Prep under way for Walmart opening

Walmart employee Tanesha Wiggins of Rockdale stocks swimsuits in the girls' ware section. The store has filled 282 jobs, with a majority of workers living in the Newton County area.

photo

Staff Photos: Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith Employees at the new Walmart on Salem Road are busy preparing for a March 14 opening. Here, Newton resident Paula Jones checks to make sure the store's stock of Campbell's soup is priced correctly.

Comments

Frustrated 2 years, 7 months ago

Let the traffic congestion begin!! Hope they sinc the new traffic light with the other two already in that area.

conyersgirl 2 years, 7 months ago

let the crime wave begin also. its gonna be just like the conyers walmart - thug city. even though its 2 miles from my home, i probably will still end up going to walmart by I20 & bypass road. btw if i do happen to go to this it will be open carry

will 2 years, 7 months ago

Another Walmart another Mcdonalds another Waffle House, can this county get anything other than cheap food and clothing outlets. This county will never advance bringing in fast food and discount stores. We only have one good restaurant in town and that is Treasure Thai. I know we have Longhorn, a chain no big deal and Amicis, it was good at first but has done nothing as of late. Brendales for womens clothing is fine but we have nowhere else to purchase any quality clothing. Our choices are Walmart, Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, Kmart and Bealls Outlet. People leave this county everyday to go to Athens, Atlanta and the area Malls to do 90% of their shopping and eating out because we have no good options here in Newton county.The Chamber of Commerce want people to buy local but they do zero to bring in quality clothing and food options and the city just wants to prop up the welfare suckers in this area buy funding more handout programs such as the redevelopement authority, what a joke. If you want positive growth bring in amenities that will bring people into the area that will bring something to the table not take away from it. We need to bring in educated hard working people that will improve the county, looking around I hope its not too late.

Covingtonian 2 years, 7 months ago

Will where are you from? I'm sure you aren't from around here. If you don't like it here then please feel free to return to wherever you came from.

will 2 years, 7 months ago

Covingtonian, I have lived here all my life and if you are not blind as a bat you will see this county going in the wrong direction. I am tired of seeing this county keep going down down down. The leaders just want to give more and more and not hold people accountable. If you keep catering to unproductive people you will end up with an unproductive county. Look what is walking down the street on a daily basis. The thug low lifes are taking over. Trust me if I could sell my house at a fair price I would be out of here. What does this county have to offer? Good safe schools-NOT AT ALL, Nice stores to shop in- Not, Good restaurants, maybe one or two, how about a movie theater, Not again but had one in the past, Lets see, How about a Bowling Alley, Not here but we had some in the past. Have you been to the Little League fields as of late, still some good people but changing fast and not in a good way. I have a business here and when I talk to other business owners who want to relocate to this area the first thing they ask about is the school system, the workforce to hire from, the shopping, the housing, things to do in the county and the safety. All I can say is you may want to look someplace else because we have nothing to bring people here. So Covingtonian if you do not see this open you eyes and look around I think your must have very low standards.

dennistay53 2 years, 7 months ago

It,s not the people like Will who have lived here all their lives who need to leave the county, it is the ones who brought in all this uncontrolled, unchecked, unorganized growth who we should run out. My family has lived here for over 35 years now and we keep hearing the words POSTIVE GROWTH from our elected officials and county leaders. What is postive growth? I,m not sure there is such a thing as postive growth but if there was i would say that it would be a controlled growth that would bring in jobs that woul lower unemployment rates in the county. It would be controlled growth that does not over tax our infrastructure, and that would be slow enough that the infrastructure would be in place first and would be payed for by the growth and not by increased property tax. Postive growth would add to the tax base wheras to lower individual property tax through lower millage rates and or increased homestead exemptions. Growth as we have had that includes increased crimes, shobby build homes, apartments, duplexes on small lots in not postive growth. Residential growth that comes in faster than job growth is not postive growth. During the past few years our county unemployment rates have gone up -this is not postive growth. When you have to use taxpayer funds to build larger jails, larger court houses, hire more judges due to increased crimes, as this county has had to do to keep up with increasing crime, and have to build more and more schools to help keep up with more and more illegals comimg in- I don't believe that is postive growth. If we are going to have growth in Newton County we need Controlled Growth. I would suggest that all future homes and business locating in Newton County would have to be built on a minimum of 5 acres and have to pay a building fee in advance that would cover the additional infrastructural requirements, and that any business coming to Newton County and being given tax breaks would have to agree to hire on Newton County Citizens when available

