Newton Citizen Poll for July 8, 2012

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1101. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"I'm calling about the Alcovy High School Principal Carpenter lawsuit. My word for that would be despicable."

"I would just like to say I want to praise John Roberts for voting for the health care, not because it was Democrat or Republican, but because he thought it was the right thing to do. If more of the people in Congress would vote for what's right instead of Republican or Democrat, this would be a better country. Don't get hung up on Democrat or Republican. Do what's right for the people.

"I called the opinion poll the other week about gas prices being higher in Covington than in some other counties. No one replied to the comment I made, but here's another one for you. Butts county, going down 36, right after you cross the South River at the first store on the right which is Duke's Crossing -- at that store the gas is $3.04.9 for regular and that's out in the middle of nowhere. Covington seems to be a lot higher. I'd like for some of the dealers to make a comment about why we're so much higher in Newton County."

"I have a suggestion for the Alcovy High principal. How about instead of suing commenters, she finds the lowest scoring kids in the school and begins mentoring them for the same amount of time she is spending on this lawsuit. I wonder how much working time she spends thinking and acting on this lawsuit. Let's just say 10 minutes a day. If she spent 10 minutes a day working with a high-risk kid, she could make a difference in our community."

"I do not support MARTA further east nor the T-Splost vote coming up; ... the local county and municipalities can change their list of projects (if they have one) without notice. In this current climate of smoke and mirrors politics, I simply do not trust our politicians. They have not cut spending where I want them cut. Entitlements. When they deeply cut and regulate entitlements, I will then trust them with a little more money."

"I can't get over the fact that a principal of one of our high schools is forgetting what we learn as early as elementary school -- not everyone is going to like you and that's a fact of life. People are not always going to see you in a positive light and everyone has their opinions. I think it's ridiculous to sue someone because they don't like you or have a negative opinion about you. In my opinion, not only are you wasting your own time, you're wasting the court's time as well and quite frankly, I'm getting tired of this nonsense of a lawsuit gracing the cover of our newspaper almost daily. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the subpoena was denied because I think what she was asking violates the first amendment right to free speech. I'm just tired of the people involved getting unnecessary attention for something so childish. Just to be safe, let me go ahead and state that this is all my OPINION. It is not my intent to cause defamation of anyone's character."

"I rarely read the Newton Citizen poll because (I) generally don't understand some of the references the writers are referring to. But the lawsuit about the principal, Ms. Carpenter, on the front page of the Rockdale Citizen months ago caught my attention and interest. I had two grandsons who attended Alcovy, but I don't know much about the school or its woes. What I do know is one grandson had a lot of problems with one of the coaches, and he had some problems with a teacher, assistant principal and they ganged up on him. His mother got involved with it (she is an assistant school principal in another county). I don't know the nuts and bolts of all that went on, who was right or wrong, what I do know was my daughter-in-law backed the administration down to correct themselves and see it her way. With that disclosure in mind, and all the publicity she is causing and seeking, what I now think of the Newton County School System is that it is kinda screwed up. To allow this sort of thing to be aired in public -- with no county or school benefit -- is amazing to me. It makes the school system appear to be dysfunctional, not an ideal place of learning, and unworthy of the public's support. She needs to knock it off! She has destroyed any respect that she may have earned by looking so foolish in the search for her 'tormentors.' And I would like to add, I don't even know what her accusers said about her, but maybe now I'm on the list?"

