Lindsey sends former AHS employee cease and desist notice

COVINGTON -- Attorney Stephanie Lindsey has served at least one person she alleges is a malicious web poster with a cease and desist notice.

On Wednesday, Lindsey apparently sent Kevin Dockery, a former teacher at Alcovy High School for four years, a cease and desist notice via his personal email address.

"Upon information and belief, you have created numerous accounts through the Newton Citizen Newspaper website to lodge a malicious campaign against Dr. LaQuanda Carpenter and Dr. Dennis Carpenter," the notice reads.

The notice does not specify which accounts he is accused of creating or what comments he is accused of making on the Citizen website.

Lindsey is representing Carpenter, the principal of Alcovy High School, in a defamation lawsuit against web posters on the Citizen website, who Carpenter is claiming libeled her with their comments. Her husband Dennis Carpenter, deputy superintendent for Operations at the Newton County School System, is not identified as a plaintiff in the suit.

Web posters who use the pseudonyms MsLoy, bluedeyeddevil, amp72, newtoncountyparent, watermelonlover, beautifulblueeyes, Satan69 and KBeet are named in the suit; originally, three others were named but have since been removed. Additionally, Newton County Board of Education member Jeff Meadors is named in the suit with LaQuanda Carpenter alleging that Meadors is posting defamatory comments under the web IDs MsLoy and KBeet. Meadors has denied the allegation.

Dockery hasn't been added to the suit, according to Newton County Superior Court Records as of Friday afternoon.

The notice to Dockery demands that he immediately stop "all online defamatory blog postings or slanderous comments referencing (the Carpenters)."

Additionally, the notice demands that Dockery stop postings that reference Newton County School System Superintendent Gary Mathews, members of the Newton County Board of Education and NCSS employees that are "tantamount to indirect postings regarding (the Carpenters)."

"I demand that within five days of the date of this letter, or sooner, you begin to publish in writing appropriate retractions in as conspicuous and public manner as that in which the defamatory statements were published and for the same length of time," the notice reads.

Failure to comply with the requests may subject him to punitive damages, according to the notice.

"It is my desire that you adhere to this demand and attempt to bring productive closure to this unfortunate matter," the letter states.

Dockery also received in the body of the email a statement that Lindsey posted earlier this week on the Citizen website that notified posters that they had been named in the suit and would later be informed of a hearing date.

During a motions hearing earlier this month, Newton County Superior Court Judge Eugene Benton ordered Lindsey to attempt to notify the anonymous posters as well as depose them and other witnesses before attempting to request identifying information from the newspaper, as previously requested.

"It's confusing why this came to me," Dockery said on Thursday. "It kind of came out of the blue."

He said he wasn't sure if he became a target because of an affidavit he wrote for the motions hearing. While at Alcovy, he became upset that the administration tried to put a needs improvement status in his evaluation instead of putting him through a professional development plan first after he brought up some issues with End of Course Testing procedures in 2010. He said he still knows teachers at the school who are frustrated with administrative issues.

"(Lindsey and Carpenter) seem to target anybody who's disagreed with them," said Dockery, who now lives and teaches in Tennessee. "I did nothing wrong and see no reason why my name is being brought in."

Lindsey declined to comment Thursday.

Comments

KimberlyD 1 year, 9 months ago

So she is basically leading by example to the students that you aren't allowed to have an opinion. The "you don't agree with me so I'm going to shut you down mentality" went out a long time ago. For us to be progressive as a community we need to embrace others opinions. Sounds like there maybe some truths to these posts and she could learn from the opinions of others!! I know we can go back and re-read the comments from the OP's but it would be nice if the comments would be re-posted in the paper so our memories would be refreshed...Otherwise the Newton Citizen has done a wonderful job keeping the citizens updated on this story!!

johndoemo_ 1 year, 9 months ago

" the notice demands that Dockery stop postings that reference Newton County School System Superintendent Gary Mathews" This makes it look like Mathews has been in on this lawsuit since the beginning.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 9 months ago

Judge Benton did not tell this attorney to send cease and desist letters at all.  I was sitting in the entire 3 hour hearing.  I had 5 supboenas in my hand where these people have harassed me with multiple subpoenas at work and at home and on and on.  When will the court put a stop to Stephanie Lindsey.  I have a police report amended on the threats from someone.  Why is the Newton BOE allowing this Carpenter woman to stay employed.  This is pure harassment and violates the Judge's orders.

