Newton Citizen Poll for July 29, 2012

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1101. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office."In response to the Free African American. You are a slave to propaganda. There are people that want you to believe that you once lived in a peaceful little village where the lion and the lamb laid together. That's not the case. The case is that most African leaders by far have always brutalized their own people more than white people have. Black on black crime is nothing new. By reading your response to my post I can tell you're a product of the public school system. Maybe the Atlanta, Clayton or DeKalb public school system. In the days of slavery you would have been known as a straw boss, or a sell out. Right now there is a straw boss in the White House. That was made evident when he didn't show up to address that special interest group called the NAACP. The reason he didn't, in case you haven't figured it out, is because he would have been confronted behind the scenes as to why the unemployment rate for blacks is so high. The Republican candidate did confront that special interest group and if he would not have had to be politically correct he would have told them it's because of education in the black community. In conclusion, there was a responder to my post that wrote that we should start calling ourselves Americans instead of White Americans, or Black Americans. I would have to agree with that poster ... "

"This letter is not intended to put another negative mark against the NCSS but Dr. Dennis Carpenter addressed a group of employees last year concerning their job status, with Michael Barr in attendance. As a result of this meeting, over 20 transportation employees were told they would not have a job the following school year. This group was also told that their performance was not an issue and everyone was considered to be doing a good job. Length of time on the job was the only factor as to who would keep their job. Also, if anyone was needed to fill these positions, their names were on a list for call back. Several were called back within a month and as I understand it, subs were hired during the school year without any consideration to the persons on the call back list. ... These jobs are not high paying but nonetheless important to the employee(s) that were laid off. I prefer to work to drawing unemployment. If performance was not an issue; why was this job posted on the website for new hires? I know the 'buddy system' plays a big part in most hirings or firings in local, state and/or government jobs and if personalities clash then the part is even bigger. I know that it is at any department leader's discretion as to who is hired and fired (or laid off) but ... whatever happened to common courtesy and doing the right thing? Just for the record, in my opinion, Dr. Carpenter's wife reporting to him is a serious conflict of interest and should not be allowed. I hope the Carpenters have health insurance, can pay their bills on time and drive nice vehicles on their combined $200,000/year-plus salaries. Please post this. Thank you in advance."

"I had assumed that the column in the Newton Citizen, called the Newton Citizen Poll, was a compilation of opinions submitted by readers, especially since that is the exact description by the newspaper itself. My husband and I sent three children through the Newton County School System, over a period of 15 years. They all received excellent training and went on to graduate college. I have no up-to-date knowledge regarding the current members of the B.O.E. I do, however, feel that the recent ongoing debacle of lawsuits and veiled threats is totally unprofessional and uncalled for. When I last checked my constitutional rights, all citizens are afforded free speech!"

"Am I wrong about this or is there wide misinformation concerning the law about pedestrians crossing in crosswalks? I think some in the public assume that if they cross the street in a crosswalk oncoming traffic is required to stop. My interpretation of the law is that designated crosswalks that have the sign in the roadway is the only place where vehicles are required to stop when the crosswalk is occupied. I will always yield to pedestrians in the roadway whether they are in a crosswalk or not, but I think that some in the public think that the law mandates that cars stop at all crosswalks that aren't controlled by an electronic traffic device. Brown Street and Clark is an example, a heavily traveled street because of it's proximity to the post office."

Editor's note: Following is the state statute regarding crosswalks: -:- 40-6-91. Right of Way in Crosswalks:

(a) The driver of a vehicle shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling, or when the pedestrian is approaching and is within one lane of the half of the roadway on which the vehicle is traveling or onto which it is turning. For the purposes of this subsection, "half of the roadway" means all traffic lanes carrying traffic in one direction of travel.

Comments

ShannonBlack 2 years, 5 months ago

I guess some do not think free speech is allowed. To each their own however this on going law suit is a poor attempt to show others how childish and childlike they can actually be. On one hand we have people being threatened and treated as if they are criminals because they voice opinion, then we have others just thinking they can do whatever they want just because they running for judgeship well that didn't go to well now did it. Oh my sakes alive bad mouthing another judge umm umm and a highly regarded one at that. It had done one thing and one thing only this shows children we as adults cannot settle things as adults and that some are just as child like in pointing fingers and arguing like high school kids. But the whole thing has turned into a circus and has gone way past the point of just putting it behind us. So the question remains how much longer will this go on? Who knows but I know I'm ready for it to be over with but I can't speak for everyone.

MsLoy 2 years, 5 months ago

If it smells like one it is one.  I enjoyed meeting my BEST teacher buds and this is the place we told you to check.  Document.  If you don't document it didn't happen.  If you are new at Alcovy document, tape record video phone do all you can to protect yourself and join either PAGE or GAE - believe it they know the scoop as do their attorneys and document is the deal.

suerprincipal 2 years, 5 months ago

To the new Alcovy Teachers and the old please remember  this and document  all year long.  Last year some of us had to resort to using tape recorders.  Document every move by the whole Leadership Team.   Also, according to GTDRI:             A notification conference is required anytime a teacher receives written             notification and documentation for each new incident on the GTDRI. The       purpose of the conference is to: • explain the deficient area; • discuss the subject of concern; • clarify action(s) required; and • discuss the time frame for

Henrycounselor 2 years, 5 months ago

From Dennis Carpenter   Team BOE:   See the link below.  I just took the opportunity to read this article as posted in the Covington News by one of your/our own...Mr. Meadors!  I thought was worth sharing as I believe it to be very well-written and equally as provocative, in terms of challenging our mindsets as educators.    Mr. Meadors:  Good Job!  Good Job!  You have represented our board and community well with this thought-provoking, indigenous piece!   See you all later this evening...dlc

ontomorrow 2 years, 5 months ago

A driver shared this with me out of busbarn.  These children do not need to be subjected to 3 and 4 kids per seat as well as changing routes which could lead to children exiting the buses at the wrong stop and endangering their lives. I refuse to understand people not willing to communicate through the proper channels  to keep all parties informed about the children’s bus routes and times for arrival. I realize that this is not a perfect world and there will be mistakes, but I am not willing to chance something happening to my child at the hand of someone else’s laziness. I will await a response from the many names in the contact list, but I do realize some may not read the concern or care to respond due to lack of concern or negligence that has already been displayed.

