Mathews finds no wrongdoing of Alcovy funds

COVINGTON -- Newton County School System Superintendent Gary Mathews will not call for any disciplinary action of the Alcovy High School principal after public allegations of the misappropriation of school funds.

Mathews sent out a media alert on Thursday afternoon addressing allegations from the public that Principal LaQuanda Carpenter had purchased alcohol with public funds while on a school-sponsored student trip to Florida in 2010 and also mismanaged school club funds.

"At the request of several members of the Newton County Board of Education, I am reporting to the public-at-large that I have completed an investigation regarding allegations related to the purchase and/or consumption of alcohol on a student trip as well as missing funds from the school's band account," he wrote in the e-mail. "In short, the overwhelming preponderance of evidence does not call for any disciplinary action to be handed out."

On June 11, Mathews deferred a question from The Citizen seeking information about his investigation to school board Attorney Kent Campbell, and neither has responded until this time. On June 5, Mathews said he was "not in the position to comment" about the investigation at that time. In May in a letter read during a school board meeting about the allegation, he said that no missing funds had been recorded by auditors or brought to his attention.

In Thursday's e-mail, Mathews said he reported his recent findings in the school board's executive session on June 5. He said he interviewed six individuals over the last several weeks who stated they were present on the trip in question and at a particular restaurant in Florida during the spring of 2010.

"All but one, and all claimed to be present, confirmed that Principal Carpenter neither purchased nor consumed alcohol while at this restaurant which was/is the site of the alleged event," he wrote in Thursday's e-mail. "As for missing band funds (cash), clearly school officials should have kept better records in this particular account. That said, there is no evidence to suggest that any particular individual deliberately misused or misappropriated funds."

Comments

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

So where did the money go? Are we just concerned with clearing Carpenter's name or are we concerned with the fact that money is allegedly missing? NCSS seems to have its priorities screwed up and I can't help but wonder if the make-up of the BOE has anything to do with it. When taxpayer money is missing then shouldn't someone file a police report? Is one person conducting an investigation enough, or shouldn't we have more people, asking more questions, and interviewing more than half a dozen people about one incident? This didn't clear anything up for me, it just made it less clear than before.

Freshvoice2012 2 years, 3 months ago

Ok so she NAMES a school board member we put in to office NAMES him and she knows all along there was missing funding or misappropriated or some BS going on she KNOWS it?  That ain't right.  The buck stops with the principal and you cant blame this like you did the harassing phone calls it stops with principal.  UNREAL she NAMES a board member knowing all along she was covering something up.

ontomorrow 2 years, 3 months ago

Um who is doing the PR in this school system?  This letter opens up more questions than it answers. . Who are the several board members who are telling the superintendent what to do?  And for Carpenter she just lost any claims why is this done during the process of the lawsuit.  There is obvious evidence now that monies were not handled right and that the alcohol/tequila was a she said / he or she said - this system has got to clean it up.

ontomorrow 2 years, 3 months ago

I find Carpenter despicable.  She knew monies were not accounted for given this and she used the court to hold a hearing dragging people thru her mud.  I am outraged.

Personalsavior 2 years, 3 months ago

Isn't this what the Lindsey woman say was going on I guess leaking close session stuff and here goes the Super being told I guess to leak closed session stuff?

AWOL 2 years, 3 months ago

Please rewrite this so we can understand it.

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

Problem solved. The reason for all the turmoil in our school system stems from poor or no record keeping. I mean, just because our school system has the most educated people in our county is no reason why we should expect good records to be kept. Maybe we need to sue the one responsible for keeping these records. Do anyone know where we could find a good suer lawyer in this county?

Personalsavior 2 years, 3 months ago

Three words for LaQuanda - Libel Lawsuit Lost.  Did your attorney know the Super was going to deliver you on a platter in an "inconclusive" booze investigation and an interesting coin of the phrase on missing funds that raises more questions than it answers and these are our taxpayer dollars.

Henrycounselor 2 years, 3 months ago

Isn't it amusing how she never gets the b lame - phone calls - he did it - missing dollars - they did it blah blah blah ink pink you stink

mgh1966 2 years, 3 months ago

Did Dr M Interview all parents on the Trip? Ans. is NO. Because I know more than 6 Adults were on the trip. And I Know 1 that has not been interviewed. This may not change anything but it still leaves Questions why is the investgation incomplete. Dr m You get an F on the test in my class. You may need to retake the class. The public has lost trust in the school system, and it is time to put all this behind us so that the *CHILDREN* are put first. Interview everyone so that there will be No questions as we start the next school year and release it all to both newspapers. That is the only way the publics Trust in the school system can be regained any trust and respect from the community.

