Alcovy students suspended after food fights

Photo by Howard Reed

Photo by Howard Reed

COVINGTON -- Several students at Alcovy High School were suspended last week after a number of food fights broke out at the school.

"Last week there were three food fights at AHS," said Sherri Davis-Viniard, director of Public Relations at the Newton County School System, on Monday. "This was the first time that this has occurred at AHS."

She said a fight occurred on Tuesday after a food fight.

"Administrators and (school resource officers) broke up the fight," Viniard said. "No one was hurt. However, there was a rumor that an administrator's nose was broken as a result of the fight."

Additionally, on Wednesday, an administrator was hit with some food, she said.

She said after each food fight, administrators were able to identify some, but not all, of the students involved.

"Consequences ranging from three days (In School Suspension) to five days (Out of School Suspension) were given to students depending on the severity of the student's involvement," Viniard said.

Furthermore, an SRO and an administrator will be placed in the cafeteria and the commons area during all five lunches.

Comments

cousinparamom 2 years, 6 months ago

Get rid of this principal and the husband that hired her they are killing Matthews good work

criltonjohn 2 years, 6 months ago

You are so right about that, maybe that it why so many students are leaving Alcovy for other schools?

spdracer90 2 years, 6 months ago

Agreed! Someone needs to clean house. Our tax dollars hard at work here. A few folks need to be sent packing!!!! Nepotism at its finest.

oside2705 2 years, 6 months ago

Clean house here. The counselor at this school messed my kid up from graduating and I am mad. So I go to the board site to complain and behold a board member is using our tax money to fly Washington with a letter after he cut 8 Million dollars from schoolteachers. Fire him also. Who flies to Wash DC on our dime when we have packed classrooms.

criltonjohn 2 years, 6 months ago

Students are threatening teachers, fighting, stealing and just plain running that school. The employees have no one to go to since on today, the principal's husband would be put in charge of any allegations and investigations! How long would that employee have a job! Ms Floyd, you need to speak with staff (not in administration) and ask about their experiences in the last few months in dealing with student issues and getting support from the Admin. THERE ISN'T ANY!!!

MsLoy 2 years, 6 months ago

WHO is paying for this trip? How much is this trip? Newton Citizen find out about this.

mgh1966 2 years, 6 months ago

On Today we had a food fight. If you canot control the lunch room how can you control the class room. 3days of food fights come on should been stoped the next day and then call the parents to help get under control not wait a week to let the parents know. You want us to be your partners but you dont want us to know what is going on because it looks like you do not know what you are doing. On today do your job!!!!!

RV30015 2 years, 6 months ago

This is the same boe member who whined about dan mulligans travel. Sounds like a true politician who has been around TOO long. Mulligan has helped me teach better.

KBeet 2 years, 6 months ago

Just went to read that release. A joke. At least if we are paying to fly him to DC send a boe member who can write. The principal at AHS has been off campus most of the year took over one week for one funeral. But if you marry the boss you get food fights and a raise.

bigmike 2 years, 6 months ago

Check the video, Citizen. An administrator WAS struck by a student and it is on tape. My friend is an office aide and he saw it, not to mention several people recorded it on there phones. But the PR machine downplays this incident. It has been crazy at AHS lately and has been building for a long time. There is NO control, and the county office makes it sound like a couple of rolls were thrown and no big deal. I wonder why? Could it be the connection between the principal and the associate superintendent? Hmmmm....

mgh1966 2 years, 6 months ago

They dont have too look at the tape big mike go to youtube. When there 1200 students and an open records law there are no secrets.

criltonjohn 2 years, 6 months ago

Just speak to one of the MANY disgruntled teachers! It is not a safe place to work anymore, ask a teacher who is bold enough to tell the truth to you!

Sarge44 2 years, 6 months ago

Taxpayers do deserve to know how much we paid for Turners joyride to deliver a letter cost. A 48 cent stamp would not do? Look back at news articles where he argued against Mulligan staying in hotels outsiide of Newton. I am public safety and i know I how tight budgets are. Does Turner get it?

CLM72 2 years, 6 months ago

Alcovy has been run by the students since the day it opened. Honestly, I am surprised there has not been a major accident or tragedy there yet...but that may be coming. It is a shame that such a beautiful facility is wasted on a bunch of thugs and hooligans.

Da_big_1 2 years, 6 months ago

Wait, wait just WAIT A MINUTE!!!

A food fight happens within the walls of my school...and you blame the principal?!?!! Really?? I thought adults were supposed to be...adults!! You guys complain about this that and the other, but do you know what I think?

