Multiple cows cause crashes overnight on U.S. Highway 278

photo

COVINGTON — The Newton County Sheriff’s Office is reporting that several cows were killed along U.S. Highway 278 Wednesday night and early Thursday morning between Dixie Road and Melody Drive after they escaped their pasture at Bricton Farms on Ga. Highway 11.

Georgia State Patrol Senior Trooper M. Little said he was called in to work the two most serious crashes, but said there was a total of six wrecks caused by the black cows out on the roadway between about 10:45 and midnight.

“I’m surprised nobody was killed,” Little said. “It was a mess, I can tell you that.”

Little said the owner of the cows said that about 40 head of cattle had escaped his farm and Little estimated at least 15 or 16 of those cows were either killed outright by vehicles or had to be humanely dispatched by deputies.

“The owner didn’t know what happened. Something must have spooked them,” he said.

The two most serious crashes involved a truck that was traveling westbound on U.S. Highway 278 and hit three cows and a van, also traveling westbound, which hit and killed seven cows.

“It totaled both vehicles,” Little said. “The person in the van was injured and was treated on the scene and released.”

Little said Highway 278 was shut down almost two hours following the crashes.

Comments

Grandcanyon 2 years, 7 months ago

there is a local attorney who was running for judge (ha) that will probably represent either the injured against the cows or maybe one of the cows against the owner of the fence they got out of - either way she'll take the case

Grandcanyon 2 years, 7 months ago

These cows were in my way going to work ya'll. . Can I sue them since I live in Communist Newton?

Satan69 2 years, 7 months ago

hey you all if anyone wants to sue one of them cows that done hit your car i know an attorney who will sue dead cows

Wildwomanoftigertown 2 years, 7 months ago

We need cow crossing sign. So I heard there was lawyer that would help me with my case with the cows. Please someone I need her name and number. It's urgent One call that's all.

Beautifulblueeyes 2 years, 7 months ago

Amp, thats funny maybe when we hit chickens we should say eat more beef. I'm just shocked that many escaped that is a shame. What's really bad is the the guy who lost them I feel bad for him.

Maybe the cows wanted an education at Gpc and wanted to enroll so they decided to just wander over there and wait for an advisor. Lol. You have got to laugh people. No I know now what they were looking for they heard news of the law suit and they were coming to support Newton County all 40 of them. I want to take this time to give thanks to all the Fallen cows for there support and may you all rest in peace for the valiant effort to show your support. That is dedication people. I love cows.

If your cow family needs any representation for a lawyer for you all jaywalking I know a fabulous lawyer.

Give me a call . 1-800 ole mcdonald had a farm.

CBSfinder 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow, beautiful you were really on a roll there werent you but I have to voice a complaint I called your number and it was disconnected and my cow family really needs representation. So what do I do now? My poor cows were nicely jaywalking minding their own buisness and just because there were no cow crossing sign they got a ticket. So now I want to sue for wrongful jaywalking.

So that attorney you know is she good cause I can't have cows with a bad rep. Oh I bet she is the one who lets her client call the party while investigation is in the works. Gotcha yes give me her number.

Thanks. And my condolences to the other cows as well they were a good heard each of them very unique. Rip cows 1-40 you will be missed.

Henrycounselor 2 years, 7 months ago

I would like to take this time to offer counseling to any of the farmers who have recently lost cows due to this tragic event. Also my condolences go out to the farmer who lost the cows. Sadly these cows were on their way to the court house to help out a young lady being sued for slander and libel, however when they found out it was the wrong day they got lost and couldn't find their way home. I should have never let them talk to that attorney I knew she was nothing but trouble. You see people we have some criminal attorney's at work here in newton county now if your not careful your cows could be next. That is so sad ad they were trying to do the right thing and stand up for freedom of mooing aka speech.

Thank you at least we have some good cows left in America .

amp72 2 years, 7 months ago

I heard the farmer is married to the manager of the McDonald's on 278. Clearly this is an example of nepotism and control of the local beef industry and it must be stopped.

