0

Child playing with lighter starts fire

COVINGTON -- A unit of the Covington Housing Authority complex on Nixon Circle was heavily damaged by fire Wednesday morning.

Covington Fire Department Capt. Tony Smith said the fire was caused by a child playing with a cigarette lighter.

"Basically the fire was started by the occupant's 4-year-old daughter," Smith said. "She was playing with a cigarette lighter in the bed and set the bedding on fire."

Smith said the mother and child got out of the residence without injury, but the residents were displaced.

"The juvenile is being referred to our fire safety educator," Smith said.

Smith said firefighters were on the scene for about an hour following the 7:15 a.m. fire call.

"The fire was restricted to the upstairs of the apartment, but it won't be habitable," he said.