"It is very scary to me that those speaking in favor of the new healthcare law/tax/whatever, have never researched what it really is going to do to our health care costs. We have a child who is medically fragile and a cancer survivor. I am personally terrified for her under this new law, yet when I was attending a forum for parents of other cancer patients several of those attending applauded the law. For example, 1. We can no longer utilize our HSA to cover our daughter's non-prescription medication, medical needs, etc., that are required due to her condition. (Previously we could). 2. We cannot begin to deduct from our taxes what we spend out of pocket (not including insurance premiums) until we pay 10% of our income for medical costs (formerly 7.5%). 3. Our insurance premiums have gone up (saying a lot since we have paid as much as $1,600 a month) and with the increase came a detailed letter stating our costs went up to cover the costs of everyone else's policies who are not paying and for the "free" services now required even though we don't use them and never will. 4. The "free" preventative services such as colonoscopy, mammogram, etc. are only "free" until they find something and then you owe 100% for that service. Yes, we had that happen last year. 5. You may be able to keep your current insurance plan, but costs will rise AND did you notice President Obama didn't say you would have the same coverage? Yes, benefits are expected to go down on that same policy. Some insurance companies are already dropping doctors off of the their lists and forcing you into large doc in box HMO offices. 6. Did you notice children can stay on your insurance policy until 26? (Really? Let's just say 'get a job.') BUT that is only if they are healthy. If they have a pre-existing (condition) they can be removed from your policy at 19. (Nice, especially since our policy used to cover our child until they were 21 and now they can be removed earlier). Our family has chosen to pay higher premiums for coverage that best fits our family's needs. No, it isn't easy and we have to make sacrifices. But, things are not free and it is about time Americans take responsibility and stop looking for handouts."

"Thank you to the firefighters from Department 2 that cleared the tree that was blocking the entire road this last week during the storm. Your timing was perfect since it was blocking almost the entire road and a driveway. We appreciate your expertise and heavy lifting."

"Lindsey says that the Alcovy lawsuit isn't a free speech issue. She sounds like a very smart person but I can't just be expected to believe that out of hand. I would like to know what kind of case it is. People thought they were allowed to say their opinions and Dr. Carpenter disagrees. Sounds like there is a question about whether it is OK to say what they did. That makes it a free speech issue in my book. If there is proof that there is a subversive group that is out to get Carpenter and purposefully made up lies about her to get her fired, I will fall on the side of Lindsey. But truthfully, a good principal would have ignored it and kept trying to do better. Even an inexperienced principal with a good attitude would have just kept on going and not raised this storm."

"If this can be a post, I would like some information on these lizards I see around our home. Ones with a red head about 6 inches in length and small ones, I guess babies, that have white stripes with a bright blue tail. I wonder if these will bite and are they poison or am I being overly afraid of them? Didn't know who I could call on this so thanks in advance."

(Editor's Note: The Newton County Extension Service number is 770-784-2010 and the Rockdale County Extension Service is 779-278-7373. Someone at one of those numbers should be able to help you.)

Comments

Unstableone 2 years, 2 months ago

Poor Dennis little baby boy you would love to  know who I am huh?   Love,   Charming1976

CBSfinder 2 years, 2 months ago

CBSfinder 2 years, 2 months ago

Why is HE emailing Alcovy administrators?  He is not  their principal? And this is a work  time we are paying for?   From:  Dennis Carpenter" car:penter.dennis@newton.kl2.ga.us

To:

""LaQuanda Carpenter"

"Ch1is Haymore"

haymore.chris@newton.k12.ga.us "Veronica Lawrence"

"Troy Davis"

davis.troy@newton.kl2.ga.us "Richard Howard"

howard.richard@newton.kl2.ga.us Date:

3/12/2012 10:50:07 AM

Subject:

Team AHS Administration:

Emailing: Newton Citizen

Student allegedly attacked in Alcovyclassroom I thought it appropriate to

share the article below, as it appears that some of the bloggers may be wanting to orchestrate a concerted

effort to bash you all at tomorrow's BOE meeting. Use this information and develop a POA as you see fit...dlc

