As of Thursday, March 1, 2012
© Copyright 2014
CONYERS Kids Zone on the campus of Church in the Now on Iris Drive was evacuated Wednesday evening after a fire started in the back of a refrigerator.
Rockdale County Fire and Rescue Public Information Officer Sharon Webb said the fire started at about 6:30 p.m. She said the fire activated the building's sprinkler system which extinguished the fire.
The fire destroyed the refrigerator and damaged the kitchen area, according to Webb, and there was smoke damage throughout the building.
Six engines from Rockdale Fire and Rescue, along with a rescue truck and battalion chief responded to the call. In addition, Newton County Fire Departments' ladder truck responded.
Firefighters cleared the building of smoke and it was turned back over to the occupants.
Webb said none of the occupants was injured. One firefighter received a minor injury.