Newton school meal prices to increase next school year

COVINGTON -- Parents, you'll have to shell out a little more money to pay for your kids to eat at Newton County schools next year.

Forced by a mandate from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Newton County Board of Education approved last week during its monthly meeting a request from the Newton County School System to increase current meal prices by between 10 cents and 25 cents next school year.

The price of elementary and secondary school lunches for students will increase 10 cents, and adult meals will increase 25 cents.

Currently, elementary students pay $1.50 for lunches, and middle and high school students pay $1.75 for lunches.

Adult meals currently cost $2.75. Dr. Dennis Carpenter, deputy superintendent at NCSS, said the adult meal increase isn't part of the mandate, but it is necessary because of rising costs of foods.

"It's still the best deal in town," he said.

The federal mandate, called the National School Lunch Program: School Food Service Account Revenue Amendments Related to the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, requires that meal prices must increase to an amount equal to the federal reimbursement rate over the next nine years. The target price is $2.51.

The mandate was implemented last year, but NCSS opted not to increase prices until now. NCSS has not increased student meal prices since the 2005-06 school year.

"We've been trying to put it off," Carpenter told school board members earlier this month.

Comments

amp72 2 years, 5 months ago

Looks like those Alcovy kids will be paying more for their food fights. No wait, my taxes pay for their food. Never mind.

gomab1 2 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if we all started throwing our food and having food fights if we could get our food for free. Alcovy does it. So let's get all of the schools in Newton County to start throwing food and starting food fights and maybe they we will feel sorry for us and reduce the price instead of raise it. They make think it's a protest and it would work in our favor.

Before we get this conspiracy started lets go ask Alcovy for some tips though because I want to get this right and they seem like pros at this kind of thing.

spdracer90 2 years, 5 months ago

To the "powers that be": see what a laughingstock Alcovy is?? When are you people (the BOE) going to get it--clean house over there starting with the principal and work your way down. You would be surprised what proper, qualified leadership could accomplish. I would be scared too death to send my child to that school--I feel sorry for the students that actually want to learn and the teachers that want to teach at AHS. In the near future AHS may have no students or teachers interested in education--what are you going to do then? I guess let the animals run the zoo!

gobraves 2 years, 5 months ago

They are increasing the prices to pay for those who can't afford it. These are the same folks that use there EBT cards to buy better groceries than I can...just another form of welfare!

spdracer90 2 years, 5 months ago

Agreed! I saw someone using an EBT card to buy an energy drink at the gas station. Great use of our tax dollars! I get so tired of paying for everyone else when my family has to stretch our dollars. No $5.00 enery drinks for us! I also love seeing those who "qualify" for welfare in any sort driving a newer car than I have, having their nails and hair done, and are dressed to the nines.

CBSfinder 2 years, 5 months ago

I have a great idea why don't we just put EBT machines in the schools then we don't have to worry about it. That would help people out wouldn't it. Just a suggestion. I think that's an awesome idea.

John 2 years, 5 months ago

When an already very high per cent of the students get "free to them" lunches and/or breakfasts a price increase is of no concern to them or their parents or guardians,