Student allegedly attacked in Alcovy classroom

Covingtonian 2 years, 2 months ago

To the young man in Newton Plaza on Friday evening in front of Stevie B's and the Radio Shack, I applaud you for trying to do the LORDS work. I figure that with the Salem meeting taking place that you were probably affiliiated in some way with that group., When I declined to take your card, you asked me if I knew the ten commandments and I stated that I did then, you got me more than just a little upset when, you asked me what were they? I got upset because by your asking me that question, you indirectly implied that I was lying. You may or may not recall that I then asked you "how many books were in the bible at which, you looked stunned and as I was walking away I asked how many were in the old testament and how many in the new. You had the gumption to shout something indiscernable to me across the parking lot. You will not make disciples in such away. Use tact and understand not everyone has the time or want to be stopped and tested on their bible knowledge in front of a store or in front of a group of people.

amp72 2 years, 2 months ago

Everybody say hi to Dennis! HI DENNIS!! We know you read these posts all day while you should be working. We know because we read your emails, and they are all time stamped- all during office hours. Shame shame Dennis! Why did you send an email to the AHS administration warning them to be ready for "the bloggers" to bash them at a board meeting after an article about a student being attacked at AHS? Do you send those types of emails to all the other schools? If your wife is such a great principal then why do you have to watch her back for her? Can't she handle her own school, especially when faced by a few bloggers. Oooooooo, those evil bloggers!!!! BOO!

Satan69 2 years, 2 months ago

@Amp, I must do this hi Dennis it is one of the terrible big bad bloggers. You know it's a shame that you all keep such good watch on the comments. Just a quick question are you looking for future comments to fish out or you just that bored that you have to creat a neighborhood watch on the comments? These are all just questions of opinion. After all they are all truthful.

Amp I want to shake your hand and give you a roud of applause that my friend was the best call out I have see in a while. Awesome I'm with you.

I think we may need to call the polling police to see if our comments are libel. Hahahaha

Satan69 2 years, 2 months ago

And hey Amp what about the one to the Cov News editor trying to find out who that Charming person is?   Dennis Carpenter  has been behind the lawsuit for months he has thrown poor LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School under the proverbial bus but no it is more like a SEMI TRUCK   Did you see where he tried to get the uselses board chair to scold a bd member?  HAHAH

livingart 2 years, 2 months ago

Is there an active senior citizens group to exempt us as property owners of the school tax in Newton County ? Please print the information if possible. Thank you

KimberlyD 2 years, 2 months ago

livingart, no there isn't. My grandma lives in a neighboring county and is exempt from paying school taxes. I think anyone that doesn't have children or grandchildren in school should be exempt. I don't have children nor would I ever be able to have children so why should I have to pay school taxes either??

Henrycounselor 2 years, 2 months ago

We still want to know all of the expense spent  by board members from January 1, 2012 to the present day.  Open the records from the budget on what these b oard members have spent on travel in 2012 and let us know please.

MamaTurd 2 years, 2 months ago

Why is Quan using taxpayer work hours to deal with this?  This is public knowledge we pay for the email services as taxpayers.

MamaTurd 2 years, 2 months ago

Well buddies on the blogs of Free Speech you can't argue that saying Alcovy High (AHS) is a failure is libel.  It is true - see current grad rates.  Test score data should be at the DOE site in mid July.   Ø  AHS:                                         64.71%

Ø  EHS:                                         70.60%

Ø  NHS:                                        66.33%

Silverbullet 2 years, 2 months ago

Each year the Newton County School Board should hold a contest for the students' test scores. Whichever principal wins gets to keep their job.

MamaTurd 2 years, 2 months ago

Dear Dennis L. Carpenter of Newton County School System - the REAL plaintiff for his tossed under de bus wife LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School, this is a little message for you honey:

