Meadors awaits guidance from attorneys

COVINGTON -- Newton County Board of Education Vice Chair Jeff Meadors said he has not been informed if he has to follow any special protocol while on the board since being named in a school system employee's lawsuit.

On Friday, Alcovy High School Principal LaQuanda Carpenter added Meadors to her lawsuit against eight other "John Does" who commented negatively about her on the Newton Citizen website.

She claims that Meadors was slanderous and malicious in making false statements about her profession to expose her to public hatred, alleging that he made comments on the Citizen website under pseudonyms or gave information obtained through his capacity as a board member to others who made the comments.

Meadors has denied the claims.

Newton County School System Superintendent Gary Mathews said Tuesday that he is not aware of any necessity for Meadors to recuse himself regarding matters related to Carpenter or Alcovy High School at this time, but has deferred the matter to school board attorney Kent Campbell for further guidance. Meadors said Tuesday that he has had no correspondence from Campbell since the May 15 school board meeting, and Campbell did not respond to the Citizen as of press time Tuesday.

Mathews said any recommendations related to Carpenter's husband, Dr. Dennis Carpenter, who is deputy superintendent of operations at NCSS, have come from Mathews during his tenure.

"I have insisted on this separation as the result of the marital relationship," Mathews said Tuesday.

Additionally, Mathews said he now makes all personnel recommendations to the board, and Carpenter has not been involved at executive sessions for personnel for the past several weeks at the request of Mathews.

"I believe such is in everyone's best interest for now," Mathews said.

Meadors said he plans to continue to conduct himself in a professional manner and represent the voters who elected him and continue to support him.

"I will fight to the finish and if the electorate of District 1 is fed up with me after the next two years or sends me packing, then I will go my way," he said. "But until that time, I will fight like a dog for student achievement and will not lie down and roll over for anyone tossing lies about me into litigation."

Meadors said Tuesday that he has contacted an attorney.

Comments

amp72 1 year, 10 months ago

Go Mr. Meadors! Fight the good fight. They have no proof this man did anything wrong. Why? Because he didn't! Keep fishing Laquanda.

Frustrated 1 year, 10 months ago

Carpenter and Lindsey are using the tactic of "lets name everybody we can and hope someone ends up on the short end of the rope". This is a common tactic in civil suits, "name everyone and hope we get someone" It seems like Carpenter is out to hurt anyone and everyone she can. In my opinion she is guilty of what she is accusing the people of doing.

Silverbullet 1 year, 10 months ago

Meadows is technically a "Whistle Blower" and it seems that under the United States Code is offered certain protection for his actions against prosecution, persecution and lawsuits. Again, "Malicious or negative" comments, if proven, do not provide grounds for a lawsuit, at least not one that can be won. The first case in the courts concerning the First Amendment Rights was built around a newspaper's comments which constituted 'libelous remarks'. It was 124 years after the time of the signing of the Constitution and The Bill of RIghts. Had this Federal Court ruled otherwise, then it would have become case law that no person could speak or print malicious or negative comments about another. But this groundbreaking decision ruled that in the event the remarks were not, in fact, groundless, then the case was totally without merit.

Silverbullet 1 year, 10 months ago

After careful analysis of the entire scenario, it seems the only law broken is the alleged illegal closed session meeting during a meeting of the Newton County School Board. I certainly am no expert, but the facts are the facts and the law is the law.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 10 months ago

Before anything dramatic happens I hope that people take a look into what is happening. I have looked and looked but I can't see anything that Jeff meadors has done wrong. Now I have come forward and said that I was certain identities and just because others haven't come out yet doesn't mean you point fingers at people's articles and accuse him if doing things he isn't. Now if I have to I will gladly take the stand and do what I have to cause I have infact made comments. However I know that innocent people don't need to be bothered with insane accusations and trying to ruin careers.

Satan69 1 year, 10 months ago

So I think it's about time I tell everyone who I am so that certain individuals don't have to go to court unnecessarily. I think it's in the best interest of some that this happen do tomorrow I'm contacting the paper and letting them know who I am. Also no worries Mr Meadors it will all be clear soon and you keep on writing and fighting and standing up for the students because that's what they need is someone to keep the focus on them unlike all this other nonsense that doesn't apply. Thanks for everything you do and thanks for the articles. We are all behind you 100 %

AmazedByStupidity 1 year, 10 months ago

At this point I don't think it will matter if you come forward. CarpenterShawty and her illiterate pal already have their 2 brain cells made up on who you are.