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

I suggest ANYONE with knowledge about this trip or who knows someone who was on it contact Dr. Mathews. My question is, how did he establish what people to speak to. Who supplied those names? And it sounds like money IS missing, because he implies school officials need to do a better job. Well if that is the case then taxpayer money is missing and a police report/investigation should ensue. I don't really care if Carpenter was involved or not. It seems all anyone is concerned about is clearing her name. I want to know why club money (and not just THIS money but other clubs as well) has been reported missing and yet we heard nothing about that. There should be a deeper investigation. Not just one man interviewing half a dozen people. If anything, his findings are inconclusive at best.

rochelle 2 years, 3 months ago

Remember every high school has it's own bookkeeper. So start the investigation with the bookkeeper. Because they are suppose to keep records of what is being disbursed and to who.

Frustrated 2 years, 3 months ago

Surprise surprise. In the law enforcement world an investigation is not complete until you interview ALL the witnesses not just a select few.

Kodaanddylansmom 2 years, 3 months ago

Matthews was not even here in spring of 2010 and why is exec session stuff dumped in the local news.  This place is a PR cluster%^&*(.   WHO told him who to interview since he was not here until July 1, 2010?

tomgahunter 2 years, 3 months ago

I was happy when we hired Gary Mathews but he really needs to write in a coherent manner. This reads like a standard CYA memo. Mr Mathews please get on top of this serious mess & try to get it settled out of court.

KimberlyD 2 years, 3 months ago

No wonder our schools are so financially "bad off." It's a crying shame because the students and parents that have extra curricular involvement are really being screwed over. Kids involved in extra-curricular activities have to work their butts off to raise money, practice, planning, etc and the parents are having to pay for uniforms, gas to after school events and any trips that are involved and this is what happens...All through high school I played softball and was in a club at NHS and we NEVER had any issues like this with either of those!!! It's a crying shame that this has happened!!!

Freshvoice2012 2 years, 3 months ago

WSB is reporting that the Eric Holder's justice department is suing the Brian Kemp Sec of State office for the way Georgia operates run off elections. Sounds like LaQuanda Carpenter huh?

Frustrated 2 years, 3 months ago

Guess this goes to show how much it helps when you have friends in charge of conducting investigations.

manning 2 years, 3 months ago

Frustrated you are absolutely correct! It has been my opinion Mr. Carpenter is Dr. Matthews right hand man since Dr. Matthews came to our school system!

MamaTurd 2 years, 3 months ago

How do I transfeer my child out of Alcovy over to Eastside.  Can I pay to do this someone please post the policy.

MamaTurd 2 years, 3 months ago

Can someone get this woman out of our news?  My cat won't even pee on the paper no more.

Crazyhooker99 2 years, 3 months ago

Are the complaints about the Chick fil a biscuit sales dollars true?  Is that a different matter?

SharonBlock 2 years, 3 months ago

I can't believe what I am hearing is this true that there is missing money and that woman sat in court saying that the comments were libel about this calling them all liars and then come to find out it is really true? Wow I can't even believe this.

