Newton kindergarten registration starts next week

COVINGTON -- Parents of rising kindergarten students can register their children in Newton County schools next week.

The Newton County School System's annual Kindergarten Round-Up begins Monday and continues until Thursday for the 2012-13 school year.

Parents whose children will be 5 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2012 can register their students at their assigned schools from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on a scheduled day.

Registration is scheduled for Monday at Flint Hill, Middle Ridge and Porterdale elementary schools; on Tuesday at East Newton, Oak Hill and Rocky Plains elementary schools; on March 21 at Live Oak, Fairview, Mansfield, South Salem elementary schools; and on March 22 at Heard-Mixon, Livingston and West Newton elementary schools. Registration for the Newton County Theme School at Ficquett was held in February.

To register their child, a parent or legal guardian must bring with them to the school several documents: the student's certified birth certificate and Social Security card; two medical forms, including Immunization Record Form 3231 and Form 3300: Hearing, Vision and Dental Screening Record; and two proofs of residence, which includes a utility bill (garbage, electric, water and gas bills only are accepted) that includes the name and address of the registrant and a current lease, rental agreement or mortgage statement.

Students who don't have a Social Security card available may have a waiver signed at the time of registration, according to NCSS.

Proof of custody or guardianship also is required for children who don't live with one or both parents.

Parents should bring their rising kindergarten student with them to the registration so teachers can conduct necessary hearing and vision screenings.

Parents who are unable to register their student on the designated day at their home school may register him or her at one of the other elementary schools according to the schedule.

More information and registration documents for download are available at the NCSS Web site, www.newtoncountyschools.org, or by contacting the schools.


Newton 3 years, 8 months ago

All these requirements to just enter kindergarden! I can get a pistol permit showing less information. If all these things are required how do illegal imigrants enter our school system? Why are (garbage, electric, water and gas bills only are accepted) as other residency? Oh wait the city and county run most of those services so they make sure your current I guess. When will our schools improve to make AYP no excuse not to!! If administration can find a way to pass tell those FAT CATS to move on down the road!


Sign in to comment