School superintendent addresses Alcovy web comments

Dear Citizens of Newton County:

During the past many months, hundreds of comments have been registered through anonymous blogs of the Newton Citizen related to Alcovy High School, its principal, and the school system's deputy superintendent for operations who is married to Alcovy's principal. And, from my perspective, respecting all others who might dissent from my own view, I do not believe our community — nor a sense of what is right, good, and honorable — is well served by anonymous assertions that cast dispersion and derision towards school officials without an overt factual basis.

If, as bloggers have asserted, there is missing funds or a principal purchasing "tequila" on a student trip, then such complaints should be lodged in my office. To date, no one has offered such for my investigation. Nonetheless, regarding both of these anonymous claims, the public must know that we audit school financial records each year through an outside agent (Susan Allie, Financial Audit Services, McDonough, Georgia). To date, no missing funds have been recorded by auditors and brought to my attention related to Alcovy. Additionally, I have asked the Alcovy principal directly as to these anonymous assertions and she categorically denies each.

During the course of the last two years, I have made a dozen or more visits to Alcovy High School unannounced in addition to several visits when others knew of my presence ahead of time. At no time, during any of these visits, have I witnessed the out-of-control school environment that a number of bloggers have asserted. Nonetheless, like other schools in Newton County and elsewhere, there have been food fights, fist fights, and other misbehavior by a very small contingency of students, who seem to forget what school is for and the kind of civil conduct that school demands. And, while I may not be aware of every discipline incident at Alcovy or any other school for that matter, what I do know is that Alcovy's principal has acted swiftly to enforce a safe and orderly climate within the school in all matters of which I am directly aware.

On the matters above, the (Newton County Board of Education) and I are in unanimous agreement.

I have always respected the right of citizens and employees to speak their mind and have always encouraged this as a school leader. It is the way I have conducted budget reduction hearings, leadership team meetings, and teacher forums. Those who know my leadership style, know that I encourage debate of educational issues. We learn more from each other through such dialogue. That said, there may be a proverbial line that even anonymous bloggers should not cross for the sake of civility and what's moral under God's creation.

At this point, given Principal Carpenter's lawsuit requesting that the Newton Citizen give up the identities of the anonymous bloggers, the legal process may have to determine what's permissible and what's not.

Sincerely,

Gary S. Mathews, Ph. D.

COVINGTON -- Newton County School System Superintendent Gary Mathews issued a statement to citizens during Tuesday's monthly work session addressing web comments about Alcovy High School, its principal and her husband.

After the work session and following the Newton County Board of Education's second hour-long executive session of the night, Mathews read the statement during open session and also emailed it to his email list after the meeting.

It addressed negative comments posted on the Newton Citizen website by anonymous users about Alcovy High School and Principal LaQuanda Carpenter, as well as her husband Dr. Dennis Carpenter, who is deputy superintendent of Operations at NCSS.

"From my perspective, respecting all others who might dissent from my own view, I do not believe our community -- nor a sense of what is right, good, and honorable -- is well served by anonymous assertions that cast dispersion and derision towards school officials without an overt factual basis," Mathews wrote in the letter.

He said that complaints about missing school funds or inappropriate behavior should be sent to his office, and to date, no one has offered such complaints against Alcovy High School for his investigation.

"Nonetheless ... the public must know that we audit school financial records each year through an outside agent (Susan Allie, Financial Audit Services, McDonough, Georgia). To date, no missing funds have been recorded by auditors and brought to my attention related to Alcovy," Mathews wrote. "Additionally, I have asked the Alcovy principal directly as to these anonymous assertions and she categorically denies each."

He said over the last two years that he has worked as NCSS superintendent, he has made a dozen or more unannounced visits to Alcovy High in addition to several visits when others knew of his presence ahead of time.