Covingtonian 2 years, 3 months ago

I as many others am disappointed that some type of resolution wasn't found on Tuesday but, for anyone to say that an attorney doesn't know the law because of the way this case was handled is absurd. Sitting judges make mistakes, that is why we have appeallate courts. If memory serves correctly the judge hearing this case just had one of his decisions overturned in a capitol murder case a few months ago. What I have to say is going to be long, out of necessity, so be forwarned. Bloggers have gotten upset with most everyone who doesn't take their side of this issue. To the Newton citizen, my dismay is turning to disgust. You keep allowing some bloggers to post as if they are texting and some of the names, such as the one above "MamaTurd? Come on and some bloggers are concerned that school age kids may be reading these comments. I stated a long time back that I am about "fairness" but the comments that this paper is printing is overwhelmingly against the Carpenters,her lawyer,the BOE and the School superintendent. Here is just a sampling with my thoughts added.: Amp72, "Think back to before we had the Internet, when people gathered for town hall meetings. There were probably quite a few unpleasant things said against public officials or people in positions of power." This is true with the one difference being they were face to face. Billyp66, 'I complained numerous times about my daughter's prinicpal and her teachers when she was in school and never did get sued.' Yeah but did you do it through the newspapers? HonestAbe, 'After reading this can anyone say in good faith that Lindsey is qualified to be a judge?" He isn't the only one that has expressed this sentiment in the paper. Billy, "You can sue, sue, sue, honey, but everyone knows all about you now and there isn't one thing you can do about it." What would anyone think who takes these comments as written? I for one took sides immediately against the plantiff and her lawyer but once I started to research and get the whole picture I submitted an apology on one of these many blogs. I would like to see an editorial on why you continue to print these accusatory comments after stories appear when you don't have to. Is it to sell papers or to get more viewership on the net which parlays into advertising dollars? If you must continue to print these negative and repetitive comments please get a full time moderator to hold questionable comments and screen names for further review by your staff.We have elections coming up and some of these individuals are running for office, your continually reporting negative and unfounded claims could affect the elections based upon unfounded accusations. I am not campaigning for or against any candidates as of this writing but, I feel that your paper is.

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

Again i asked a question Covingtonian. This is more that once that you misread my comments. No i do not believe she is qualified after her performance in the hearing. But that is up to each reader to decide. Again you appear to only want one side printed- your side. You seem to be asking this paper to print only your side of the issue yet you call yourself for fairness. You take sides with the other paper for taking sides and calling the posters COWARDS yet you you have issues against this paper for printing both sides. You accuse them of trying to sell papers by allowing this blog. What do you think the other paper is doing in their editorial which is critical of the bloggers and handling of it by this paper? I am only responding to Covingtonian because he used me in his posting. I welcome his response back.

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

Hi Stephanie. How's that campaign for judge going for you?

MamaTurd 2 years, 3 months ago

Covingtonian I am very offended that is my real name and it is no worse then Laquanda and by the way what is a quan. I know children read this but I can't help my parents named me this.

MamaTurd 2 years, 3 months ago

Covingtonian let's put the blame squarely where it belongs for the explosion of comments - on the PLAINTIFF LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School NOT the newspaper or the people.

Personalsavior 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey Covingtonian what is YOUR real name u hypocrite.  You don't have to read the blogs.  Free country.

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm willing to bet it is Stephanie.

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

And you completely missed my point in that quote you pulled out. It has NOTHING to do with being anonymous or not. But just like Carpenter, you are fixated on that part of it. Forest for the trees. Whether they were face to face or anonymous on-line, the point is people have a right, actually a DUTY, to question those in positions of power and taxpayer funded officials. If you don't like it, suck it up and do a better job. It doesn't matter if you can't put a face to the comment. Well, it does if you are a vindictive person who just wanted to bully people.

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

Covingtonian this can be looked at in two way. Whether it hurts Lindsey is how well she performs. This is FREE PRESS for her. It could help her more than hurt her if most agree with you as you seem to think but i don't, so she may get upset with you trying to stop these postings.

rochelle 2 years, 3 months ago

Are these really adults blogging like this? Everyone has a boss, if Newton's Board of Education isn't taking the necessary steps you feel are necessary take it to the next level. Have an internal investigation done within the superindents office. Because I am sure if you all put as much energy into contacting them as you do this blog, I am sure something will be done even if it isn't too your liking. OMG you all are doing too much.

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

Why do you think everyone is so frustrated? We HAVE done that. No one listens! Seriously, do you really think we just write a bunch of stuff on here and then that's it?

rochelle 2 years, 3 months ago

The only thing I read about is this crazy lawsuit but not once do I read an article on how the community can rally together and fight for our school system to not be looked at as a laughing matter. I was downtown last weekend shopping with a friend from East Cobb and she was discussing with me how horrible NCSS has gotten and how this entire ordeal looks bad for Newton County as a whole. Because it shows lack of leadership with the BOE and Superintendent. I would hate to be accussed and have to sit in front of these bloggers because they have no mercy even if the women is innocent.