Littlemissmuffett 2 years, 7 months ago

I blame this on Chick fil a and will file suit against them.  Their chicken is so good that these cows were depressed and ran out into the road.  It is a sad day in the Socialist Republic of No Free Speech Newton.

Jugsapoppin 2 years, 7 months ago

So driving on i-20 today I saw the chic fil a billboard and I found it odd that the cows were in all black and it looked like they were mourning the fallen cows of newton county. So I could have sworn that the billboard said I need a lawyer please help me find one.

I could have been wrong. Oh yea I forgot to mention that viewing for the fallen cows is tonight at 8 pm at cow-an farm and the service will be tomorrow in the pasture please pay your respects to the wandering cows of newton county that were coming to voice their opinion on free speech.

Thank you the cow family!!!

amp72 2 years, 7 months ago

"Little said Highway 278 was shut down almost two hours following the crashes. Speaking of the visibility factor, Little said, “It definitely could have been worse. Every cow I saw was solid black so it was midnight to midnight.”

I'm surprised Zo hasn't chimed in and played the race card.

Yallneedprozac 2 years, 7 months ago

Dead bloated cow seeking legal counsel

Funbags78 2 years, 7 months ago

I am really sick and tired of all this talk of heffers and chickens I want me some ham.

Freshvoice2012 2 years, 7 months ago

I want you to know that those heefers have feelings. I think i'm going to to the funeral today must pay my respects to the fallen cows of Newton county. They were just going to promote free speech and help out Ms Black for being sued for opinions. Thats ok I commend the cows that was a hard decision for them to make and they sacrificed and now they are in the big farm in the sky.

nannytay 2 years, 7 months ago

Now for what really happened ... as reported by eye witnesses. 3 cows were hit. Passerbys stopped and were about to round up the rest of the cows and drive them back inside the pasture when a person of authority told his officers to just shoot all of the cows. There is animal control, there are willing folks on the scene that can get them back inside the fence - and the owners right around the corner - WITH PLENTY of staff to run over there and get them up. And yet they stand there and shoot all of them. And how does a van hit 7 cows, total the car and yet is treated and released at the scene?

Satan69 2 years, 7 months ago

Obituary for newton cows Bessie Dennis Suer Dolly Cali And all other cows passed away suddenly early Thursday morning of nepotism underneath a Mack truck the viewing and visitation were held Friday of the newton citizen The families of the cows asked that donations be made to defendant in the free speech law suit.

Mourners for the cows were overheard saying where's the beef?

amp72 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm surprised someone hasn't played the race card yet.

Cowboy41 2 years, 7 months ago

Guys and Gals,

The Alcovy Principle is one thing and totally understand were everybody has gone . I have had one to Graduate from there and one there now and can say that the school has changed a great deal. I also think that with all the talk thats going on about what the upper bees are up to can and will work themselves out of a job!!! But to blog about someone losing there livelyhood COWS that is...theres a time and a place for all this. Not trying to be debbie downer but show some compassion and the hard work that goes into working with them and feeding,vaccanate,worming and so on. Its a huge investment in the farmers behalf and for them to get out cause accidents and for someone to get hurt just made his cost double if not triple his or hers premium and that could potentially put them out of a job,farm whatever.. Thanks

Freshvoice2012 2 years, 7 months ago

Amp did you not see the comment left by Zo on the article about LC suing over web commmets? That was all he talked about is race and how we are all cowards for using web names instead of just saying who we are. Oh my goodness I think if I'm not mistaken they took the post down because it looked like he got called a hipocritical jerk because he was using a web name as well. Anyway it was there. And they are playing the race card.

Covingtonian 2 years, 7 months ago

Cowboy41 I couldn't agree with you more about a time and place, it just goes to show how a few are so obsessed that they just don't know when to stop. I believe the citizen newspaper is afraid to censor their comments so we just have to suffer with there inappropriate comments and attempts at humor. The more they rant the more I can see the validity in the lawsuit whether I agree with it are not. Amp72 is quick to try and race bait. I have decided not to comment any further on the Alcovy issue until after the court hearing.

OnToday 2 years, 7 months ago

If I have to suffer through your self-righteous whining then you have to suffer through my attempts at humor. Seems fair to me.