Unstableone 1 year, 10 months ago

I know this man and he hasn't done a thing. He works and works and is constantly with the student body whether at the college of the high schools he is probably one of the nicest people most genuine people around. If he is wrong he will tell u he is. However he will say what is on his mind. That doesn't make him suspect number one because of him and the carpenters not seeing eye to eye everyone is entitled to an opinion. That doesn't make anyone wrong or right. Lets be honest here people this has turned into a fishing expedition. The problem is you have for the wrong one.

No worries Jeff this will be over soon and hopefully an apology to go with it.

imontoyou 1 year, 10 months ago

**HI I think this whole thing is Lie i do believe jeff meadors is at fault he needs to own up and take responsibility for his actions quit getting your doo boys to make you look good enough said i believe dont think money will buy you out of this one

Teedoffparent 1 year, 10 months ago

Frustrated I have to agree with you and it has become a finger pointing expedition I really think there isnt any libel in any of it, I do think that playing the blame game needs to stop. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty but the way it looks we are all guilty until proven innocent what a shame. Well we will see what happens on June 19 th I wonder how ms black will be affected by this. I hope everything works out for her as well.

Romulus 1 year, 10 months ago

Queenie Carpenter is beating the bushes, hoping to shake as many loose as she can. In going after Meadors, she hopes some will feel guilty enough to reveal themselves. And then she will punish them.

Meadors was elected. The Carpenters were not. King Carpenter was hired and has since plundered the NCSS as his own personal fiefdom, with his queen by his side. Neither of them, unfortunately, can be voted out.

Only now, with a media circus and the imminent meltdown of our entire school system, does the superintendent FINALLY take steps to separate the conflict of interest. It is too little, too late Dr. Matthews. You bar the door long after the horses have left the barn. Where have you been?!?! You have shown a total lack of leadership in letting this deteriorate to its present state. The sad fact is, is that you will also suffer.

Queen Carpenter should be suspended until the legal matter is settled. And we need tort reform that makes the loser pay, because attorneys are making money from this ridiculous lawsuit. It's hard to believe that any knowledgeable attorney would advise the threats and dragging a school board member into it.

Dr. Laquanda...you are committing professional suicide with this legal kamikaze attack. You have no hope of winning because this is not a monarchy. It is a republic with a constitution. Citizens are free to criticize their government, and in your capacity as an employee of the government, you are subject to public criticism. You take my property taxes, you need to take my opinions and criticism. Its a package deal. If your school does well you get the credit. If it does not, you get the blame.

Dr. Dennis...think about the people you have lied to and hurt and walked over on your way up the rungs of power. Those birds are coming home to roost. Your time of dominance is coming to an end. Are you prepared? Real people have suffered because of your arrogance. Especially our children.

It is that arrogance that drives this lawsuit. Only a supremely arrogant person would think that they can sue others for their opinions and get away with it. Only someone who is used to getting their way through bullying and intimidation would think they could assault our constitutional freedoms and prevail. Mr. Meadors represents the people who voted for him, and he has done nothing but serve the interests of those voters through transparency and openness. The Carpenters, on the other hand, have done nothing but serve themselves. This lawsuit is all about servicing their own pride against the truth.

Thank you Newton Citizen for performing such an important civic function in protecting our first amendment rights. May you continue to be a bane to all those in power who would abuse their power. R.

Frustrated 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow..wish I could have said that. Romulus, you are right on.

Billy 1 year, 10 months ago

It's a frivolous lawsuit, completely without merit. Of course, it will be thrown out. Hopefully, the principal will not be far behind. Court costs should be paid by the principal. She's in for a new career, whether she realizes it or not. And a elected judgeship for her attorney? Yeah, right...

