Carpenter applies for Jacksonville superintendent position

COVINGTON -- A Newton County School System deputy superintendent is one of 30 who applied for a superintendent job in Florida.

Duval County Public Schools in Jacksonville announced last week that 30 people, including Dr. Dennis Carpenter, deputy superintendent for Operations at NCSS, applied for its open position, according to the system's website.

Carpenter submitted an application dated July 17 to McPherson & Jacobson LLC, a Nebraska-based consulting firm handling the search, according to the superintendent search website.

"As a proponent and product of public education ... I would embrace the opportunity to serve as the ultimate advocate for the public school students of Duval County," Carpenter said in his application, which is posted on the site. "I would relish the opportunity to assume the moral responsibility associated with being the primary custodian of the educational well-being of each and every student enrolled.

"My previous working relationships with excellent leaders/mentors, combined with my persona, collaborative leadership skills, professional experiences, awards, professional and community memberships, professional development activities, writing and presentations have provided me with the experience and prior knowledge needed to be a strong candidate for this position," his application states. "Having held every position from paraprofessional to Deputy Superintendent, I have a very in-depth understanding of those micro and macro issues that are prevalent in any school system."

On his resume, Carpenter lists his deputy superintendent position, as well as an adjunct online professorship for Grand Canyon University, as his current employment.

Other applicants come from Florida, the Southeast and several other states around the country.

The Jacksonville system operates 183 schools and serves approximately 125,000 students, compared to about 19,000 in Newton County.

The school board is scheduled to review the applications Aug. 16. The board didn't announce a timeline for choosing finalists or a superintendent.

Earlier this year, Carpenter was one of two finalists for a superintendent position in Mississippi; last year, he was one of three finalists for a superintendent position in Peach County.

He has been with NCSS since February 2008, when he was hired as associate superintendent for Human Resources.

Carpenter would not provide a comment on Monday.

He is the husband of Dr. LaQuanda Carpenter, the principal at Alcovy High School.

Comments

billyp66 2 years, 4 months ago

Here we go again. Let the comments begin. Hopefully Jacksonville hasnt heard anything about what is going on here in Covington.

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

Really Dennis?  What a lie.  Does this include emails to your wife's (or maybe she is yours) lawyer and Eddie Johnson who is a board member?     It is also important to note that what is shared with one BOE member will be shared with a" BOE members

. In my estimation this is the only way the board and superintendent can build trust and support each other. As superintendent

I feel strongly about my responsibility

in terms of modeling transparency and other behaviors that foster honest and open communication.

Truckermother 2 years, 4 months ago

DUVALL COUNTY   I recommend you ask the current Newton County BOE Vice Chair for a recommendation on Carpenter.

Truckermother 2 years, 4 months ago

I am contacting them and asking them to call the Newton BOE Vice Chair for a reference.

Iknowddatsright 2 years, 4 months ago

Guess he was doing this when the stadium lights got left out.

Iknowddatsright 2 years, 4 months ago

Dennis L~Carpenter

, Ed~D~ July 17,2012

Mcl'herson

& Jacobson, L.L.c. 7905 L St.

, Suite 310 Omaha

, Nebraska 68127 "I have ne

ver encountered any children in any group who are not geniuses. There is no mystery on how

to teach them. The first thing you do is to treat them like human beings and the second thing you do is l

ove them." - Dr. Asa Hilliard 2007 To Whom I

t May Concern: Please accept my letter of interest and application for the position of Superintendent of the Duva

l C011nty Pub

lic School System. As a proponent and product of public education, the most imperative civil right in our country,

I would embrace the opportunity to serve as the ultimate advocate for the public school students of Duval County, Florida

