Judge orders Lindsey to notify web posters

Citizen not obligated to furnish identifying information

Alcovy High School Principal LaQuanda Carpenter, left, sits with her attorney Stephanie Lindsey during Tuesday's motions hearing in Newton County Superior Court. Staff Photos: Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith

photo

Newton County School System's Dennis Carpenter, deputy superintendent of Operations, stands with his wife LaQuanda Carpenter at Tuesday's hearing. LaQuanda Carpeter cited negative comments about her, her school and her marriage from web posters on the Newton Citizen website as defamatory and caused her public hatred.

COVINGTON -- A Newton County Superior Court judge ruled Tuesday that the Newton Citizen does not yet have to reveal the identities of anonymous posters from its website.

During a nearly three-hour motions hearing in connection with a defamation lawsuit filed by Alcovy High School Principal LaQuanda Carpenter, Judge Eugene Benton ordered attorney Stephanie Lindsey to attempt to notify the anonymous posters as well as depose them and other witnesses before attempting to request identifying information from the newspaper.

Additionally, he ruled that the Georgia Shield statute applies to the case.

"The plaintiff cannot force the Newton Citizen to reveal the identities unless the plaintiff has used all other reasonable efforts to find them," said David Hudson, the attorney for the Georgia Press Association representing the Citizen.

Carpenter had filed a suit in April claiming originally that 11 web commenters posted libelous, defamatory comments and false information that subjected her to public hatred. She also subpoenaed the Citizen requesting all information and documents sufficient to identify the names, addresses and telephone numbers associated with the commenters, as well as documents reproducing the texts of the comments and all server logs, IP address logs, account information, account access records and application or registration forms related to the commenters.

Hudson filed a motion in May to quash the subpoena, citing that the Georgia Shield Law protects journalists against disclosing the information and also that the anonymous web posters are afforded protection under the First Amendment.

Both sides argued their points during the motions hearing Tuesday, citing previous court cases around the country dealing with similar issues, since Georgia has not previously seen a case like this.

Lindsey said the web comments were a "systematic approach to destroy (Carpenter's) reputation ... effectively causing a mob of people against her ... (and) making Dr. Carpenter look like she's the devil."

Hudson said that in addition to the comments being protected by the Shield law, only two of them could possibly be argued as defamatory if the facts in them are proven to be false.

He argued that most of the comments posted are opinion or commentary, protected by the First Amendment.

"It's a fundamental American right to speak anonymously," Hudson said, adding that public figures should know that members of the public might not always agree with the things they do and may speak out against them.

Under the Shield law, a plaintiff has to prove she cannot obtain the information elsewhere. Hudson told the judge that Lindsey already had claimed in an amendment to her suit that Newton County Board of Education Vice Chair Jeff Meadors had created three of the IDs to make comments on the site, proving she has alternative means to identify the web posters.

During the hearing, Lindsey attempted to call on Citizen editor Alice Queen to answer questions. Lindsey also had subpoenaed Newton County School System Superintendent Gary Mathews and each member of the school board to speak about Carpenter and prove the information in the postings is false, citing a need for an evidentiary hearing.

Shannon Black, an individual who has claimed two of the IDs, also was subpoenaed but has yet to be named in the suit.

Meadors was present with his attorney Jeff Foster of Foster & Hanks LLC in Monroe. Carpenter's husband, Dennis Carpenter, deputy superintendent of Operations at NCSS, also was present in the courtroom.

Lindsey said that she was ready to move forward with her case, call witnesses and enter evidence, and didn't want to waste the time of the court since they would end up back in the courtroom anyway.

Benton told Lindsey that the motion hearing was not yet the time to call forth witnesses.

"That is what the trial is for," he said.

The judge also told Lindsey that proper notification had not been given to the web posters identified in the suit, although she claimed that they were provided notification since the Citizen wrote articles about the case and the web posters made comments on the articles.

"We didn't have to (notify them)," Lindsey argued.

However, the judge disagreed.

"The plaintiff must make the effort. You can't let (the Citizen) do it for you," Benton said. "Before you filed a complaint, you should have ran a notice somewhere, somehow.

"They might not know the law and that a lawyer could represent them anonymously," he added. "That doesn't end the process. That just starts the process."

Benton ordered Lindsey to notify the anonymous posters, informing them that they have the right to be represented or anonymously represented. They must be informed of the hearing date and have time to object; Benton felt that 30 days was enough notice to give them.

He also requested that Lindsey and Hudson submit briefs in order to be prepared upon return to the courtroom; he added that Lindsey could set up depositions of witnesses as well as Meadors and Black to "resolve a lot of the issues" before returning to the courtroom.

Other information can be obtained through the discovery process, Benton said.

"It doesn't stop you from re-filing a subpoena," he said.

Lindsey also is to show efforts to obtain information of the commenters by means other than subpoenaing the newspaper for information.

"If I allowed (the IP addresses to be released), the Newton Citizen would give the information without (the web posters) having the right to object to it," Benton said. "The Newton Citizen can't file a motion to dismiss."

Lindsey is a candidate for Newton County Superior Court judge, opposing incumbent Chief Judge John Ott, in this year's nonpartisan race.