Beautifulblueeyes 1 year, 10 months ago

So if this new amendment says he is writing aginst them then why did husband pass this email all around which was forwarded to our high school to last September.  Do an Open Records on his 9/20/11 emails going out and you will see this text from husband:  Team BOE:   See the link below.  I just took the opportunity to read this article as posted in the Covington News by one of your/our own...Mr. Meadors!  I thought was worth sharing as I believe it to be very well-written and equally as provocative, in terms of challenging our mindsets as educators.    Mr. Meadors:  Good Job!  Good Job!  You have represented our board and community well with this thought-provoking, indigenous piece!   See you all later this evening...dlc   Cc: ELT Members   Here is the link: http://www.covnews.com/section/18/article/23255/

ShannonBlack 1 year, 10 months ago

i hope dennis is ready to defend  his claim that in the article at the other paper that there is not claims of hostile workplace - i have hard evidence from a parent he called from blog trolling and an details on an employee

Calisweetheart 1 year, 10 months ago

You know funny thing.  This is BS bigtime.  I was told by someone running for office that their own community is fed up with the Carpneters.  Their own community if you get me?  They are making their own community look bad and no one understands just make a change and do what should be done get the guy out of human resources totally.

tomgahunter 1 year, 10 months ago

Does the school system pay for Mr. Meadors legal expenses? If not we need to set up a defense fund for him.

Freshvoice2012 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't care who writes about who or who they are. The arrest record and the problems from the paper are enough to demand new leader ship at this school.

mrbill 1 year, 10 months ago

She might consider the remarks made in this column to be ridicule. Watch out Darrell, you may have inadvertently made yourself a target. I hope not.:))

carefulshawty 1 year, 10 months ago

I have to agree imontoyou I do think he is behind all of this and you know what I think that Shannon Black works for him AKA Satan69. She just doesn't know when to stop. He just thinks he can do whatever he wants and talk about people between the lines in his articles and it is supossed to be ok. These two are definately a class act and I have no idea what they are trying to prove but we need to put a stop to it. I hope they burn them on the stand and see what is like to accuse innocent people of things they haven't done.

imontoyou 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed 100% I Think Mrs.Black is indeed (SATAN69) what a name so not appropriate

OnToday 1 year, 10 months ago

It's funny what you guys "think" because I KNOW and I know you're wrong about all of that. Too funny!

imontoyou 1 year, 10 months ago

Well What if i said i in fact know it haha

OnToday 1 year, 10 months ago

It's time to get even more serious about this. I urge all of you to write Letters to the Editor supporting our students, Mr. Meadors, and anyone else who is focused on putting education first and not themselves like those filing silly lawsuits. Please write your letters and send them to: alice.queen@newtoncitizen.com

This principal is trying to protect her own reputation by attacking others' reputations in filing these lawsuits that are not based on merit or evidence and it needs to stop!

JudgeA 1 year, 10 months ago

What I find very funny about this whole thing is why in the world did you wait until almost the last minute to include Mr Meadors? He has been writing articles quite awhile or did you push the lawsuit back to the 19th of June to get his name up there because you finally had figured out that the suit is frivolous and crumbling in front of you. I personally think that this Judge is going to see right through these tactics. I find it a shame that some have such disreguard for others, then you have the ones that are trying to keep the students and teachers in focus and then our fellow board members give no support so the voting and meetings seem pointless when you have no help. What kind of board does that? It burns me up knowing all of this. I would like to say Jeff Meadors you have my support 100%. If you go to court I will be there to support you.

Satan69 1 year, 10 months ago

I can't wait until the 19th i think that this is going to turn out to be a beautiful thing. However I would love to go to court just to be able to talk about what I know. That my friends would would be awesome cause everything would come out then.

Shannonofmanycolors 1 year, 10 months ago

carpenter one and two simply want to sue the system ultimately - who does this crap? by adding him since he has been open about rootting our nepotism who better to toss in so they can affilliate the whole board in to silence s o no one will talk against them and put matthews in a hole then they can sue ncss as they work on her APS job and his phone interview from may 25th

Grantdawg 1 year, 10 months ago

I am a parent of an Alcovy student and a voter. I am willing to provide donations and personal support for anyone running for Newton Board of Education that makes their first priority to remove the Carpenter's from their jobs in this county, and the Superintendent that refuses to remove such a divisive element from our school system. Anyone who would give our schools a black-eye by suing those who would criticize them should not be allowed to keep their jobs.

Please provide me contact information on those currently running for School Board on the platform to remove the Carpenter's from their positions.

carefulshawty 1 year, 10 months ago

Well she maybe and if she is we need to take care of this imontoyou, I think it is a public humiliation that these 2 would conspire together and try to take the Carpenters out. Maybe this was their plan all along with all their lies and deseit. I for one want Meadors gone and his sidekick as well. So lets do the county a favor and get them removed and move forward. Thanks Carpenter follower til the end.

mrbill 1 year, 10 months ago

You really need to get the school secretary to edit your writing before you hit submit. Commas and apostrophes make written expression so much more meaningful.

