Mathews addresses web comments

COVINGTON — Newton County School System Superintendent Gary Mathews issued a statement to citizens during Tuesday's monthly work session addressing web comments about Alcovy HIgh School, its principal and her husband.

After the work session and following an hour-long executive session, Mathews read the statement during open session and also e-mailed it to his e-mail list:

"Dear Citizens of Newton County:

During the past many months, hundreds of comments have been registered through anonymous blogs of the Newton Citizen related to Alcovy High School, its principal, and the school system's deputy superintendent for operations who is married to Alcovy's principal. And, from my perspective, respecting all others who might dissent from my own view, I do not believe our community — nor a sense of what is right, good, and honorable — is well served by anonymous assertions that cast dispersion and derision towards school officials without an overt factual basis.

If, as bloggers have asserted, there is missing funds or a principal purchasing 'tequila' on a student trip, then such complaints should be lodged in my office. To date, no one has offered such for my investigation. Nonetheless, regarding both of these anonymous claims, the public must know that we audit school financial records each year through an outside agent (Susan Allie, Financial Audit Services, McDonough, Georgia). To date, no missing funds have been recorded by auditors and brought to my attention related to Alcovy. Additionally, I have asked the Alcovy principal directly as to these anonymous assertions and she categorically denies each.

During the course of the last two years, I have made a dozen or more visits to Alcovy High School unannounced in addition to several visits when others knew of my presence ahead of time. At no time, during any of these visits, have I witnessed the out-of-control school environment that a number of bloggers have asserted. Nonetheless, like other schools in Newton County and elsewhere, there have been food fights, fist fights, and other misbehavior by a very small contingency of students, who seem to forget what school is for and the kind of civil conduct that school demands. And, while I may not be aware of every discipline incident at Alcovy or any other school for that matter, what I do know is that Alcovy's principal has acted swiftly to enforce a safe and orderly climate within the school in all matters of which I am directly aware.

On the matters above, the (Newton County Board of Education) and I are in unanimous agreement.

I have always respected the right of citizens and employees to speak their mind and have always encouraged this as a school leader. It is the way I have conducted budget reduction hearings, leadership team meetings, and teacher forums. Those who know my leadership style, know that I encourage debate of educational issues. We learn more from each other through such dialogue. That said, there may be a proverbial line that even anonymous bloggers should not cross for the sake of civility and what's moral under God's creation.

At this point, given Principal Carpenter's lawsuit requesting that the Newton Citizen give up the identities of the anonymous bloggers, the legal process may have to determine what's permissible and what's not.

Sincerely,

Gary S. Mathews, Ph. D."

The school board also unanimously passed a recommendation from Mathews to approve items discussed in executive session with the exception of two that the board and he talked about, which he did not make public.

On the personnel recommendations provided after the vote, Mathews noted that the board approved the transfer of Chris Haymore, current assistant principal at Alcovy High School, to assistant principal at Mansfield Elementary School, effective July 16 to replace Lynne DiNardo. DiNardo was previously approved to replace outgoing Mansfield Elementary Principal G.W. Davis.

He also noted that Gabriel Burnette, who was working as assistant principal on assignment at Alcovy and Newton high schools, will be assistant principal at Alcovy High effective July 16, replacing Haymore.

Comments

Blueeyeddevil 1 year, 11 months ago

are they really going to let this conflict of interest exist?  throw all five of them OUT

Littlemissmuffett 1 year, 11 months ago

I have talked with Mr. Matthews about how this conflict is hurting our county and damaging the employee spirit.  I cannot believe this.

Funbags78 1 year, 11 months ago

This is the most tone deaf school board.  The entire count is sick of this contaminated HR marriage mess.  What is it they are missing.

CBSfinder 1 year, 11 months ago

Ahs is going straight to hell after this gets out.