Comments

Romulus 2 years, 4 months ago

So it looks like the can was kicked down the road and that the case continues: "The Newton Citizen can't file a motion to dismiss."

I don't understand why that is. It seems like someone should make a ruling on whether or not Carpenter has a case. If she does, it goes forward, and if she does not, it's done with. The winners today were the attorneys who get paid for today and have the promise of still more money down the road.

Someone really needs to have a heart-to-heart with Dr. Carpenter. Even though I'm not a huge fan, I am mindful of the toll this is going to take personally upon this family. This lawsuit is poised to drag on well into the school year. Whatever suffering occurred as a result of the comments is nothing compared to the publicity coming from a protracted legal battle; the first of its kind in Georgia. It will be draining financially and physically. Professionally, it is hard to imagine someone willing to touch them in any capacity.

And Dr. Matthews needs to take the necessary step and put her on leave until this case is resolved. As soon as she named a school board member in the case, she was essentially suing the system: a person duly elected to represent the people.

UGAFan 2 years, 4 months ago

Romulus, I do not think that it is kicking the can down the road. I am not an attorney, but it just might not be time to ask for the dismissal of this suit yet. That may very well later down the road. Again, not an attorney, but just my .02.

The question begs to be asked, so how does Lindsey and Carpenter notify those named in the suit??? Could be impossible. If I was named in the suit, which I am not, I would stay away from the online news sources for a while. That way you would not happen to see any public notice, as Lindsey tried to push yesterday.

tomgahunter 2 years, 4 months ago

If I was a Carpenter, I'd be looking for a new lawyer.

UGAFan 2 years, 4 months ago

If I was Lindsey, I would tell them to drop the case and get some thick skin.

clandress 2 years, 4 months ago

This is all so very pointless. Even if the judge decides to subpoena the IP addresses from the Citizen (which would be a travesty) there are numerous cases that have upheld a landmark Illinois District court’s ruling; that an IP address does not equal a person. (See ruling here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/92229567/Judge-Gary-Brown-IP-Address-Ruling ). It’s terrible that local tax payers will have to foot the administrative court costs to humor this woman’s delusions of grandeur. Citizens and parents of Newton should not have to worry about whether or not an anonymous person “said something mean” about their children’s principal; and if her focus will be on personal vengeance or shaping the minds of our children. I would expect to see a strong minded and thick-skinned personality in a position as important as that. All I foresee is a future legal liability and a stack of other frivolous lawsuits we’ll all have to foot the bill for.

HonestAbe 2 years, 4 months ago

Amen Amen Amen. If any of her family or friends are reading these comments please convince her to drop this because it is a no win for her, the school system and the county. Sometimes it is better to do what is better for other than for yourself.

tomgahunter 2 years, 4 months ago

@Romulus... I wish I could write as well as you, your last 2 paragraphs are the perfect plan of action but it won't happen & the school system will spend the next 2 years being drug through the mud.

Del 2 years, 4 months ago

It appears LaQuinta is going down and taking the NCSS with her and Ms. Lindsey.....really??? And you are running for a judgeship. !!!!

AWOL 2 years, 4 months ago

It is shocking to me that NCSS has stayed so quiet on this. I cannot believe they haven't addressed it officially. this Principal is making them look terrible and they are hurting themselves by letting her run wild with this case. I lose respect for them every day they let go by without making this stop.

amp72 2 years, 4 months ago

Our Founding Fathers intended for this to be a participatory democracy. Since Ms. Lindsey received an education today on how to properly conduct a motions hearing then I would submit that she also needs to get an education on American history and perhaps read the Constitution tonight. In a participatory democracy a free exchange of ideas and opinions is vital. Think back to before we had the Internet, when people gathered for town hall meetings. There were probably quite a few unpleasant things said against public officials or people in positions of power. In England, one would find oneself in the Tower of London. This is one of many reasons why we fought a war, to give people the right to express themselves without fear of reprisal.

In NY Times v Sullivan the Court said, "Thus, we consider this case against the background of a profound national commitment to the principle that debate on public issues should be uninhibited, robust, and wide-open, and that it may well include vehement, caustic, and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials. And "erroneous statement is inevitable in free debate" and that punishing critics of public officials for any factual errors would chill speech about matters of public interest." In other words Dr. Carpenter, it comes with the territory. People in this community are upset with the lack of control at the school (as evidenced by numerous eyewitness accounts and newspaper articles), the lack of academic progress, and in general your performance as leader of this school. When taxpayers invest heavily in your salary, taxpayers demand results and they have that right for which they have paid hard-earned money.

I would still like to see someone force Lindsey to prove libel/defamation in this case. Carpenter has not lost money or her job, her reputation was in question before all of this (and her actions since then have not helped), and I see no egregious statements. Just people offering opinions on job performance questions raised by multiple newspaper articles. I could argue in front of a judge that someone vandalized my car, and at some point the judge would likely ask to see evidence of said vandalism. At some point perhaps a judge will stop this charade and say enough. Hurt feelings do not constitute libel.

This drama will unfortunately drag on and on, throughout the school year, and it will distract everyone from what is really important. And why? Personal vendettas and revenge. This is not about libel or defamation. This is about finding out who had the nerve to question someone who feels beyond reproach and it is an insult to us all.

