Newton Citizen Poll for April 1

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1101. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"Four years ago we elected a bus driver to the school board and now in his district (the second) West Newton Elementary has fallen to the rank of 1,011 out of 1,176 elementary schools in Georgia. It has lost over 150 spots in the last year. Some city of Atlanta schools score higher than West Newton. This puts West Newton in the bottom 15 percent of elementary schools in Georgia. Our board member has failed this district and we need a representative to the Board of Education not the board of bus drivers. Please, please, please will someone who is a well-qualified educator please step forward and run. Our district needs you; Newton County needs you, but most of all our children need you."

"Find out the truth about Newton County schools before you vote. Go to www.schooldigger.com and find out where each school ranks to others in Georgia. It will shock you."

"The old man would like to talk about education today. Now the first question asked is what do I know about education? Well, I have a master's degree plus in education, I have taught metal shop, wood shop, architectural drawing, computer, math, science and electronics in junior high, middle school, high school and I taught electronics in junior college. I was also a school administrator before I retired. With all of this I think I might be a little qualified to talk about education. Back when I started I was the one who controlled my classroom. If I reprimanded a student and sent him out the dean always backed me. Salaries were low but we loved what we were doing. I left teaching for a while and when I got back everything had changed. It seems like the students were always right, the parents listened to their kids and the principals back the parents and the kids. The teachers had no say in it. In my short time as a school administrator I found that no matter what the teachers thought, the Board of Education ruled. And now all I am hearing (with a few exceptions) is that the teachers get too much money because they are off all summer and get all those holidays off. I don't know about Georgia but I had to take classes in the summer. This was required and so was going in to set up before the students got there and staying late to get ready for the next day. And then there were papers to grade, hall duty, cafeteria duty, mentoring final testing, etc., etc., etc. Sure there are always a bad apple in the barrel and boy does the media love to play this up. Most of the time this is front-page news while an honor for a wonderful teacher is relegated to the fourth or fifth page, but these teachers keep right on doing their job and that is usually above and beyond the call to duty. The trouble is that when these teachers get near retirement, some principals want to get rid of them. They are slow and don't really respect the principal so the principal nitpicks until the teacher (who is still doing a great job in the classroom) finally retires. What a shame. In all my years in education, I could tell you a hundred stories of how a principal caused the death of a great teacher, how a state Board of Education made a decision for a great teacher in his classroom, so he retired. He was an excellent history teacher but the state Board of Education some 60 miles away knew better. Of course, there are things the teachers have no control over. There are administrators who are afraid of losing their jobs, there are boards of education that have an ax to grind so they run for office and if they win they try to run the classroom. Then there are the parents who do not know what their kid is doing but the teacher is always wrong. So it is necessary for the teacher to be a disciplinarian, warden, time keeper and so on. If there is time they may get a chance to teach. Next time the old man would like to talk about how sloppy this country is getting."

"There was an article in 'the other paper' last week about the scary preacher on the Square. I wonder if the person who was complaining realizes how many people are now praying for her?"

"Hey everyone, she's pregnant again ... pay raise! I continue to be frustrated by the abuse of the freedoms here, within our country's borders, yet we continue to apply Band-Aids to the wounds of other countries that may never heal. I'm with Ron Paul, at least with one message: Let's pull the plug on foreign aid (or at least reduce it), so we can afford to repair our own problems!"

"Sure, it is a shame a 17-year-old teenager was shot and killed. I still want to know how the Black Panther organization gets away with putting out a bounty -- Wanted Dead or Alive and naming the person and showing his picture. This is a man who has not been charged as yet with anything. If this had been a black who shot a white teenager and a reward offer went out, Obama would have had his Department of Justice on it in five seconds. Where is the balance here? There is none! We are in end times, and no wonder, when things like this are allowed to occur. It is left-leaning radicalism at its best. Then Obama comes out with the statement, if he had had a son, he would have looked like this teenager. Yeah, right -- they are both black. True Americans, remember things like this when you go and vote on Nov. 6, 2012. We must put a stop to this insanity! These are the same Black Panthers who intimidated people trying to vote in the 2008 election, when sadly Obama won. All charges mysteriously disappeared. What does that tell us? If you are unhappy with what is happening to this nation, make your voice heard in the next election. We can and must make a difference. The outcome of this election will herald the start of a return to what America used to be or the end of America as we know her? I know which America I want to live in, do you?"