I think that the kids need to be held accountable for their actions and that can only be done with help of PARENTS! You guys are pointing the finger at the WRONG people!!! Some of you need to grow a pair and ask yourself "Was my kid involved?" and if he/she was PUNISH THEM TO THE HIGHEST EXTENT YOU CAN! And even if they weren't they may have seen something BUT because of all this "snitches get stitches" bull that these cowardly young adults follow, they aren't doing the right thing and telling the administration who did it so THAT PERSON not the WHOLE GROUP gets the shaft! I know i'm going to make some parents mad by saying this (cuz little Suzie Q. who's failing 4 classes, sleeping around with everybody at the school and getting high every day behind your back is just SO SPECIAL) but some of you parents need to sit back and think about what your children are REALLY doing and hold THEM accountable for THEIR actions. Now most of the young adults I know are really REALLY great kids but there's a crowd of them that act like complete MORONS and screw it up for the rest of us.

Personally, I think those who were involved in the food fight should be expelled from AHS and NEVER be allowed to come back. You guys wanna talk about a waste of taxpayer dollars, how about all the students at AHS who DON'T CARE about their education and are a WASTE of effort, time, space, resources and YOUR TAXPAYER MONEY! JUAT KICK THEM TO THE CURB IF THEY DON'T WANNA BE THERE IT ISN'T THAT HARD!!!

bigmike 2 years, 6 months ago

The principal is responsible for the culture of the school. No she is not responsible for the food fights, but that is NOT the only problem at the school. Truth is she is in over her head and has done nothing to gain control of that school since day one. Of course the parents are accountable too, but the principal is in charge of the school and like it or not when things go bad the principal takes the blame. I see his or her role as that of a head coach of a football team. You can't blame the coach for everything a player does, but you can blame the coach for not taking control of the program and allowing a culture of immaturity, lack of discipline, and lack of pride in one's school. You are CRAZY if you think she has control of the school and that there is not a discipline problem there. Of course there is. That is on her.

Da_big_1 2 years, 6 months ago

She's the principal, yes true. I also agree 1000000000% that she has NO CONTROL over the students whatsoever but there are a few things I disagree with in your statement:

We (as I am a senior at AHS myself) are old enough to think for ourselves for the most part. You can implement rules and such but the students run rampant because, as I said THEY DO NOT CARE. THOSE students are the problem and because of the SCHOOL BOARD'S (not Alcovy's, as Newton and Eastside have virtually the exact same discipline problems; which by the way they aren't exactly the cream of the crop either) discipline policies! Sure you can put your kids in time out and take away their TV but if they won't stop misbehaving that's when you bring out THE BELT. There is a HUUUGE discipline problem at Alcovy but our administration can only do so much because either A) the BOE can fire them if discipline is deemed "too severe" B) Parents will complain and complain and complain some more.

Yes she (and really ALL OF THE OTHER ADMINISTRATORS) does need to be held accountable but the brunt of my school's problems shouldn't be on her; it should be on all the idiotic, immature students and the parents who don't care that they behave that way.Iin my personal opinion, if a student misbehaves in a severe enough manner he/she should be kicked out of school and not be allowed to return NO QUESTIONS ASKED. It would save time and MILLIONS in taxpayer money.

amp72 2 years, 6 months ago

So you admit there is a "HUUUGE discipline problem at Alcovy," yet you say the administration shouldn't be blamed. And like I said in the post below, check the other schools in the area that have the same number of kids and the same general socio-economic makeup (ie parents) and you tell me what the missing link is. The missing link is this "huge" discipline problem that can ONLY be controlled by the administration. Yes I agree many of these kids could use some good parenting and yes I agree the bad ones should be kicked out forever, but I also think that one of the reasons the discipline problem is so "huge" is because of the ineffective policies and reactions of the administration. Kids at AHS don't fear the administration which encourages them to misbehave. It's pretty simple.

mgh1966 2 years, 6 months ago

The problem is the school waited to there was 4 food fights and 7 days to ROBO call the parents.

atoon012 2 years, 6 months ago

All I have to say is that anyone who is jumping on Dr. Carpenter blaming her for everything is dead wrong. First off, it takes more than just one person to take care of a child, it also takes parents. If the parents let there child run amock at home then yes they will do it at school. Yes there has been attempts to remedy this but no she cannot do it alone. Unless you are a student or teacher at AHS you do not know what is truly going on, because yes stories could change from ear to ear. So, instead of dogging her out and keeping her name in your mouth as an insult, help her to accomplish this. In other words, grow up, act like adults, and do what can benefit the next generation as a whole, not just you.

amp72 2 years, 6 months ago

No one is placing the blame all on Dr. Carpenter, but she is the principal and she makes a nice salary and is expected to earn that money by instituting some control at the school. Yes kids will run amock at the school if parents let them but NOT if the administration refuses to allow it. RIght now they do, which is why AHS has so many problems.

