Aug. 19 Newton Citizen Poll

The Newton Poll is a weekly compilation of reader comments on subjects of local interest. The Newton Citizen publishes as many comments as space allows. Comments, which may be edited for space or content, are published anonymously on Sunday. To submit a comment, call 770-787-7303, ext. 1349, email poll@newtoncitizen.com or complete the online form.

"I am a retired U.S. Army veteran who moved to Newton County four years ago. I am now learning that Newton County is the most backward place that I have ever lived. The people are wonderful, but it is the governing bodies that act with absurdity. A school principal is suing a board member. In other areas where I have lived, governments had a strict code of conduct. The actions by the school principal would be considered as infamous, disgraceful and prejudicial conduct toward the school board. A suit of this nature would harm and damage the reputation and goodwill of the board. It would impede their day to day operation and cause friction among the employees. It is amazing why this principal has not been removed from the Board of Education. Policemen in the city of Covington seem to use official vehicles to campaign, operate their personal businesses and hang out with their friends. This falls under the category of misuse of government property and time. Here again there seems to be no standards or employee codes. Many Covington employees owe taxes and are sued. They must not have a requirement to submit periodic financial statements, or they just don't care. The police department doesn't appear to comprehend what an internal affairs department consists of. What is internationally accredited? These types of misconduct only lead to a continual mistrust of all governments."

Comments

sweetpotato 1 year, 8 months ago

Apparently you have never lived in Fulton, DeKalb or Clayton Counties.

sweetpotato 1 year, 8 months ago

I say take it public! Re: your closing statement , I say people like you that know some facts that need to be made public and do not bring it forward formally so it can be dealt with or disproven are in essence allowing the activity to continue. Go to the paper with the proof, contact City Council members, call the I-Team Do Something! If you google CALEA you will get your internationally accredited answer, pretty impressive.

ShannonBlack 1 year, 8 months ago

I have to completely agree things are done backwards here and not only that it is very sad that this situation has gotten so far out of control. The only board member that's worth while is the one whom the are blaming for all of this which is completely absurd. I really think that newton county Boe needs to look at other boards and see how they handle things. We are the laughing start right now and all because of this silly law suit.

That was a very good point!!!!

Satan69 1 year, 8 months ago

Has it occurred to anyone how silly and childish our county looks because of all this nonsense? Everyone wants to blame self proclaim bloggers or ex school employees or BOE members. I will tell you it's one thing poor leadership.

will 1 year, 8 months ago

It not poor leadership it is NO leadership

Covingtonian 1 year, 8 months ago

It has occurred to me how silly you look with the name Satan69. You can't be very intelligent.

gsm7476 1 year, 8 months ago

Your right it is leadership problem. It started with the selection of the Super. The best thing I can say without hurting peoples feelings is we need to let his contract expire and do a national search, with a search committee to include the BOE, the Chamber of Commerce and parents and retired educators, so we get a good fit for the community. It is time to hit the reset button, our children can not afford to wait. In my opinion of course.

insanidee 1 year, 8 months ago

Sweetpotato, what do you think the OP is doing? This is public.

sweetpotato 1 year, 8 months ago

take it public like a Council Meeting , w/ names go to somebody thats going to do something about it not just on here. The people that need to know about are not going to do anything based on some Citizen Poll comment because they know that half of the posts are not correct or have no basis and so many of the people are ill informed and just assume things. Like the lady below that assumed the officer was asleep. I was told they can do their reports in their vehicles now on an in car computer so I am assuming they were doing a report, some people always got that negative frame of mind

Covingtonian 1 year, 8 months ago

To the Army vet, although I did not retire from the military, I did serve and visited many other countries as well as different states within the U.S.. Covington and some others (Porterdale) with their politics can only make you shake your head.I agree with most of your post but not all. My purpose in responding is you mentioned at least four main points, 1) the BOE, 2) the police, 3) city employees owing taxes/being sued and 4) international accredited. I couldn't help but notice the same ole yahoos couldn't wait to talk about the "one" that they have talked about at every turn and that's the good old board of education. My wife came home the other day and said that a policeman was backed in a lot near washington and west street and she was certain that he was asleep. Maybe that's why some want their windows tinted. I am pro police but also am intelligent enough to know not all do their jobs as intended. Also the people of this beautiful county leave me perplexed in the way some of them vote and what they base their votes on, J.C. and Almond? come on man! Oh yeah how about Porterdale and the accounting issue, I could go on and on but you get the gist.

mustardandbiscuit 1 year, 7 months ago

Gosh, it must be horrible being perfect and having to living in a dysfuctional county like this, eh Mr. C ?! You are perfect, right?

Covingtonian 1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah it is frightening having to deal with some of you. As for being perfect, I never said that but "you did" thanks.

Silverbullet 1 year, 8 months ago

"Newton County has its own little country down there" is a phrase Ive heard several times before from people who are would be investors and also attorneys who will not come here to handle cases. Even some builders will not come here to do business. I know because I was turned down by four of them before I found one who was willing to build me a structure here. It does make one stop and think. You know in every situation of this nature, the snake has only one head. This control and intimidation is a bit like the lords and serfs of medieval times during the middle ages.I have to quote a TV Atlanta newsman who, after spending a day in Covington to follow up on the voter fraud case some years ago stated, "After spending the morning in Covington I have been unable to find anyone who will comment on camera because of fear of intimidation or reprisal." Voter fraud is a federal offense and the suspects got a slap on the wrist? I wonder why the DA settled for such nonsense on a vote buying case? Well that says it all. And that video is probably available for anyone who would want to see it. I believe it was channel 5, Fox. One other phrase Ive heard is "Rotten to the core" and people they are talking about our home county and the place our children are being raised. Hopefully at the end of the day the Carpenter saga will allow the good citizens of Newton County to rise up against further incidents which play bad on our hometown. People in control, take heed! Citizens, bring it on!

