Carpenter named Missouri school district superintendent

COVINGTON — Newton County School System’s Deputy Superintendent of Operations Dennis Carpenter has been named head of a Missouri school district.

NCSS Superintendent Gary Mathews said in an email Thursday that Carpenter has been named superintendent of the Hickman Mills C-1 School District in Kansas City, Mo., effective July 1, 2013.

The school district serves 6,200 students in eight elementary schools, one middle school, one junior high school, one senior high school, two special schools along with a comprehensive gifted program, an early childhood center and an alternative school, according to the Hickman Mills website. NCSS serves about 19,000 students.

Carpenter has been with NCSS since February 2008, when he was hired as associate superintendent for Human Resources. He did not respond to an email seeking a comment.

Earlier this year, he was one of two finalists for a superintendent position in Mississippi; last year, he was one of three finalists for a superintendent position in Peach County. He also has applied for positions in Florida and South Carolina in the past couple of years.

He is the husband of Dr. LaQuanda Carpenter, the principal at Alcovy High School. She has been principal since 2009.

“I have not heard as of yet from Principal Carpenter, but I fully expect she will finish out this current school year once she returns from maternity leave,” Mathews said Thursday.

In October, LaQuanda Carpenter withdrew a pending lawsuit against Newton County Board of Education Vice Chairman Jeff Meadors in an effort to end divisiveness in the community. She originally had filed a suit in April naming 11 “John Does” who commented about her on the Newton Citizen website; she later added Meadors and dismissed the others.

Mathews also is leaving the system at the end of this school year, when he retires. The Newton County Board of Education currently is searching for a superintendent using services provided by the Georgia School Boards Association.

Comments

Satan69 1 year, 7 months ago

will they take Lindsey with them?????????????

Del 1 year, 7 months ago

So long Dennis, don't forget to take Dr. LaQuanda with you............Progress for Newton County is right around the corner

ThePublicGood 1 year, 6 months ago

Agreed Del but the public needs to watch every step of the new search for Supt like laser focus on it because even if my kids don't go to public schools the schools like Alcovy kill property values in the community. Make the search process open by demand - show up people to these meetings.

TheUpside 1 year, 7 months ago

Praise God from whom all blessings flow. His new district is plagued with problems go Google it - they deserve him in every way and his wife.

ThePublicGood 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope every board member in that Missouri town has a Jeff Foster, Esquire in their pocket. That guy kicked some major butt and they all scrambled like roaches.

will 1 year, 7 months ago

I feel for the students and staff in this district. I hope he does not hire Laquisha when he gets out there because look what has gone on with LaLa here. Go on now, GIT!!!!

amused 1 year, 7 months ago

Just when it seems like there is never any good news... What a fantastic Christmas present for the parents and school children of Newton County.

Tatersalad 1 year, 7 months ago

Jeff foster is one of many people that them scramble I think their was another key player in that as well. I think it is hysterical that some wonderful town decided to take him on. It would not be in his best interest to hire Quan. Lord have mercy. Have fun with them Missouri or should I say misery. Hahahaha

ThePublicGood 1 year, 6 months ago

Foster seems to have had their number all along. There is a lot to come out I would say and moving to MO won't make it go away or make them immune or free of legal exposure. The b lame here has to be put where it belongs: Dennis and LaQuanda Carpenter began this to start with but the bad things go back to 2008 with him and 2009 with her from what people in the school system say and yes Mr. Covingtonian who you may ever be - the facts come in all sides against your buddies. Face it. SACS needs to step in on a few issues.

Frustrated 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!

OnToday 1 year, 7 months ago

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. He is going to one of the worst districts in the country. Look it up. They recently lost accreditation and he is supposed to help? HA! I pray for them but cheer for Newton Co because we Lise two terrible so-called educators. I hope Meadors and others they hurt sue them all the way out of town. I'm going to....Kansas city.....Kansas city here I come....

Thishonky 1 year, 7 months ago

Those people need to run run for the hills. I find this very interesting. Why is it they can sue people but we give them a little bit of a hard time they go crying. Ha. This new year is going to be beautimous. Lol. There is a god.

Thishonky 1 year, 7 months ago

On today they will fit right in.

tomgahunter 1 year, 7 months ago

Good for us, can we ship Eddie Johnson off next?

MamaTurd 1 year, 7 months ago

I say let them both go early and pay them. Any price is fine get them away from Newton students as soon as you can. I hope the new district buys them a house cars and pays them so much they stay forever I do not want one single more taxpayer dollar out of Newton going to these two people. I ask the Newton Citizen to stay all over the BOE in the supt search so they don't play dirty and the SPLOST too. I will vote NO on SPLOST but cover it to the max.