spdracer90 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Will 1000%. The schools (except for a few) are terrible, there is no shopping/dining options, recreational areas are a joke, crime is on the rise, and on and on and on. And yes if I could sell my house without losing my shirt I too would be gone! This county is not going in the right direction. I hate to say it but can you imagine how pitiful it would be if the housing market did not crash. We would be overrun with cheap housing in subdivisions where the houses are right on top of each other. And what does substandard housing bring??? It brings people who could care less about their property not to mention their neighbors! We need to look at other successful counties and follow suit. I just hope it is not too late.

John 2 years, 7 months ago

will, Obviously you don't like Newton County but why would having depressed price on your home keep you from moving? Sell yours at a depressed price and go to another area that suits your fancy & buy one at a similarly depressed price as well that way you'll be happier. There are more than just one or two good restaurants in Covington, add to your short list DJ's, Nagoya, Mama Mia's. Covington had Belks for awhile but they choose to close & relocate (possibly because of low sales - their parking lot was never overcrowded); there was a bowling alley here, it moved to another location just down the street in Covington and shortly after closed - guess not a lot of bowlers here. Take a look at the demographics of this county and look at the average incomes of working people - don't really think this will support at "Buckhead" type atmosphere for this county of almost 100K. Or if you really think there is a really large pent up demand for those things you are looking for, be the first to start one up or more of these and seize the opportunity to make some real bucks - heck you are business person.

John 2 years, 7 months ago

Almost forgot, Will, you stated "All I can say is you may want to look someplace else because we have nothing to bring people here." you want every thing to change but obviously do not wish to do your part to make it happen.

Frustrated 2 years, 7 months ago

I for one will be afraid to shop at the new Walmart. But then I forgot, according to the Walmart officials when the rezoning hearings were held, they partol the parking lots during the night and escort their shoppers to their cars if they ask, and have a direct line to the police departments if thye are needed. Well Im sorry but I have never seen any of that from Walmart, and that direct line is the same as anyone else...911. All that was a smokescreen just toget the rezoning approved and make them look good. Just wait and see. Crime will increase in the area, traffic will be a worse nightmare than it is now and the stroes in the area now will be closing soon leaving more empty shopping space that never gets filled.Thank you Walmart!!! (and that last bit was made sarcastically if you didnt notice).

molasses 2 years, 7 months ago

Will, I agree with you 100%. I hope the leadership in this county will realize that if they want business to stay in this county then offer the businesses that the citizens want and need. I have to go to Athens, McDonough, and Snellville to purchase clothing I want. Can you imagine how many jobs would open up locally if we had something like a Tanger Outlet?

John 2 years, 7 months ago

The county only approves businesses to come to this county. The business owners/investors decide where they will locate.

Bemused 2 years, 7 months ago

Higher end businesses won't locate here because we do not have a high enough income/tax base to support it. That's why you have a Dollar Store/Walgreens/Dollar Tree/CVS/Family Dollar/Waffle House on every corner!

We have a fancy pants industrial park with no industries and people have to go to Atlanta to get a job that pays a decent, livable wage.

will 2 years, 7 months ago

Bemused, does section 8 housing and welfare income count towards the income/tax base you mentioned? I have a great idea that will bring productive people to this area not to mention all the industry that will follow- Lets build a multi-million dollar community center in Walkers Bend. If we do that people and industry will follow because they will know we are a brilliantly lead progressive county. Man sometimes I amaze myself with these great ideas