"At no time, during any of these visits, have I witnessed the out-of-control school environment that a number of bloggers have asserted. Nonetheless, like other schools in Newton County and elsewhere, there have been food fights, fist fights, and other misbehavior by a very small contingency of students, who seem to forget what school is for and the kind of civil conduct that school demands," Mathews wrote. "And, while I may not be aware of every discipline incident at Alcovy or any other school for that matter, what I do know is that Alcovy's principal has acted swiftly to enforce a safe and orderly climate within the school in all matters of which I am directly aware."

He said that while he respects the rights of citizens and employees to speak their minds and debate educational issues, "there may be a proverbial line that even anonymous bloggers should not cross for the sake of civility and what's moral under God's creation.

"At this point, given Principal Carpenter's lawsuit requesting that the Newton Citizen give up the identities of the anonymous bloggers, the legal process may have to determine what's permissible and what's not," Mathews ended.

The school board also unanimously passed a recommendation from Mathews, who brought it to them under their direction, to approve items discussed in executive session with the exception of two that the board and he talked about, which he did not make public. Mathews said Wednesday that he cannot comment on personnel items discussed in executive session.

On the personnel recommendations sheet approved by the board and provided after the vote, Mathews noted that the board approved the transfer of Chris Haymore, current assistant principal at Alcovy High School, to assistant principal at Mansfield Elementary School, effective July 16 to replace Lynne DiNardo. The board previously approved DiNardo to replace outgoing Mansfield Elementary Principal G.W. Davis.

He also noted that Gabriel Burnette, who was working as an administrator on assignment between Alcovy and Newton high schools, will be assistant principal at Alcovy High effective July 16, replacing Haymore.

Comments

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

Am I missing something here? Does Dr. Mathews not understand that people in the building at this school won't come forward and express concerns because as soon as they do it will get back to the building before they do, and that they will have a giant bullseye on their backs? Does he not understand the potentially awkward position faculty and staff are put in because of who the principal is married to? Does he not talk to the members of the BOE who, as far as I understand, have been inundated with phone calls and emails from current and former faculty and staff who have plenty of stories to tell about Alcovy? Yes Dr. Mathews, I too would like for people to speak openly and publicly without being anonymous but THAT CANNOT HAPPEN! What don't you understand? Am I missing something? Are we all just crazy and have lost our minds? How can so many people be wrong? Sorry, not buying it. But hey, that's just MY OPINION. Sue me. No wait, forget I said that!

Zo 1 year, 11 months ago

Well said Dr. Matthew!!! Other words stop hiding behind your virtual hoods with baseless claims. Sadly, you folks are upset that a highly educated professional couple are making things happen in Newton.

I'm glad Dr. Carpenter took you ALLon, so get your note books, pens and get some facts instead of making up things because you jealous (I did well I didn't mention race was a factor).With hard work you can have "Dr" placed in front of your names and marry someone with the same "Dr" in front of their name.

Remember, this is the land of the free and ALL can be what they desire to be.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

"Virtual hoods?" So can I sue you for implying that I am in the Klan? Why don't you identify yourself? Yeah, thought so.

You are right about one thing. It IS the land of the free so I should be free to say what I want. And I do have facts to back it up.

Romulus 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah, I have my virtual hoodie on! 'Cause I AM a hoodie ninja! haha! I suppose if "making things happen" includes AHS's successful race to the bottom in academics and a general increase in violence, disruption and bullying in our schools, then I guess they are successful.
Unfortunately it also means that future generations are robbed of the very education that these two have enjoyed using to leverage themselves into positions of power and influence. And with a culture of nepotism and intimidation hanging over the HR dept. it is my opinion that it is unlikely to change any time soon.

