Alcovy principal names school board member in lawsuit

COVINGTON --Alcovy High School Principal LaQuanda Carpenter has added school board Vice Chair Jeff Meadors to her lawsuit against eight other "John Does" who commented negatively about her on the Newton Citizen website.

Carpenter's attorney Stephanie Lindsey filed an amendment Friday to her original suit in Newton County Superior Court.

In the amended complaint, Carpenter claims Meadors was slanderous and malicious in making false statements about her profession to expose her to public hatred, contempt or ridicule.

She alleges that he made comments on the Newton Citizen website under pseudonyms or gave information obtained through his capacity as a board member to others who made the comments.

Carpenter states in the suit that in January 2011, Meadors expressed concerns that she was working in the same system as her spouse, Dr. Dennis Carpenter, who is deputy superintendent of operations at the Newton County School System. After the Newton County Board of Education launched "a detailed analysis ... and whether (their marriage) had any cross over influence involving (Carpenter) and her role in NCSS," the board agreed there was no conflict of interest and the matter was closed, according to the amended complaint.

However, in October 2011, Dennis Carpenter received "several complaints" about a central office employee's job performance not related to his wife or Alcovy High School, according to the amended suit. Dennis Carpenter discussed the complaints with the superintendent, the executive leadership team of NCSS and the employee by email, after which the employee warned him of retaliation.

The lawsuit does not specify any details about that alleged retaliation.

Dennis Carpenter then presented the personnel issue to the school board for assistance. After the handling of the matter, LaQuanda Carpenter alleges in the suit that blog postings began appearing on the Newton Citizen website referencing matters discussed in closed session meetings, the plaintiff and her husband.

She claims in the suit that the defamatory statements initially attacked her husband, and then, "when there was no reaction to the defamatory blog postings about plaintiff's spouse, the postings began attacking plaintiff and the school in which she was principal," reads the complaint.

She claims that the Alcovy High administration has had to divert resources to defend "baseless allegations" made on the Newton Citizen website and that the comments affected staff morale.

In the amended suit, LaQuanda Carpenter alleges that Meadors, who writes a column for the Citizen, uses his column "as a platform to personally post or solicit defamatory statements about (the Carpenters) for the sole purpose of damaging their reputation in the community" and discusses issues that were addressed in confidential executive board sessions.

"I have never written columns with the intent of harming anyone. If the shoe fits, then wear it," Meadors said Monday. "I have no plans to stop writing columns. I have no plans of changing what I currently do."

Carpenter claims that Meadors created the blog IDs "MsLoy," "MissLoy" and "KBeet," among others, on the Citizen website to post defamatory comments; Shannon Black previously admitted she was "MsLoy" and "KBeet." LaQuanda Carpenter also claims that defendant "Satan69" is an employee of Meadors'.

"I am not these blogger names," Meadors said Monday. "I have not posted a comment since the ones I put my name to in late April when the lawsuit came out and the public reaction exploded."

According to the amended complaint, Meadors and the school board attorney were served a cease and desist letter on May 7, and the suit alleges that Meadors continued to make libelous and slanderous comments in public and post defamatory and slanderous comments on the Newton Citizen website after receipt of the letter using newly created blog identities.

"I have not received anything in the mail regarding cease and desist," Meadors said Monday. "I had an email from her in my junk mail box but it was not relevant to any actions made by me."

"Upon information and belief ... defendant Meadors continued his libelous, slanderous and malicious campaign against the plaintiff for the sole purpose of damaging her reputation in the community and to her trade or profession and to expose her to public hatred, contempt and/or ridicule," reads the complaint.

"I will act professionally, as I strive to do always, but it has not been easy being a lone voice wanting to support what I find to be serious concerns that need to be followed up on and investigated," Meadors said. "This should have been handled long ago, so we would not be at this point."

Meadors said he'd rather spend his time talking about student achievement.

"System resources and work day hours have been used on this suit," he said. "It's hogwash."

The original suit named 11 "John Does," and in late April, Lindsey filed a motion to dismiss three of the defendants.

In the suit, Carpenter is seeking to recover punitive damages, court costs and attorney fees, as well as "special damages" suffered as a result of "malicious injuries" to her profession and general damages she has incurred as a result of the defendants' "malicious acts and omissions," both in an amount to be determined by a jury.