SharonBlock 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey PEEPS this is fun to read over a beer - we got this from the Amici's email party.   Dr. Mathews,   It is very unfortunate that Ms. Black has received threatening phone calls. However, please note that I have not placed any phone call to any person including Ms. Black that has been named in the lawsuit.    Also, please be aware that if any calls have been placed from AHS that I am completely unaware. There have not been any reports made to me about phone calls of this nature coming from AHS. It is concerning that (Teacher X) was in the building on such dates. Although I am in no way accusing him of making such phone calls, it is simply concerning that a person that has stated blatant untruths about my behavior on a school trip was in the building on the dates that Ms. Black references in her letter. Again, please note that I am in no way accusing (Teacher X) of making such calls, I am simply pointing out that the coincidence is concerning to me.   Again, please note that I have not placed any calls to Ms. Black. Nor, have I made any threats to anyone.   Also, please note that there is no such thing as the Carpenter Camp. I have simply secured an attorney. If anything I have felt very alone since this very unfortunate situation began.

Frustrated 2 years, 2 months ago

Carpenter may be telling the truth. Maybe she isnt the one making the threats herself but I bet my bottom dollar she knows who is. Is called plausable deniability.

Satan69 2 years, 2 months ago

Obviously Alcovy leadership has its mind on other things since 2009.  The newest numbers are not available for 2 more week but year before last numbers please note - DROPPED in every area here on national tests.  ACT exams.

CBSfinder 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow 20% MORE Eastside High students are HOPE eligible than Alcovy.  Stop your fu%^&*ing lawsuit and focus on math and HOPE and EOCTs and academics lady.  Dang.

gsm7476 2 years, 2 months ago

well a straw poll at the 2nd dist BBQ we have every 4th of july. Eddie bad news Bubba 125 voters dems and rep not one vote. Yor friend Ernest poll was the same results 2 years ago. Better chech with operations to see if they have another bus driver opening.

gsm7476 2 years, 2 months ago

Test scores and students profromace thats what someone shoud be judged on. The person that is in charge is Garry. the question is why are 2 schools below 70% why have you not done a better job. you have been here 3 years. Do the right thing resign now. and the BOE please do not renew his contract.

gsm7476 2 years, 2 months ago

Report Card on the County

Chairman of the BOC B- District 1 BOC D District 2 BOC B+ District 3 BOC C+ District 4 BOC D District 5 BOC D

BOE Superintend D District 1 C District 2 F District 3 C+ District 4 D District 5 C+

Sheriff A-

Just Ones Opinion Grade them how you see them

hairball 2 years, 2 months ago

One simply solution,EVERYBODY get out and VOTE!!!

AWOL 2 years, 2 months ago

link doesnt work. says page not found

ShannonBlack 2 years, 2 months ago

Is this legal for Stephanie Lindsey to have this sign this close or at Alcovy High School makes me think this lawsuit is purely political as we all thought.  Who wants to join me in a countersuit for defamation?  I am not a public person and I have a case.

Kodaanddylansmom 2 years, 2 months ago

DANG YALL Eastside High's AP pass rate is THIRTY FOUR PERCENT HIGHER than Alcovy.  Woman you do not need to be running no high school.

Kodaanddylansmom 2 years, 2 months ago

Can't you elected people with 16 years with zero to show for it just freaking retire???????  RETIRE!

CBSfinder 2 years, 2 months ago

Based on information and belief and my own eyes I saw Stephanie Lindsey doing her car wreck ambulance chasing panel at the court house yesterday and that his one messed up attorney.  She must have got that degree at the Sonic.  She will never be on a b ench in Newton County.  VOTE the right  way against her.

inthemiddle 2 years, 2 months ago

She got the degree at John Marshall. I haven't looked lately, but about 10 years ago John Marshall's Bar passing rates were so far behind the in-state law schools that you would have believed that the students studied law in a fast food joint somewhere.

comensense1234 2 years, 2 months ago

Look around people. Its obvious that the african american community have a low standards and exspectations of who they support for any office. It's all about the power. You actually thought that Obama really cares about you. Being untruthful, double talking, and changing your views to please your base. The african american community are the ones that have been hit the hardest . You had a good man in Herman Caine, but you rather stand behind The Jessie Jackson's of the world. For the children who over come fatherless homes and graduate high school I comend you.