. The long term success and short term recovery of the democracy upon which our country was built hinges on the ability of our nation's public schools to teach

all children (including the approx

imately 125,000 enrolled in the Duval County Public School System) to think critically, to excel in all content areas and some fonn(s) of extracurricular activities, and to become

extraordinary readers, authors and orators

Iknowddatsright 2 years, 4 months ago

As

a candidate for the Superintendency in Duval County, Florida, I would relish the opportunity to assume the moral responsibility associated w

in each ofthe 183 schools that make up the Duval County Public School System; while realizing tha

t this task will only be completed successfully through working collaboratively with all school and community stakeholders to de

liver on the very best education we can offer, You wil

l notice, while studying my application packet, that I possess all ofthe prerequisites necessary to continue the traditions of excel

lence that are hallmarks of the Duval County Public School System, while furthe

r enhancing the district in those areas targeted for improvement. My previous working relationships with excellent leaders/me

, awards, professional and community memberships, professional development activities, writings and presentation

s have provided me with the experiences and prior knowledge needed to be a st

rong candidate for this position. Combining this background with capitalizing on the skills and talents of others,

I am confident that through a systemic process of determining what works, what needs to be amended and

what needs to be abandoned, I can use my collaborative and servant leadership skills to forge a

reputation of both academic and extracurricular excellence in the Duval County Public School System, on both the state and national level, Such a reputation would be built on a foundation of et

hical behavior, trust, transparency and service to all the children

, district employees and families of Duval County. Having held every position from paraprofessional to Deputy Superintendent, I have a very in-depth

unders

tanding of those micro and macro issues that are prevalent in any school system. Given this experience, I am c

onfident that my skills and talents will prove to be an asset when dealing with the many DENNIS L. CARPENTER, EO.D.

opportun

ities and challenges that will continue to face the Duval County Public School System in this era of in

creased accountability and financial uncertainty. In addition to my documented expertise in the area of c

urriculum and instruction, I currently lead the human resources, business/finance, procurement, facility construction

, transportation, maintenance and school nutrition functions in a district of 19,500 students, with

a general fund budget of over $145 million. I am confident that my application packet

. will illustrate that I possess the knowledge, skills, aptitude and positive attitude necessary to lead.

a transitioning district, the likes of the Duval County Public School System.

l County Public School System

Newtownqq 2 years, 4 months ago

Thank the Lord there is a school dumb enough to hire Carpenter! I hope the don' find out about the $500,000 mistake!

tomgahunter 2 years, 4 months ago

Please no bad comments on this, if the people in Florida read them they will run away. This is our only hope.

Frustrated 2 years, 4 months ago

I have heard of adding "fluff" to a resume to make it sound better thanit really is but this takes the cake.

OnToday 2 years, 4 months ago

Him filing a lawsuit and hiding behind his wife is much more damaging to his job prospects than anything a reader could post on here. FLA is much more likely to see the real person through actions like that than from anonymous postings. They created all of this stuff. Don't pin it on readers for your inability to get a new job. I'm sure a system like this has heard about a ridiculous lawsuit against parents and a BOE member. Had they ignored it he may have had a shot but not a chance now.

Watermelonlover 2 years, 4 months ago

Well well we have made contact with the affiliates in Jacksonville to make sure they ask the Newton BOE Vice Chair for a reference.  This dude just can't stay focused on the job in Newton no wonder more than 500 THOUSAND dollars gets overlooked and more than 400 THOUSAND before that in bus driver salaries.  Un.  Real.

Littlemissmuffett 2 years, 4 months ago

Yall read this.  Dennis Carpenter and this woman come together if you take one you get them both and we all believe he is the real plaintiff.    http://www.newtoncitizen.com/news/201...

sunshine 2 years, 4 months ago

Lets pray and send recommendations! Simple solution!

Frustrated 2 years, 4 months ago

Dang it...y'all are ruining our chance to get rid of them

OnToday 2 years, 4 months ago

The Duval co school system is smart enough to fully check out each candidate. I am surethey know about the lawsuit. Don't blame blotters for the inability to "get rid of him." Blame him and the BOE.