Covingtonian 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank you Dr. Mathews for finally responding. After reading your response I'm afraid I may have jumped the proverbial gun about the situation at Alcovy High. I noticed that there are, as of this writing, 181 comments under the Heading "popular stories" and the sub heading "Alcovy principal sues over website comments". What I had failed to take note of intially was that 140 of those comments come from one individual, "Amp72". Also "Henrycounselor" mentions either the school board or Alcovy some 28 times. People that's only two commentors with 168 less than favorable comments between them. Check for yourself, you only have to click on their screen name then click on comments. Although these two individuals and the less than twenty others who comment on the "atmosphere" at Alcovy may have reasons to be upset, Dr. Mathews has clearly asked that he be given facts that can substantiate the charges. I'm willing to wait and see/hear these facts before passing judgment. I would also like to extend an apology to Ms. Lindsay and Mrs. Carpenter for not waiting for all the facts to be aired. I do not have a child at Alcovy but am a tax payer in this county and have a vested interest in what takes place within said county, I also believe in Fairness to ALL.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah, never mind the fact that Mr. Meadors and others have received DOZENS of phone calls and emails from current and former employees. I believe in fairness too but if they're going to base everything on a few trips to the school and what the principal tells him then I guess that's all the facts we need, right?

I think you need to read the comments again. If you want all the facts then the facts say I and "Henrycounselor" are not the only two commenting unfavorably. And why do people comment anonymously? Well I think we found out last week when a teacher was suspended. THAT'S why. I have every right to comment, be it anonymously or not.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 11 months ago

I think that everybody has a right to express what they want however some should have read before posting I will give you that. Even though going through the comments noone had really said anything so extremely bad for everyone to get bent out of shape this badly. Know one has honestly personally attacked her , some have commented on her role as a principal being is she doing her job? Well I'm not there I can't tell you. Again though this is freedom of speech and these people were voicing opinion not calling her this and that or threatening her. So I don't think it should have gone this far.

Yea is it good Mr Matthews responded and yes I agree we need all the facts first. Only time will tell. Let's see we're it goes from here.

Truckermother 1 year, 11 months ago

Dr. Matthews where did all of the money come from to buy 20.00 Keith L Brown books for every teacher - horrible silly juvenile books - what public money?

gotoutofnewtoncounty 1 year, 11 months ago

That's funny, because as a parent I've been to the school unannounced plenty of times as well. Every time I've been there it's like a zoo. Running, yelling, teachers yelling, an office full of students wanting to talk to the principal about changing classes because they are being bullied, students in trouble for fighting, etc. A nurses office full of kids crying about their boyfriends and how they got in fistfights in the hall. I've even seen kids pushing, fighting and selling drugs in full view of the faculty. Are you sure we were at the same school?

Wildwomanoftigertown 1 year, 11 months ago

pull the roster of all adults on the FL band trip and find out what happened at dinner - it did not stay in Florida but then again it was not Vegas

Frustrated 1 year, 11 months ago

Did anyone really think Matthews would support anyone other than the Carpenters? Guess he HAD to make it look like there are only a few making the problem look worse than it is. All you have to do is read the articles printed about the problems at AHS in local papers.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

Or talk to the dozens of current and former employees. They are in the building every day, not just a few times, and they see it all. And this statement is exactly why no one steps up and speaks out. Because you are ignored and then reprimanded. And why did no one speak to Jeff Meadors, the BOE member who represents this district. He tells a far different tale from what we read here. There is an obvious disconnect here and it is baffling to say the least.

UGAFan 1 year, 11 months ago

I have NO kids in Newton County Schools, but the parents I know that have kids that go to Alcovy, and the students that go to Alcovy, have stated to me several times the atmosphere of "the inmates running the prison" are correct and that the school is a place that good students have a hard time getting an education.

I stand firm in my support of those who have voiced THEIR OPINION on these boards.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

Never mind the fact the fact that the school has not improved under the current administration's watch. Why are teachers held to a standard that administrators are not? Dr. Mathews may think things are under control at the school but the police reports, and graduation and testing numbers tell a story that can't be denied. I don't know anything about any alleged missing funds and never commented on such things. But I do know about these other issues.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

I love the sound of wagons circling in the morning.

bartsimpson 1 year, 11 months ago

Dr Matthews, please address the possibility of nepotism violations and teachers being dismissed at ACHS for what appears to be retaliatory in nature.

Romulus 1 year, 11 months ago

The poor academic performance of Alcovy High School is a matter of public record, for which I would expect our Superintendent to be aware. I would also expect our Superintendent to be aware of the apparent conflict of interest in having one spouse effectively hiring and supervising another. These are not matters of opinion, but of fact, which have not been addressed.

