Newton Citizen Poll for Dec. 16, 2012

The Newton Citizen Poll is a compilation of opinions submitted by readers. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Citizen newspapers. If you agree or disagree with something you read here, you may respond by emailing poll@newtoncitizen.com or call 770-787-7303, ext. 1349. Please remember that the Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments either for or in opposition to candidates seeking elective office.

"The family of retired Oxford Police Chief Fairley Waddleton wants to publicly express our deepest appreciation to Newton County Sheriff Ezell Brown and the fine professional men and women of his Honor Guard for the honor they bestowed our father in his passing. Sheriff Brown assisted our family without hesitation and his acts of kindness were felt by us all. Special thanks also to Oxford Police Chief Dave Harvey, his men and the city of Oxford who also assisted in the planning and allowing the use of their city hall. Thank you to the Covington Police Department for your attendance and escort assistance."

"Why do your reporters never write articles about Covington Academy? They have sports and if I do believe correctly, they donated over 3,500 canned goods to help the needy out this past week. That is more than any public school did in the county. You need to show the private schools some love too! This is an awesome school!"

"Just a reply to the person who wrote in griping and complaining about the EBT users. Stop worrying so much about how they spend their food stamp allowance and be thankful you don't have one! Or better yet, allow yourself only a couple hundred dollars this month to try and feed your family on and see how well that goes. I'm so sick of people trying so hard to portray themselves as Christians this time of year when they don't even have a Christian bone in their whole body. People who have plenty tend to think that those who have nothing deserve nothing, not even food to eat! I sure hope you're not raising your kids to be selfish and uncaring like you. Why don't you try teaching them the true meaning of Christmas, which is to have empathy for those less fortunate than you and to do what you can to help them. Instead of taking the time to write in to the local paper and humiliate them and complain about them. Yes, there are a lot of people in need right now, me and my family included. We've been homeless for over two years now and we are sick of being treated as if we don't deserve to live, let alone eat or have a home. People need to check their so-called Christmas spirit because if you really feel this way about the poor then you are in no way a true Christian. Yet, you will go to church and pretend to be one, and then pass a homeless person and act like they don't exist. Not very Christian. Perhaps you should actually go out and do something to help these people instead of ridiculing them in front of the whole town. It's bad enough to even be in this situation but then we have to put up with being treated this way. It's not as easy as people think to even get the piddling amount of food stamps they give you, which is not enough to last all month to begin with, but then people like this are there watching and staring and talking when they try to use them to get some food. But for the grace of God this could be you. And it can happen to any one of us in the blink of an eye. I know this firsthand. So be grateful for what you have and stop harassing those who have nothing. Maybe go out and do something to help them. Donate food or clothing. Feed the homeless. Take care of the poor and do it with love in your heart and thank God that you are in a position to potentially change someone's life for the better ... then go and do it. It's called empathy and, yes, this is what Jesus would do."

"I have a simple question. Is Bobby Sigman starting his campaign to run again? One might say to me 'Well, no, dummy, the election was earlier this year.' What makes me ask such a dumb question, is if you take a drive down Turner Lake (and drive around that new turn-about) and head west on Brown Bridge Road just a short way, there are three Bobby Sigman election posters attach to a billboard type sign on your right side. In order to see them, you need not be reading a text message or typing one (plus, it is against the law). Thought that I read somewhere there is a code that states campaign posters are to be removed within a reasonable time after the election. Just guess that time period has long passed and our code enforcement officers have been too busy digging through trash bags trying to identify who left their trash at the gate of a recycle center. Or, maybe, no one ever noticed this except me -- not even our city/county law enforcement officers. Hey, this possibly is a source of city/county revenue -- a code violation with the possibility of compounding interest charges for being so long in violation. What say you? That turn-a-bout reminds me of the Chevy Chase move 'European Vacation.' The Griswalds didn't know how to properly negotiate it either."

"Our schools are only as good as we demand that they be. Since SACS is coming in the spring make your voice known to Mark Elgart, president of AdvancED/SACS, if you feel that the local system is ignoring you. SACS looks at policies and how and if they are being followed toward an end of greater student achievement. If policies are made and violated they need to know. Contact them here: Alpharetta Office, 9115 Westside Parkway, Alpharetta, GA 30009, 678.392.2285, Email: contactus@advanc-ed.org"

"I read an article in the paper where the Covington Police Department keeps getting something called accreditation. This certainly can't be for protecting the public and solving crimes. I live off Lakeview Drive and I have had the following items stolen from me in the last 15 years: 1 go cart, 3 skill saws, 1 large tool box with tools, 3 lawnmowers, 1 30-30-caliber Marlin rifle, 2 leaf blowers, 1 gasoline edger, 2 electric hedge trimmers, 12 trolley motor, 1 electric blower, several cans of gasoline and numerous small tools. I have never heard from the Covington Police on any of these thefts. The Newton County Sheriff's Office did recover one hedge trimmer. You read about daily crimes in Covington, but you never read where any are being solved. The accreditation must be a public relations stunt."

Comments

will 1 year, 9 months ago

To the person talking about EBT card users. I agree with you that we should help people, and I do often, who are having a hard time. What I have a problem with are the abusers of the welfare system, the ones that always think they deserve something for nothing. When I see someone using an EBT card and they have gold grills, tattoos from head to toe, smell like a bottle of cheap wine and cigs. and 5 kids under their arm it makes me sick. These abusers have made poor choices their entire life and the HARD WORKING productive people have to pay their way through life and thats not fair. Life is not fair. The productive people should have luxuries that non-productive people do not have because they WORKED HARD AND EARNED THEM. We should drug test all welfare recipients and if they fail they are out of the system, period. If you are sucking off the system and you have a baby too bad you either give the child up for adoption or you raise the child at your own expense. If your a lfelong welfare sucker you should not vote as well.