mgh1966 2 years, 6 months ago

she was too slow to bring the parents in

amp72 2 years, 6 months ago

For those who may be inclined to defend the administration (specifically the principal at this school), or who may say we should lay the blame on the students and parents, I will just ask you this: do we hear problems like this at Sharp? At Newton? At Eastside? At Heritage, Rockdale, Salem? Name any other school in Walton Co, Henry Co, etc. The answer is no. And this is much more than a handful of immature food fights. This is about the big picture, the other problems at this school that have progressively gotten worse. I have had three family members at Alcovy, 2 there now and one graduated. I have heard the stories. Gang graffiti, blatant disrespect, improper relationships with students and teachers, drugs, smoking on premises, fights almost daily, I could go on. Yes parents and students are responsible, but you are crazy if you think teenagers are going to police themselves, no matter what kind of parenting they get. They will do what they KNOW they will get away with and under this current leadership that is alot. My cousin says they can't have an assembly, or a drama production, or anything anymore because there is too much immaturity. But that's not the problem, the problem is those who screw up do not get punished! In the other newspaper Dr. Carpenter claims there were gang concerns last year but none this year. Oh really?!?!? Then I guess cities like LA, Atlanta, Chicago will all be at her doorstep soon to study how she eliminated gang problems at her school. Please. Everything gets swept under the rug there but that rug is getting smaller. Dr Mathews, we know you read these comments. PLEASE clean house and get someone in there who will control that school so I don't get comments like "Oh, I've heard of Alcovy. That's a rough school" when I talk to people out in the county. And talk to former teachers who have been run out or got out because of Carpenter. Take off your blinders and you will be shocked at what you find.

criltonjohn 2 years, 6 months ago

This is starting to sound like Washington! Say what you all want, the buck stops at the top. You people defending this principal are contradicting yourselves!! You want these trouble makers "thrown out" or "Kicked to the curb", guess who is in charge of doing just that!!!! Zero Tolerance is what is needed over there! No gangs this years? REALLY?????? Please Please Mr Matthews, make it safe in the school again, any other "company" or "corporation" would not tolerate that conflict of interest called "The Carpenters"!

mgh1966 2 years, 6 months ago

Dr M Heritage Rockdale and Salem have the same problems except 1 They all make AYP every year.

Da_big_1 2 years, 6 months ago

AS I said, it's THE BOE, NOT THE ADMINISTRATION!!

Eastside and Newton have the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS! To say they're perfect is RIDICULOUS!

And all of the Rockdale schools have a STRONGER discipline policy thanks to the Rockdale Co. BOE! Take this for example: at all 3 Newton Co. schools, if you are wearing a hat, you are asked politely to take the hat off, in Rockdale, if you are even SEEN with a hat you have it confiscated and your suspended for 3 days NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

And if I was reading right, GANG ISSUES?!?!?!?!!!

YOU'RE KIDDING! WHAT ARE YOU A MEMBER OF EASTSIDE'S PTA FOOTBALL BOOSTER STILL SORE BECAUSE YOU GUYS DIDN'T MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS?? XD XD XD

My school has no such "gangs", we have kids that act like they're in one, but they're not! No student I know has the guts to commit any kind of crime, they just wanna pretend they're bad because society has a standard that education is dumb and is only wasting your time. I do not fear for my life at Alcovy and the teachers are even less fearful. To say Alcovy has gangs totally blowing the whole issue out of proportion! All they ever do is a draw a few little symbols on the bathroom wall, let their pants sag, and listen to explicit rap music. Saying Alcovy has a "gang issue" is like me telling my parents I made a bad grade when it was a B instead of an A. Don't believe me? Ask any of the teachers who have been teaching there for more than a year; all of them would agree with me.

Now I believe we do have disciplinary issues but that's due to the students for acting a fool (and their parents let them act that way) and the BOE for not implementing strict disciplinary policies.Dr. Matthews if you ever read this, implement stricter policies; our county should have ZERO TOLERANCE for this kind of behavior and you need to hit the kids and parents where it would hurt: THEIR WALLETS!

Personally, if I had the power, if a student misbehaves they are given 5 days ISS and the parents MUST pay a $50. "THE SCHOOL HAS NO RIGHT TO TAKE OUR MONEY!" well your child right to infringe on my education either, but they did it anyway.