Littlemissmuffett 2 years, 4 months ago

@ thank you ontoday it isn't our fault and I'm almost positive that duval knows all about this lawsuit as a matter of fact I was told through the grapevine that they did. So it would not be our fault if he doesn't get the job.

MamaTurd 2 years, 4 months ago

Old Dennis needs to take a look at this before he decides to keep applying.  People are tired of what this b oard member in Duval is complaining about   http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2012-06-19/story/duval-school-board-wants-superintendent-justify-administrator-picks

Funbags78 2 years, 4 months ago

I have made sure that I have let all the board members in Duval have been made aware of all of this.

UGAFan 2 years, 4 months ago

Seriously people????!!!!!! You want him gone, but you get on here and bash the guy!!!! You are more stupid than I thought....Shut Up and let them hire him.....your problem would then be solved!!!!

OnToday 2 years, 4 months ago

We're talking about a pretty decent size school system down there. I'm pretty sure they have heard about this lawsuit or will hear about it. The ones who are "more stupid than I thought" are the ones who REALLY believe that anonymous bloggers are affecting this guy's chances at a new job. You guys are starting to sound like him! I would hope Duval Co screens its candidates on their merits and not comments on a Covington, GA newspaper's website.

dennistay53 2 years, 4 months ago

Dear Duval County School System. I highly recommend Mr Carpenter for your open postion. He has done WONDERS ( with the help of the Newton county school board) to make the Newton County School System the envy of school systems all over the country. Maybe he could bring along his own Lawyer. She is an expert in constitutional law as she has demostrated to the citizens of our county and court system. Her political assets would be a plus to you as she almost won a judgeship here. You could not go wrong by hiring the both.

SharonBlock 2 years, 4 months ago

See below and let me know where we are in terms of moving forward. I want this to be a priority and I am

prepared to retain you to assist in this matter. Let me hear from you...dlc

SharonBlock 2 years, 4 months ago

His resume is like something out of National Lampoon.  He has awful word usage.

Freshvoice2012 2 years, 4 months ago

This just floating around from the NCSS board attorney - why is he involved in this?   .Mr.,  dockery, aka “ amp72”, nka bob Thomas, two comments: one, the only liars in this unfortunately mess is YOU .two  As to bob Thomas please refer to last para, page 21 per lastest attachment. As to “amp72 “ the COURT will decide that issue.  In my opinion there is no doubt, you are “amp72”, why the C&D from  s, l.

Tatersalad 2 years, 4 months ago

This is so tiring just when I think these people will go away the paper runs another article about him trying for a nother job he won't get.  What school board in their right mind would hire anyone who sues them using their wife?  Is this why the stadium lights and bus driver pay went overlooked because he is obsessed with blogs and suits and jobs?  Why can't he be out of the paper?  This photo scared my 5 year old.

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

@dennis you know your right I think they both should go him and the lawyer after all they both shining examples of what newton county needs. I just help but wonder what in the world is that man going to do if he did go to Duval to a place where nepotism is frowned upon? Well that would be one for the books wouldn't it? Hahahaha. Some of these commenters are saying you all shouldn't be making comments like that if you want him gone. First it wouldn't be our fault if he didn't get it he was in a mess long before we bloggers ever came around and like someone else pointed out whining isn't going to help. Hahahaha

Let's see how this unfolds shall we?

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree with Silverbullet and Romulus.  Romulus we have missed you.  Nepotism policy just like the one Duval County Public Schools is talking about is needed for this Dennis L. Carpenter of Newton County School System and LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School who reports to her husband on her school budget and hiring and operations.  I mean really WTF?

ShannonBlack 2 years, 4 months ago

Nice thinking Silverbullet and we agree but if you look at school boards like this one the good people leave like the educated ones - think CC Bates - and the cronies stay forever.  Good grocery money I guess.  Educated people won't put up with the crap for long.

gsm7476 2 years, 4 months ago

This Saturday everyone Pray for the students and the teachers and the Parents.

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

Will the real plaintiff please stand up ?  Coward.