Satan69 1 year, 9 months ago

This is an OUTRAGE.  Why is the husband mentioned at all?  OUTRAGE in Newton County School System now she is attacking former teachers and  this is one of the TOP teachers that was at Alcovy High.  It is common knowlege that the Testing AP that year broke state rules when she let the kids leave for lunch and come back to test.  See this from the DOE site:  During one-day test administrations, lunch should not serve as the break between sections I and II. To do so, would allow for potential breaches of test security

Tatersalad 1 year, 9 months ago

Alcovy High has become a breeding ground for in and out of county gangs.   Type in "Alcovy" in Twitter and you'll see kids talking about students from other schools and other counties coming to the school to settle scores because their friends were involved in fights.  Something needs to be done and it needs to be taken seriously.

Someone posted this on Twitter:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6vbAZ...

Sundance 1 year, 9 months ago

Ho-----lee----Crap. If that is really Alcovy in that video, Mrs Carpenter has not been harassed enough in my opinion. What parent would want their kids having to go to school with that type of situation happening. Meadors was right in one of his columns about a management flush once a school system reaches a point of no return. I would never want my kids there. I thought Rockdale was bad and I take it back. We will keep what we have. I hope those kids were arrested, charged, and expelled. That is what a good principal would do. Any school board that allowed this to continue should be ashamed.

Frustrated 1 year, 9 months ago

from what I can tell thats just a small sampling of what goes on at Alcovy.

suerprincipal 1 year, 9 months ago

Just remember yall who sent this email out:   Also, please be aware that if any calls have been placed from AHS that I am completely unaware. There have not been any reports made to me about phone calls of this nature coming from AHS. It is concerning that Teacher X was in the building on such dates. Although I am in no way accusing him of making such phone calls, it is simply concerning that a person that has stated blatant untruths about my behavior on a school trip was in the building on the dates that Ms. Black references in her letter. Again, please note that I am in no way accusing Teacher X of making such calls, I am simply pointing out that the coincidence is concerning to me.   There is an earlier Newton Citizen article using this email quote from LaQuanda Carpenter pointing fingers.  Oh no my school is failing miserably.  45% Math 2 EOCT failures for 2012.  64% Grad Rate - LOWEST in NCSS and beneath the state average - yeah Baxter really wants to come to this S%^&*HOLE.

SharonBlock 1 year, 9 months ago

we do not understand how any superintendent can defend a principal who has allowed the test scores in math to go to the toilet, the grad rate to be the lowest in the county and below the state and 213 fights and not be reprimanded oh yeah we know now - it's the husband and his two  buddies on the board. VOTE THOSE TWO OUT July 31 and Nov. 6.

SharonBlock 1 year, 9 months ago

YALL LOOK WHATS AT THE CITIZEN POLL:  I WONDER HOW THE REAL STEPHANIE LINDSEY WILL FIND OUT WHO WROTTE THIS?  HOW WILL SHE SUE THEM?  OH MY GOODNESS.  See the scoop on LaQuanda Brown Carpenter, Dennis L. Carpenter and Stephanie Lindsey the Alcovy High School lawsuit of Newton County, Georgia.  Wow, I just learned that QUAN graduated from Southwest DeKalb High School.  Go figure.   I wonder what LaQuanda Carpenter thinks about this lawsuit situation. I wonder what would have happened if she had never read those comments in the paper or if she had just taken them for what they were worth and tried to improve the school. I wonder if the school board is glad that Mrs. Carpenter has reacted this way? The reason I wonder it is because they have not come out and said anything about it. Would the paper please directly ask school board members if they agree or disagree with Mrs Carpenter's lawsuit and why. If they disagree with it, what do they plan on doing about it? As a public watchdog organization, it would be helpful if you would help us voters and taxpayers flush this info out so we can decide how to vote. Thank you." "I want to know what is LaQuanda Carpenter doing today to get her high school out of the lowest graduation rate in the county category of 64 percent? What is she doing today to fix that and the 50-plus percent failures in math? What is her intervention plan today to clean up the arrest records and taser incidents and car break ins and students looting local shops around Highway 36? What is she doing today to fix it? I will tell you what she is doing. Suing people who call her out. We pay your salary woman and we will call you out."

I saw where Stephanie Lindsey posted a request for help in her lawsuit on one of the forums in this paper. Is it a common practice for this paper to allow lawyers to use these forums as investigative tools? I disagree with you letting this lawyer use the paper this way. Can any lawyer get on here and use these forums as a bulletin board to help them with this case? Can anyone just post on here things they need from the community that will help them in their job?"

"I am surprised that the newspaper has not questioned Ms. Lindsey on her attempt to turn a hearing into a trial. I would really love for the paper interview her and ask her why she wanted to call witnesses and bypass the normal legal process. Why would she want to use the court at all then? Why not have the police just snatch the records from the paper then grab all the defendants in the middle of the night? That worked for the KGB. That would shut us all up and she could run her school however she wanted to

dennistay53 1 year, 9 months ago

Come on Mrs Lindsey you are representing only one person in this suit, right? How can you go demand that someone or everyone stop posting about problems they see with the school system and or others you aren't representing? If you aren't careful someone might think that you are representing NCSS in this suit.