Covingtonian 1 year, 11 months ago

There you go "Zo", bringing up Race when the situation should be about Right and Wrong. There are idiots in all races as well as people who don't and want do the right thing. I will say this, "amp72" seems to be using this space as her own place for getting attention. I would like to suggest that a "letter to the editor" would be a better venue for her. Remember the story about the child who cried wolf.....I'm afraid that she may have something of "substance" to add and I may miss it because of so many comments that have one central theme but nothing new. Please "amp72" give it a rest. This isn't meant to be harsh, just my reality.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

Getting attention? If I wanted attention don't you think I would identify myself? No, I want attention directed where it belongs, on this absurd situation. I feel passionately about this and I won't apologize for that. This situation IS about right and wrong and the way teachers are being treated is wrong.

HonestAbe 1 year, 11 months ago

Virtual Hood. Is that not what Zo and Covingtonian have on as well? Are they not also exercising their freedom of speech by posting under screen names? Can we also say the members of the Newton County School board are hiding behind their virtual hood by not stating each's stand on this lawsuit against freedom of speech. Is this what Mr Mathews and the board want taught in our school system- that they do not believe in the US CONSTITUTION. Come on- You have pointed out that the Carpenter's have Dr in front of their names. They should be SMART enough to know that PUBLIC figures will be talked about and have to be tough enough to take trhe heat. They should be smart enough to know that as a married couple working in the same school system- they would be talked about and looked at much closer than others. They should have been smart enough to review all of this before getting married. That is why most businsess have a policy against married couples working in the same area. The Newton County School Board should be smart enough to have a policy in place. I have ONE horse in this race. I believe the US Constitution should be potected as written by our forefathers in every attempt( Such as MRS LINDSEY is doing here). to change it. It gripes me when people like Covingtonian and ZO freely use their Freedom of speech than seem to imply that others shouldn't. To me that is being two- faced.

HonestAbe 1 year, 11 months ago

Amp i do not know you but i respect the stand you are taking. I don't respect other's who would try and make this a race card. I hate the kkk and the black panthers, not because they exercise their freedom of speech but they use violence to do it. When they use violence it's hinders our ability to exercise our freedom of speech. It is strange that you are getting these attacks immediately after the board meeting and the special executive sessions of the school board. I believe you are now facing a CONCERTED effort to flush your identy out. STAND YOUR GROUND. Just remember that the one's posting against you also have the right to speak their opinions and the Citizen is doing right by posting both sides of this argument. If these plaintiff's and their supporters flush out all the defendants before the hearing, they will have won without the hearing. This case has extreme importance in Newton County. If the plaintiff's win this case it could lead to many, many, mor false lawsuits filed by other public figures as well as elected officials if they choose to. WE AS BELIEVERS OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND THE PRESS can not afford to lose this case. Please stick to your guns not only for yourself but also for people like me who believe the constitution should be left along by people who are behind this suit. I don't know if everything you have posted is true, but i know much must be for this much reaction to come against you, mrs black, and the teacher Mrs Finley. In any case you have the right to voice your opinion under the 1st amendent. To me, to lose this case would be like the government or certain people within, saying they can come to our homes and take away all our guns (2nd amendment). It would also suggest they could tell us what religion we have to practice ( another part of the 1st amendment. It would also suggest they could tell the Press what they can print, and to tell us we could not protest about what we believe is wrong with the government ( other parts of the 1st amendments). I'm am utterly surprised the our local Republican Party has not come out to take a stand on this attack on the 1st amendment.

UGAFan 1 year, 11 months ago

Well Zo, I can say your post pretty much missed the entire target and holds ZERO credibility.

First, you bring up the race card, which is a red flag and a sign of total desperation in an attempt to strengthen your argument. I do not remember any one of the posters attacking Dr. Carpenter because of her color, but instead, over her performance. I would equate this to the Japanese using Kamikaze pilots to attack ships during WWII, a total desperation move.

Secondly, one of the main issues these posters have is the fact that this is a clear example of why nepotism should not be allowed to take place. It seems that everytime someone brings an issue up to the BOE it somehow gets back to Dr. Carpenter. How you ask? Because her husband is Deputy Superintendent of Operations and works for the Superindendent, and as Deputy Superindendent of Operations, he is in charge of the Director of Human Resources. Who do the employees go to in order to voice concerns or issue formal complaints: Human Resources... Do you see the obvious conflict and why these people are concerned and why it would appear that people who complain are subjected to being reprimanded by Dr. Carpenter??