"I'm current with my mortgage payments and would like to refinance the home I've been in for 16 years (with no missed payments) to take advantage of today's low interest rates. I've been told repeatedly that I don't qualify for one of Obama's new programs unless I am or will soon be in foreclosure. In other words, one has to risk screwing up their hard-earned credit status for banks to take notice! What is wrong with this snapshot? I say again, ain't that America!"

"I read a complaint recently from another resident about the parking of the big rigs behind CVS. This space being used as a parking lot for the truckers is out of control. Sorry you drivers don't seem to have a place to park, but that should not be a problem for the residents in our community. Not only does it make that area look now like a truck stop and is creating an eyesore for the community, but it is becoming a safety issue because it's partially blocking two-way traffic. According to the county, they can't do anything. Really? I guess our officials don't really care about the safety of its residents not to mention how unsightly it is. Wonder how long it will be before the drivers run out of space and decide they want to move over to the Walmart parking lot. Then, our brand new Walmart parking lot will look like a truck stop just like the Walmart in Conyers. Won't that be pretty for our county!"

"I would like to comment on the numerous auto break-ins in the Farmington Lane/Forrest Drive area of Covington. I would first like to ask the question: Where were the policemen that live in the middle of the crime area? They are the ones that previous callers said lived in mansions. While the criminals were roaming their street, I guess they were in the haystack fast sleep! The Covington Police Department also seems to be obsessed with sending messages telling people not to defend themselves or their property. They pass out flyers telling people not to 'challenge suspicious activity around your home/vehicle.' They are sending a message for a criminal to come to your property and steal you blind while you idly sit by and wait for the police. Why don't they tell the citizens to buy a gun and protect your property and stand your ground as Georgia law permits you to do? The crime rate in Covington will never improve if criminals believe no harm will come to them while they are burglarizing."

"I was calling about the 12-year-old boy that got killed down in Florida. I wasn't down there and I don't know what happened. I think a lot of people, including the President, are running their mouth about it and they don't know either. As far as 'innocent until proven guilty,' i think that was throwed out the window. Nobody ever think about that. All they want to do is hang him."

"I just wonder where everybody on Highway 212 and Highway 36 are going that they have to pass cars on double yellow lines with a school bus coming? They got behind me the other day and almost pushed me off the road near Alcovy High School because I slowed down for the school zone. I've been living in this area off Highway 36 since August and several times I've almost got hit up on Henderson Mill Road with people running stop signs. Where's our police force when this is happening? My husband got run off the road back in January going to work up 212 because the car behind him wanted to go so much faster than him. We need somebody to control all those speeders. I challenge the Newton County police department to please come out around Alcovy High School, down 36 near Campbell Road and up 212 and do something about these people before somebody gets killed. Don't wait until it's too late."

Comments

John 2 years ago

Just a note to the person commenting on the speeders on Hwy 36& 212. 1.) Newton County does not have a Police Department. Police are found in the City limits - Covington, Porterdale, Mansfield, etc. 2.) Traffic Control outside of the city limits is the responsibility of the Sheriff's Department. 3.) The last I knew the Sheriff's Department had a total of 4 deputies assigned to traffic control for all of Newton County - kinda' like peeing in the ocean & see how much it rises. This is the effect of the budget cuts that were directed by the NC Board of Commissioners. They would rather have spent $$ on an Ag center or rails to trails project or buy up a golf course. 4.) Another point is when it comes to speeding the Sheriff's Dept has more restrictions on what they can do than police department, with the exception of one road in Newton County - wonder how that happened?

mustardandbiscuit 2 years ago

Suppose you tell us about the alleged speeding enforcement "restrictions" imposed on the NCSO??

John 2 years ago

For one, a Sheriff's deputy cannot be sitting still and run radar and issue a ticket for speeding, only a warning ticket, unless the driver greatly exceeds the posted speed limit e.g. 50 mph in a 25 mph zone. They can issue a speeding violation if they are moving & running radar. Where did I learn this - from a veteran deputy trying to control the NASCAR wannabees in our residential neighborhood. I never shoot from the hip! Checkout my allegation.

mustardandbiscuit 2 years ago

Sounds like one of those unwritten rules handed down by the Sheriff. Because, Georgia law says they can. Hmmmm.....

smallTown 2 years ago

WHOEVER told you this above information does not know their butt from a hole in the ground. That is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. BAHAHA!!!! A Deputy and a Police can run radar sitting still, moving , sideways, upside down , ect. They can write a ticket on a subdivision Street unless it has been approved by D.O.T. as a road that is certified to run radar on. Get the facts right, before you make a fool of yourself.