Grandcanyon 2 years, 3 months ago

Rochelle you have a wee bit  of a point as I sit and ponder.  The only one in this whole mess NOT  acting like an ADULT is LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School in Newton County School System, Covington, GA 30014.

rochelle 2 years, 3 months ago

@Grandcanyon, she may not be acting like an adult, however, the comments that are being made on the blogs are not helping NCSS, so I say again, why not put the time and frustration into correcting the problem. All truly concerned parties should blog about how they plan to rally together to have the issues resolved not continuously point fingers. This blog is beating a dead horse becasue apparently Mrs. Carpenter isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

And it's not because we haven't complained to the "higher ups." Just ask Meadors, he has received dozens and dozens of calls, emails, and complaints. But in your post you demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding how the process works and why nothing gets done. The BOE is elected, so we can solve that problem on July 31 by kicking out some of the "problem children." Mathews answers to the BOE. So if there is a majority (say, oh I don't know.... 3 against 2, then Mathews' hands are tied. I'll give you a guess who those 3 are in this instance). And in order for the principal to be removed there have to be complaints and COMPETENT investigations. There are complaints against her but there are NOT competent and thorough investigations performed. So here we are, back at square one. This forum has taken off because it is the only viable alternative in a completely screwed up system!

rochelle 2 years, 3 months ago

@amp72, The investigations are not competent because? Is there a listing that provide the details of the investigation? Without knowing other than what the superintendent provided which did not list the details of the investigation, is it fair to say it was not competent? If you ask me the entire BOE needs to be replaced for allowing this entire ordeal to reach this level because they all sit hush mouth and allow NCSS to become a joke.

mrbill 2 years, 3 months ago

The property owners who pay taxes on their Newton County properties are the bosses. So therefore, many on this blog feel they are going to the top when they let the property owners know what is, or is not, being done with the money they donate to the schools each year. It appears that many of these bloggers feel they are being ignored when they go to the superintendent with their concerns. As a result, they have taken their message to the people.

I personally have no way of knowing whether or not all the accusations are true. However, the fact that the Carpenters are married, and that he is the Operations director is very concerning. This alone creates an environment of mistrust and suspicion. In addition, the safety and success of the students in the school should be the top priority for all involved in this situation. I have seen very little response from the superintendent's office in regards to improving these very serious situations. I have to ask myself, "Why is that?"

rochelle 2 years, 3 months ago

@MrBill: If I am correct, the superintendent reports to the school board. Therefore, concerns should be directed to the board and if they are not addressed accordingly, they should elect different school board members.

mrbill 2 years, 3 months ago

I believe that is the plan. However, I would not want to be a student, in a school where safety is a concern, hoping that in November things will get better. Every day must feel like a lifetime to them.

rochelle 2 years, 3 months ago

Forgot to address I too agree regarding Operations Director and Mrs. Carpenter this a bit of concern and I understand the comments for that sole topic only. The blogs are regarding theft, drinking, law suits, and things that aren't related to the real issue......An investigation has been done and if it isn't to the liking, contact the board members. Although we are tax payers, we are naysayers regarding the dismissal and employment of the superintendent. Only BOE members control that. But we can control who are BOE members. Take a stand and show actions and not continously blog an apparent problem. Actions speak louder than words. However, I disagree about donations being given to the school. NCSS due to budget cuts no longer provide tax payer dollars to extracurricular activities at school. All monies are from fundraisers or out of the pockets of parents. No taxpayer dollars are no longer being put into NCSS for that purpose. And to all who may blog differently based on past comments, please contact the BOE office to confirm or better yet attend the BOE meetings to help you stay informed. Please self educate and attend the BOE meetings. They are open meetings.

mrbill 2 years, 3 months ago

I didn't say anything about property taxes going to extracurricular activities. I'm referring to the 60% of a property tax bill that goes to the education of our children. I used the word donation loosely. What I should have said is money that is taken from each and every property owner in the county annually. My concern is that the school system has an obligation to the citizens to assure the opportunity for success and safety of the students. For that to happen strong leadership needs to be in place.

tomgahunter 2 years, 3 months ago

My School Board member is Jeff Medows, he is doing a great job, so good that the Carpenters are suing him although he has only posted in his own name. I hope when this is over he will sue the Carpenters for this legal fees & damage to his reputation.