AWOL 2 years, 4 months ago

Shorten it up. I am not reading this long comment.

amp72 2 years, 4 months ago

This landmark case in Delaware provides good background on this and established precedent for other cases similar to it. Once again Ms. Lindsey, I suggest you take copious notes:

Truckermother 2 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if Stephanie Lindsey found herself in the bottom of a bag could she argue her way out of it?

AWOL 2 years, 4 months ago

She would start calling witnesses even though it was not the day of the trial. The paper bag would then remind her of the correct courtroom procedures and make her look like she doesn't know what she is doing. SO no she could not argue her way out of a paper bag.

John 2 years, 4 months ago

How did that Cher song go "And the beat goes on..."? This saga is better than watching the Kardashians. As an old, but very true, saying goes "Perception is reality." How we are perceived is through our actions and/or non actions and very often how others perceive us are much different than how we view ourselves. If we don't like how others perceive us, it is up to the individual to change through actions and/or non actions.

billyp66 2 years, 4 months ago

I have been reading alot about this. I do not have a child in Newton County Schools anymore, but this is so sad. I complained numerous times about my daughter's prinicpal and her teachers when she was in school and never did get sued. When you work in a pubic situation you should expect people to say very negative things about you. Not everyone will like you, and thats part of life. I have work for years and I know people said awful mean things and even had my feelings hurt some, but I never did sue and just carry on with life. I hope this doesnt drag on and on and I hope this doesnt hurt our kids in the schools. Kids did read and they will know about this when school starts back in August and I just wonder how it will go. We still have freedoms in this country and I do hope and pray these freedoms never go away. Thank you for letting me voice my opinion and I am waiting for my supeona.

HonestAbe 2 years, 4 months ago

After reading this can anyone say in good faith that Lindsey is qualified to be a judge?

Billy 2 years, 4 months ago

We have very low quality people in admin positions in the NCSS. If your children go there, and you can't afford to send them to a school of excellence, I feel sorry for you. The public schools are full of people who don't care about the children or values, only about careers, money, and empty, meritless adulation, as if it was deserved or could be bullied or bought. "A good name is to be chosen above great riches." I bet none of you public education "cheerleaders" has the slightest clue where that quote comes from. Regardless of your ignorance on this point, not to mention many others, it's as true as the day is long... You can sue, sue, sue, honey, but everyone knows all about you now and there isn't one thing you can do about it. Your lawsuit will ultimately fail and backfire. "What ever you sow, you shall reap." Yet another subject of research for spiritually ignorant public school admins... This person will be gone in a short time, unfortunately to another public school system, far away from here such that they will have no knowledge of, and difficulty finding out about, this case, but at least she will be someone else's problem. Good riddance--and take your cheap lawyer with you...

Calisweetheart 2 years, 4 months ago

Did I hear right that she wanted to put her witnesses on the stand with no proper legal work?  And this person wants to sit on our benches in Newton County?  And did I hear right she has not even served defendant she claims is involved?  Why not after 3 weeks.  Does this freak of court nature understand that there is a process?

AmazedByStupidity 2 years, 4 months ago

I guess someone was absent the day they taught procedure in law school...

UGAFan 2 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if the State Bar Assocation of Georgia would like to be informed that one of their lawyers does not know proper courtroom procedures.

CadyJackson 2 years, 4 months ago

I guess she never saw My Cousin Vinny either.

Sundance 2 years, 4 months ago

It seems that Stephanie Lindsey either does not know how the court works in these types of cases or is trying to get around the rules. This article made it seem like she was trying to start the trial process in this hearing by calling witnesses and bringing evidence. Does she not know the difference between a hearing and a trial? If she is that obtuse, I would hate to see her presiding over a courtroom. Does anyone know where she got her degree in law?This is my opinion of a candidate and public figure. I do not intend this maliciously and am basing all my opinions on facts in this article.

tomgahunter 2 years, 4 months ago

"completed her law studies at John Marshall Law School in two years. In 2000, Stephanie R. Lindsey began her law career by forming the law firm, The Lindsey Firm, P.C. The Lindsey Firm, P.C. began with a practice concentration in commercial transaction litigation and negotiation"

Frustrated 2 years, 4 months ago

What I found interesting, and quite amusing, is the fact she is the coach for the Newton County High Mock Trial Team. You would think she would know court procedures before she coached high school students in mock trial procedure.

Frustrated 2 years, 4 months ago

Lindsey trying to bring witnesses in a motion hearing is nothing more than a fishing expedition. They dont have the evidence to prove her case so they are trying to get it by sidestepping the legal process and have someone else do their job for them. If this is th eway LIndsey handles a case as an attorney, can you imagine what she would be like handling cases as judge?

mrbill 2 years, 4 months ago

"I don't understand why we're fighting the inevitable," she said. "There's no need to come back if we get the evidence today." This is code for, "I'm too lazy to do my due diligence." In my opinion, this is a very concerning sample of work ethic for a judicial candidate.

FishyFishy 2 years, 4 months ago

Just a word of advice, don't ping her website. They can catch your ip address and you may find yourself being questioned to see if you are one of the anonymous bloggers.