Covingtonian 1 year, 8 months ago

Okay I wasn't going to respond to sweetpotato but couldn't resist. You assumed that the officers head must have been down hence the officer could have been doing a report. You yourself stated that "so many of the people are ill informed and just assume things" I couldn't agree with you more since you did what you stated others do. It was never stated what the officer was doing for my wife to come to the conclusion that said officer was asleep. From the comment I made you don't know if officers head was back thus doing report in the ceiling of his vehicle or laying to the side, proof reading the report against the "tinted window" on the passenger side of the car. Also regarding tinted windows in patrol cars, It was volunteered by another reader sometime ago when this subject came up that it was for the "officers safety". The area my wife saw said officer backed into while, "doing a report" has over grown brush that could make sneaking up on someone in a car backed up very easy. Again you give the retired Army vet more evidence of what I referred to earlier about this county and some of it's inhabitants. I tried not to expose the officer by putting the time, date or gender in the comments, I am pro police.

amp72 1 year, 8 months ago

So it's OK to criticize a police officer's job performance but others can't criticize the performance of a high school principal? Where is the lawsuit against this "anonymous blogger" for complaining about how the police department does or does not do its job? You said, "but also am intelligent enough to know not all do their jobs as intended." Well tell that to Stephanie Lindsey because I too am intelligent enough to know that as well and it shouldn't garner a stupid lawsuit if I point it out.

Covingtonian 1 year, 7 months ago

How often do you see me post or criticze a policemans job performance? Now how often have I seen your post criticizing the performance of the Principal at Alcovy? That's the difference my dear. I am tired of you beating this dead horse, for months.

amp72 1 year, 7 months ago

The frequency of the complaints doesn't matter. As always, you miss the point. You decry those who anonymously criticize the lack of job performance of others and yet you do the same exact thing. THAT is the point. Frequency of said complaints is irrelevant.

amp72 1 year, 7 months ago

And furthermore, it's not yours truly who is putting Alcovy in the headlines every other week for food fights, fist fights, and ridiculous antics by someone and his/her ambulance chasing attorney. I merely comment on the stories that are already out there. Not my fault the school is constantly in the news for topics that are not always positive. As soon as every other headline is about sleeping cops then go nuts.

phone 1 year, 8 months ago

It IS for officer safety! If the officer abuses it then that is on him!!!! Don't blame the tinted glass.

mustardandbiscuit 1 year, 7 months ago

Mr. Covingtonian, How come Mrs. Covingtonian didn't have the gumption to pull in and "check on" the officer to make sure he hadn't been shot or had his throat cut? Or, at least, pick up her iPhone and call 911 and ask them to call and check him? Oh, that's right, it's not the safety thing we're worried about...it's how much we're getting for our tax money. Heck, I bet you don't even know how much of your taxes go toward police & fire protection on a yearly basis, do you? I guarantee you, it's under $100. Pretty good deal if you ask me....

Covingtonian 1 year, 7 months ago

Another example of an idiot wanting something to say just for the sake of saying something. This mustardandbiscuit character I'll guess wheres a uniform when he's not traveling with Ringling Brothers based on a past statement that's he has made which i will share by means of cutting and pasting. First let me clarify that my wife has the common sense not to awaken a "sleeping bear" in this case "kitty" as in city kitty, who knows what sort of mood he may have been in after having been awaken. Second you don't know if I didn't go and check on the officer. Finally, what does knowing how much taxes are going toward public safety have to do with a cop sleeping in his unit? Now for the cut and paste; "I've actually never seen another county in the whole state of Georgia where members of each of the 4 respective, local police agencies in Newton County despises the other?! You'd think that these so called "professionals" would quit acting like 6 year olds and realize that no one officer is more qualified or more valuable than the other and support each other instead of looking down their noses at each other. We all put our vests on the same way and have families to come home to. Last thing we need is a war. Grow up! Leadership begins at THE TOP! These buddy or your words. Note the quotation "we all put our vests on the same way:. Leave your number and the next time we see a sleeping public servant on the job I'll call Mrs. biscuit who apparently has enough gumption to wake them up. I bet you write a lot of tickets.

dennistay53 1 year, 7 months ago

Sometimes i fall asleep without trying to. I guess it's better to pull over than to have a wreck. At least they save us gas money. I had to post something on this covingtonian poll

dennistay53 1 year, 7 months ago

OK- This is so simple. You see a police officer you think maybe sleepimg. You call his department and report it. Let his fellow officiers check to see if he is sleeping, writing a report, or has health problems. You don't wait until the next citizen report. If he was sleeping he probably has woke up by then. If he is serious sick he probably has quit breathing by then. In Covington this may have been just good undercover work. Make like you sleeping and when the criminal comes up to try and rob you or steal the cat convertor off your car you got them red handed.

Personalsavior 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey peeps and bloggers guess whose nephew is behaving badly?