John 1 year, 9 months ago

Spot on Will, I agree that truly poor people do need to be helped by the. community & churches. But there are some able bodied & in mind people that simply make POOR choices such as not taking advantage of "free education" for 13+ years (K-12). People from South of border only get a "free" education opportunity for 6 years, the parents have to pay for the next 6 years.
They make POOR financial decisions by wasting money on Tats, $400 smart phone, real, fake designer type clothes & shoes to impress faux friends that equals POOR choices in their friends, POOR choices by breaking the law, POOR choices in expensive hair styles, etc. etc., developed POOR work ethics - it is not harmful to sweat - in fact sweating is good for you. Spend to much time watch the 50 - 60" flat screen or just sleeping. Possibly some of these POOR choices were made from POOR footsteps made by their parents or guardians. If a person is unemployed there are no jobs or hourly wage that is too low to do - you can always find a "legal" way to make a buck. In the military and in real life one starts a career at the bottom of the totem pole or as a grunt and through demonstration of positive contributions you start earning your stripes one at a time, the more you demonstrate your value to a company the quicker you will earn those stripes. When a person says the can't, cannot or cain't do something they have selected a POOR choice of words as these word strongly suggest one have given up and are unwilling to learn. They need to remove this word from their vocabulary should say I don't know how, can someone help me or show me how or better yet do a little research on your own to find out how - Google is a great resource and it is "free". Adopting an attitude of Yes I Can, Yes I Can will take you along way in life and self improvement is a "natural high"..

KimberlyD 1 year, 9 months ago

How do you know these people did not work their entire lives and planned based on what they were making? Not everything is as black and white as you may want it to be. All 3 people in my house work, we barely make enough to cover our basic bills, a fair working wage would be the answer, not to starve the hungry. Have you ever sat down and spoke to someone about how little people actually get for food assistance? I would like to know if we faced 1 more hard time, we could get help if needed. These "things" that people mention that welfare recipients own, how do you know they don't come from Goodwill or are gifted to them? Are they supposed to say no, I'm on welfare don't give me a free shirt, tat or purse??

John 1 year, 9 months ago

A fair working wage is based on your contribution to the success of the company work for, your education, special skills, ability to improve sales, profitability, special skills, being a team player etc. My first job after graduation was below that of the average graduate but within 4 years I was earning over 4 times that amount. When I was in middle school (it was junior high then)my step dad's UAW company went on an extended strike - we cut & split wood, painted houses, did any odd job to make, money to make ends meet - never had much time for TV, didn't have time to watch it with work & school home work to keep me busy. But what the heck & it was only a black & white TV next to the wood burning house heater. Mom fixed many just french fries dinners and sometimes with catsup. Even went fishing for food and sold the fish we didn't want to those that weren't catching any. Yes, I am very familiar with food assistance for welfare recipients - had two older sisters with children and no husband receiving it in the late 50's & earlier 60's - it was called two lbs. of powered milk, 1 lb. of butter, 5 lbs of flour, dried beans, peanut butter, some lard. I drove them to pick it up their monthly food allotment and I helped carry the items.

will 1 year, 9 months ago

KimberlyD, Goodwill does not give tattoos or gold grills or cheap wine and cigs. If someone tells one of these welfare abusers they will give them a tattoo or something such as that the correct response is to tell them to give them something useful so they can help their family. If you have one more hard time this awful no-good hussein obama will give you all you need because he is using the ignorance of the welfare abusers for his political gain and they are too ignorant to see this. In some cultures it is bragging rights to say you use the system. We need government stores for the welfare recipients to shop at so they can only get healthy food and be monitored for abuse. Drug test all welfare recipients and anyone on welfare should not be allowed to vote.

Tatersalad 1 year, 9 months ago

I am concerned. Our schools have a lot of people just walking in and out interrupting teachers and getting in the way of classroom instruction and just crazy I am so worried about security in our schools I work in one and see so many people walking all over that I have no idea who they are.

dennistay53 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm with you Tatersalad. If we can do nothing else we need to protect our childen and teachers that are trying to teach them. We are using some of our taxes for the wrong purpose. I would have no trouble with a 1% tax that went solely for security of our schools. Yet SPLOST can't be used for this. Our state government needs to relook at the laws governing where our SPLOST can go to. If it takes more money to make sure our students and teachers go to school knowing that they are in a safe enviroment than that is what we need the money to go to- not on wasteful projects. I would challenge our school board to work with the state house for these purposes.

John 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree with you tatersalad. I subbed in the NCSS for about 2 years & witnessed people including my self enter at the front entrance at most any time of the day without ever going into the main office & signing in - even with compliance officers, or school admin staff or teachers in the immediate area or a student monitor sitting at a desk just in side the entrance. and the back entrance totally "unmanned" at some schools the back entrance is a student parking lot or trailer class rooms. Haven't subbed for a couple years - pay ($60/day) isn't worth the time, frustration and a rise in BP. Maybe things have changed but security of students & staff must be foremost. A good start would only cost a few extra words - such as "Sir or Miss you need to sign-in with the front office before you can enter." school - it is policy".