Carpenter not selected as finalist for Florida system

COVINGTON -- A Newton County School System deputy superintendent isn't one of the finalists for a superintendent job in Florida.

Last week, the school board for Duval County Public Schools in Jacksonville announced five finalists for superintendent. Originally, 30 people applied for the position, including Dr. Dennis Carpenter, deputy superintendent for Operations at NCSS.

The finalists selected were Kriner Cash from Memphis, Tenn.; Kathryn LeRoy in Duval schools; William Miller from Michigan; Dale Robbins, who is retired from Gwinnett County Public Schools; and Nikolai Vitti from Miami-Dade, Fla.

Carpenter submitted an application dated July 17 to McPherson & Jacobson LLC, a Nebraska-based consulting firm handling the search.

The Jacksonville system operates 183 schools and serves approximately 125,000 students, compared to about 19,000 students in Newton County.

Earlier this year, Carpenter was one of two finalists for a superintendent position in Mississippi; last year, he was one of three finalists for a superintendent position in Peach County.

He has been with NCSS since February 2008, when he was hired as associate superintendent for Human Resources.

Comments

Watermelonlover 1 year, 8 months ago

Well it is just no surprise.  No school board will ever hire him or his wife again woudl you hire them if they sued one of your own?  No you would not.  And the harassment by the attorney they found under some heap of mess is making her own life worse - totally consumed with this mess.  We can kiss Baxter goodbye thanks to this mess.

KBeet 1 year, 8 months ago

Thank you newton citizen for not putting his picture in this time. Isn't this like 7th or 8th job he hadn't gotten. Are we stuck

MsLoy 1 year, 8 months ago

I wonder if Dennis's job will come up in tomorrows deposition with newton county parent?

MissLoy 1 year, 8 months ago

Well no wonder he didn't get after the conversation I had with the board down there.

MsLoy 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh my goodness now that school board is going to be sued at least one of them. It will probably be mr Gentry

MsLoy 1 year, 8 months ago

I have an idea maybe he can apply for a job lead learners or state Kawanis office.Or maybe he can find mother board member to sue and get money that way.

Billy 1 year, 8 months ago

With the ongoing lawsuit drama by Carpenter, why would anyone want these people within a million miles of their school systems? I told you guys in a previous post that these people would reap what they have sown. LOL, I wish someone WOULD take them off our hands, but I believe extensive background checks are the norm these days in most cases. If I were hiring for a similar position and heard about the present circumstance in Newton County, GA, I wouldn't give these people a second thought--maybe not even a first one...

will 1 year, 8 months ago

You dont say, do you think his partners legal issues helped him on that? Nobody wants to hire anyone associated with a frivilous litigation matter. Good luck Mr. Carpenter keep looking please something else will come along.

UGAFan 1 year, 8 months ago

I wonder how much this lawsuit is keeping him from getting these other jobs?

Frustrated 1 year, 8 months ago

is this a surprise to any of us? Im only surprised it took them this long to eliminate him.

amp72 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm sure the "bloggers" will be blamed for this too. IN MY OPINION, Dr. C needs to start looking for assistant jobs elsewhere instead of shooting for the head job in a large area. By the way, has anyone looked at the newspapers in Jacksonville and read the anonymous blogger comments on those articles down there? Wow, and they think we are bad here. They would eat him alive and there would be dozens of frivolous lawsuits.

Romulus 1 year, 8 months ago

This is the chicken coming home to roost. The Carpenters have persecuted, prosecuted and and otherwise tried to bully their naysayers. They send a clear message "If you say or do anything against us, you will not work for us, no matter how good your qualifications." Now boards of education around the country are saying the same thing to them: "If we hire you, you might sue us if for some reason you don't like what we say about you. Thanks, but no thanks." Why would ANY BOE invite such a headache into their lives? Any BOE, that is, except ours who seem impervious to reason and logic. Only one man has the courage to stand up and represent us and our children. Hang in there, Jeff. We'll try to get you some help come November.

Del 1 year, 8 months ago

@frustrated, his was probably the first name tossed however, they released a batch at the same time.......could you imagine him overseeing 125k students, he can't ever take care of his own business

tomgahunter 1 year, 8 months ago

The only way we are going to "pass the trash" is for Carpenter to apply for a small system in south Georgia. He doesn't understand that there is no way he will get a system 10 times the size of Newton without real job experience.

John 1 year, 7 months ago

D.C. was one of the 3 finalist for Peach County, Ga - population about 25K. As it is said "Close but no cigar."