Back to lurking...

dennistay53 2 years, 4 months ago

My opinion. The longer this case stays active the more and longer lasting negative affect it has on the Newton County School System and Newton County and it's public as a whole. This is being talked about all over the county and surrounding area as well. The plaintiff should be satisfied with the stress and time they have already put on the posters, courts, and general public, accept the rights of the first amendments and ga anti slapp code 9-11-11-1 and dismiss this case. They should not do it next week or next month but do it today. If they decide to continue than some legal organization, such as the ACLU or any local attorney who believes in the first amendent should step forward to represent them free of charge so this case can be decided short term.

Jugsapoppin 2 years, 4 months ago

If you only connect one computer to the Internet, that computer can use the address from your ISP. Many homes today, though, use routers to share a single Internet connection between multiple computers. Wireless routers have become especially popular in recent years, avoiding the need to run network cables between rooms. If you use a router to share an Internet connection, the router gets the IP address issued directly from the ISP. Then, it creates and manages a subnet for all the computers connected to that router.4

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm so glad my name was pronounced correctly in court and that Mrs Lindsey said no offense to me. I just love media coverage.

AWOL 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes we know. Part of me dislikes that you are on the right side of this argument. You seem to be enjoying this too much. Students and families are suffering and it is a sad time for this school system because this principal is being allowed to drag it into the muck. But you seem to love the muck. Your comments seem vengeful and personal and not for the good of the community. You are not to be trusted in my opinion.

FishyFishy 2 years, 4 months ago

MmmmHmmm. I have an unbiased opinion. I am only seeing one side of the "story" here, but I thought there may be some credibility until the supposed threats....I find the alleged note from Sunday night a little far-fetched and I question the validity of the visit and phone calls because of it. Just a hunch and my own humble opinion.

Frustrated 2 years, 4 months ago

if Shannon is making all this up then she would be runnng the risk of criminal charges herself for making a false report. Do you honestly think she would run that risk just to make a point? I know people make false reports all the time but they usually end up in jail themselves. I dont know her but I dont think Shannon is that dumb.

FishyFishy 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if she is making it up. I'm just pointing out that something is fishy. Why is she the only one allegedly being threatened? Mr. Meadors is also a known defendant, is he receiving these threats? Who is dumb enough to leave a handwritten note on a car in the middle of the night when patrols were already being beefed up around Shannon's house from the other alleged threats? Who is dumb enough to carry a threatening note to the Sheriff's office without first trying to preserve evidence? This whole thing has become rather comical or crazy.

AWOL 2 years, 4 months ago

I truly think this principal is messed up. She seems terrible and I would not want my kids at her school. But all of you regulars(esp. Satan69) are really sounding petty. I am starting to wonder how much truth there is to what you keep claiming. There was a very wise post on here where a lawyer said to save it all for court. He was right and you guys are showing a serious lack of wisdom.

amp72 2 years, 4 months ago

It sounds petty to you because of your perspective. But to the teachers, parents, and students whose voices have been ignored or who have been bullied by people in positions of power it does not seem petty. It's four years of frustration coming out because there has been no avenue for airing grievances.

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

you know you are right i will tone it down but what i am stating is true but yes AWOL i will tone down and thank you for reminding me about the children.

StephanieLindsey 2 years, 3 months ago

You have been named as a party in the below referenced civil action. You can obtain a copy of the Complaint, Amended Complaint, Motions and other Notices by sending a representative to the Clerk of Superior Court located at 1132 Usher Street, Covington, Georgia 30014. A transcript of the hearing that took place on June 19, 2012 is also available. The transcript must be purchased directly from the court reporter. The Clerk of Court can provide you the court reporter's contact information. It may be to your detriment to rely on any other source regarding the details of the June 19, 2012 hearing. The transcript will be the best source to obtain accurate information.

RE: LaQuanda Carpenter v. John Doe 1 aka "MsLoy", et al.
    Superior Court of Newton County; Civil Action No.:  2012-895-1

A Subpoena was served upon the Newton Citizen requesting the disclosure of your identity. Pursuant to the Subpoena for the Production of Evidence served upon the Newton Citizen, we are seeking the following documents and information:

1.  All information and documents sufficient to identify the names, addresses and telephone numbers associated with the following blogger User IDs registered with the Newton Citizen: "MsLoy", "bluedeyeddevil", "avidreader", "spdracer90", "GwinnettTransplant", "amp72", "newtoncountyparent", "watermelonlover", "beautifulblueeyes", "Satan69" and "KBeet".
2.  Documents reproducing all text of all "comments" posted or published by each blogger identified in Request No. 1 above from January 1, 2011 to the present.
3.  Documents reproducing all server logs, IP address logs, account information, account access records, and application or registration forms related to each blogger identified in Request No. 1 above.
4.  Documents reproducing all e-mails, correspondence, or other material between you and the bloggers identified in Request No. 1.

NOTICE #1 has been posted by Stephanie R. Lindsey, Attorney for Plaintiff.

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

Remember Lindsey- By your belief noone has the right to free speech. So why the h are YOU posting here? Go find a life.

