Manhunt still on for murder suspect McMullen; suspect is in contact with police

COVINGTON — The search is continuing for the suspect in the shooting death of a woman that occurred on Washington Street Friday morning.

Police have named the suspect as Hannibal Wayne McMullen, 47, of Covington. Police are asking anyone who has information about his whereabouts to call 911.

McMullen has been in contact with police and with family and friends via mobile phone, said Capt. Ken Malcom with the Covington Police Department.

"He's indicated to us and to anyone else he's spoken to that his desire is to turn himself in," Malcom said. "He's wanting to but for whatever reason he can't do it."

Malcom said McMullen seems to be "extremely distraught."

"We're trying to encourage him to turn himself in so we can end the search and move on to the next phase of the case," he said.

Additional officers have been called in to assist with the search, and the Newton County Sheriff's Office, Georgia State Patrol and U.S. Marshal's Service is also involved.

Malcom said McMullen has been in regular contact with family and friends via mobile phone.

"Everybody that has communicated with him has encouraged him to turn himself in," Malcom said.

McMullen is described as a black male, 5'11 and weighing 160 pounds.

McMullen was driving a blue Toyota Corolla with the license plate number BRJ 7930, according to police.

The victim, Ketitra Techelle Jones, 26, of Covington, had a Temporary Protective Order against McMullen, Malcom said. Jones and McMullen were in a romantic relationship that was severed several months ago, he said.

"She was concerned enough for her safety to get a TPO," he said.

McMullen owns a car detailing shop on Clark Street, he said.

Citizens who may come in contact with McMullen are encouraged not to approach him, as he is believed to be armed, but to call 911.

The shooting occurred at 10:51 a.m. Friday on Washington Street near Carroll Street. Witnesses heard several gun shots and saw a gun firing shots through the window of a blue Toyota Corolla into a silver Dodge Ram truck as both vehicles were traveling north, according to police.

The truck then crashed into the support pole of an awning at the Pure gas station on Washington Street.

Rev. James Russell was at the Pure station getting a cup of coffee when he said he heard gunshots and then saw the truck crash into a pole at the gas station.

Russell said he opened the door to the truck and saw Jones slumped over.

"She looked at me and she took her last breath," he said.

Keep checking www.newtoncitizen.com for updates.

Staff Reporter Michelle Floyd contributed to this report.

Comments

amp72 2 years, 7 months ago

This town is completely out of control.

Sarge44 2 years, 7 months ago

TO AMP72 - it is out of control because your asst police chief nominated himself to go to Washington for school board meeting on the taxpayer dole. Oh wait maybe thats a good thing. Vote him out in November.

Covingtonian 2 years, 7 months ago

The news article I read stated that Katrina Young nominated Mr. Turner for the Washington D.C. trip not that he nominated himself. I am not a fan of Mr.Turner but I do believe in getting the facts straight.

will 2 years, 7 months ago

This is what happens when people do not care about other peoples lives. I went down Washington St. after this had happened and the people standing around laughing and staring made me want to throw up. I did not know what had happened until I got home and now i am in shock. The people standing around were all of working age, They must not work because obama is paying for all their needs. My window was down and it was like a party there must have been 150 people just gawking and doing nothing productive. What was most disturbing was the number of young women with two or three kids in tow taking them up to see where this woman was murdered, would a responsible parent want their kids to see something this horrific, never. Never have I seen so many pants down below rear-ends in my life and they want respect. People respect life and do not embrace violence as a culture and most of all respect yourself and let the thug life go.

