John Douglas says he'll run for Newton Commission

Former State Sen. John Douglas of Newton County.

Former State Sen. John Douglas of Newton County.

COVINGTON -- Former state Sen. John Douglas is planning to re-enter local politics.

In a statement released Thursday and posted on his Facebook page, Douglas announced his intention to seek election to the Newton County Board of Commissioners.

"With the announcement that Commissioner Mort Ewing will not seek reelection to the Newton County Commission in 2012, I am pleased to announce my candidacy as a Republican for the 1st District seat," Douglas stated.

Ewing announced in a letter to members of the Board of Commissioners on Tuesday that he would not seek reelection after his third term expires this year.

"On Dec. 31, 2012, I will complete my 12th year as a district commissioner," Ewing stated in his letter. "I have made every effort to be a team player and to make decisions that were in the best interest of Newton County. My personal goal has always been to represent the citizens of Newton County in good faith as an honest public servant."

Douglas, who retired from the U.S. Army in 1994, has served in public office since 1998, when he was elected to the Newton County Board of Education. He was chairman of the BOE in 2002.

He then won election to the state House of Representatives in 2003 and served until 2005, when he was elected to represent state Senate District 17.

In 2010, he opted not to seek reelection and instead ran for an open seat on the state Public Service Commission. He lost that race to fellow Republican Tim Echols of Winterville.

"With the connections and background I will bring to the commission, my election will provide for the uninterrupted representation for the 1st District," Douglas wrote. "There will be no letup of the hard work and outstanding representation Mort Ewing has provided. There will be no on-the-job training needed for me beginning the day after the election. My years in the House of Representatives and Senate as well as the Newton County school board puts me in a position to call on virtually any state or county leader. That experience will allow me to hit the ground running on day one to represent District 1 as it should be represented."

Douglas stated that he has never voted for any tax increase and remains opposed to property tax increases. He also said he supports the county manager form of government that Newton County recently adopted.

"With Newton County now hosting a population of 100,000, the county manager is the most efficient, productive form of government," he said.

Thirdly, Douglas stated that he supports a land use plan that would not substantively change the 1st District.

"I also strongly support the current 2-acre minimum lot size for the east side of Newton County. When growth does return to our county, it must be managed in a way to ensure there is no negative impact on our quality of life," he said.

Douglas pledged to have an open-door policy with his constituents.

"I will work every day to ensure the residents of the 1st District have access to me as well as others in county government and that we are all responsive to their needs and concerns," he said. "I have taken great pride in being accessible and taking a hands-on approach while in the other elected offices, and I will bring that same work ethic to the commission."

Douglas was born in Albany and has degrees in political science and American studies. He and his wife, Susan, have one daughter, Katherine. They attend Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church.

Comments

Frustrated 2 years, 11 months ago

"I have made every effort to be a team player and to make decisions that were in the best interest of Newton County...who is Mort trying to fool? He did everthing he could to destroy Western Newton County and line his district with the pet projects. I wonder what position he will get when the Cow Palace is built or if he will sell his property to the company that builds it? As for John Douglas...he will be just as bad. Good luck Newton County!

Bemused 2 years, 11 months ago

Dear God! Let's hope the Democrats put up someone who is not crazy because John Douglas would be worse than another term for Mort. Douglas lost Newton County in 2008 when he was running for the senate and the people of 2010 overwhelming told him that he wasn't wanted on the PSC. Maybe you should have taken the voters advice John - don't go away mad...just go away!

Frustrated 2 years, 11 months ago

some people just cant take a hint

RV30015 2 years, 11 months ago

Maybe the Citizen should remind us of his bad acts in Rockdale County a few years back so we know we really do not want him on the commission.

Sarge44 2 years, 11 months ago

someone PLEASE qualify against him - he did not win newton county in the senate race - he did not win PSC - there are times to just go away - far far away - i will vote for anyone else

Frustrated 2 years, 11 months ago

"There will be no letup of the hard work and outstanding representation Mort Ewing has provided." What does that tell you about Mr Douglas?

Hackman 2 years, 11 months ago

I see a lot of people have problems with a Army veteran in office. Lets keep the flag wavers, chicken hawks, and draft dodgers in office. These are people of the highest integrity.

will 2 years, 11 months ago

If Mort is not on the BOC what will his two flunkies do we all know they cannot think for themselves. Mark Patrick please run again.

Del 2 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Douglas' statements are filled with typical political rhetoric.......2 acre lot size in the eastern portion of the county..To little To late Mr. Douglas!!! This is not a Republican or Democrat issue nor does it have anything to do with serving in the military....There needs to be a common sense approach to the issues at task in Newton County...The Good Ole Boy network is alive and well as it has been for 40 years in this county....You can blow a hole through every statement in print about Mr. Douglas......Open Door Policy? What a Joke!!!! Everyone should wake up and do their best to get the most qualified person in that seat

HonestAbe 2 years, 11 months ago

With Mr Douglas holding state office for so many years one would think that hew would understand the Georgia Constitution. I believe the constitution clearly states that it takes a majority of the voters in the county for county form of government to be changed. I believe the 3 county commissioners who voted for this change have done so in violation of the state constitution. For Mr Douglas to agree with these commissioners is shameful, with all his experience in state office. Even if there is a loop hole, as County Attorney Craig thinks (and i disagree) why would you want to take this away from the voters. Do you not trust the voters who put you in office enough to allow them to vote on something as important as changing the county form of government?Why would you want to put this much power in the hands of one unelected individual (county Mgr) without the voters having a chance to voice their opinion with their vote? Even if this change is not unlawful (which i think it is) it is certainly wrong. I believe Mr Douglas should research what was done here before he endorses the change to a county mgr form of government. I'm not against the county mgr form of government as long as it is voted in by the voters. This should not be done with 3 fifths of the county commissioners and urging of one unelected overpayed county attorney. You would think it would at least take all commissioners to vote for it if you are going to skip the voters. I hope the commissioners who voted against this will challenge this change in court because i believe they will win.

livingart 2 years, 11 months ago

Well said - I agree completely with all stated.

Frustrated 2 years, 10 months ago

I agree with you Abe. Something SHOULD be done.