AWOL 2 years, 3 months ago

DO we all get to post requests on these articles and use this forum to help with our personal business? If I am looking for help painting my garage or looking for work can I just use this forums as free advertising for my personal cause? Or is it just Mrs Lindsey and Mrs Carpenter because they are special?

StephanieLindsey 2 years, 3 months ago

RE: LaQuanda Carpenter v. John Doe 1 aka "MsLoy", et al.
    Superior Court of Newton County; Civil Action No.:  2012-895-1

NOTICE #1 has been posted by Stephanie R. Lindsey, Attorney for Plaintiff.

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

Clerk of court to busy counting her passport fees

CadyJackson 2 years, 3 months ago

How is anyone to know this is really posted by Stephanie Lindsey, and not someone posing as Stephanie Lindsey? There is no seal of authority that proclaims this anywhere.

StephanieLindsey 2 years, 3 months ago

**By Order of the Court, the following Notice is given to bloggers "MsLoy", "bluedeyeddevil", "amp72", "newtoncountyparent", "watermelonlover", "beautifulblueeyes", "Satan69" and "KBeet"**

The Newton Citizen has filed a Motion to Quash the Subpoena served upon it. There will be a hearing set to further address the Motion to Quash. The date of the hearing will be published on this Comment Board. You have a right to hire an attorney to represent your interest in this matter. Should you choose to hire an attorney, he or she can represent you without your identity being disclosed.

Depositions of Dr. Gary Mathews, Almond Turner, Shakila Henderson-Baker, Abigail Coggin, Eddie Johnson and Shannon Black will be taken in this matter. If you choose to hire an attorney, your attorney can be present at all of the depositions. These depositions will be conducted before the motion hearing date. Again, his or her presence at the depositions will not jeopardize your anonymity.

NOTICE #2 has been posted by Stephanie R. Lindsey, Attorney for Plaintiff.

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

Lindsey and the GANG of 6 NCSS vs Shannon Black and all Internet posters

Billy 2 years, 3 months ago

As they said in Slaughter House Five: "and so it goes..."

Frustrated 2 years, 3 months ago

And just how is she supposed to prove the defendants in the lawsuit have read this notice? I really dont think this rises to the level of legal notice.

UGAFan 2 years, 3 months ago

We should all hit the "SUGGEST REMOVAL" button!!!!!!

ShannonBlack 2 years, 3 months ago

@honestabe you know it seems to be that the gang is trying to scare people and that's all fine and dandy however when you have nothing to hide and you are telling these people who you are the scare tactics don't work. I am here saying to everyone right here right now there is nothing to run or hide from I am Being harassed have been since I came forward I have all the documentation I need and let it keep coming cause the more I have the better. Im still here and I'm still standing and I will be here as still standing when court is over. If they thought I was going to back down they were sadly mistaken.

Bring court on it's fine with me even If I'm the only one who is up there no worries.

Billy 2 years, 3 months ago

Shan, I'd sue the buttocks off the complaint filer. She has no case; you DO have one for harassment of your First Amendment rights. Forgiveness is the best option, but I wouldn't blame anyone for getting a lawyer, maybe one will do it just to combat this threat to free speech, and seeing if she can take it as well as she and the "lawyer" can dish it out. Godspeed to you and the others falsely accused...

mopussiolitalakaronafranchise 2 years, 3 months ago

Amen Ms Black,

Stand your ground. Noone backing down here. Good luck too you!!!! I will be there when court in session and you get on the stand. Stand up for free speech we seem to have a particular person running for judgeship who doesn't believe in free speech and wanted to try to slam you and others on the stand but the judge wouldn't allow it. What??????

MamaTurd 2 years, 3 months ago

@honestabe your right but to me it sounds more like NCSS vs Shannon Black because she is the only one who has come out and i hardly think these others will come forward. Even though it was her choice to do so. I think that since the threats and all they should really reconsider. Just my opinion. It just seems to me that theydon't care about the threats.

ShannonBlack 2 years, 3 months ago

It may end up NCSS against me, I guess it is what it is because if i were still invisible do you honestly think I would come out after the things that have happened to me? Absolutley not, and well I wouldn't make it easy either. It is ok Im prepared for whatever happens. I just know that people running for judge need to support speech not shoot it down every chance they get over matters of opinion. To put it frankly Public figures aren't liked a vast majority of the time but they don't sue everyone for speaking out how they feel. It is either you deal with it or you don't.

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

m still invisible can you see me? I can but i won't make it easy to find me. You know why? It is my right to have opinion just because some think it isn't that means nothing. So what will come of me? Ms Black I need legal counsel what do I do?

Zo 2 years, 3 months ago

Attorney Lindsey, Please do the same post for the Rockdale Citizen. The same virtual hood people hang out in both the Rockdale & Newton Citizen. I'm so glad you have taken a fight to these folks who hide behind these fake names making racial, baseless, & bias statements. Whatcha going to do virtual hood crew Lindsey is looking for you?

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

Maybe try and get her some real lawyer training ?

