56-year-old Covington woman killed in Cook Road crash

COVINGTON -- A 56-year-old Covington woman is dead following a crash believed to be alcohol-related in the early morning hours Saturday, according to the Georgia State Patrol.

Troopers report the crash occurred around 2:48 a.m. on Cook Road near Sockwell Road, killing Alison Bell.

"The crash was a head-on collision between a 2003 Ford Ranger that crossed the centerline and hit a 2002 Ford Explorer," said GSP spokesman Gordy Wright.

The Ranger was being driven by a 17-year-old Oxford woman who was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta for treatment. A blood alcohol sample was drawn from the teen and charges are pending against her, Wright said.

The GSP Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team is conducting the follow-up investigation.

Comments

will 2 years, 7 months ago

Pray for the woman who lost her life and her family. If the girl that caused this wreck was drunk she should spend a long long time behind bars. People think it will never happen to them, well it does. Drunk driving ruins life as we know it for all involved.

MeanMrMustard 2 years, 7 months ago

Newton County would do well to patrol this road more often. It's a well known "alternate route" for drunks and a constant speedway.

will 2 years, 7 months ago

You did not put my comment in from yesterday. This paper is selective on the comments when it involves a prominent family from Covington, get real. If this girl was drunk ,which will come out from the bloodwork, she should go to jail for murder. If it was a young girl from a ghetto family you would put all the comments in the comment section or if the woman that was killed was from a prominent family you would put comments in.

CORNBREAD 2 years, 7 months ago

Where or Who did this 17 year old girl get alcohol from. And why was she out at 2:48am. Who is responsible for this?

spdracer90 2 years, 7 months ago

My prayers go out to the family and friends of Ms. Bell. This was such a preventable tragedy--it justs makes me so mad!!! What was a 17 year old doing out at 2:00am in the first place and driving drunk no less. I don't care how "prominent" her family is-- somebody needs to keep tabs on where and what their kids are doing! I hope her family name doesn't lessen her charges and or punishment. Look what is happening to the girl that killed the Atlanta police office while drunk driving--she is sitting in jail without bond!!!! This teenager wanted to drink like an adult--she needs to be charged like an adult!!!!

MeanMrMustard 2 years, 7 months ago

Well...if the accident investigators do a thorough and complete investigation, they will discover where this girl was, hours before the crash. And, if she was somewhere where she was furnished alcohol or allowed to drink, more than one person will suffer charges, or should!

PrezObozo_de_clown 2 years, 3 months ago

I understand from a county employee she had left a party where alcohol was bing served & headed home. I also read or heard I believe her grand father owns the big Covington Ford Dealership.Seems to me the State Patrol would have completed their investigation. I have not read anything in the paper since it happened.Maybe some people in power may wait & see it this will quietly fad away....

nednewton 2 years, 7 months ago

From the article, I read the accident is "believed to be alcohol related." Before everyone assumes the 17 year old is guilty of drunk driving, why don't we wait until the results are confirmed. This assuming guilt without getting all the facts is not helping the situation. And to all those bashing the family for not knowing where their 17 year old is or not approving of her being out at 2:30 in the morning, it's comforting to know YOU never did anything your family wouldn't approve of when you were young. We're all human, people. We all make mistakes. This is a very sad and unfortunate situation and our thoughts and prayers need to be with ALL those affected.

spdracer90 2 years, 7 months ago

This "mistake" cost someone their life!!! There is a family out there that is devastated because of this "mistake". Yes we all are human and we all make mistakes but this -- I don't even know what to call it. I knew as a teenager that I better be home at curfew (way before 2:30am) and better not even think about drinking and driving--if this is indeed the case with this teenager. I just wonder if we will ever hear anymore about this case?? I just keep thinking what if this happened to someone in my family--it is really scary and deeply saddening.

CORNBREAD 2 years, 7 months ago

You better believe if this went the other way, the teen killed in an accident, by the 56 yr old women, it would be all over the news, and in the paper. Yes we are all human, but I agree that at 2:30am, someone should have known where this teenager was. No matter who the family is. Someone did lose a life. And their is no amount of money you can put on the lose of anyone's life, no matter what the age. If the justice system don't get it right. She will have to stand alone before God on day. God Bless both families, espically the ones that lost their love one.