CadyJackson 1 year, 8 months ago

Honestly, Dr. Carpenter was not even close to being the most qualified for that job.

However,

I wish Dale Robbins good luck as a finalist for that job. I had him for American History many years ago, and he is a fine upstanding gentleman.

CadyJackson 1 year, 8 months ago

Dr. Carpenter, I would like to give you a bit of career advice:

Stop applying for the superintendent position for school systems that are greatly larger than NCSS. You would do better to apply for a lower position in a larger system. Then, after a few years, you would be better qualified for that top position. You're still young enough to do this.

See, Covingtonian...some of us can be positive.

Personalsavior 1 year, 8 months ago

@amp

Your right give it sometime and we will all be at fault. However Romulus does have a point no other BOE wants this headache and if they did invite this kind of negative attention they would deserve if they did get it just my opinion. I'm sure everybody pretty much thinks the same thing you push they will sue so I guess the image of being bulky doesn't fit after all does it?

carefulshawty 1 year, 8 months ago

Ms Black

I can't believe you had the nerve to show up at the BOE meeting tonight. I can't understand what possessed you to do that? You didnt get to stay long did you?

They needed to make you leave I think you have a hidden agenda.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 8 months ago

I find it a shame when you can't even attend a BOE meeting freely that my friends is childish.

Wow.

That's alright there are attorney's for that. Ha

Romulus 1 year, 7 months ago

The freedom to peaceably assemble is still a constitutional right, last I looked. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually resort to dogs and fire hoses. And people wonder why we need a charter school constitutional amendment.

THIS, my friends, is why we need to pass that measure so that our children have an avenue of escape from school boards like ours. They are simply out of control and inept. If voters are so blind as to re-elect someone who so obviously is contributing to our schools being run into the ground, at least allow parents who care enough the power to vote with their feet, and take their children and that money with them. The present board can not be trusted to do the right thing, plain and simple. They can't get their simple minds around the concept of the conflict of interest of an administrator , suing a board member. Or the corruption of one administrator hiring their spouse, relatives and friends. Or a high drop out rate or failing test scores or really anything else. Our kids need help here, and we can't look to our own school board to provide it. The Carpenter problem only reveals the deeper cancer. Getting rid of them treats a symptom, but the absent leadership will still remain. Just what sort of new supt. now walks into this mess?

Crazyhooker99 1 year, 7 months ago

Satan you know my friend you are talked about a lot in Newton county people would love to know your true identity. When we you going to tell them? Gcng the fact I know you and they would all croak if they found out who you really were stephanie Lindsey would har a heart attack. Hahahaha

Satan69 1 year, 7 months ago

Ok people I have decided to come out. Wait for it , wait for it.

Never mind it's to much fun

Satan69 1 year, 7 months ago

I myself think it's wonderful everybody would love to know my true identity and it is hysterical that they throw these names out like are you a secretary, are you LC or DC, or Ms Black?

People I'm one of the backup singers for one direction. Hahahahahahaha Not. If you want to find out who I am you will have to dig far and hard and know I have a wide range I stretch from here to the west coast. Hey maybe I'm an ocean.

Henrycounselor 1 year, 7 months ago

Satan,

I think you need a counselor and I'm here to help. Tell me who you are.

Personalsavior 1 year, 7 months ago

Did kbeet and the loy girls take time off ?  Get up in heah u heaps a mess.

KBeet 1 year, 7 months ago

Oh Satan I think that's a wonderful idea lets let the cat out of the bag shall we let's tell all these beautiful people who you are

MsLoy 1 year, 7 months ago

Seriously unreal that Carpenter guy applied also in South Carolina when this mess was going on?  Is he that dumb?  2 plus 2 = 4.  Can he not see that no board member will ever hire him after seeing all this in the news he needs to get his mug out of the papers for one year before applying anywhere but I bet Dennis Carpenter has already applied in Clayton County, Georgia now that that dude is leaving.   Maybe 20th time is a charm.

carefulshawty 1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah Satan tell us who you really are cause I think I already know. If I'm right well that just proves my point all along.

@ MsLoy quit calling personal people of mine stupid cuz they ain't stupid and if it wasn't for folks like you he probably would have gotten all of those jobs.

Wow you peeps are unreal up in heah!!!!