The intent and nature of this attempt to silence dissension represents a clear and persistent pattern of attempts to intimidate any who exercise their right to free expression. Openness from employees is NOT welcome within NCSS if it differs from the official narrative.

bartsimpson 1 year, 11 months ago

Dr Matthews, would you please address the possibility of nepotism infractions? Does NCSS have policies addressing nepotism in the work place?

proudmommy 1 year, 11 months ago

I have two children who are currently students at Alcovy and another who will be freshmen next year, we have been extremely pleased with the education and the staff at the school. Our children make excellent grades, they are active in sports and other school activities. I have also been to the school on many occasions and I have never seen anything out of the ordinary, my children have told us about some misbehavior but I believe the responsibility of our kids behavior falls on us as parents not on the school administration. If you teach your children how to behave and to respect others then maybe you wouldn't have a problem.

NewtonNeighbor 1 year, 11 months ago

@proudmommy, while I appreciate your thoughts regarding your experience with children at Alcovy, my experience is very different. My Tiger has very involved parents. My Tiger is in advanced classes and is involved in many extra curricular activities at the school. I have spent a lot of time there the past few years volunteering. I challenge any Alcovy parent to visit during lunch periods and just stand in the commons. I have seen running, screaming and inappropriate displays of affection. This, in my OPINION, is not a good way to allow the school to function. My Tiger has learned to adapt to avoid the chaos that so often runs a muck in the halls. This includes lunches spent in the library or bathroom and walking the long way to class to avoid certain hallways at certain times of the day. It is my OPINION that this is regrettable and a shame. It is also my OPINION that Dr. Carpenter should be placed on leave while this lawsuit that she initiated runs its course. If a teacher involved in the lawsuit was placed on leave, why not the principal involved? I am just sharing my OPINION of why the school seems not to be an ideal environment for learning in regrettable and avoidable ways. I do support my Tiger and the teachers and administration who work hard there every day.

anon1 1 year, 11 months ago

And this is why my kids will go to private school or be home schooled before they ever set foot inside AHS.

Yallneedprozac 1 year, 11 months ago

Where is Bruce McCollum on this list. He told us Monday he was transferred to newton high and that he was going to call almond turner and get it fixed is that what happened?

Yallneedprozac 1 year, 11 months ago

Dr matthews needs to put all the club sponsors in a room without the principal and find out what's been going on since 2009

anon1 1 year, 11 months ago

It can not help that NCSS currently has 14 elementary schools, 5 middle schools and only 3 high schools. When you get THAT many kids of varying background and cultures together in one building there is bound to be trouble. It is the job of the administration to project order and disciplne and to quell any gang activity or drug use or inappropriate behavior before it gets out of control. It is the OPINION of many that this is not being done. How do you sue someone for having an OPINION? I agree that the principal should be placed on leave while this litigation is going on. And the school system as a whole has had a policy of ruling its employees by intimidation , it is not isolated to AHS. I personally know of two elementary principals and a middle school principal who also run their schools by bullying the employees. The middle school my child attends has lost at least FIVE teachers this year.. teachers who have quit in the middle of the school year and there are several who are not returning next year. These are GOOD teachers that the school system is loosing. WAKE UP and take a look at ALL the schools!

Truckermother 1 year, 11 months ago

Dear Amp, I think a bigger question is what happened to the asst principal transfer we were all told about Monday . Why didn't that show up in today's news. Did he call the 3 board members he told us about and get it fixed. Sounds undermining to me.

man1930 1 year, 11 months ago

I LOVE MY COMMUNITY ! ! *I believe Newton County is like any other county anywhere. We have,had and will continue to have our challenges, Collectively with focused open minded persons we can continue to meet these challenges. I was happy to hear of the PLEASING report today about Newton County in today's paper. A bright light to our community ! !.