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

Now u can go back under your rock Zo

TheRealStephanieLindsey 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey yall..... Yeah, about the other posts.. I am just kidding. Don't mind them!!!! haha

(LEGAL DISCLAIMER: In no way am I trying to assume, pretend, act, or identifty myself as the attorney Stephanie Lindsey, and any comment posted under the name THEREALSTEPHANIELINDSEY is purely for entertainment value only)

ShannonBlack 2 years, 3 months ago

hey Zo Im not hiding I am who I said I am. I haven't seen or heard such a mess you know it's funny you call people the virtual hood crew. Cause to my knowledge this so called crew hasnt said anything about race, why is it that everytime you get on this forum you start spewing race stuff? Who does that? It seems your a little to infatuated with that you think. Yeah Mrs Lindsey post the same thing on the Rockdale citizen web site case the virtual crew might strike there too.

I have already come forward months ago do sorry to disappoint but I'm not hiding and anything that I have to say can and will be said by myself.

Have a nice day

ShannonBlack 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you Billy. I have a couple different things I may be doing we will see.

carefulshawty 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm with you Zo i think these people are racist and bias too. I wish they wouldn't post ms blacks posts on here cause they are nothing but outrageous lies I support Mrs Lindsey and Mrs Carpenter both. I know them both personally so. Not everyone is against them. I really think people should back off a little and make peace with the fact they got caught as now it time to pay for what they have done. Face the consequences.

TheRealStephanieLindsey 2 years, 3 months ago

I do not know you...so you can not claim to know me.

Frustrated 2 years, 3 months ago

Well I see Lindsey has possibly two votes. And the temperature has gone up again since Zo and shawty are blowing hot air again.

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

No they live in Conyers ghetto. She's not running there. Back to 0 votes.

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't know about you frustrated but doesn't shawty and Zo sound a little threatening ? I don't know what exactly that is supposed to prove. You all need to take it easy.

carefulshawty 2 years, 3 months ago

@The real Mrs Lindsey what are you sorry for girl these people are the ones that need to be sorry especially one in particular. I think that one situation could be possibly be straightened out soon. Im just so tired of reading all this BS on here about my friends and all these people making it worse. Mouth of he south Ms Black and her crew. Let see how this works this time just be patient. @honestabe Im from the hood get it right.@Satan69 this is an open forum right so myself and Zo can say what we want. Besides you all talk all day why cant we?

AceWalsh 2 years, 3 months ago

@Shawty hey man do you remember me funny to see you on here stirring up trouble.

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

@shawty yeah man you can say whatever you want to on here your right it is an open forum. So don't be a hypocrite about it when we are voicing opinion about lindsey and carpenter same thing right? Looks like another buddy of yours had joined the mix huh? Great. Anybody like to add anything. I need to know something why if you are friends of Lindsey and Carpenter why would they even allow you to say anything because this is about freedom of speech and education not some dirty free for all and to gang up on ms black and others. Wow this has really taken a bad turn.

Iknowddatsright 2 years, 3 months ago

What is happening here people, where exactly had the focus gone? I really want to find out shawty what exactly is your intention cause you are sounding so threatening and I can't figure out your game. @ the real Stephanie Lindsey why are you so upset these people know you and they are sticking up for you. I'm very confused on what games all of you are playing? Come on people. What is truly going on?

Frustrated 2 years, 3 months ago

Satan I just consider the source. Besides, when I was growing up my parents taught me not to take advantage of the less fortunate and the uneducated. I think Zo and shawty are major contributors to global warming.

Zo 2 years, 3 months ago

@Careful if we get one more to argree with our perspective then we'll be considered a group trying to take over the paper. Lol, Listen, I understand some folks don't like the advancement of other people, especially Blacks, however making racial, baseless, hateful, etc speech against someone with no merit is a BIG NO NO. So accept the rules & keep it moving. Complain all you want, but in a civil manner.

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

@Zo the only racial remarks i can find are coming from you.

bartsimpson 2 years, 3 months ago

Zo and carefulshawty, your remarks seem racist to me. Think about it, no one else has mentioned race in this blog. For what it's worth, I'm black!

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

The latest charade by Mr. Eddie Johnson and the BOE against Mr. Jeff Meadors and his columns in the Newton Citizen is another prime example of how things are out of control.  There is no doubt whose fingerprints are all over this, especially considering the column Johnson is upset about mentions "friends and family."  Please take note of the comments in the newspaper supporting Mr. Meadors and his dedication to our schools and the comments against Johnson and the Carpenters.  It is time for a change and the citizens of this county are ready to act!  An illegal meeting to chastise Mr. Meadors for "picking on" the Carpenters is the last straw!

Zo 2 years, 3 months ago

Think Bart..u didn't read today is Friday, but u know it. THINK

bartsimpson 2 years, 3 months ago

Zo, these are anonymous posts. If anyone wanted to make racial remarks, they would. You are the one making this a racial issue. On behalf of black citizens, please stop! It is truly demeaning to us and sets us back years in our persuit of equality. Stick to the issues. The issue is not race. The issues revolve around leadership which is color blind.