Covingtonian 2 years, 3 months ago

I have no problem with sharing my identity if everbody would like to come out. I am a law abiding vietnam vet who am all about fair play. I agree with Mr. Bill on one point in that I too feel that "the Carpenters are married, and that he is the Operations director is very concerning". Most of you simpletons assume that I support the Carpenters, as I have said more than once it's all about fairness. You are so enraged that you hear and read what you want to. Some have even attacked me as being self righteous for my wanting to wait and get the facts. I have to admit that I have gotten several laughs out of these blogs when some of you are probably about to stroke out because you allow what others say and feel affect you. Take a chill pill, and if there are any school age young ones reading this, I apologize for the behavoir of some of the adults including my own. And to Miss Turd I sincerely apologize to you. As ole Huckaby says, you never know whose watching.

MamaTurd 2 years, 3 months ago

It's ok covingtonian you had know idea of knowing that my real name or last name was turd. All people make errors no problem and your right you never know whose watching the only problem I have is people are complaining that that others re using alias's but everyone is doing that so it doesn't make it fair to pinpoint others when everyone is doing the same.

JustPassingThrough 2 years, 3 months ago

I watched the last few meetings of the Board of Education expecting to see dozens of outraged members of the public speaking out about this situation, however there were exactly ZERO public comments.

Zero comments -  not just about this situation but zero about anything.  Not a single person made a positive comment, a negative comment or posed a question to the board.

Having read many of the comments in the paper I had the impression there is a significant group of people interested in getting answers and having people speak on the record, so having no one make any comments or ask questions of the board of education was surprising.

Some people might say they're employed by the school system and afraid of reprisal. But what better way to have "whistle blower" protection than speaking out in public and on the record?

I'm sorry, but after watching those board meetings it seems this community talks about being interested in children's education but the actions don't match up.

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

First of all there is no "whistleblower" protection, whether you speak publicly or not. Just look what happened to these teachers: http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/whistle-blowing-teachers-targeted-812369.html

Also, just because the meetings allow for public comment does not mean anyone can just walk up and start ranting and raving. It doesn't work that way. There is a process, and the BOE can decide what they want to allow or not allow. In fact, if you look at the website it says you have to submit a potential complaint in writing 7 days in advance. So yes, there is public participation but it is limited. Besides, just look at the people who have spoken up- a resident, a BOE member, and a teacher. How has that worked out for them? (Threats, lawsuit, suspension and threats of termination).

Freshvoice2012 2 years, 3 months ago

Mr Bill and Covingtonian,   I agree we can come to more order here.  I do want to say that hthe lawyer did not do her profession much credit.  I truly believe that no one can be  blamed other than LaQuanda and Stephanie for the public outrage.  Nowhere in the country have I found by Google or Yahoo where a school system employee sues like this and names a board member who has worked hard to correct her husband and to the knowledge of most in the school system he has had little to no contact with the wife who is actually the plaintiff.   There is history here but it strikes most of us in the system that the conflict - which more than one board member has complained about and we know exact quotes - the conflict of interest has impacted parents at Alcovy, employees and even board meetings.  It is very real and it has shown it's face a lot.   I guess LaQuanda is the surrogate plaintiff it is hard to say but at any rate there are more reports we have sent in of alleged fund issues and money issues in other clubs.  One teacher even asked to get a private bank account because she could never figure out monthly what was in her account.  These accounts are overseen by the principal and check requistions approved by her and her husband oversees the school budget.   The worse part of it all is that this has been the story of NCSS for months now and she knew there were serious money issues whether she takes responsibility as building leader or not well who is surprised at that - WE hold her liable.  She hauled a bunch of good people in to court this week knowing her libel claims had no merit and her lawyer should be fined for frivolous lawsuit.

ShannonBlack 2 years, 3 months ago

@justpassingthrough I just want to say I agree with you most of the comments on here do not talk about fixing children's education or even talk about the children period the whole fact of the matter is everyone is so focused on what is being said and done we are forgetting whys important. The children. They are getting the crap end of the deal during all of this. If everyone feels so strongly about it go to the board meeting and be heard I completely agree and noone up to now has done that. So I think you have a legitimate complaint with this and I agree. I think everyone who has a concern needs to go to the the BOE meeting and voice it. Good point!!!!!

Grandcanyon 2 years, 3 months ago

I sent in more complaints to the board about our club funds.  Did Mr. Matthews investigate the complaints from DECA Golf CTI FBLA the biscuit sale money and all of the problems we have had where even one teacher asked to be able to establish a private bank acct since her money was not right ever did he do this?  This investigation is half^&*((.