HonestAbe 1 year, 11 months ago

Dear Mr Matthews , you want proof so i will give you proff. There has been a conflict of interest in your school system for a long time. You use to have a 3rd district board member by the name of Mrs Dobbs. Decisions were being made concerning where the new NCHS was going to be built while she was still on the board. Shortly after she chose not to run for re-election. Shorty after that the decision was made to build the new school on property adjacent to Mrs and former State Legislator Denny Dobbs property. They stand to see a big increase in the value of their property. They stand to make a lot of profit if they decide to sell this property. You also seem to state that problems such as fighting and food fighting goes on at all schools. Please tell me when if ever they have had this problem at Walnut Grove High School in Adjoining Walton County. I am a property owner and significient taxpayer in Newton County and have every right to complain about problems in this school system. I have 3 granchildren who (THANK GOD) go to Walnut Grove High. Every time i go there teachers and or Principles are alway postive and the children always seem to get along. In there talet show, no matter how good or bad the talent is, they always get a standing ovation. I asked my grand children why they like going to school (They never miss a day) They said because they like all of their teachers. Mr Mathews, moral and expectations start at the top. Children will not only model their parents but they will also model teachers and Principles, and yes, even you and the school board. It is high time you admit the problems with the school, the board, and certain individuals therein. Teachers for the most part are excellent roll models when allowed to do so, but need the guidance and support from the top. I.m willing to bet that the the Newton County School System has every bit as good TEACHERS as they do at Walnut Grove High. I also bet the problem in Newton county is at the top.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

anon1, you're right unfortunately- it is not confined to Alcovy. Very sad that teachers must spend more time worrying about the politics in their building than they do on lesson planning and preparing the kids.

Speaking of turn over and what was mentioned in this article, let's take a look at the assistant principals who have left the school the past three years or are leaving after this year. You need a score card to keep up with it, never mind the number of teachers who have left! With Chris Haymore leaving for Mansfield Elementary (which is strange for an Athletic Director and Asst Princ at a high school to suddenly go to an elementary school) you have the following asst principal changes just in the past three years, all from Alcovy:

Ed Elmore Jill Adams Chris Haymore Sylvia Jordan Hilda McKithen Debbie Stephens Rene Burgdorf Richard Howard

And those are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head. I'm sure I am forgetting someone. Doesn't this strike someone at the BOE as a tad unusual? That's a lot of people leaving in a short amount of time. But hey, that's just my OPINION.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 11 months ago

Careful you two offering opinion it may get you in to trouble. However both of you are so right about everything you said. I don't understand why some of this is being overlooked or not looked at or looked at all. Abe you have excellent point about teachers, principals and even people on the board being role models for kids I guess some don't look and see themselves in that kind of light when it is 100% true. I am sorry AHS had been in the paper more times this year then most schools ever are and for nothing good for that matter it had all been negative starting with the principal to the kids acting out to the counselors not giving a crap ( so I have heard). I have to agree that no other school in newton county has had this much negativity.

Amp that needs to be seriously looked in to , and it should strike them as very odd.

So what exactly is the problem? Any takers on this wanna take a stab at it?

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

The first step would be a confidential conference between Dr. Mathews and these assistant principals and hopefully some of the teachers leaving or who have left. Most places conduct confidential exit interviews to learn on areas of improvement. This situation should be a red flag that NCSS should conduct such interviews. And I repeat- confidential!

There also should be an investigation into these claims. And by investigation I mean more than calling the principal and asking and having it denied and then moving on. The Professional Standards Commission takes things like this very seriously and could force an actual investigation if it deems appropriate.

HonestAbe 1 year, 11 months ago

I welcome any opportunity to standup for the rights of all citizens under the Constitution of the United States. I believe the Constitutional amendments (original amendments were placed in a certain order of importance) I believe they were intended to be policed by the citizens. I believe that if you use these rights, simply to hurt other citizens , that the overall population will be the police. In other words, if someone was to come to my yard and start abusing that right, by say cursing around my young children, i would have my 2nd amendment rights to remove them. If i am wrongly arrested for doing so i have my 5th amendment rights to go in front of my peers ( a jury) to combat that. The constitution was ratified by the people of the states. I do not believe any person, lawyer, or even judge has the right to change the meaning of the constitution. I will tell you this, if i am ever sued for exercising my constitutional rights i will immediately counter sue in Federal Court, and i have the means to do so. I will even go further, No government elected official has the right to get involved in this suit. The constitution clearly statesa that GOVERNMENT can't interfere with your rights to the 1st amendment. If it can be PROVEN that ANY member of the school board, or the board as a whole, is involved in this lawsuit, then they have violated your rights. I believe, IF Mr Mathews has taken sides against the defendants in this case, and for the plaintiff,s that even as a non-elected official, but as a government spokesman, he may be on the fringe.