A motion hearing to quash a subpoena requesting from the Citizen all information and documents sufficient to identify the names, addresses and telephone numbers associated with those named in the lawsuit is set for 9:30 a.m. June 19 in the Superior Court of Judge Eugene Benton.

Comments

Satan69 2 years, 2 months ago

I am Satan I do not and never have worked for Jeff Meadors I do not know him personally. I have seen him at board meetings and have read his columns. The man is not Satan. You all are really digging for answers now aren't you. I'm sure if you look at little harder you will find out who I am. However I am a woman who works in another county and doesn't live in newton county but have before. Seriously you all should be ashamed blaming him for things he has not done. It is childish and false. I think I may come to the board meeting tomorrow to prove my identity to everyone and it may just have to be that way so this man can be left alone.

Covingtonian 2 years, 2 months ago

Who in their right mind would call themself satan? just saying......

amp72 2 years, 2 months ago

What do you care? You know you can't defend Carpenter and her husband so you have to nitpick someone's screen name. Get over it. Just sayin'....

cpatterson_22 2 years, 2 months ago

After all this, she has no choice but to get a new job in another county cause she is putting a big target on her back, if this doesn't follow her to that county.

amp72 2 years, 2 months ago

When she can't get another job then she'll just blame it on "those meanies who posted bad things on the Internets."

Shannonofmanycolors 2 years, 2 months ago

Well Its not the wee or the crack but i guess the husband has joined the suit i cannot tell but why is this being passed all over the county email where he had high praise for the bd members writings and notice the dates and the ones in the suit - fishy - this is when they are saying he was against them????

MissLoy 2 years, 2 months ago

I am a little sick of the name calling it is become just a little bit childish now. However it's funny how everyone thinks Jeff Meadors is all these people well I'm not Jeff Meadors as a matter of fact I look nothing like the man and I dont think we are the same color and he is a man and I'm not. I'm very upset I agree with Satan I think I need to come to the BOE meeting tomorrow and then it will be clear. I think all of us should come and claim our identities cause I know for sure I don't want an innocent person getting the brunt end of this mess. I will claim my alias and not afraid to and I'm not afraid to come forward and tell anyone who I am. I will come forward so that Jeff Meadors is left alone. He is an important figure in our community and needs to focus on that not this.

ShannonBlack 2 years, 2 months ago

For the last time I created and used MsLoy and KBeet and my real name what is wrong with these people just desperate to involve him?  Is it because he is the only white male on the board or what is it.  No one orally charged me to do ANYTHING.  Shannon L. Black.

Satan69 2 years, 2 months ago

I am very proud to call myself satan. However I'm not the one calling the band director ad threatening him for talking about the Florida trip. Who would that be?

Unstableone 2 years, 2 months ago

I am more concerned about the threats to defendants and the nepotism and the taxpayers money for this stupid law suit. Please get to the bottom of this. I'm not worried who these mysterious bloggers are.

KBeet 2 years, 2 months ago

So I would like to clear something's up so here is my IP address for my home computer 98.345.678.90 that's my house computer. My office is 36.945.249.70 and my vacation house is 12.963.098.24. Now tell me I'm a board member or I work for Jeff Meadors or even know him. I'm Shannon Black always have been always will be. Thanks for your time have a blessed day.

amp72 2 years, 2 months ago

"Attacking." Puh-leeeze. No one is attacking anyone. People have a right to raise concerns in what is the only forum possible considering the circumstances. And it's hilarious that they are going after Jeff Meadors. Reminds me of the the "Hot and Cold" game. You're getting colder....colder...ice cold.....ICE COLD.... YOU'RE FREEZING!!!!!! But keep it up, because it just kills any credibility you might have once had.

ShannonBlack 2 years, 2 months ago

It is time for all of who call me to start writing letters to the editor let's get all this out there by June 19th . The ip think is funny I have three names created on different ips and none of them belong to me. Try figuring that out.

amp72 2 years, 2 months ago

What's funny is Lindsey and her client don't have proof that Meadors posted anything anonymously (because he didn't) so Meadors could have his own lawsuit to file against them for doing the very thing they are upset about in the first place. It it weren't so funny it would be sad.