Beautifulblueeyes 2 years, 5 months ago

Hubby misses 539,000 dollars.  Wife has lowest grad rate.  Are we getting workers or suckers on our tax base.  This is what married couples in the same system get you.  Grad rates:   Ø  AHS:                                         64.71%

Ø  EHS:                                         70.60%

Ø  NHS:                                        66.33%

Wildwomanoftigertown 2 years, 5 months ago

Dennis Carpenter should be careful whining about who leaked what.  His October 2011 emails leaked a lot of "For Your Eyes Only" emails from his boss.

Wildwomanoftigertown 2 years, 5 months ago

I was informed that the school had no knowledge of the change which leads me to believe the bus drivers provided the notes.

Calisweetheart 2 years, 5 months ago

mustardandbiscuit 2 years, 5 months ago

Look here...a duplicate comment by a different named commenter?! The first one was "ontomorrow", this one is "calisweetheart". Looks like somebody is passing around a rehearsed comment, or posting twice under different names? Naw, couldn't be, them there teachers is too smart fer that.

KimberlyD 2 years, 4 months ago

you are so funny!!! you always make me laugh!!!

Satan69 2 years, 5 months ago

It is time for a change on the BOE.  After 16 years what has Turner done for you?  Voted NO this year to Fuhrey for school improvement.  Been wrapped up in the Carpenters like a puppet.  After 16 years he has given you a 64% graduation rate and then said it's not the real rate.  It is time for a change.  He has spent more travel money this year than any other person based on what I have been told  - can you say trips to DC and Savannah?  We need a new BOE member likek PERRY who won't use the GBI jawlin to frighten central office employees

Covingtonian 2 years, 5 months ago

This isn't the first time I have seen identical comments under different names. Let's face it some of these bloggers don't have much of a life and this is there way of getting their fifteen minutes of fame. All of the above commenters with the exception of one have commented on the school system each week in this paper and most of them several times a week. I out of spite was tempted to vote for the very person they want off the board but a vote cannot be wasted to spite someone, especially when there is a well qualified opposing candidate in the race. I guess my alternative will be to skip over the comments of those want to be stars in the future.

Iknowddatsright 2 years, 5 months ago

Aww @ covingtonian and mustardandbisquit you have watched to much sling blade my friend and covingtonian why is it everytime you come on here you have such ugly things to say? Who cares who is who and who cares if someone copied and pasted someone else's comment. Wow maybe these or those people don't have a life maybe they just feel that they want to be heard. You obviously want to be heard with your comments so what makes you two any better then then those they 2 nothing.

Oh a word to the wise don't waste a vote on spite because it was just be false you just basically blew your self out of the water because your intention was to vote for the other guy clearly but hey that's you and nobody wants a spite vote that wouldn't be right just to go along with these so called bloggers that just want 15 minutes of fame. Anyway you both have a fabulous day.

Oh and Covingtonian we all want this over just as much as you do

mustardandbiscuit 2 years, 4 months ago

@Iknowddatsright, are you a teacher?? The following sentence was part of your "run-on rant, above. It makes absolutely NO SENSE?! "so what makes you two any better then then those they 2 nothing." If my child did homework and this sentence was part of it, not only would I have to question the child, I would have to question the competence of the teaching staff. Maybe you need to quit replying hatefully to other people's comments and go do some homework, yourself, missy!!

Peggy 2 years, 5 months ago

This comment has nothing to do with politics, school, or anything much. Just wanted to let everyone know I paid $3.33 a gallon for gas in McDonough last weekend when it's running $3.45 to $3.49 everywhere in Covington. Does make one wonder, doesn't it.

OnToday 2 years, 5 months ago

Again, whine about the commenters but completely ignore the bigger issues of idiocy at the NCSS office.

mustardandbiscuit 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, as if "whining" about the bigger issues is going to change anything, genius?!

OnToday 2 years, 4 months ago

More so than whining about the whiners. Genius.

mustardandbiscuit 2 years, 4 months ago

Brilliant. You know, I don't think you realize it, but, you just wrote your own autobiography with those eight words, Albert.

Romulus 2 years, 4 months ago

I predict that the Newton county school openings are going to become easier and easier over the next few years. This is because they are going to have fewer and fewer students attending as parents flee with their children and their taxes. Please remember the nonsense of our own school board when you vote for the charter school amendment in November. Parents and students need a choice that is free from the political antics of these corrupt officials. Do it for our community, do it for our children. They deserve better.

Silverbullet 2 years, 4 months ago

If the Newton County Board of Education does not have a policy on nepotism it should have. If it does, why wasnt it followed with the Carpenters? That simple, basic business rule would have most likely prevented the problem we now face with this major distraction. I attended a 'seminar' held by the Superintendent several years ago and asked a number of questions. Carpenter was the guy providing the answers. He had not one single answer for any of my objective questions. At that moment I totally wrote him off as being management material. I was told I would get the answers, later. I never did.

gsm7476 2 years, 4 months ago

Just in from our friends at Baxter. It looks like most of there people are looking at Morgan county to buy homes. Guess why BETTER SCHOOLS. Thanks BOE For the Property Vavlues.

Covingtonian 2 years, 4 months ago