Romulus 1 year, 11 months ago

Oddly enough, AHS's fall to the bottom is partly because of positive leadership at NHS, a school that has traditionally held the low spot. Afterall, SOMEONE has to be last! While not perfect, there is a more positive climate at Newton that is reflected in better student achievement and lower staff turn-over. This is a dramatic shift from just 2 years ago, under a prior principal who was closely associated with our beloved deputy superintendent of operations. It perfectly illustrates the problem caused by nepotism and how it can be fixed in a relatively short amount of time. Dr. Matthews and our school board are wasting precious political capital defending something that is indefensible while tacitly approving a war against our most basic liberties; that of free expression. I commend Dr. Lockhart for doing the best he can with resources that are often more limited than the other 2 high schools. I would like to see him be able to hire the best and brightest to fill his team, but he is going to be hampered by the nepotism that exists in the central office and the morale problems that cascade down from that level.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

I have to agree. It is wonderful what Dr. Lockhart is doing at NHS. It's not an easy task but they are on the right path. I know teachers and staff at NHS and they say the change has been dramatic, like you said. Good leadership can do many great things.

HonestAbe 1 year, 11 months ago

If the citzen will bear with me i wish to make one more comment on this subject. Mrs Carpenter and Mrs Lindsey saw fit to exercise their freedom of speech and the press by giving a interview to the other paper. Mr Mathews saw fit to exercise his freedom of speech and sponser of freedom of press and the right to assemble by going in front of an audience (school board) and submitting his letter to the press and in assembly. The school board exersises their first amendement rights every time they meet, argue with each other or go to the press. They are allowed to do so even if they do not have proof that what they are saying is the truth. It is up to the general public to make their own opinion as to the truth. Everyone of these people have had the right to contest what has been said on this post WITHOUT the fear of being sued. To continue this lawsuit is to CONTRADICT what they have done for years. Every member of that school board (while running for office) have freely exercised their first amendment rights even though many have told untruths about others they were running against. Mrs Lindsey as a canidate for judge will PROBABLY say things about Judge Ott which will be construed by many as untruths or fabrications, Judge Ott will probably counter with what maybe construed as the same. The baptist priest who said the Morman religion that Mitt Romney is a part of is a cult, to my knowledge was not sued. Mitt just countered this and it was left to the press and general public to decide for themselves what the truth is. I don't see anyone suing the people who print the bible, even though many don't believe in it. So you do not have a leg to stand on when you practice one thing but do not want others to do the same.

Calisweetheart 1 year, 11 months ago

i don't understand Mr. Matthews letter in the paper?  It is so easy.  Why not just give someone else Human Resources so teachers won't have to go to the internet to complain.  The system has created the lawsuit situation itself by putting Alcovy employees in such a bad position.  The lawsuit is stupid but if there even is one it should be a class action lawsuit against the system by Alcovy employees for harassment and hostile work environment.

Beautifulblueeyes 1 year, 11 months ago

Ok now we heard that employees are coming out now about the club funds

CBSfinder 1 year, 11 months ago

Don't worry Amp there is a movement getting started.  Go to the Newton Poll and look at the email address to take back Newton schools.  When they finish interviewing all of the club sponsors and the band trip adults at "the dinner" it will all be well with my soul.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

That's good. And they need to interview staff, faculty, administrators, etc. So much needs to see the light of day.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 11 months ago

Please show up at Tuesday nights BOE meeting and share your experiences and concerns about Alcovy High School it is time for change. Teachers are leaving.

Crazyhooker99 1 year, 11 months ago

It amazes me that the school board attorney has not updated the public on the illegal meetings, is he crooked too?

JoanD 1 year, 11 months ago

I would like for the paper to report if it is true that Mr Mccollum contacted only the black board members to get his transferred stopped like he is bragging about. If an asst Principal goes over the superintendents head we have a real problem in the county. Please report on this.

Crazyhooker99 1 year, 11 months ago

My childs science sub told her class all the good teachers are jumping ship at Alcovy.  Hoorrible leadership.