Lastly, and this is important, so pay close attention. While I would be personally proud to have completed the level of education to be labeled a Dr. (I personally stopped after getting my MBA), and achieving this is a great moment for anyone; it is afterall just a title on a certificate. It means that they paid a college, provided the student kept the miminmum GPA, to sit in a classroom to be taught. Just because someone goes to school and gets a PhD, does not mean they are good leaders, teachers, or administrators. It makes them no better than the next person.

John 1 year, 11 months ago

Totally agree with UGAFan. The only thing that earning a Dr. degree in the educational field will assure is a higher salary, but does not guarantee the person is a better teacher and/or administrator.

Frustrated 1 year, 11 months ago

Just because you have a degree or "Dr" in front of your name doesnt mean you have a lick of common sense.

Zo 1 year, 11 months ago

Nepotism has been the fundamental hiring practice in society (its not what you know but who you know) If any of you work I bet there are family members throughout that company. Now all of a sudden you have two Blacks in power it's an issue. I always say you think wrong because you doing wrong. Other words when the shoe was on the other foot, the white foot(nepotism) you knew billy and ray got their jobs because of daddy.

Again, if the root is jealous of this powerful couple take that up with the school board.

And now for those of you who don't have degrees and/or stopped pursuing a degree stop hating on those who do. University of Georgia must be relevant because it's turning away students who dream of a degree which in turn affords you the option to be principal or head of HR.

The facts lend to the side of hate on two successful Blacks, because no one has proven misconduct by either of the two successful Black people. Sorry, maybe next time.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

Please go away. You offer nothing of substance to this conversation, especially when you bring race into it. No one else brought up race because it has nothing to do with it.

Yeah, I'm really jealous of a couple who IN MY OPINION are not effective in their current positions. I don't care if you're black, white or polka dotted. If you threaten lawsuits against people who criticize you then I can't respect you. Period.

Zo 1 year, 11 months ago

I didn't know the race until Rockdale & Newton Citizen placed that large colored photo of Dr. C (http://www.newtoncitizen.com/news/201...) in their article to fight the subpoena.

So maybe we need to ask the paper for the need to post the picture? Oddly, the 2 teachers who were hiding behind their virtual hood, had been suspended for a lack of performance I didn't see the paper post their pictures.

And just for the record, this county has had plenty of failing schools with white principles, but I don't see their picture in the paper and you all complaining.

UGAFan 1 year, 11 months ago

Zo, while I admire your passion for the defense of these people in this situation you are mixing facts/ficition and shows a clear sign of desperation in trying to prove your stand.

You brought up race FACT Having a degree does not mean you are good at your job: FACT Alcovy High School is lagging in performance: FACT There is a clear conflict in the reporting relationship between the Carpenters: FACT These users are allowed to voice their opinion: FACT The Carprenters are successful: If you consider a failing school a success: FACT otherwise, TBD Having two blacks in positions of power an issue: FICITION People were hating on people with degrees: FICTION The side of hate on two successful people because they are black: FICITION Employees at AHS fear for the jobs for bringing up issues: FACT