Henrycounselor 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow with all this chaos I need a counselor. I dont get why everybody is so fixated on wanting to point fingers but I guess when you want to make a point to people then name calling a finger pointing are the next best thing. I think people need to leave Mr Meadors and Ms Black alone she has already come out and said that she is KBeet and MsLoy so what leads you to believe that she is Satan? Let's stop ass-u-ming ok and take a chill pill. Oh and she doesn't work for him either.

WayBack 1 year, 10 months ago

See, you've hit on something that I'm finding fascinating here: a few of you guys have created multiple screen names and are getting the biggest kick out of getting "famous"-- um, y'all, this is small time stuff. It's Newton County. Litttttle tiny place. Dropping hints about who you work for or what meeting you're (not you, Henrycounselor, I guess-- who knows who anyone is-- there are probably just five people with ten screen names each on this whole conversation) sitting in on and what you know and how it will all be "out" sooner or later... you're playing to the same crowd over and over. Aside from a [probably] frivolous lawsuit, who cares who y'all are? In fact, a few of you might seriously want to try to maintain anonymity, especially if you work in education. You're not very good writers. You refuse to use punctuation. Your sentences are often a jumbled mess (especially the ones written by most of the Shannons) of thoughts that sound like they're being frantically pounded out on a desperately abused keyboard in a dark, lonely room. Satan69 (and all of your other screen names), we get it that you want us to believe that you have a job at the county level (you've made "building level" references more than once). We get it that you seem to have the inside scoop on some stuff. We get it that you and Shannon(s) are either the same person, siblings, married, or best friends-- you use the same expressions ("tee-hee" (really?), "wee hours," etc.)-- but you seem to be getting more and more manic in your commentary, and that's a shame. You had my attention at first, and some respect, but your work here has devolved into something else, something...small. You are hurting your cause with so much of what you're writing lately. You sound bizarre and freaked out.

carefulshawty 1 year, 10 months ago

Ontoday how do you know? Do you work for him to do you know them personally? Why defend the true enemies?

OnToday 1 year, 10 months ago

1. I don't work for him
  2. I do know them
  3. I know who is posting comments
  4. All comments are based on facts
  5. This lawsuit and pointing fingers at Meadors is NOT based on fact

Any other questions? My question to you is, why do you defend the people trying to ruin careers?

deathtotaxes 1 year, 10 months ago

I wionder if Baxter has second thoughts about choosing Newton County.

Personalsavior 1 year, 10 months ago

Dear grantdawg

The carpenters are so tightly wound with Johnson and turner they can't see straight. We need to get them out of there first.

Grantdawg 1 year, 10 months ago

Then lets get started. If we have to clean house, then it needs to be done.

OnToday 1 year, 10 months ago

Laquanda, this little "fishing" expedition of yours is quite entertaining. You keep throwing out your net in the wrong end of the lake and it's just making you look worse. Ask yourself this, do you REALLY want the truth to come out? Knowing what I know, you don't.

Personalsavior 1 year, 10 months ago

Lets do this Grandawg what can I do to help you how do I contact you? Lets start cleaning i'm with you so you give me the word and we will get started.

Grantdawg 1 year, 10 months ago

Both Turner and Johnson are up for re-election this year. Ricky Corley (former BOE and county commission member) is running against Johnson. And former Clements principal Franklin Perry. We need to donate, put some signs in our yards, and show up at any election rally's held. Time to get involved!

Personalsavior 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey carefulshawty take it easy and calm down it isn't that serious I promise you. If your not directly affected calm down.

OnToday 1 year, 10 months ago

If anyone has questions as to why teachers don't come forward to file complaints, this should tell you all you need to know. There is almost no protection, and administrators simply give you a bad evaluation and POOF.... you're gone.

Confrused 1 year, 10 months ago

Thank god my child will not be going to any of Newton Counties schools. How does a person who is supposedly not qualified for a job get the boards approval? How is it that the person appointed to this position still have a job? How is it that this person who is unqualified to be a leader in a school come in and has a 4% graduation rate still have a job????? I would like to know why the board has not put the principle and her husband on admin leave pending this case.

Confrused 1 year, 10 months ago