0

Fire destroys home on Settlers Grove Road

COVINGTON -- Newton County Fire Service firefighters were kept busy Wednesday night with four reports of fire, including a cooking fire and a chimney fire. In three of the incidents, things were brought under control before there was any damage. In the fourth, a house was destroyed.

Both the Covington Fire Department and NCFS went to 10119 Settlers Grove Road around midnight and found the left back corner of the house on fire.

"The city and the county joined efforts to extinguish it," said NCFS Investigator Lt. Cydnie Taylor-Ridling. "It was in the attic when they got there and they stopped it. It didn't spread and do any other damage, but there was smoke and water damage."

Taylor said so far her investigation into the fire confirmed what the occupant, a man in his 30s who was renting the house, said happened to cause the fire.

"Although we cannot say specifically, he said he left a candle burning and woke up choking on smoke. He got his dog and left the house," Taylor-Ridling said. "There were no smoke detectors."

She said between the fire, smoke and water, the house and contents were a total loss. Tax records indicate a value of $50,000 on the dwelling, but the renter indicated he had no insurance on the contents, Taylor-Ridling said.