John 1 year, 7 months ago

Sure reminds me of an old (1970) Roy Clark song "Thank God & Greyhound Your Gone". Just need to tweek the last two words in the a tad bit to make it correct - like change to "........You'll Be Gone." Maybe someone can do a rewrite to fit the current situation.

amp72 1 year, 7 months ago

I would like to see all of their dirty laundry out in the open for all to see before they leave. To me they are getting off too easy. People need to see and understand the damage they caused many, many people in this county.

nc333 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm sure they can't wait to leave Newton County and our southern way of hospitality. Given the rude and baseless comments that are posted after almost every education article in Newton County, it will be a challenge to attract the best and brightest to leadership positions in our school system. You get what you give.

tomgahunter 1 year, 7 months ago

Are you saying the Carpenter’s frivolous lawsuits did NOT happen?

amp72 1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah... "baseless." Right. I have several emails and documents that prove the comments were not baseless. These people hurt many, many people in this community and we will be better off when they leave. We will attract the best and brightest because the community DEMANDS accountability and holds people to it when they don't do their jobs. And we shouldn't apologize for that.

Satan69 1 year, 7 months ago

@tom I wonder just how many board members were actually involved in the lawsuit. @nc333 you must either be related to or just live to basb the people they really hurt. Let them leave no love loss here.

tomgahunter 1 year, 6 months ago

I really don't know. I am now focused on the next Superintendent, that this board hires. The facts are that NCSS in in the botton half of Georgia which is 49th in the nation. We need to hire a Superintendent who will turn the system not use our students as the excuse for the administration's failures.

Thishonky 1 year, 6 months ago

you will want to watch that process like a hawk - the board is quite obviously based on what some say who are in and around the central office - they are not looking first for quality - they are looking quite possibly first for race.

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

Why are you still posting under multiple names? And here you go again with your "several documents" line that never seems to materialize. Take your meds just read the paper and stop trying to comment PLEASE. I for one will make it my duty to examine closely anything you publish in the future because you have proved in the past that you cannot be trusted.

Covingtonian 1 year, 6 months ago

My post was for Satan69 & Amp72 if there is any doubt as to who I posted to.

eyematter 1 year, 7 months ago

There are many that passed through our School System , who went on and Faired well. I wish for Dr. Carpenter and his family every good blessing and success in their future endeavor. It was the FACTS that brought him to Newton County, THE FACTS of job performance in the area of his expertise that made other communities seek his experience for employment. We want the the best for our community, we can no longer sit by, allow these baseless/mindless character assasinations to represent the whole of our community. We cannot blame one source for the failure of our schools, we all are responsible for the future of our community. The world reads these mindless/negative comments on social media; these posts do not represent the whole of our community. With these expression /comments must be embraced with a new level of commitment to be be hands on by parents,educators, tax paying citizens. We want the world to know that we can dislike the job a person does by utilizing the process we have in place,make the correction, move on. as we invite the corporate community to come we must sell the positive/success in our community nopt be misguided by a few disgruntled employees/staff/parents. We have the disruption in our schools because the children model at school what is shared in the homes. There is no utopia for PERFECT schools...all are a work in process. Yes, I have personally engaged my board member,city representative and county commisioner about my concerns. We need trained workforce for the high tech jobs coming our way. Let us work toward a resolve/solution in a intelligent manner dealing with the FACTS of guiding us where we desire to be. This is a GREAT community ! ! I am proud to say my children were educated here, did well, all graduated college, productive citizens in their respective communites.

amp72 1 year, 6 months ago

It's actually frightening how many people believe the Carpenters were the innocent victims in all of this. Maybe some day you will learn the truth.

dennistay53 1 year, 6 months ago

The FACTS are that the taxpayers support this school system to the limits. The FACT is that the millage rates stay topped our while the positive results in the school system continue to flounder. The FACT is that GOOD school systems do not have leaders who file or are part of filing frivilious lawsuits against citizens of the community. The FACT is that good school systems do not lay off good teachers while keeping all high paid executives. The FACTS are that good school systems have better and more openness with their school board meetings in order to seek input from the community.

John 1 year, 6 months ago

Well said dennistay, I would add one more FACT - there is very little accountability on significant blunders in the NCSS, e.g. a $500,000 oversight for lighting at the new NHS - just a lot of finger pointing and sweeping it under the rug. Sure doesn't give the taxpayers a "warm fuzzy feeling" unless one is wearing rose color glasses & blinders.

mrsfingerprints 1 year, 6 months ago

I bet the case file Foster has sheds light on a lot. I am hearing so. Citizen paper should get hold of that even if they have to pay.

Thishonky 1 year, 6 months ago

i don't see that happening but i guess anything is possible - i imagine a case file is full of discovery that would only come out if the case were to have gone forward but LaQuanda Carpenter of Alcovy High dropped the suit within hours of that RPD coming out so whatever is in that file is pretty damning I imagine but getting your hands on it is tough and tricky it would belong not to the courts unless filed in the court officially it would belong to the attorney or the person I assume who paid the attorney and only they would have rights to release it - anyone know anything about this? Share.

Satan69 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow still getting to you covingtonian? I don't know why you have anger towards me and insist that I'm Shannon Black that is very irritating given the fact I don't even know the young lady. I guess that's what happens when you assume. Can you do me a favor when the carpenters leave will you go with them please?

suerprincipal 1 year, 6 months ago

Yes covingtonian we always know who you are talking about it kinda of out there this obsession needs to stop its very concerning.