Teedoffparent 1 year, 11 months ago

Dear caliisweetheart to answer ur qstn.  There was another letter they say round 2109.  A bd member leaked it to Carpenter and he raised hell until they forced Matthews to edit.  This was the buzz at Alcovy today.  We have 2 schl supers so let's see who wins.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 11 months ago

DId you all see this in today's Newton poll?  "All interested in reforming NCSS, email me at takenewtonschoolsback@ymail.com. It is time to go underground and organize. Also fill the board meeting room up next Tuesday night

Watermelonlover 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes it is true and I have a copy.  Page 2 tells it all and I already have a new job outta here so I will share.

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

Please share the contents of the letter!

ShannonBlack 1 year, 11 months ago

the plaintiff exercised her free speech by calling and leaving me a voicemail.  It is going with me and my new CVS lipstick to court."

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

Are you serious???? Wow. You need to call the Professional Standards Commission and play that little nugget for them. And for Dr. Mathews. This stuff has got to stop!

Funbags78 1 year, 11 months ago

Well I sure wish the newspaper people will look into it.  The sub in my daughter's science room said the old guy told her there was a longer letter and had copy of that one in C Hall breakfroom they are most confusing so why was the first one not read.

Freshvoice2012 1 year, 11 months ago

Hey free speech lovers, look what we found last week on the Secretary of State website. Note the 2 names in the ownership of a biz while one supervised the other in Newton County schools. One was later fired from Newton High. Can you say nepotism? Our research continues and more news on the Florida trips soon out. We have passed this around hoping it will get officials attention in the current conflict of interest mess: http://corp.sos.state.ga.us/corp/soskb/corp.asp?1531560

amp72 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow. This is crazy. But no one seems to think there is a problem.

Romulus 1 year, 11 months ago

Now you're getting somewhere. There's still more. There is a LOT of dirt under this rug.

Freshvoice2012 1 year, 11 months ago

Taking back Newton schools can be done but it means standing up.  There is a BOE meeting Tuesday night at 7 p.m. (May 15).  Show up, sign in, and you have 5 minutes by policy to speak on a topic.  Do not attack BOE members per policy.  Keep names out of it all, but ask these types of questions: 1.  Does the school system have a policy on higher leadership positions dating, marrying, and if not why not?  What are there plans to keep this from happening again?   2.  Is it true that the former principal of Newton High and the current dep supt of Operations owned a business together Lead Learners LLC while one oversaw HR for the other?  Ask does this represent a conflict of interest?   3.  Tips were sent to the superintendent about the topics of alcohol in the news at Alcovy.  Has there been a follow up investigation on any of the public concerns and have any tips been sent in that have had follow up and what results if any can you share to help us improve the schools we pay for?   4.  Does the board have plans to institute a nepotism policy?   5.  Will the board work with local Senate and House legislators to create a bill to prevent the type of HR  conflicts of interest in school systems statewide?   6.  How many teachers and staff have left Alcovy High since 2009 and what is the plan for filling the "brain drain"?   7.  Have club sponsors at Alcovy High been interviewed and have results led to any revelations about claims?   8.  When teachers and other employees have advised the board of what they have known to be true per conflicts of interest in hiring why has the board not acted on these concerns?   9.  What plans does the school system have to raise graduation rates and achievement levels at Alcovy High, a school we are all paying for?

Teedoffparent 1 year, 11 months ago

Please attend Tuesday night's BOE meeting at 7 p.m. and sign up to have your 5 minutes to talk.  Ask these questions so the press can hear the answers:   1.  What do you know as a board about the Sams-Carpenter Lead Learners LLC and does this represent a conflict of interest in past years that continues today with other hiring of personnel?  Wasn't this a case, like the present, where a supervisor was supervising someone of close relation?   2.  What is the update on the Covington News' inquiry into the illegal meeting?  What did the Attorney General say?   3.  Have investigations of club sponsors at Alcovy High been completed since tips were sent in to the county office last week and to officials?   4.  What plans does the board have to correct the nepotism scandal in Nweton County Schools?

Romulus 1 year, 11 months ago

The pattern of hiring that was established in 2009 continues to this very day. It is detrimental to morale, to the competence of the employees and to the education of our children. And it is going to negatively impact our property values, our ability to compete with surrounding counties and the future well-being of everyone who lives here. It is so sad to see the promise of just a few years ago now being so completely destroyed by corruption.