Strike 2

John 1 year, 11 months ago

I worked in the private sector for over 41 years with several major companies and only recall two basic company policies regarding the hiring practices of relatives in the same company/organization to avoid nepotism. 1. No relative and/or spouse could work in the same department or chain of command as any other relative to avoid nepotism. This was the most common. 2. The other was no relative and/or spouse could work at the same company period. If a couple working at the same company dated and later married - one of them had to choose to leave - the couple could pick.
FYI, nepotism is favoritism granted to relatives regardless of merit. Nepotism is not a "fundamental hiring practice in society" but rather the possible result of hiring relatives or spouses. Nepotism thrives in small family owned businesses but not so much with larger employers. It is true the chance of getting hired is greater (but not a guarantee) if you know someone on the inside that knows you & your capabilities. It seems to me that you, "Zo", are the only one playing the race card in this thread. The real issue here is the "quality of education & the educational environment" of students at one Newton County high school - not who is in charge. The tax payers & parents of students of this county expect and deserve better achievement levels of students that what has been recently demonstrated - these are published facts. Those in charge are accountable or should be for "their report cards" no matter who they are. FYI, I do have a BS in engineering with a BA minor & an MBA, product management emphasis which was earned in the evenings/week-ends while working.

momofone 1 year, 11 months ago

I work for the State of Ga and I am the only one in my family that does. I think you are a little confused Zo. I was hired on my merits and my merits alone, becuase I was the best candidate for the job, not becuase of who I knew. I think you might need to adjust your thinking.

Satan69 1 year, 11 months ago

If Mr. Matthews will interview the band director and his wife and promise their safety and will interview the adult business partners who were at "the dinner" in question he will learn the truth

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

Zo, if I'm such a racist as you claim then how do you explain my complimenting Dr. Sams at Newton High School for working hard to turn that school around? How do you explain my criticism of how Dr. Mathews has handled this situation? Race has nothing to do with this and shame on you for bringing that into the discussion. This is about right and wrong, effective and ineffective, and what's best for the teachers and students in this county. Playing the race card is an act of desperation and you should be ashamed. I might file a lawsuit to learn your name so I can sue you for damages because apparently that's how it works around here.

Covingtonian 1 year, 11 months ago

Factoid: 1 week 5 days ago amp72 stated these exact words "And the next thing you know we'll have Al Sharpton and the NAACP here! LOL!" this was cut and paste from one of her 140 comments that I mentioned in an earlier post. Obsessed to the point of not remembering what she has stated previously. I'm not taking sides with Zo but let's keep this "about right and wrong". It seems to me that amp72 did bring Race into this, Now I'll just continue to observe. I was multi tasking and inadvertently posted this under the wrong story, I know some will jump all over this. By the way this is the correct story.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

It's called sarcasm, poking fun at people who inevitably bring race into every argument. And lo and behold, true to form, that's exxactly what happened.

bartsimpson 1 year, 11 months ago

For what it's worth, I never knew the race of either Dr Carpenter until Zo mentioned it! Just something to think about.

Zo 1 year, 11 months ago

Well I was like you about the race I didn't know until Rockdale & Newton Citizen placed that large colored photo of Dr. C (http://www.newtoncitizen.com/news/201...) in their article to fight the subpoena.

So maybe we need to ask the paper for the need to post the picture? Oddly, the 2 teachers who were hiding behind the virtual hood the paper, had been suspended for a lack of performance I didn't see post their pictures.

And just for the record, this county has had plenty of failing schools with white principles, but I didn't see their picture and you all complaining.

bartsimpson 1 year, 11 months ago

My point being, ZO, what does race have to do with this issue?

bartsimpson 1 year, 11 months ago

Zo, I just saw where the Citizen had another principals picture in the paper. Renee Mallard of Indian Creek.

Pounder 1 year, 11 months ago

"University of Georgia must be relevant because it's turning away students who dream of a degree which in turn affords you the option to be principal or head of HR."

Zo, By "turning away students" do you mean prospective students did not get accepted? That would be because they did not meet the criteria (high SAT score and grades). My advice to wanna be students would be to work harder, and not just "dream of a degree". UGA has high standards (thankfully) and they should uphold those standards. Besides being a fine univerisity, UGA prides itself in having diverse students with different cultural backgrounds and offers and welcomes many opportuntites of all races/cultures to become involved so great minds can work and learn together.

Yallneedprozac 1 year, 11 months ago

Reading Dr Mathews letter makes me suspect something.  Is this the original letter?  Why write this it only highlights the nepotism.  Citizen ask the question Was there another version?