amp72 2 years ago

To the person complaining about speeders on Hwy 36 near Alcovy, Newton County does not have a "police" force, it is under the NC Sheriff's Office jurisdiction. And no they will not patrol that area around Alcovy because they know the students are better armed than they are and are afraid they'll be outgunned.

mustardandbiscuit 2 years ago

Aww, aren't you just cute and cheeky? Stow it, cutes.

amp72 2 years ago

Nice to know I have a fan. And you cared enough to reply so, deal with it ;)

MissLoy 2 years ago

Let me comment on the 17 year-old that got killed they plain and simple fact is our Judicial system out right sucks, and thats all there is to it the people that committ murder get treated better then then the family member that got shot down the family member of the deceased and so on. It is insane that people have got to act this way. I say this if you committ murder and your proven guilty then you should die the same way you caused the person to die, it may seem harsh, however this is why we have over crowded jails, people plead insane left and right becuase most and a majority of the time people that use that defense are off and running. We have had a flawed judicial for a long time now and Obama sure as hell isn't going to fix it or even try. What is sick to me are the mothers that get away with killing babies and goes right along with this. There will never be justice for any of these people until the laws become more harsh let the punishment fit the crime or something hits these people and the laws get tighter. Sad and a shame.

KimberlyD 2 years ago

I'm lost....which 17 year old girl?

Satan69 2 years ago

To address the retired educator I don't know how long ago you have been retired but apparently a lot has changed since you had. Years ago the teacher did control the classroom and did a wonderful job and the principal usually 100% backed them up. Unfortunately now we live in a society where the principal doesn't do anything except sit in the office and dictate not all but some. Also the kids run crazy, the poor teachers are doing the best they can but they can only do so much. Let's take a look at Prison 36 shall we in reference to AHS, now they have a great track record don't they have a fight every other day, being arrested, tasered and having food fights, great role models for anybody to want to look up to. Seems like the principal of the year, right? Wrong this is an example of I'm way over my head and im drowning please help. It's a shame that we have this going on and the board enforces rules but it is up to the school admin to enforce it. The thing everybody wants to holler the BOE this and the BOE that but you can't blame this lack of enforcment of rules on them, they do what they can, some more then others . The BOE member that has AHS I think will and can do a great thing with improvement if in fact he can get some reinforcement, one person can't do it all. I mean the man is a great educator and advocate for the children but even he needs support.

It is a shame what has happened in that school inparticular and other schools as well West Newton used to be a great school and now has done a complete 360 and it's sad wonderful teachers. Sorry principals with a bunch of empty promises and I know this frist hand not just bad mouthing the school. Just another example of bad Admin choices. Something needs to be done for the children, before it turns into something we can't handle.

LE4LIFE 2 years ago

It is the Newton County Sheriff's Office, not department. The state sets which road a radar can be utilized on we can enforce traffic laws on any roadway even dirt roads. There are three traffic units, but every sworn officer can enforce these traffic laws. We just need more officers in more places, election time is here start asking those wanting to be your commissioners

KimberlyD 2 years ago

I am so tired of hearing about the delinquent that was killed by a neighborhood watchman. I was in our local cable office on Pace St the other day and I heard an African American man tell a (white) customer that the white customer's people were the reason that his people were fighting for the man that was murdered. What did that customer have to do with the man dying in Fla? I went back the following week and the young man is still employed there. Where does it end?

mustardandbiscuit 2 years ago

Don't you mean a black man was telling a white customer? Not everybody from Africa is black. And, the last time I checked, you should only be claiming that you're African-American if you were BORN in Africa and then became a citizen of American. If you are red, yellow, black or white, and you were born in America, you are AMERICAN...period.

amp72 2 years ago

Yeah, because that's the biggest issue facing us at the moment. It's semantics. Big deal, get over it,

KimberlyD 2 years ago

Yes....black. You are right. I'm trying to skate on the political correctness issue that faces us today. But they've fired white individuals there for less. I know of several instances of this happening there. mustardandbiscuit, a genuine thank you for correcting me!!!

joanneraatz 2 years ago

Delinquent? Walking home with skittles and iced tea? Was he stealing or doing anything illegal? No. He was approached and harassed by a psycho on a witch hunt. Zimmerman instigated the whole thing - he is the guilty one. And since when does the one with the weapon scream "Help!" ? KimberlyD - you have truly found your home in this county.