Billy 2 years, 2 months ago

This principle's lawsuit will be thrown out. No worries about that whatsoever. It's without merit; no judge who's conscious and breathing will allow this worthless suit to progress any further than it has now. It's purpose is to intimidate more than to sue. This is what's wrong with our school system. Worthless people instead of teachers with morals and values teaching our children reading, writing and math and lifelong values. Don't worry about the principal; she will get a job somewhere else eventually, where people are like minded with her. I'd hate to be her on judgment day...

Peggy 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't have children in school in Newton County, for that I am thankful. So, I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems foolish to me for this woman to ADMIT to diverting county funds and time to this lawsuit. I pass by this high school every afternoon and there's a small store on hwy 36 that has had lots of problems with the kids coming in after school and taking things without paying. I was told by one of the workers (so it's hearsay) that they have asked several times for the principal to stop this, to no avail. Just sayin.......

Unstableone 2 years, 2 months ago

Peeps this sounds serious. These threats are going after one person who owned up to two names we hear. This the very reason no IDs should ever be given out to these attackers on free speech. This is criminal.

Call came in on 5/23/2012 at approximately 7:23 a.m
Another call came in today 5/24/12 at approximately 7:40 a.m sent to voicemail that came to us and was listened to by two deputies. There were numerous threats in that particular message which lasted approximately 8.2 minutes. High security demanded by both officers.

More to come.

UGAFan 2 years, 2 months ago

Hopefully there will be a way to investigate and determine the people making these threats and have true justice served.

Yallneedprozac 2 years, 2 months ago

Amp I have to completely agree about how they keep trying to pinpoint Meadors when he hasn't done anything wrong. I think it is a shame that this man wants what is in the best interest of student, teachers and here they are trying to detour him from what he does best. I love his articles they are informative and not in any article does he point a finger or talk nasty about either one of the Carpenters. I just can't see the MO behind this oh wait yes I can THEY HAVE NOTHING!!!! Amp it is definately the hot and cold game and they are completely frozen.. Rock Solid and if this went to trail Meadors would have quite a following and Ms Black would too I believe because those two seem to be the center of attention well I guess they would have to be since the other names were false and planted there trying to start a war. So really they started their own personal war REALLY who does that ? I know but i plead the fifth on that on grounds that it may incriminate me.

tomgahunter 2 years, 2 months ago

Ms Carpenter has to be crazy she has destroyed not only her career but also her husbands. What school board will hire a superintendent with all this baggage.. 1 or both of the Carpenters should resign NOW for the good of the school system

jwm1955 2 years, 2 months ago

It is ashame all the tax payers money being wasted on this lawsuit, when the money should be going for education of children in Newton County, have people become so greedy and selfish that they put themselves before the children. I ask each one of the people involved in this to tell the children how sorry ya'll are for taking away from them. We are suppose to put our children first to get the education that they deserve. Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never harm me. The last I heard the principal is still healthy, none her bones are broke. GROW UP PEOPLE ! PUT THE CHILDREN FIRST!

GrahamDenio 2 years, 2 months ago

Whatever happened to the good ol' days where people put their names next to their statements? It appears to me that this whole ordeal is a tremendous waste of tax payer resources, not to mention the distraction it takes away from what is really important, the children. If the lady is really as bad as everyone says, go to a school board meeting and demand action. It would probably be taken more seriously than an anonymous name on a newspaper forum. FYI, I don't personally know or work for any of the persons in this ordeal. I'm just some who reads about it in the paper over and over again.

amp72 2 years, 2 months ago

How do you know we haven't? If you have been following this whole soap opera you would understand why people don't identify themselves. They can't! Her husband is in charge of hiring and firing. It's quite simple really. If this nepotism didn't exist then none of this would be happening.

Frustrated 2 years, 2 months ago

Its just funny to me that Carpenter and Lindsey continue to put people's names to this lawsuit when some have come forward and identified themselves. You cant have it both ways Ms Carpenter. Either you have proof who wrote the comments or not. Seems like you are just on a witch hunt now, or as we say "lets just sling everything against the wall and see what sticks" Guess thats the tactic Lindsey uses in her profession.