Beautifulblueeyes 2 years, 3 months ago

I supported Mr. Meadors years back when he ran on classroom and teacher support and student achievement.  He is hard nosed and a house cleaner and I guess it is simply hitting too close to home.  If the rats are being sniffed out then he is doing the very job I put him there to do.  He stands up for teachers and he usually stands alone.

tomgahunter 2 years, 3 months ago

@HonestAbe ,@Covingtonian, @rochelle,@ JustPassingThrough,@mrbillI think we can all agree that the school system needs a nepotism policy. Are you'll willing to meet for lunch & discuss a way we can get this accomplished?

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes we need a nepotism. If we had one most of this would not be going on. No where should you have a husband and wife in postion where they are or could be lined up in a chain of command. I would be very happy to meet after this suit is dropped or settled, even though i don;t care if someone knows my idenity in most cases- to give it out now would hurt the cases of the named defendants. I would be glad to attend a meeting called and posted for the general public. Thank you

ontomorrow 2 years, 3 months ago

I want to know what is LaQuanda Carpenter doing today to get her high school out of the lowest graduation rate in the county category of 64%?  What is she doing today to fix that and the 50 plus % failures in Math?  What is her intervention plan today to clean up the arrest records and taser incidents and car break ins and students looting local shops around Hwy 36?  What is she doing today to fix it?  I will tell you what she is doing.  Suing people who call her out.  We pay your salary woman and we WILL call you out.

Littlemissmuffett 2 years, 3 months ago

Just last week LaQuanda Carpenter, principal at Alcovy High School, and married to Dennis L. Carpenter the man who oversees her  budget and human resources, blamed a teacher for harassing phone calls.  I hope the Judge sees this.  What proof was  that claim based on?  Here is the article read for yourself:  http://www.newtoncitizen.com/news/201...     I ask you who will protect this teacher when he/she goes back to school next month?  This woman has attacked him in an email to the school board and to others?  Can he sue her back?  I want t he ACLU involved asap.

Calisweetheart 2 years, 3 months ago

I used to like this Superintendent and defended him.  This is dragging out too long and I am not liking him anymore.

Shannonofmanycolors 2 years, 3 months ago

A real  investigation does  not  start with the principal giving you a list of names of people to interview.  There were twice this many adults on the trip.  Since this can of worms got opened and she can thank her lawsuit for that (wonder what else is coming out) then the investigation needs to be by an outside agency like the NCSO or the AG.  Students should be asked.  Every single meal should be investigated.  Receipts for the trip should be made public.  Travel agency dollars and receipts should be made public.  Did any parents cover any alleged missing funds?  If so who are they or what are the amounts?  This is public dollars and she is on the public tab so let's get it fully out there.

MissLoy 2 years, 3 months ago

Are the citizens of this county paying attention?  Look at the articles in  both papers.  LaQuanda Carpenter last week said a teacher has told "blatant lies" about her.  In return she points to him or her on the alleged harassing calls out of the high school.  Makes you go mmmm.   Then look at the new stuff in the other paper.  Matthews learned information from " by talking to Carpenter, board member Jeff Meadors and from an anonymous tip from an unknown person."

MissLoy 2 years, 3 months ago

VOTE to support HR 1162 we need our money to follow our children not to fund NCSS.

NewtonNeighbor 2 years, 3 months ago

@Just Passing: From the NCSS website: "Public participation is the time that the Board has set aside to encourage you as members of our community to voice your opinion on any matter, either included on or excluded from, the printed agenda. A maximum time of five minutes will be allotted to a single individual or a single topic based on the number of requests. Complaints against any employee of the school system will not be heard unless the complaint has been submitted, in writing, to the Superintendent at least seven (7) days prior to the Board meeting. If unresolved, any personal complaints about school personnel must be put in writing for the Board to review in Executive Session. Personal attacks against any member of the Board will not be tolerated.

Once the time for public participation has passed, discussion of topics will be restricted to Board members only.

Thank you in advance for complying with this request.

I think this easily explains why you didn't happen to see any public outcry at the meetings.

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

Exactly- Past years have shown it does no good. A teacher would be crazy to speak up here because it would cost them there job in the long run. This board only let's you speak because they have to. If you were to speakup against them to hard they would have you led out by law.