Frustrated 2 years ago

joanne I suppose you know these people personally? One witha weapon screams for help when a younger, taller person has you on the ground beating your head into the sidewalk. No I wasnt there to see what happened but neither were you.

KimberlyD 2 years ago

Guess you fit in well within the community, Frustrated, ya know, since we both disagree with Joanne and she was there when the entire incident happened and knows everything about it and all.

KimberlyD 2 years ago

Um, my comment was more about the racist comment that was made by the employee in the local area blaming a white customer (that was in line in front of me) for the shooting. And if the young man was innocent, then why did he run? Sounds like self defense to me. A honest neighborhood watchman wanted a suspicious person to stop, they didn't the suspicious person threw some punches and the watchman shot him in self-defense.

CBSfinder 2 years ago

He was not even a very good bus driver either. Ask any of us

MissLoy 2 years ago

Peeps did you see this: Four years ago we elected a bus driver to the school board and now in his district (the second) West Newton Elementary has fallen to the rank of 1,011 out of 1,176 elementary schools in Georgia. It has lost over 150 spots in the last year. Some city of Atlanta schools score higher than West Newton. This puts West Newton in the bottom 15 percent of elementary schools in Georgia. Our board member has failed this district and we need a representative to the Board of Education not the board of bus drivers. Please, please, please will someone who is a well-qualified educator please step forward and run. Our district needs you; Newton County needs you

Peggy 2 years ago

I have a small response to the person commenting on the traffic on Hwy 36. I have somewhat of a different perception. I drive in at about 5:30 AM in the morning and around 5 PM in the afternoon. In the morning, it never fails that on Hwy 36 where the speed limit is 55, that there will be a driver that is driving between 35 and 45, but NEVER reaching the speed limit. There are very few places to pass on that road and it is difficult to pass that early in the morning since it is so dark and there's always the possibility of hitting a deer. In any case generally there is a line of traffic behind the person driving the 35 to 45 MPH, sometimes as many as 15 cars. In the afternoon, many times it is the same there will be one car that is driving 35 to 45 with 15 cars behind. In my humble opinion, if you see that many cars behind you, please pull over and let the ones that are able to handle a car at 55 MPH get by. Then, there won't be drivers taking unnecessary chances. And, oh by the way, on the morning run, I have been number 6 behind the driver with several cars behind me and a Newton County Sheriff's car will pass the 8 or 9 cars to get in front of the slow poke. So, they are out there, maybe they should pull over the slow poke.

mustardandbiscuit 2 years ago

It's probably one of your blue-haired church members that shouldn't be driving in the first place. Why don't you say something to her next Sunday? Oh, chicken, huh?

KimberlyD 2 years ago

From watching these cop shows on tv in some places it's a violation of the speed laws to go more than 10 miles under the speed limit. That's ridiculous...and hindering the flow of traffic!!! But you are right!!! On 36 people either drive 65 or faster or poke!! If you can't drive the speed limit get off the stinkin road!!

John 2 years ago

Here is Georgia minimum speed law-

"Minimum Speed Limit: I. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. �40-6-184(a)(1)". I wouldn't hold up much hope to have either the speeder or slow poke issued a ticket

KimberlyD 2 years ago

What neighborhoods are so bad that the Alcovy High school kids come from? I'm kind of shocked that this school has gotten so bad!! It's brand new!! It's a shame that the kids act like this....Maybe we should close it and ship them all of to boarding school along with the bag parents that raised them or birthed them since they aren't doing much raising...

Covingtonian 2 years ago

I had an idiot in front of me that drove speeds varying from 5 miles below the speed limit to exactly the speed limit and when I speeded up to pass she speeded up in an attempt not to allow me to pass, blowing her horn as this was taking place. After I got around her and slowed down to a constant speed she got on my bumper. I just don't get it.

John 2 years ago

Got their drivers education by pushing a shopping basket at Wal-Mart.

Peggy 2 years ago

Covingtonian, I think I was behind her too the other day. It's almost like a contest. You try to pass, they speed up to keep you from it. When did basic driver etiquette go away?

John 2 years ago

When they made it way too easy to get a drivers license. All you need to do is pass a simple written test that most any 5th grader could pass and learn how to parallel park for the road test. Oh, etiquette went out the same time as sharing (as in share the road), common courtesy and respect.