Teedoffparent 1 year, 11 months ago

So the latest buzz from here in Tiger Town is that 92% of the sophomore class failed the Math End of Course Test. I really hope that is not true because if it is then obviously something is not working. Oh, and there was another fight today. "Suspected" gang members jumped another student. But of course, there are no gangs at Alcovy. Right?

Personalsavior 1 year, 11 months ago

I think that all this nonsense makes this county look bad and I'm a dime store hooker.

Satan69 1 year, 11 months ago

I find it in poor taste that an authority figure in the public eye would call a member of the board "unstable " that is just a shame. What I wonder is what makes her think him or her is unstable? I would really like to know that?

OnToday 1 year, 11 months ago

Makes you wonder what she says about former employees if and when another school system asks about their job performance.

Henrycounselor 1 year, 11 months ago

The citizens of Newton county would like to ask for a school board chair with wizardom..

Henrycounselor 1 year, 11 months ago

I am very distracted by this unstable comment I just can't get passed this, myself and Satan were talking the other day and we cannot for the lives of us where that came from. My job is to do what is in the best interest of the kids and teachers and I do my job to the fullest now if doing my job and making sure that the my schools are taken care of then yes I am definately unstable. I love what I do and I will continue to strive for excellence in the school system I just hope this AHS situation gets straightned out.

Henrycounselor 1 year, 11 months ago

Is it me or has this lawsuit turned into a finger pointing, goose chasing accusation party. Really people can we please go back to what's really the issue here and thats the performance, the grad rate and all the things that matter. I mean it has been he said she said I think these person is unstable cause he does a good job and blah blah.

Who cares fact AHS is in bad shape lets fix it ad then worry about who is doing what and when. Figure out all the things we need to do to fix the school not a silly suit that got started all on spite. However if it is that's important to you then well take some time and do your thing but watching the school fall apart from the sidelines what a shame.

ontomorrow 1 year, 11 months ago

Did you see this on this week's Newton Citizen Poll?   "This Carpenter situation needs to get resolved quickly because it is tearing the school system apart and damaging the credibility of a system that is already faltering. We have real problems with education in this county and this situation has become a divisive thorn that is keeping us from the job of educating children. The crux of this problem is, once they became involved, the school board should have insisted that one of them resign. That being said, it doesn't change the fact that there are serious problems at AHS that need to be addressed. Teachers and parents are frustrated and feel that they have no voice; if they follow the chain of command and go to Human Resources, they get no support because of the husband/wife connection. They feel their concerns can be voiced only through anonymous (comments) on the Internet and these do not foster constructive dialogue. However, these postings are a guaranteed right of freedom of speech under the Constitution and any attempt to curtail this right is unconstitutional and results in a totalitarian state. This suit is counter-productive and has led to all kinds of allegations. Please let cooler heads prevail and get this mess resolved so we can place our energy and resources on educating the children of Newton County."

Henrycounselor 1 year, 11 months ago

This is HenryCounselor with your morning jo.  I have been up since the wee hours before the crack of dawn (wee before the crack).  I have finally met Ms. Black.  She is hysterical but dang she has the most awesome insider information from Prison 36.  Keep her posted especially all teachers who have fall jobs for next year and are leaving NCSS on Wednesday.  She will get the word out but please don't send incorrect information to us - we want to do this right peeps. We are doing more research on Lead Learners LLC.

Henrycounselor 1 year, 11 months ago

I am whatever you say I am, if I wasn't then why would I say I am. In the paper the news everyday I am. Why cause I'm an unstable man.

I say all of this because I as unstable as I am so labeled I can do my job and put a plan of action into place to help the school but here is a question I want you all to ponder how can I do anything with no help I am one man or woman with nothing but resistance on both sides so who is really unstable here me or the people giving resistance for the changes that need to be made? Please questions or comments welcome I need some help here.

Another reason for what I said was because being in the public eye your going to be labeled period you cant stop that so that's why I say I am what you say I am. Not one person is going to be liked by everyone and soon as certain people figure this out it will be a much happier Newton County and a happier school system.