MamaTurd 2 years, 3 months ago

In my opinion this principal will never regain respect in her building.  Teachers have no respect for her.  She will be outed and attacked constantly  now.  NCSS needs a nepotism policy bad.

SharonBlock 2 years, 3 months ago

I have an idea for Eddie Johnson since we still don't kjnow what the AG said.  How about Mr. Board Chair you submit weekly articles to the paper and we will read what you have to say.

SharonBlock 2 years, 3 months ago

Newton Citizen mgh mentioned something I want to know about.  How much was spent by the school b oard in Savannah at the trip they took 2 weeks ago.  Open the records on their spending on the Savannah trip like the DC trip you did earlier please mams and sirs.  I want to know what taxpayers paid for in Savannah 2 weeks ago dammit.

Wildwomanoftigertown 2 years, 3 months ago

guess the commiish chair dropped her lawsuit threats on cnty manager after seeing how this turned out.

HonestAbe 2 years, 2 months ago

Tomgahunter- I have worked in business for over 35 years. Numerous times i have seen Husband and wife work at different levels of management. I have never seen it work without problems. Even if they did nothing wrong they will be talked about and it hurts the performance of the business. Not only is the board and superintenant hurting the moral and performance of the school and causing alarm of the parents and taxpayers but to be honest- if they really admit it this is not good to put the Carpenters in this position. This is what upsets me the most- Lack of leadership by the Supt and board. This should have been handled LONG ago. I would suggest a temporary fix. No way should this be allowed to go into the new school year with the Carpenters in the same job positions especially if the suit is still going. If you can not legally put the Principle on paid leave you should move her to a elementary school principle job even if you have to legally pay her the same. There will be much more problems with her at the high school level than at the lower grade schools. Then you can work on a policy to prevent this type personell problem in the future.

JustPassingThrough 2 years, 2 months ago

My main point is that public participation on ANY topic is extremely rare. So rare it would seem extinct.

While I realize the topic of the lawsuit is what many people seem to be interested in, the larger picture indicates a community that has abdicated their role with engaging the board of education and is not engaged in the education process.

While we all have the ability and right to submit articles to publications and to make comments on articles, the only two effective methods for engaging elected leaders are direct public participation at public meetings and the voting booth. Commenting in newspapers and other publications can stir up things a bit, but it's like throwing a rock into a pond - there's a big splash and a few ripples but then very little evidence of change.

Let's be honest --- it is not easy to get to most community based meetings, whether itsbe BOE, BOC, or others. They are usually in the evenings when moms and dads and everyone else has other things going on. And there are definitely rules of how to participate, rules that people must educate themselves on. But until parents and the community as a whole start placing a higher value on the future than the moment, all the news articles and comments begin to sound like the people that don't vote and complain about who got elected.

If the community wants to hold a publicly elected board to a high standard (BOE, County commissioners, city council, etc) the best way to do that is to show up. And by in large, that isn't happening now at ANY elected board's meetings.

Let's get the plank out of our own eyes quickly.

Wildwomanoftigertown 2 years, 2 months ago

Savannah?  Huh?  Don't it stink bad enough down there from paper mills why add these gas bags to it?  Why would Newton taxpayers pay for that though I don't get it?

Watermelonlover 2 years, 2 months ago

I sure hope I did not have anything to do with a trip for this crowd of gassy lazies to go to Savannah do you mean it?

Satan69 2 years, 2 months ago

I do not understand.  Why would we pay for a Savannah trip?  Did we not just pay for Turner to go to DC?  What did we get out of that?  Is that where they taught how to call central office employees?

Billy 2 years, 2 months ago

The missed point is this: Matthews wants to avoid a lawsuit from the ultra high quality principal at Alcovy. Not a lot of character displayed by Matthews, suffice it to say, but he's trying to save Newton County taxpayers a truckload of legal fees to defend against a lawsuit. Not that this is a perfect solution, but I don't want to pay any more taxes than I already do, and I bet some county workers don't want to be laid off to pay for yet another worthless person with a lawyer. You people get want you settle for: you wanted a godless school system, and the lawyers gave it to you in 1962. The present cesspool is the result. So pat yourselves on the back. You reap what you sow, and the harvest has arrived...

MamaTurd 1 year, 9 months ago

This still concerns me a whole lot.