Grandcanyon 1 year, 6 months ago

I guess you have become the blogger police covingtonian? You examine the documents that's cool you have your work cut out for u . You are definatley a piece of work.

MissLoy 1 year, 6 months ago

I think that we should ship Almond Turner and Eddie Johnson away right along with Dennis and Quan and the blogger police covingtonian. Lol his comments are funny always thinking someone is really afraid by his poor scare tactics. So you make it your duty to make sure that everything certain people post you read between the lines because they might be talking trash about your best friends the carpenters.

KBeet 1 year, 6 months ago

Here you go covingtonian come at me directly. It is a beautiful thing how you think your woemrds phase me they don't . I could care less.

I hope that Missouri can handle the carpenters. Hahaha. Oh by the way I'm not amp72 nor am I Satan69. Way off. Happy blogging to u.

RV30015 1 year, 6 months ago

I know NO ONE who will miss these two. GO NOW.

1_player 1 year, 6 months ago

I wish the Carpenters well! Why are some of you SO obsessed with them? The emails, the facebook page, and the multiple personalities seem a little... VERY weird. I have a feeling that even when they leave this nonsense won't stop. It appears that you are already obsessing over someone else. "Concerning"

John 1 year, 6 months ago

From here it looks like you have your obession TOO - as you seem very up to date as to who said what to who on all the various social media sites. Opinions are like navels, everyone as one and no two are alike but some are similar.

1_player 1 year, 6 months ago

Did I strike a nerve with you? I didn't mention "several" social media sites. I only mentioned Facebook. The emails I spoke of have been posted here on the "Newton Citizen" comments section as well as Facebook for months now. The good news is that some of you have gotten the attention you have been chasing after. The bad news for you is that most of us recognize your obsession, as attention seeking, and view it as a weak form of entertainment. The "secret sources", letters to this and that official, threats of more lawsuits have all gotten a little "tired" and I can assure you that there ARE other navels like mine.

John 1 year, 6 months ago

@1_player, This site can be classified as social media site as is facebook (that makes more than one which qualifies for being "several"). But if you would have carefully read my post you would quickly discover I never once used the word "several"- Hmmm. The word I did use was "various" and these social media sites do vary in style, so the term various can be applied here. Further, both words contain 7 letters and 3 of the letters are common to both, so maybe that is your confusion point. No nerver struck by your comments but your comments seem a bit uncalled for, especially when you stated you were following this commentary closely - as an old adage goes "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Lucy30016 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks Katie. By the way big fight at Alcovy during Saturday ballgame.

cece 1 year, 6 months ago

"Obsessing" about the Carpenters is putting it lightly. No one should wish as much hatred on anyone like the persons who comment on this newspaper about this family. It is sad that there are adults in this community who behave worse than children. Children are not this mean and hateful. Sad that you do not see the awful behavior that you display on this paper's site.

Satan69 1 year, 6 months ago

I have no idea why everyone is arguing look. Some have stronger opinions then others who cares but to call someone obsessive is alittle much and you know maybe that person may have reason, however it isn't fair what the carpenters had done to some of the people involved in all this. As a matter of fact unless you were on the receiving end of that I guess you would'nt know. I wasn't but I know that the people and one person in particular had a hard time. You all want to say obsessing good say it. Everybody is entitled to whatever they think even if you two don't like it.

Thanks John at least someone has a brain. Some love to judge others not even having ANY idea what these others went through.

Tairuna 1 year, 6 months ago

I have an obsession it's called calling people out. You cece and 1_player you can comment somewhere else Im not bashing the carpenters and you all are irritating me. So @ cece you must know everything that went down right? Or you shooting your mouth off to see yourself on the comment section of the Newton Citizen. Half the people that make comments haven't any idea what happened, funny how you all think that they have been behaving themselves. HA funny. You must not know who you defend then. That's to funny.

Give it a rest why don't you. Don't quit your day jobs and you 2 wouldn't make very good police officers or investigators I give you both F's

Hotmess 1 year, 6 months ago

So what is really going on here now? So let see I think all of you are having way to much anger. I don't think any of us can say who is really right or wrong because we weren't involved. So calling people names isn't going to solve anything. but calling people obsessive and saying they act like children that really isn't fair given the circunstances and there are things none of us know. So to your corners people take a break.

Personalsavior 1 year, 6 months ago

@ cece to whom are referring to? It is sad that their are adults in this community can people names that they have no idea what has happened. But hey how about I call you two ignorant for that. I won't do that though cause that is stooping to your level. I guess that if the shoe would have been on the other foot it would have been ok for the 2 of you to obsess right?

Watermelonlover 1 year, 6 months ago

@RV30015 your so right about that. Hahahaha

Shart15 1 year, 6 months ago

Google Stan Archie who just resigned from Missouri state board.

Zo 1 year, 5 months ago

please post.....Congrats to the Dr. Carpenter Family......compared to this little town their headed to Beverly Hills with a pocket full of MONEY(laughing all the way)!! See you try to break a person, but evilness never prevails especially when you have faith & education on your side. I wish Dr. & Dr. Carpenter the best & enjoy the best BBQ ever Gates & Sons....please post