Covington man in wheelchair struck and killed on U.S. Highway 278

COVINGTON -- A 54-year-old man was killed in the early morning hours Tuesday when the motorized wheelchair he was driving in the traffic lane down U.S. Highway 278 was struck by a motorist, according to the Covington Police Department.

The victim has been identified as Timothy Lee Carithers of Adams Street.

"He subsequently died at Newton Medical Center," said CPD Public Information Officer Capt. Ken Malcom. "The Georgia State Patrol was notified and the investigation was turned over to their Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team."

GSP spokesman Gordy Wright said the accident happened near the intersection with Cook Street around 12:10 a.m.

"(Carithers) was eastbound on 278 and was hit from behind by a Honda Civic ... The chair had no lights or reflective tape and belonged to the victim's mother," Wright said.

Wright said it is not believed that Carithers himself was disabled nor that he required a wheelchair.

"From what the trooper has been told from interviews overnight, this was more of a recreational use than a medical necessity," Wright said.

The driver of the Honda, a 27-year-old Covington man, has not been charged.

Malcom said authorities were not sure what Carithers was doing out in the wheelchair.

"He wasn't near the crosswalk. There are designated areas where a device like that can cross, but it is not a designated vehicle that is allowed to operate on the highway," he said.

Comments

conyersgirl 2 years, 9 months ago

SOMETIMES STUPIDITY IS PAINFUL!!!! SOMETIMES IT IS JUST DOWN RIGHT DEADLY!!!

Billy 2 years, 9 months ago

I hope the woman the wheelchair actually belongs to can afford to replace it. My friend has MS but sometimes cannot find a scooter at WalMart because some person who is not disabled is riding one around in the store. Walk, it's good for you...

KimberlyD 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm with Conyersgirl on this one. Why would someone drive a wheelchair down the middle of 278 in the middle of the night when it's dark out? DUH!! The world is now rid of another ignorant person...

D38 2 years, 8 months ago

KINBERLYD1 RE READ THE MAN THAT WAS KILLED ON 278 IN COVINGTON

spdracer90 2 years, 9 months ago

Your compassion is touching! A person is dead-show some respect!

gaflarose 2 years, 9 months ago

1 the owner of the wheelchair was his mothers and 2ndly the area he was in is not a dark area it is a well lit area so there was no excuse for someone to not see him in the road. I travel that road all of the time and there are always people walking on that road or on motorized vehicles and you know that you have to watch for pedestrians no matter what. Also for deer crazy he was a dad, a son, a brother and an uncle and friend to many so for you remark that is just rude and uncalled for!!!

wayne 2 years, 9 months ago

It's sad that he was killed, but you know that he was in the wrong. I wouldn't be one bit shocked to find out alcohol was involved. Condolences to his family & friends.

D38 2 years, 8 months ago

SO WHAT U DO WORSE THAN HIM DO U WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHAT U DO WAYNE AND TO LET U KNOW THIS HIS OLDEST NEPHEW SO TAKE IT HOW U WANT

molasses 2 years, 9 months ago

Unfortunately, this man did not use common sense and perhaps not an upstanding citizen however it does not give us the right to disrespect him or his family. His family is grieving for his loss and to see how crude people can be is very disheartening. Please keep in mind that his family and/or friends are reading these comments and I'm sure you would not appreciate it if it was the other way around.

D38 2 years, 8 months ago

HOW DO U KNOW WHAT KIND OF CITIZEN HE WAS HE WOULD GIVE U ANYTHING HE HAD HELP U ANYWAY HE COULD I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HE WAS A WONDERFUL PERSON

molasses 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't know him thats why I said "PERHAPS" but jail records are also public but that has nothing to do with the fact that he passed away and everyone that commented negatively should be a more respectful about him and his family/friends. I'm sorry for your loss but don't bite my head off. Re-read my paragraph before commenting as you did.Best Wishes

D38 2 years, 8 months ago

FIRST OF ALL TIM WAS A GRADUATE AND HAD SEVERAL CERTIFICATES SO THAT SETTELS U KIMBERLY DEERCRAZY,WAYNE AND I KNOW WAYNE HOW COULD U SAY THAT ABOUT TIM JUST TO LET U KNOW I I I KNOW U POSTED AND U TOO CONYERS GIRL. SECOND OF ALL MY UNCLE TIM HAD HEART PROBLEMS,RA,AND A STEEL PLATE IN HIS HEAD SO TO ALL THE SORRY PEOPLETHAT DID NOT GET THE RIGHT STORY MY UNCLE USED THE WHEELCHAIR BECAUSE OF HIS HEALTH PROBLEMS BECAUSE MY GRANDMOTHER DEPENDED ON HIM TO GET WHAT THEY NEEDED SO JUST BECAUSE THAT WAS NOT INTENDED FOR HIS USE DIRECTLY THATS HOW THEY WERE ABLE TO EAT OR WHATEVER SO BEFORE U WANT TO PLAY ON THE COMPUTER TO DEGRADE A DEAD HERO I HOPE U SLEEP GOOD AT NIGHT AND TO ALL MY SORRY FAMILY WOULDNT SPEAK FOR MY UNCLE AND MY FRIEND SHAME ON U I COME BACK FROM COLORODO TO LET U READERS KNOW TIM CARITHERS IF U KNEW HIM U WOULD FEEL VERY BAD BESIDES ME HAVING TO READ THIS I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO SAY....... I LOVE U SO MUCH AND DONT KNOW HOW TO FILL THE HOLE LOVE DANIEL CHAVEZ(BUG) PS. I HOPE THE REAL IGNORENT PEOPLE GET TO READ THIS AND HOPE NOW THAT EVERYBODY THAT SAID NEGATIVE THINGS SLEEP WELL AT NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spdracer90 2 years, 8 months ago

All these negative comments are so sad! To basically say because he made a poor choice he deserved what he got--how insensitive! Some say he shouldn't have been using the wheelchair especially at night etc etc. If that was the only way the man had to get around then what did you expect him to do? It sounds like he had some serious medical problems and probably needed a motorized chair of his own. I am sure he was not out on a joy ride at the time. The man lost his life and people lost a family member and/or friend. Ask yourself this--how would you feel if these comments were written about your family member?

tayybby21 2 years, 8 months ago

I know the guy that accidentally hit him, and he feels really bad. he says he did not see him which i believe him. but not only is the guy that got hit's family hurt but my friend has to live with this for the rest of his life and how do you think he feels?? I feel bad for the family of the guy that got hit and my friend, cause its not only one person that is affected by this.