NoMoreEnabling 2 years, 7 months ago

This is what happens when you enable losers to be losers. I care about other peoples lives but I don't believe in giving handouts. You want help? Take a drug test and IF you pass, you can have this bag of nutritious groceries. Cell phones, tv's, cable, and even a home are privledges not rights! Pull yer britches up and get a job punk! I feel so bad for this young lady and her family. I'm going home and cleaning my guns tonight. I am gun ready if some crazy trys to break into my home to steal or kill! I hope the police catch the culprit quickly!

maryinga 2 years, 7 months ago

It sadens me on how this has become everyday news. Who would have thought that this could and has happened to a small community. People need to start taking charge and become someone other than a number in the system. Stop thinking that you are owed something. Noone owes anyone. We are to be of equal. Stop the crimes. Start educating yourself. Make something of yourself. It has become such an easy life for some people just to collect a check from our government. It wont be there in the future when it's really needed. It's called retirement. God bless this young womans family. Hope this thug is taken off the streets. I'm sure someone knows where he is hiding out.

Covingtonian 2 years, 7 months ago

Will stated "This is what happens when people do not care about other peoples lives" because as he went down the street after this happened people were standing around laughing and staring, it made Will want to throw up. Why? If Will didn't know what had happened until arriving home his wanting to throw up seem to have been purely because he saw about 150 Black people laughing and staring. By the way I saw two state troopers who also were laughing about something during the time I too was on scene, didn't bother me because I didn't have any idea what they were laughing about, could have been about Will. Will's comment also was, "The people standing around were all of working age, They must not work because obama is paying for all their needs". Well I certainly cannot speak for the other 149 but I had worked the 3rd shift the night before and was asleep until a concerned family family member called to check on my welfare because word was spreading, erroneously, like wildfire that a man and woman had "been shot (at Rico's the Pure oil store where the vehicle came to rest). Just a few minutes after the call a news helicopter flew over and proceeded to hoover ( for at least an hour) over the neighborhood making it imposible for me to get back to sleep. By the way will of those people doing nothing productive as you say, many were being sought out and interviewed by the investigating authorities why? Because there are businesses in the area and a nursing home. Also Will you stated all were of working age, then you complain that many of the young women had two or three young kids. Which is it were all of working age or not? What Will didn't know is people came from nearby communities and afar because both people involved were well known and once again that darn helicopter hoovering. Will gives much insight into what was behind the following remark "Never have I seen so many pants down below rear-ends in my life and they want respect." Will, if you haven't noticed, society as a whole is going down the tubes, By the way there are some good over the counter meds for your upset stomach.

will 2 years, 7 months ago

Covingtonian, you did a good job of disecting my comment. I never said anything about race because I am also African American and I am mortified by the way my people act. Believe me there are plenty of every race on the obama hand out wagon. As for your comment about 150 black people laughing and staring that was a nice try to bring race into it, please get real. You are dead on it when you say society as a whole is going down the tubes but that can change. I lead by example I respect others and I dress for success. My kids all have educations and very good jobs they did not get this way without hard work by my wife and myself. We made sure they earned their way through life by having a good work ethic and paying for the finer things in life they felt they wanted. What is sad is their peers always made fun of them and ridiculed them until they went to college and made something of themselves in the work force. Any child that wants to be a success should not have to put up with this from their peers. If you work hard in all you do good things will come. Im sorry if you took what I said the wrong way I just want my people to rise above and shine.

concernedcitizen2012 2 years, 7 months ago

you ask yourself this question. why were there so many people taking there kids there and so many people by standing there. as a responiable parent no way would my kids have been anywhere near that area, for one the killer is still on the loose for two an innocent young lady lost her life their its not a praide not cericus its a tragady not ment to to watched by anyone have a little respect for her family and back the heck off. let the police do their job if you see the killer call the police if you know where he is turn him in give her faimily closure dont make a party out of her death.... RIP ketitra mY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY AND LOVED ONES

antdrewhar 2 years, 7 months ago

My concern is not the people standing around watching, but rather that none of the area schools or preschools were notified. Several of these schools are within blocks of where this incident occured and even closer to where the alleged shooter worked!! If this guy was so dangerous why was every effort not made to protect innocent bystanders--particularly children in the area. Thank goodness for the teachers at my children's preschool who noticed the helicopter hovering and took them inside!