Gingrich coming to Covington

COVINGTON -- Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich will bring his campaign to Covington next week.

Gingrich will speak at a rally at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at Peachtree Academy, located at 14101 U.S. Hwy. 278, the Newton County Republican Party has announced. The rally is open to the public and is expected to last approximately one hour.

"This is the first time that I know of that a presidential campaign has come through Covington," said John Douglas, the 10th Congressional District field representative for Gingrich's Georgia campaign. "We are very honored and looking forward to hosting Newt with our Southern hospitality here in the Hollywood of the South."

The former U.S. House speaker and Georgia native will embark on a two-day bus tour through the state one week before Super Tuesday on March 6. With 76 delegates, Georgia is Super Tuesday's biggest prize. Ten states will vote March 6.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

HonestAbe 2 years, 1 month ago

Newt may lose Ga with Douglas backing him. He sure has lost my family vote.

will 2 years, 1 month ago

People get out and vote obama out of office he is desroying America just look at the debt its unreal. This country can do without this idiot being re-elected. If people vote on color they are ignorant and stupid and should not be allowed to vote. obama will go down as the worst leader this country has ever had. He has done zero to improve the job market just look at all the unemployed on welfare assistance, that is what he wants. He talks about improving the country, where? If you are on welfare you should not be allowed to vote. I do not care who you vote for as long as you do not put this foolish idiot back in office. If he is voted back in you can kiss this countries productive people good-bye. How has his change worked for you, do you have a job yet?

rsd 2 years, 1 month ago

Although I did not vote for Obama in the last election and I will not vote for him in the upcoming election, I must admit that he is a man of his word. Obama promised that if he were given the chance to be President of The United States, he would bring about a lot of "change".
He has fulfilled his promise. Even if you do not agree with or like Newt Gingrich, please attend the rally to let others know that we must work together to remove the current "change agent" who is now residing in the White House.

HonestAbe 2 years, 1 month ago

Didn't say i don't like Newt- Just don't like Douglas. I will never vote for Obama or any other Liberal. The most Conservative Republican right now is probably Rick Sant.

Frustrated 2 years, 1 month ago

Abe I agree with you. If Douglas is backing Newt he is in trouble in this area. But then, this is the "HOLLYWOOD OF THE SOUTH"(?) so I guess anything is possible. Just follow the yellow brick road....

bartsimpson 2 years, 1 month ago

Vote how you see fit too but no need to bash John Douglas. He's no longer in office. Mr Douglas is a good man and is simply supporting a good candidate. Focus your negative comments on getting Osama out of office rather than attacking former local officials.

max0797 2 years, 1 month ago

Someone has got to step forward and run against John Douglas. He is NOT good for this county. I also know that in past local elections John Douglas has looked high and low for any person to run as a Republican candidate against a democrat. Makes me wonder what motivates Mr. Wade to run against Schultz. I thought with Mort Ewing out maybe every elected commissioner would stand up and make their own decisions. The decisions that are best for the county and what the people that elected them wanted. However with John Douglas as a commissioner this county may in time wish Ole' Mort was back.

Frustrated 2 years, 1 month ago

Evidently Bart must be a Douglas famuily member. Do I need to remind you when Douglas tried to get State funds pulled form the City of Conyers simply because he was pulled over by a city officer one night? Do I also need to remind you how he followed city of conyers Officers around and video taped them at traffic stops? Do you also need reminded of how he acused the City of Conyers leaders of campainging aginst him just to make him look bad? I dont think "a good man" would be doing all that if he was an upstanding State Official.

phone 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you, Frustrated. The only thing John Douglas is interested in doing is whatever is good for John Douglas.