CadyJackson 1 year, 9 months ago

Did I wake up in the 1600's? We got ourselves an old fashioned witch hunt, ya'll.

dennistay53 1 year, 9 months ago

The school system just got dragged deeper into this. It's high time each board member come out and make a statement on this issue or in the least hire a spokesman to do so. The property tax payers need to know the full details of this before this system is given another penny and it is to late for them to hide behind any priviledge they may think they have. This makes it appear as though Mrs Lindsey is acting school board attorney. Is any school tax money going to her? Legitimate question after this article.

Unstableone 1 year, 9 months ago

Why was Mrs. Black sent FIVE subpoenas?  That sounds like harassment alone.

johndoemo_ 1 year, 9 months ago

This is interesting: "Upon information and belief, you have created numerous accounts through the Newton Citizen Newspaper website...." What is the legal definition of "information and belief"? Am I wrong or does this basically say that they're GUESSING that this guy is one of the "malicious posters," so they're accusing him based on guesses? And they're dragging him into the fray based on "information and belief"?

Is it legal to say that this sounds stupid?

Frustrated 1 year, 9 months ago

So if Dockery ISNT posting those comments does that we can sue Lindsey and Carpernter because we suspect they are saying bad things about us as well? I dont understand how Lindsey can send someone a cease and desist order if she doenst know for a fact he is positing those comments. Guess any body posting can get an order from Lindsey in her book.

ctownslimm 1 year, 9 months ago

I am not a lawyer. What does "Upon information and belief" mean? Is that anything in the neighborhood of proof? Just wondering.

mopussiolitalakaronafranchise 1 year, 9 months ago

@ sundance that is really Alcovy in that video that is horrible isn't it?

mopussiolitalakaronafranchise 1 year, 9 months ago

@ frustrated that is what we are all trying to figure out how are we getting sued when they are doing the same thing, it seems they can do as they please but the rest of us are sitting ducks so to speak. They can serve us, talk about us and give any kind of charge they want to . Pretty soon we will all be in the court room because opinion and freedom of speech are frowned upon by the Linsey firm. Wow really and this lady wants to be a judge? Good luck

Billy 1 year, 9 months ago

This is a fishing expedition. The principal believes no one should criticize her. LOL, is she in the wrong job! You reap what you sow; the principal and attorney will get what's coming to them, only it will be from the Almighty and not a cash box...

Grandcanyon 1 year, 9 months ago

Do you know what I find extremely hysterical is that here we are getting subpoenas some of us 5 or 8 of them and have to go to court for supposed libel and defamation. However now the atty for the plaintiff is coming on here having conversations with all of us. You claim that is libel. Ok first it's not professional to come on the forum and chit chat with us if your suing us and your so against free speech, and second why would become a poster when it seems to me that you are instigating or feeding the fire if you will. We are mad enough about this waste of time and problems that this caused for some more than others. Not only that do you honestly think that is funny to come on here and converse with your so called enemies and us making your client look bad when apparently she has done a pretty good job herself with accusations and everything in between. I will have to think about this because a great word comes to mind I think hypocrite might suffice. I only say that because now you have become one of us.

Do as I say not as I do!!!! Something to think about ma'am.

One more thing it's great that your using your own name but so is Ms Black and she is still being sued. So question arises should you?

mgh1966 1 year, 9 months ago

Ok Alcovygate gets a new twist. Please someone get this settled before the school starts. We need to work on math not this soapoprea "As the Stomach Truns" Both sides need to worry about the children not themsleves.

dennistay53 1 year, 9 months ago

Posters- I replied back to Mrs Lindsey through this forum via Email after she responded to one of my questions in this forum. I am convinced now (after this weekend) that this will go through the court process and will be with us for a long, long,while. In one point of view that may not be so bad. Maybe the 1st amendment needs to be verified once in a while through the court process. I believe the posters have a great case. PLEASE don't over react and post something that can't be proved that will hurt this case. I believe the actions taken this weekend goes against her and to the posters advantage. Let her keep hurting her case. I have stated to Mrs Lindsey my personal postion and have offered advice through this forum that i believe would be helpful in resolving this but it would take action by the school board. I am convinced now that they have no desire to step in. I believe that as this goes on there will be more and more pressure by the property tax payers to make changes for the better in this school system. I do not know anything myself about what is going wrong in this school system. I just know that with this many wolves howling that there has to be some real wolves. I,m just so sorry for the school children, taxpayers and teachers who have to perform and pay the bills as this continues.