Freshvoice2012 1 year, 11 months ago

Dear Teedoffparent.  U just put it all together 4 us.  That is why he stayed to the very end when no one else did he wanted to see if he had won and beat out the supt.  We sat there like huh?

HonestAbe 1 year, 11 months ago

To me the one who Free Speech helped trememdously also had a Dr in front of his name.Dr King. I bet if he was watching this today he would be on the side of free speech. So don't even try tomake this a race issue because it isn;t. Some or 0ne is trying to make it a race issue because they have no other stand. It would not surprise me if this race issue wasn't being pushed by at least one member of the board.

Satan69 1 year, 11 months ago

Well I think that Newton County needs a formal name change to Communist Newton or United Socialist Republic of Newton something like a suer principal who will drive all of the Baxter residents across the county line.  Can you imagine?  I've been told they are looking at this and laughing out loud as in LOL.  Walton schools already got their vote.  We have lost so many great teachers when will it stop.

Satan69 1 year, 11 months ago

Did ya'll see this at the Rockdale Poll?  I love this:  Lately, I have been hearing some highly educated people using some incorrect grammar that makes them sound uneducated. The first mistake is using the word 'on' with 'tomorrow' or 'yesterday.' Example: 'We will meet with the managers on tomorrow.' You can drop the 'on' because it is redundant. Second is dropping the apostrophe 's' from someone's name showing possession. Example: 'I am walking over to David house.' I have been hearing these mistakes a lot lately and seeing them written in reports and even signs. If you are in a management position or especially if you are a teacher, please do not talk this way. It makes you and anyone who copies you sound real country. Don't take offense, just change it for the betterment of our kids who could hear it and mimic it."

John 1 year, 11 months ago

Satan 69, I don't disagree with what your wrote here, but explain how how do do your hear something that is presented in written form.

Satan69 1 year, 11 months ago

John, I was copying and pasting from the Rockdale Poll silly.  The person who posted it there wrote

John 1 year, 11 months ago

No one silly here - just had a hard time following your road map. It is always a good idea if you are quoting someone to use quotation marks.

Zo 1 year, 11 months ago

A group of kids playing cards? Not sure what the item on the floor is, but trying to understand your point?

Frustrated 1 year, 11 months ago

Oz if you cant see the point then you are only one. Kids playing cards in school when they should be learning? Dr Matthews said he had never winessed any unruly behavior. Oh wait, they arent being unruly right? They are just sitting there playing cards. I just wonder where the chips are

OnToday 1 year, 11 months ago

I must have missed something because I don't remember seeing playing cards and listening to iPods and hanging out like this is your momma's basement on the GA state standards.

Freshvoice2012 1 year, 11 months ago

It is very simple to follow his point Zo I think it's kids violating school policy. What the point is is the school is line that daily and where Is administration? Of course everyone is fixated on the parents but not the people that are supposed to be making sure the kids are doing what they are supposed to be doing like following rules.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

Less than 2 weeks left in the school year and NOW they are doing random dress code checks at AHS. What? Shouldn't you do that in the FIRST two weeks of school? I guess someone is feeling the pressure to do something.

Zo 1 year, 11 months ago

You know what they say about assume...what time of day was this photo taken? I think we should be able to specify a time, teacher, & class if during normal school hours. How do even know thats the school? But it didn't take much for you to run to the negative. And whatever that is on the ground has the person with the phone out caught up...maybe they should hv been listening to the teacher.