ShannonBlack 2 years, 2 months ago

jwm1955 I have already come out way before all the other finger pointing started and all this got so out of hand. First and foremost it is a ridiculous law suit to start with because if in fact Mrs Carpenter did read any of those comments she herself would she there is nothing defaming or libel for that matter. If anyone needs to apologize its her for making accusations that are false and she needs to apologize to the students she started this law suit so who is wasting taxpayers money? The Carpenters and the last time I checked we were allowed to say what we wanted under any alias we choose as long as it wasn't defaming to anyone. All these statements are matters of opinion only nothing else. About the BOE meeting maybe it would be taken more seriously maybe not, it depends because there have people that have gone in front of the board about this already numerous times please tell me what has been done my friend??????? A law suit thats what. We can sit and say this and say that but its a shame to tell people not to make comments under other names if they so choose. I don't see harm in it and the alias's aren't stopping the focus of the kids or wasting taxpayers money this law suit is.

carefulshawty 2 years, 2 months ago

Someone is going to get hurt if this continues. Is that what it is going to take? People stop all this it will only get worse before it gets better. So they say.... Or should I say thats what I have heard.

amp72 2 years, 2 months ago

The only ones who will get hurt are the ones who are doing something wrong. And that will all come out in the wash. Don't preach to us about stopping all this, contact the people in positions of power who appear to be abusing their power. In my opinion....

Shannonofmanycolors 2 years, 2 months ago

it seems that everybody that comes forward is getting threats of some kind. I know others who have gotten many threats and I think it is getting a little ridiculous over nothing. Some of these threats are a little over the top. I am so sick of this he said she said. Involving innocent people and trying to ruin his career over nothing. I think Jeff Meadors should be left alone and maybe they should read his articles again and see what they were looking at. I can't wait for all this information to come out and be known for the sake of innocent people. I think we should all go to the BOE meeting tonight and just go around the room and say Hi my name is So and so and Im a blogger on the newton citizen website. It would be kind of like an AA meeting. LOL. That would be wonderful. How chaotic would that be the paper would jump on that.

Satan69 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey everyone at the BOE meeting tonight look for a red cape and pitchfork and you can meet me in person hey I may even introduce myself to my so called Boss I have never met. Oh in reference to Jeff Meadors.

bmw28 2 years, 2 months ago

Good Afternoon, at some point in all of this there are children in Newton County that are reading,hearring and taking note of how we as adults handle conflict. Last week we sent over 1200 refreshed mine's out into the world representing Newton County and look how we are responding. Mrs. Carpenter and All bloggers I Apologize to both sides for not being able to simply say (Sorry). We are better than this and at the meeting tonight instead of pointing finger's let's do what best for the children of Newton County.

1alcovyparent 2 years, 2 months ago

Who is really suffering here? THE KIDS!!!! Mrs.Carpenter you should be more worried about the kids of the school and county and stop spending the tax payers money showing out in meetings and court. If you are so wonderful then make us eat our words.

If I had my way you would be sitting in ISS for a month for bullying. Do you even care about our kids are is this all about YOU. In my father's words poop or get off the pot. If you have nothing to hide then let people say what they want too. I am more worried about the kids and Alcovy as a whole. I could care less who is married to who or who is doing what. If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen and let our kids be proud of their school.

Romulus 2 years, 2 months ago

We need tort reform where the loser pays. The Carpenters are seeking damages, but THEY are the ones doing the most damage to their own careers as well as to the reputation of our entire school system!

If Meadors were the problem, he could be voted out. How can we get rid of the Carpenters?

OnToday 2 years, 2 months ago

The best way to get rid of them is for everyone who has been wronged by them comes forward and shares their story. It's too much of a coincidence that so many people have had run-ins with them. The problem is they seem to be made of Teflon but if enough people come out with the truth then there is no way they can put out that many fires. If you or someone you know has a story, they need to share it with Dr. Mathews and the papers.

dustinketchem 2 years, 2 months ago

This is ridiculous. Are you guys adults? If so, you should all be ashamed. This is the kind of people who have joined the public discourse in regards to our board of education? Everyone one of you seem very uneducated and very immature. I removed my child from Newton County Schools due to the poor quality of the School System. We are now proud parents in the Morgan County School System. Newton County deserves better than this.