Zo 2 years, 3 months ago

"Set us back", dude don't go there.We out front that's what all this drama is about two successful Blacks in LEADERSHIP. Peace. FYI, if it was about leadership it would be more than one principal in the news. It's always that 1.

bartsimpson 2 years, 3 months ago

Zo, would you have the slightest concern if this were a white principal?If this were a white principal would you claim the lawsuit was racially motivated? Would you take the same side? It is about leadership. Leadership laced in nepotism and a leader suing other elected leaders. It so happens that this principal is black and has chosen her actions. Get off the race card and quit blaming other races for problems. I don't see where the race of any of these commentor's has been disclosed so how can you say they're racist? It seems a useless attempt to try to open your eyes to this truth. You have convinced yourself that this matter is racial so I refuse to argue the point with you any longer.

Zo 2 years, 3 months ago

Nope, I wouldn't give a crap. Again, I'm only here when I see racial, baseless, and/or insults pertaining to Blacks.

Right off, "nepotism" is the culture of this society. It's hard for you to understand that the guy next to you is not as smart as you, but his dad owns the company. It's ONLY an issue now because Dr. & Dr. Carpenter are BLACK. Again, pull same standards for ALL Newton County schools if Dr. Carpenter the ONLY school with issues..Ill be on her first thing in the morning. So, when you realize she's not the only principal then you will be like, "Zo was right". I want to see you first thing in the morning on them!

Furthermore. both of their postions are BOE issue not Dr & Dr Carpenter's issue.

StephanieLindsey 2 years, 3 months ago

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery. However, please do not use my name in your user id or moniker. If you are insistent on continuing to use my name, please place your legal disclaimer with every single post. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Attorney Stephanie R. Lindsey

dennistay53 2 years, 3 months ago

Since you choose to talk to us can you please tell us why you continue to represent this case while running for Judge? Also can you please tell us why you are different from the posters who are being sued since you are a poster now yourself? This is my real name.

dennistay53 2 years, 3 months ago

As a candidate every time you put one of your signs out you are using your first amendment rights, even though what you put on it may not be true. Everytime you talk in a candidate forum, what you or other candidate are using your first amendment rights, even though what you say about each other may not be true. Whhy do you think what is being said on these postings are different than what candidates say in public? Candidates and families are hurt by some of what is said about them. Do you think they have the right to sue?

AWOL 2 years, 3 months ago

If this is really Ms Lindsey, please answer this question. What is your position on free speech and how does this case affect it? It concerns us voters that you are helping someone sue people for expressing their opinion. It is one of our basic rights from the constitution. Can we not express dissatisfaction with the performance of public figures?

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation in informing your possible constituents.

Sundance 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope this case works out soon. It is getting old. You guys are way too emotionally wrapped up in it in my opinion. Leaders with good sense would have not let it get this out of hand. You guys have stepped on a hornets nest that happens to be protected by the constitution.

Disclaimer: I am in no way the real Sundance Kid of western lore. I have never robbed a train or bank and look nothing like Robert Redford. Long live Tawana Brawley, OJ simpson, and Laquanda Carpenter! And You know this Man!!! Go ALcovy!

TheRealStephanieLindsey 2 years, 3 months ago

Oh, please do not confuse imitation with what I am doing. It is anything but trying to flatter you. Just consider me the court jester here to provide comic relief!

mgh1966 2 years, 3 months ago

what are you going to do differant than Judge Ott

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

Really so now freedom of speech is ok because an attorney is present!!! Ok now that everyone is on the same page why are we being sued for opinion and fact? And why are people now on here talkin about others being racist I think I need to sue them. I have never seen such a crock in all my life this goes far beyond what it original intent was and now as everyone sits and nit picks about this suit and what's libel and what isn't then the children suffer and the school system falls apart. Wow that's great round of applause on that people.

MamaTurd 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey Steph now that you have joined us good buddy.  IS the lawsuit really about Dennis L. Carpenter?  He's referred to all over it.  Isn't this about Dennis?  Are you misusing the court system?  Is this a personal vendetta?  Isn't it true that Matthews planned to removed HR from Dennis Carpenter on May 8th?  Tell us now that you are here.

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

Legal disclaimer- In no way am i Abraham Lincoln the 16th President of the United States. I do try to be honest all the time but may slip up every now and then. My name is ABE. Any comment i may say about Mrs Lindsey is my opinion and i believe i have every right to do so with her being a candidate for office (Public figure) and her having the right to rebutt in this forum which she has activity become a member of by her postings. I have this right, as does she and everyone else, under the 1st amendent of the US Constitution.

StephanieLindsey 2 years, 3 months ago

As a candidate for Superior Court Judge, I have made myself available to answer questions from the citizens in our community. It is important for the community to know as much as they can about the candidates running for office. While I don't think this is the proper forum, I will answer your question because I am a person of my word.

CAVEAT: I understand that nothing that I say is going to change the views of most of the individuals on this blog.

I have always been an advocate for justice. As many have learned in the course of this matter, this case has nothing to do with free speech. At the end of the day, I am not a politician and I will not act like a politician. To refuse to take this case, would mean that I am putting myself and my agenda before others. I will not let the fact that I am running for judge change who I am or my commitment to fairness and justice.

I will not address another question in this blog. However, any future questions can be addressed to me through the messaging form here. I will respond to the questions privately.

Attorney Stephanie R. Lindsey

dennistay53 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you for replying to at least one of my questions. Of course i do totally disagree with you as to this being a first amendment case. i believe this case to be a text book example of attack on the first amendment.