Frustrated 1 year, 11 months ago

Oz read the caption underneath the photo "Welcome to Alcovy lol"

Watermelonlover 1 year, 11 months ago

If you dig at Clements you will find the same thing.  If you dig a little beneath the surface at Flint Hill you will find the same even a non-renewed situation that he has moved and hired and protected.  It does run deep.  Romulus is correct. Continue the good research and put it to the board in calls, emails and at the meetings.  Force the hands of elected officials to improve our schools and throw the two up for re-election out the door this year.  We need new blood and term limits on this board

Crazyhooker99 1 year, 11 months ago

I would like an investigation maybe an AG one like the illegal meeting to find out which board member called two central office employees threatening them with GBI investigations if they talked about things outside he central office.  People talk and we really know who did this but we want this out in the paper to show who these people really may be.

OnToday 1 year, 11 months ago

Check this out. This is NCSS policy, from their own website. So how is it that the Carpenters can continue to do what they are doing, and how is it that Dennis Carpenter could have a business with former NHS principal Roderick Sams and get away with it?

Dr. Mathews, it's time to wake up and do something about this because clearly it is doing nothing but causing problems.

Crazyhooker99 1 year, 11 months ago

I know that's right. I just can't see how this is even going on and everybody knows it. However then some people want to bad mouth others for opinion when you have even bigger issues going on please people get a grip.

Freshvoice2012 1 year, 11 months ago

This whole law suit has turned into a he said she said match and it is childish now we have a board member being labeled as unstable and is far from it. Then we have parents being asscused of being other commentators. Who cares if they comment I mean thats what this comment section is for to voice opinions and talk and try to get answers which aren't really getting except being told that we have no freedom of speech and we shouldn't hide fake handles to voice our opinions well it is our God given right to do so. The last time I checked being vocal wasnt a crime niether was saying I think maybe she could do a little better job at the school. WOW that is something to sue over? Im just flabergasted that grown people that are supposed to be setting an example for our kids pull this childish behavior. When your in the public eye Mrs Carpenter expect people not to like you because not everyone will but that doesnt mean they are attacking you. It is just the way life is.

OnToday 1 year, 11 months ago

That's the way Tiger Town works. Any disagreement is viewed as an attack. And anything negative is quickly silenced for fear the public will find out that it is not a perfect place.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 11 months ago

I sure hope whoever was called unstable files a slander and harassment lawsuit against the Carpenter lawyer.  I know at least two people who heard it.   Keep the tips coming folks.

Henrycounselor 1 year, 11 months ago

The food this year is not as good as last year but I love retirement dinners.  I wonder if "SHE" knows it's me.  I could reach out and touch.  Ain't life grand?  Am I a toad, a blogger king or queen or am I just sitting on the  board?  Or am I part of the Inner Circle.

Shannonofmanycolors 1 year, 11 months ago

This whole law suit has become a fishing expedition and a blame game. Say fishing because now she is fishing for things to sue about I guess may be the non responsive defendants are upsetting her. Who know right. Silence is golden my friend.

OnToday 1 year, 11 months ago

Yep. I look at it this way, if there is no accountability for her inability to control the school and improve academic achievement (8% pass rate on the Math EOCT) then why should there be accountability on the part of the community for complaining? Seems to me there is a double standard there. She needs to clean up her own backyard before she worries about what others are doing.

ontomorrow 1 year, 11 months ago

I have to agree with you 100% On today. That is exactly true she does need to worry about what is going on with her school and that horrible pass rate then worry about what others are blogging, commenting or whatever else. I mean the school needs help and her thinking everything else is important is beyond me. Come on really!!!! It seems to me she is so focused on these comments and calling board members unstable then what's even going on in the school. What a shame these kids suffer.

Unstableone 1 year, 11 months ago

So I wonder do they really think i'm unstable? I wonder what the M.O of that comment is and why it was said. Can I be sued for being unstable. I think that maybe the comment needs to directed somewhere else, look else where for the unstable party cause it isn't here. Wait who am I anyway do you even know? Probably not but it bothers you. Given the fact we all work in the same inner circle you should know me.

Worry about focusing on the school instead of focusing your attention on my fascinating person. The school needs help look at the Math scores and grad rates. I'm the last of your worries. AHS is your first priority..