OnToday 1 year, 7 months ago

So you're saying that the "anonymous bloggers" on this site have enough power to prevent him from getting another job, but not ENOUGH power to get him removed from the one he currently has? Sorry, but that is just STOOPID. The bloggers are not the reason he is not getting these jobs. His REACTION to the bloggers might have an effect, but only because his reaction is irrational and troubling. No one will hire a person who sues people at the drop of a hat. That is just common sense, which seems to be a commodity in short supply these days around here.

Satan69 1 year, 7 months ago

@ shawty I wouldn't give you the satisfaction of knowing my true identity besides you may send a letter to me to friend.

You need to chill out. Besides I know who you are do you know me really?

Think about that and get back to me.

Frustrated 1 year, 7 months ago

Heard there was an opening in Clayton Co. Both Carpenters would fit in over there.

Satan69 1 year, 7 months ago

send the carpenters to CLAYTON COUNTY

Crazyhooker99 1 year, 7 months ago

Frustrated that is a fabulous idea then they would be stuck with the gruesome twosome maybe they accept nepotism over there, What do you think? Let old DC try to push some buttons over there sure that would go over really well. What do you think Frustrated?

ShannonBlack 1 year, 7 months ago

I say go for it. What do they have to lose? They would definately fit over their.

Tatersalad 1 year, 7 months ago

send the carpenters to CLAYTON COUNTY. I will pay for their gas to go please go!!!! I seriously can't believe this is still going on and for what reason?

Geez give it a rest already. @ shawty you need to take it easy my friend you have a serious obsession with Ms.Black. You know she wasn't the only blogger just the one who decided to come out, if these people are in fact "your people" try helping them not making it worse.

Wildwomanoftigertown 1 year, 7 months ago

I think LC would do a wonderful job at a high school there then we could have Prison 36 and Amittyville high. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Thats a great point Shannon they dont have anything to lose but not much to gain either cause give it time and Stephanie would represnting them again for something else. Wow as the the Law suits turn.

I'm mad today im going to file a law suit. Stephanie will you represent me PLEASE!!

Henrycounselor 1 year, 7 months ago

HEAPS A MESS just a whole heap a mess say prayer mama

Grandcanyon 1 year, 7 months ago

Does he not understand that this is going to follow him everywhere?

Not only that but you start a war in Newton County and now want to get out of dodge. No worries Dennis Im sure they will leave the light on for you pal. Good luck!!!!!!

I guess they were right when they said the devil went down to Georgia, but be careful Johnny gott'em in the end. Just lay the fiddle down now and give up DC

ShannonBlack 1 year, 7 months ago

the chamber PREZ will poop a brick when Baxter says we ain't buyin no houses in your town with a suer principal

gsm7476 1 year, 7 months ago

there may be new news out FRiday

MamaTurd 1 year, 7 months ago

what is coming out on friday?  More cow suits? Or is it cow patties?

MamaTurd 1 year, 7 months ago

Come on gsm don't tease us, did Clayton county take the twosome hahahahahahaha they need to take Mathews too since their all such good friends.

Just sayin!!!!!

Hotmess 1 year, 7 months ago

Oh my goodness I lived in Newton county a LONG time and i have never in all my 35 yrs seen something like this Law suit. Sakes alive. The one person who has surprised me the most through this thing is Gary Mathews not standing behind the BOE member who is clearly the one who wants change, not a bunch of followers like the others. This has completly changed my opinion on the school system here.

I have never seen a board not have someones back instead side with the enemy the the super follows right along with it.

I say let'em go to Clayton County or even Dekalb their just as corrupt. This has completely affected the high school in a lot of negative ways.

Satan69 1 year, 7 months ago

So come on gsm give us a hint the suspense is killing me? Did they wipe them all out?

@Mamaturd I have to say your right the super needs to go to. Something is seriously wrong.

OnToday 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe Meadors, Black and some of the teachers who have been mistreated will file a lawsuit to give them a taste of what it feels like.

Tatersalad 1 year, 7 months ago

hotmess - you are right on man right on this pair has run completely undisciplined for so long and once anyone strong enough to take on the corruption does so they files suits and try to change the way emails are answered in the system one thing the taxpayer friends of mine should know is that this lawsuit has used taxpayer resources since late April and continues to do so

Watermelonlover 1 year, 7 months ago

gsm you don't have to worry he has no plans of staying in this county i promise not one minute after june 30th 2013 if you knew the real truth that we all know on the inside you would not think he is such a fan of DLC at all but it is true he has been WEAK WEAK WEAK on this matter Clamp would have kicked these head cases and their lawsuit to the curb long ago and LaQuanda Brown Carpenter of Alcovy High School and her husband Dennis L. Carpenter of Newton County School System would be unemployed as they should be.

