Feb. 5 Newton Phone Poll

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or by calling 770-787-7303 ext. 1349. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"If you voted for our current president in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist -- please vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot. Thank you!"

"The IRS sent my tax return back! Again! I guess it was because of my response to the question that asked me to 'List all Dependents?' I replied -- 12 million illegal immigrants, 3 million crack heads, 16 million unemployable people, 42 million people on food stamps, 2 million people in over 243 prisons, half of Mexico, 535 fools in the U.S. House and Senate, and four homeless illegals living in the White House!"

"To whom it may concern and those that think they know best. This is in reference to Alison Campbell's family and to the Crowe family. There are a lot of us that are truly grieving for both families. It is a tragic situation, but there are lessons learned not just for the families but for others. Especially the young people in this county and the people who gave the alcohol to the young people that were partying. There will be consequences for you, too. When someone drinks and drives, no matter what age, something like this happens. The repercussions from an incident like this will be with everyone forever. If Ms. Crowe is charged there are several steps that she and her family will have to endure through the legal process. I know a lot of people want to tie her to the stake. Being vindictive will not help either family. The young lady is 17 years old. It is not like she has had DUIs in the past. ... We as a society have said kids or young people are going to experiment. We have to stand up and tell them no, it is wrong, and what can happen. We need to start supervising our young people and be even more involved in their life whether they like it or not. We need to rally around both families and help them through this time in their lives. Instead of pointing fingers and talking and spreading rumors, we need to be part of the solution."

"It is sad when you give your child a present for Christmas and less than two months go by and it is stolen from her backpack at school. This is not the first time she has had something stolen from her backpack at Alcovy High School in the same class. The problem is that no one seems to care enough to find out who is committing these crimes! They never did anything when her I-Pod was stolen and I am sure they will not do anything about her new I-Phone 4s being stolen. I am getting so disgusted with these people getting by with taking things that other people work hard to pay for. Kayla works hard in the afternoons and on weekends at a job. It is a shame that these little crooks can't get a job and buy themselves these things and leave the things that belong to other people alone. I don't know why the school can't try and do something about these thefts! When the teacher's I-pad was stolen at Indian Creek, they went all out to find her stolen item. Why can't it be as important to find a student's item?"

Comments

oside2705 2 years, 6 months ago

To "It is Sad" - Alcovy is heading down down down and will until there is a new principle that is not the girlfriend now wife of the central office assistant. His hiring has ruined the system.

John 2 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, but situations like this has happened at other schools in the NCSS.

John 2 years, 6 months ago

To the to whom it may concerned writer. Just one point, just because someone was not arrested for a DUI in the past DOES NOT mean they did not drive while under the influence before this tragic event. All it means this is the first time they got caught and unfortunately it resulted in a tragedy - a loss of life of a person that will have no more tomorrows.

spdracer90 2 years, 6 months ago

I completely agree! It is sad that a 17 year old's life is ruined but at least she is still alive!! And in regards to "it is not like she had DUI's in the past"--that does not matter one way or the other. Would this tragedy be easier to stomach if she had previous DUI's? Look Ms. Bell's husband, children, grandchildren in the eyes and say that. Should we say "oh this is her first DUI--oopsie!" Give me a break. Someone should have known what this kid was and she should have never gotten behind the wheel!!! If the situation was reversed you better bet there would be h*** to pay!!!

KimberlyD 2 years, 6 months ago

Her family can't buy her way out of this one. A family has lost a member of their family that this little girl has taken. If you want to act like an adult then she should be treated like an adult. It's a crying shame that the parents weren't paying attention to what she was doing. I'm sure it wasn't her first time drinking.

KBeet 2 years, 6 months ago

well well the kiwanis bad filer strikes again it is sorta fun that the people he pumped up to high places in human resource talk lots

RV30015 2 years, 6 months ago

why caint the school operations people support drivers so that kids aren't beaten up on buses there is no support from the dr. of operations

MoneyBags 2 years, 6 months ago

Big Mike is on the money if we could get a new BOE member in district 4 and a new deputy super then dr. matthews could do even more work. I would run in 4 but i work in the system and cannot. Please somebody run for office.

bigmike 2 years, 6 months ago

Too bad the Citizen didn't agree with my comments. Why was my comment removed? I didn't write anything objectionable!

mgh1966 2 years, 6 months ago

when she does that it drives me nuts. Thanks I got it I need a laugh

oside2705 2 years, 6 months ago

Get rid of the district 4 BOE member who plots with Carpenter. It is no secret the crap that goes on principals are fed up with Carpenter. He is still trying to mess up Eastside.

KBeet 2 years, 6 months ago

the last super intendent created this and left this and much for for Matthews to clear up - i watched this choice over the real results of search committee

cousinparamom 2 years, 6 months ago

my child is at alcovy and I don't know what to think there was food all over the commons section on friday all the kids want out of the school

mgh1966 2 years, 6 months ago

It is time for a change the test scores are going the wrong way From the BOE web sit SAT scores have a neg trend for the last 5 years. We are not even meeting State Avg. When Rockdale has the problems that we have and can still make AYP year after year and we still are not making the Grade. They all get a F on my report card.

smallTown 2 years, 6 months ago

Crying about your I-phone or I-pod being stolen from your child's bookbag at school wont bring it back. WHY did YOU allow the items to be TAKEN TO SCHOOL. Thats the problems now-days, parents let their children dress like fools and take what ever they want to school. How about a calculator and some BOOKS.!!