That's what I would do personally but Dr. Matthews doesn't have to go with my views; speaking of which why don't you ask Dr. Matthews about the students HE has met from Alcovy, I bet $1,000 he would tell you opposite what you think.

amp72 2 years, 6 months ago

You need to get your facts straight before you spout off lies. It's fine to defend your school but get your facts straight. The BOE sets discipline policies but it is up to each individual school's discretion as far as how they want to enforce the policies. Look it up. Want an example? At EHS my neighbor's daughter was suspended for hugging a male student in the halls. At AHS? No such punishment. They look the other way. My cousins and neighbors have seen administrators look the other way after seeing kids smoking in the parking lot, kissing in the halls, bullying etc. Another example, at Indian Creek and Cousins, sagging pants are zip tied and hats and phones are taken up and held until parents come to get them. Does that happen at Alcovy? No it doesn't. Same county, same BOE, Your contention that the BOE is the problem is ridiculous.

As for gang issues, your own principal Dr. Carpenter admitted in another story that there were gang concerns last year but she believes they have suddenly vanished. She said it, not me. And she is crazy if she thinks they suddenly vanished. Another example of her brushing stuff under the rug to portray a positive image. That's all she is concerned about. There may not be gangs like there are in Atlanta or DC or LA, but there IS gang activity and you are clueless if you believe otherwise. Test it out. Wear a red or blue bandana on your head in the parking lot one day and see what happens.

Dr Mathews has met with the cream of the crop from Alcovy. Of course they will tell you all the positive stuff. And the bad kids won't say anything because of the "snitch" mentality.

Want to know what I would do? Move Dr. Carpenter out of that school to another one and put Mr. Burnette (former principal at Sharp) in as principal. The place will be better over night, guaranteed. I know teachers who were at Sharp who loved his no nonsense approach to discipline.

KimberlyD 2 years, 3 months ago

I like the being fined idea...

MsLoy 2 years, 6 months ago

I have heard enough of thiss nepotism with carpenter 1 and 2. Call your boe member and DEMAND that one of them leaves it has gone on too long and is tearing up the system no one will discipline her with his tantrums around

mgh1966 2 years, 6 months ago

Dist 2 is up for this year he will not return emails or phone calls.someone please run. we need someone in both partys to step up.

spdracer90 2 years, 6 months ago

This school sounds like a zoo. Someone needs to clean house and get things under control. According to the comments it sounds like AHS has been a disaster for quite a long time. Why hasn't anything been done about this??? My tax dollars are paying the salary of the people that are supposed to running our school system. As for the unruly children, yes I said children, get yourselves together and act your age. You will soon be out in the cold, cruel world and this type of foolish behavior will not be looked at lightly. I feel terrible for the students who are there to learn and the hardworking teachers that actually care---this is not a safe, productive learning or working environment. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE AND IT STARTS AT THE TOP PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Lucy30016 2 years, 6 months ago

School BOE. Remove or reassign the Carpenters. Our system suffers for 2 people. Public please write the BOE they meet Tuesday at 7 show up and talk.

amp72 2 years, 6 months ago

So far 27 comments on this and we have heard nothing from Dr. Mathews. Where is the leadership? This is about more than a few silly food fights.

spdracer90 2 years, 6 months ago

Not a surprise there!!! Cat got your tongue??

KBeet 2 years, 6 months ago

My bd member has been given the full rundown and 2 are up for reelecting soon. If they don't fix this vote em out.

MsLoy 2 years, 6 months ago

We hear nothing from the board could Citizen poll each bd member since they represent us I want to know they thoughts on nepotism to.

MsLoy 2 years, 6 months ago

It is time to end the NEPOTISM.

EMPLOYED 2 years, 5 months ago

I think Dr. Matthews and Carpenter need to go back where they came from this school because this district has gone down hill since they arrived. It is a disgrace that only 1 out of 3 high schools made AYP and only 2 out of 5 middle schools made AYP in Newton. The closing of Sharp was the biggest mistake they could have made. These children are on the streets all day with nothing to do therefore they are getting into trouble and ending up in our juvenile courts or in jail. Newton County Board of Education has set these children up for failure. Please show me where Newton is saving a million plus dollars by closing Sharp but instead you are paying Ombudsman a million plus to send these students to school for 3 and 4 hours a day plus providing transportation. Where is the savings? Hello tax payers wake up and give this administration the boot.

Henrycounselor 2 years, 5 months ago

ANOTHER bad fight at this school today. It won't end. Fights all the time.

Tatersalad 2 years, 4 months ago

Here is a little song for the Administrtion I think they might like this little song. Take me out to the food fight take me out to Alcovy High, buy me some tasers and happy meals I don't care if the Admin is watching. So its root root for the home team. So it's one, two, three sandwiches your out at the old food fight.

Satan69 2 years, 4 months ago

I read an article on the other papers site about a woman throwing pizza at her boyfriend. Did she graduate from Alcovy High on today?

Littlemissmuffett 2 years, 4 months ago

The forecast for the week is flying pizza, falling melons and speedy tater tots.