MamaTurd 1 year, 7 months ago

If u pay close attn to this filth as I have u know 2 things:  the bd member has uncovered enough to have more than one certificated yanked and let's be honest he is the only white man on the boe and not weak like matthew.  Now u see why they hate him.

Iknowddatsright 1 year, 7 months ago

Yep not only white but the only true repub on the boe so he is hated the most go figure

Iknowddatsright 1 year, 7 months ago

It goes without saying that no matter what happens the end result is these people need to go. However since this silly law suit will follow and all the chaos it has caused then when one out weighs the other well it doesn't look good.

What is really sad is they attack the only white male BOE member saying he is corrupting people to make them do things and post things for him this is what I'm going to say about that. 1 no one can make you do anything you don't want to do. 2. The only corruption is the lawyer and plaintiff no one else.

That's to bad. This nightmare will follow and all people will remember is the bad and how badly people were treated.

Southside 1 year, 7 months ago

Doesn't it make you proud that nobody wants your deputy superintendant? Maybe he should apply for the job at La Petite Academy, he may be qualified fot that one

Hotmess 1 year, 7 months ago

@SOUTHSIDE maybe he and the nepotism woman can work at Dollar Tree maybe she can manage her budgets for her clubs better if she is out of the building entirely.

Satan69 1 year, 7 months ago

Yet one more school board who just didnt buy his sale of goods.   As

a candidate for the Superintendency in Duval County, Florida, I would relish the opportunity to assume the moral responsibility associated w

ith being the primary custodian of the educational well-being of each and every student enrolled

in each ofthe 183 schools that make up the Duval County Public School System; while realizing tha

t this task will only be completed successfully through working collaboratively with all school and community stakeholders to de

liver on the very best education we can offer, You wil

l notice, while studying my application packet, that I possess all ofthe prerequisites necessary to continue the traditions of excel

lence that are hallmarks of the Duval County Public School System, while furthe

r enhancing the district in those areas targeted for improvement. My previous working relationships with excellent leaders/me

ntors, combined with my persona, collaborative leadership skills, professional experiences

, awards, professional and community memberships, professional development activities, writings and presentation

s have provided me with the experiences and prior knowledge needed to be a st

rong candidate for this position. Combining this background with capitalizing on the skills and talents of others,

I am confident that through a systemic process of determining what works, what needs to be amended and

what needs to be abandoned, I can use my collaborative and servant leadership skills to forge a

reputation of both academic and extracurricular excellence in the Duval County Public School System, on both the state and national level, Such a reputation would be built on a foundation of et

hical behavior, trust, transparency and service to all the children

, district employees and families of Duval County.

Hotmess 1 year, 7 months ago

From the online public files at Duval County you just can't make this up - this guy attacks a bd member through his wife and sends others on GBI goose chases while hiding emails to another - TRANSPARENCY my butt.

I think a learning organization feeds off of the health of the board/superintendent

relationship. In fact, some new research from William Schletchy says that this relationship is the second ' most important relationship in a school system in terms of enhancing student achievement; second only to the student /teacher relationship.

With that said, I will foster a relationship with the board and across the district via

communication, openness and the sharing of information in a transparent fashion.

As superintendent, the board and all other stakeholders will hear from me in various

forms often. It is also important to note that what is shared with one BOE member

will be shared with a" BOE members . In my estimation this is the only way the board and superintendent can build trust and support each other. As superintendent

I feel strongly about my responsibility in terms of modeling transparency and other behaviors that foster honest and open communication. For example, as Duval's

next superintendent I would envision developing end of week notes for board

Duval County Public Schools, Jacksonville. FL Closing date July 23.2012

members each week that would provide a glimpse of the previous week and a

snapshot of what's to come in the coming week. Furthermore, one of the first tasks

in my entry plan would be to meet with each board member individually and with

other internal and external stakeholders to gather information and begin modeling

effective communication. Finally and most importantly, I will build trust with the board

and the greater school district community by ensuring clear communication that

outlines what we plan to do as a district and following up by ensuring that we do it!

In the absence of this level of follow through trust is irreversibly broken down and

goals for enhancing the learning and lives of young people will not be met.

Tairuna 1 year, 7 months ago

the beautiful thing is that when the google alerts pop up on this guy with new apps all we have to do is send over the talking points and famous first letter and the choice email her or there and wham!  - not hired - oh and it sure did not help to recruit the covington news employee as your trash launderer that hurt you real bad