AWOL 2 years, 3 months ago

I respect the strength and conviction in this response and am impressed with your fortitude in this difficult case.Those are very desirable qualities to have in a judge in my view. I truly hope you are not a good candidate who got tricked into wasting your strength and conviction and desire for justice on someone who is just using you and your expertise as a tool for revenge because they cannot face the natural consequences of doing a bad job. This case seems to have very little real merit but if you think does, Good luck. I truly mean it.

amp72 2 years, 3 months ago

I have looked at many of the court documents, and many of the ones that have originated from Mrs. Lindsey's office. I have a question, that I hope (but doubt) she will answer. Why do many of the documents make mention of Dr. Mathews and Dr. Dennis Carpenter? I thought Laquanda Carpenter was your client. So if this is an NCSS case, then why is the BOE attorney not the one handling it? This has truly become a mess that not even the attorney can keep straight. What exactly is your goal? And please show us where your client has suffered libelous damages because of these expressions of opinion before you continue on with this charade.

HonestAbe 2 years, 3 months ago

You want get any answers from her. She's using this forum only for her good and her suer mentality. She can't answer your questions because it would despose her in a way that would be negative to her side.

Disclaimer- I am not President Abraham Lincoln

Satan69 2 years, 3 months ago

I go by Satan as my husband says I can  be a real witch so I play Satan at home but I am not the real Satan of biblical times.  I do sometimes feel like I live in hell especially on 110 degree days like this one.  I wonder how hot it is getting at LaQuanda Brown Carpenter's.  Disclaimer:  I am not the real Satan who can send you to the bad place but I do enjoy self proclaimed blogging in the wee hours of the morning before the crack of dawn.

Tatersalad 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey Steph I heard that the school board attorney called you an ambulance chaser - are you going to add him to the suit?

MamaTurd 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey Peeps  LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School has  put Covington on the national maps:  http://www.tollfree800legal.com/news/latest-law-news.cfm?Next-News-ID=22330511&start=51

SharonBlock 2 years, 3 months ago

Look what is out peeps:  Good Morning, I am in receipt of an email communication that occurred between Dr. Mathews, Dr. D. Carpenter, and Chairman Johnson and this is my response to that email communication.    I respectfully submit this email to all that are included.   It is my desire to be included on emails from “Mike, Mike.” Please continue to share such emails.   However, in regards to emails that target my family, such as the one on yesterday that referred to “The Carpenters,” it is my desire that those be shared with Dennis Carpenter only as he is the head of our home.   I am very concerned with the emails from “Mike, Mike,” because they have all shared information about AHS (and not completely accurate).  As I have communicated earlier, I have worked extremely hard over the course of my career to ensure that I am proud of my name and the organizations in which I have been assigned to work. It is obvious that “Mike Mike” has an agenda that includes tearing down the positive reputation that AHS has built.   In addition, the recent email targets my family. I am especially concerned because the content of yesterday’s email refers to ‘an illegal meeting to chastise Mr. Meadors for “picking on” the Carpenters is the last straw.’ Before yesterday’s email was sent I was concerned that the “Mike Mike” person is someone within AHS which would really be disturbing because I am aware of the passion that many of my teachers feel for AHS.  However, yesterday’s email lends me to believe differently.   I am sure that we all take the communications from the “Mike Mike” emails and the blogs seriously because they are communicating negatively not only about AHS

SharonBlock 2 years, 3 months ago

Dear AMP72:  i gree witcha.  What is this about?  What laws are  broken?  IS this the husband Dennis Landon Carpenter or is it LaQuanda  Brown Carpenter who is suing?  Looks like she is  teaching online  now.  Good place for her:   Laquanda Brown Carpenter

College of Education - Grand Canyon Online University Course(s) Approved:

EDU-576 - Philosophical and Social Issues in Education EED-544 - Prescriptive Reading and Assessment EED-570 - Curriculum, Assessment, and Methods: Social Studies RDG-511 - Corrective Reading Assessment TCH-536 - Classroom Engagement & Management Education

2002 - Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership - Argosy University - Sarasota Campus (ONLINE DEGREE) 2000 - Master of Education - Mercer University-Atlanta

TheRealStephanieLindsey 2 years, 3 months ago

I am officially retiring.... Its been real.

gsm7476 2 years, 3 months ago

(LEGAL DISCLAIMER: In no way am I trying to assume, pretend, act, or identifty myself as myself and any comment posted under the name myself is purely for entertainment value only)

CBSfinder 2 years, 3 months ago

I just read the article in the "OTHER" paper.  Boy that paper is dying to get in on this.  Mr. Dockery is one among MANY upset and angry teachers at AHS.  TONS have left.  We support him.  He is an A PLUS teacher - cream of the crop.   This stupid lawsuit loses steam and interest.  ANyone who fights the violations of LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School gets slapped with cease, desist, lawsuit.  COWARD.

MamaTurd 2 years, 3 months ago

You know I used to like LaQuandrea.  I did not trust her but sort of liked her.  I never liked her husband especially after what I learned about Kiwanis.  It is too bad that she nor he can get jobs anywhere.  They need to be moved to faraway jobs like him an asst princip at some bldg and her the same position at some other.

Blog entries