CadyJackson 1 year, 9 months ago

I just googled "Information and belief" and got this from the free dictionary:

information and belief n. a phrase often used in legal pleadings (complaints and answers in a lawsuit), declarations under penalty of perjury, and affidavits under oath, in which the person making the statement or allegation qualifies it. In effect, he/she says: "I am only stating what I have been told, and I believe it." This makes clear about which statements he/she does not have sure-fire, personal knowledge (perhaps it is just hearsay or surmise), and protects the maker of the statement from claims of outright falsehood or perjury.

Hmmm. Pay close attention to the bolded part. Couldn't all the defendants in this case claim "information and belief" as the basis for their statements?

mgh1966 1 year, 9 months ago

a wise man told me once " Be carful not to step on toes going up the latter because they might connected to the butt you will have to kiss coming back down”

bkdw1974 1 year, 9 months ago

This School is a joke. I took my son out of there 3 years ago. Get over it Dr. LaQuanda Carpenter. The people who did like you before all this dont like you anymore. Now go cry your eyes out because nobody likes you........ What a joke all this is!!!!!!!!!

LoFlyer 1 year, 9 months ago

This issue should have been handled internally by the Newton County school administration. Instead the problem has grown to the point that student parents and teachers are forced to publish their opinions on the Newton citizen blog in pursuit of a solution. Fact is the NCSS board and managers should of noted the problems of Alcovy high several years ago and made adjustments. Concerning Carpenter and her husband, by any ethical standard concerning nepotism, one should not be working as subordinate of the other. Even if her husband does not directly supervise his spouse, undoubtedly he wields influence in the NCSS. I would advise an outside investigation. Of course that's not going to happen. Citizens can maintain the pressure to improve education by remaining focused on the issues. When lawyers get involved, generally something illegal has occurred. My opinionated opinion. KenC

mgh1966 1 year, 9 months ago

8 members of the grand jury can investigate any thing in County Govt. It just takes 8 out of the 23 members.

AWOL 1 year, 9 months ago

Somebody's hittin the Pabst a little early.

mgh1966 1 year, 9 months ago

Jackson lake is nice this time of year

mgh1966 1 year, 9 months ago

anybody have a good place for dinner

gsm7476 1 year, 9 months ago

Savannha has some great places my friend Jim Rockford was hired to follow someone in Savannha last month. He told me some great places to go.

amp72 1 year, 9 months ago

Do you hear that sound? Listen....... QUASH!!!!!! Oh, and Judge Ott might as well go ahead and get that acceptance speech ready, as if it was ever in doubt.

Now Dr. Mathews, it is time for you to step in and do your job. Clean house.

gsm7476 1 year, 9 months ago

I think I Ott to eat some SQUASH tonoight

Unstableone 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow!!!! This needs to be stopped as soon as possible these kids don't needs to be fighting like this. I mean fights will happen but so many in a school year wow. Some one help prison 36 become AHS again.

Frustrated 1 year, 9 months ago

I just read an article in the other paper that printed exerpts from the cease and desist order. How can LIndsey tell Dockery to stop posting about Carpenter's husband, BOE, school system, etc if she isnt representing them legally? Add to that the fact she cant prove he posted anything is just mindboggling. How much further is she going to be allowed to go with this?

HonestAbe 1 year, 9 months ago

The other paper headline reads SCHOOL SCANDEL yet they keep taking sides with the school board and suer? Go figure

HonestAbe 1 year, 9 months ago

I believe the only way to stop this is for someone she is falsely acusing to file a suit against her for slander.

amp72 1 year, 9 months ago

Funny that they release the teacher's emails to smear him in public yet they won't run dozens of Dennis Carpenter's emails where he whines like a baby about how his wife is mistreated by "bloggers." He also whines about negative publicity surrounding AHS, and all of this during office hours. On our dime.

gsm7476 1 year, 9 months ago

you know hard drives fall under open records

gsm7476 1 year, 9 months ago

Warning to the people of Baxter Buy homes in Morgan County the school system is much better. Do not make the mistakes we did.

gsm7476 1 year, 9 months ago

I plan to vote with my feet. I am sending my kids to GWA and next I going to rent my house until pires go back up and buy a home in Morgan Couty.

gsm7476 1 year, 9 months ago

Smering people is a tactic used in politics to make the other person just as bad as you are.

Frustrated 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey Lindsey I have an idea for you.Why not just publish a cease and desist order for all of us since you can seem to figure out who is posting? Lets see how that would work for you.

gsm7476 1 year, 9 months ago

How about a cease and desit order so we want have to read anymore of this soapopera (as the stomach truns)