Henrycounselor 1 year, 11 months ago

She needs to clean up her own backyard before she worries about what others are doing. Truer words have never been spoken and thank you On today for saying that. THis needs to be done before you call people unstable. Especially those who do everything in their power to make sure that the teachers and student body are taken care of.

Henrycounselor 1 year, 11 months ago

My first child was at alcovy when dave easterday was principal.  Was a great school then.

Henrycounselor 1 year, 11 months ago

So tell me what does being unstable and this law suit have to do with anything? I think it is sad when people have to sit around and make up silly accusations about board members, especially the board member being focused on is the hardest working and has the best relationship wih the kids and also the teachers. If you want to label that unstable please by all means. I call it dedication. However it doesn't matter what I think or what this people say or voice it comes down to the plain and simple fact of who is who. So the question is am I all these people you think I am or how many of them am I really? I say if you can do the process of elimination and figure us all out go ahead you only have oh say maybe 30,000 people happy hunting.

In the mean time can we help this school that so desperately needs our attention? Please bring the focus back down to Alcovy . That's what I'm here to do not make judgement on someone's mental state.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 11 months ago

Greetings & Salutations to my Newton County Peeps.  I have received so many calls and messages and thank you.  I will be putting out a letter to the editor of both local Newton papers in the next week with some of the details of tips, facts and requests sent to the central office to be investigated.  If the papers put it out there it will shed light on the motive for this lawsuit, the first of its kind in the US and an attack on your and my freedom of the press and freedom of speech.  I received a tip last week that enrollment in NCSS continues to drop.  Would you want to send your kid to NCSS if you are moving for Baxter with a suer principal?  Thank you to the tipsters and the Inner Circle members who have chosen to part ways with LC.

Unstableone 1 year, 11 months ago

Isn't it SLANDER Ms. Lindsey - attorney at LAW - to go into a meeting with multiple individuals and label someone "unstable"?  Isn't that slander?  Just checking.  This will haunt you in court.  We promise.  Making allegations that someone is doing something under pseudonyms and labeling that person "unstable" is SLANDER lady.

Henrycounselor 1 year, 11 months ago

she is pretending to be me - the word is out

Hi it's HenryCounselor better known as one of your NCSS Board Members and here is on today's greeting:  Alcovy High has a disproportionate numbe rof math EOCT failures.  Check into it.

Unstableone 1 year, 11 months ago

I need some help I need someone to point me in the direction of U/A meeting. Since your wondering that is referred to as unstable anonymous meeting. That's ok though because they are fun to go to and they point fingers at normal people. So we all have so much in common.

Unstableone 1 year, 11 months ago

I hope that at the motion to quash hearing on June 14 they not only quash the subpoena but quash the whole plaintiff team with a southern iron skillet for making us look so awful with companies watching what goes on in our paper.  These jerks don't care about education or our community and that is my darn opinion so sue ME.

Satan69 1 year, 11 months ago

In my opinion she is unfit to be a judge on sesame street

Jugsapoppin 1 year, 11 months ago

Dear LAQUANDA carpenter All of these opinions are based on a few facts . Since you took over at AHS with no high school experience the graduation rate are lower then ever the test scores stink the arrest record is worse then we have ever seen the writing on the bathroom walls is bad. Children in the woods breaking in to cars in the parking lot and cussing at us. In my opinion you are a horrible principal. I know who I am and sue me if you can.

bmw28 1 year, 10 months ago

**Good Afternoon, I have read every post here and I think it is safe to say that we as people, county, parents, educators etc. have forgotten our roll. We should ask (am I doing whats right or whats in the best interest of the children of Newton County) ? Ok maybe mistakes where made by all involed but nobodies perfect an all are to be forgiven. Wonder why the kids do what they do just stroll back up this page and there's your answer. It's almost like that old saying: do what I tell you to but not as I do. Come on Newton County** lets put all this behind us and lets start working on becoming better.