Synthetic marijuana mill found in home in western Newton County

COVINGTON -- Investigators with the Newton County Sheriff's Office have discovered a synthetic marijuana mill in a home in a subdivision in western Newton County, according to NCSO Public Information Officer Courtney Morrison.

Seized were approximately 3,000 small bags of the synthetic compound. Two arrests were made and more arrests and charges are pending, Morrison said.

Jasmine Renee Bevins, 24, and Heather Ditha Maddox, 25, were both at the residence when agents with the NCSO and the federal Drug Enforcement Administration went to the location at 85 Trelawney Place in the Trelawney subdivision off Brown Bridge Road. They were both charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana, misdemeanor obstruction of a law enforcement officer and possession of drug-related items.

Morrison said the discovery of the synthetic marijuana distribution came after investigators followed up on information relating to possible drug activity at the Trelawney Place house.

"Upon further inquiry investigators were able to determine that synthetic marijuana was being made and distributed from this residence," Morrison said. "The DEA will be analyzing the seized synthetics in an effort to determine if additional charges will be brought against suspects in the case."

Morrison said that on March 27 of this year, Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed into law that all forms of synthetic marijuana are now illegal in Georgia.

"It is a marijuana-like chemical compound combined with dried vegetation," she said, describing it. "Sometimes it has traces of actual marijuana in it."

Before the new law, manufacturers were able to tweak the formula for the synthetic marijuana and get around the law.

"That bill in March was designed to close that loophole," she said.

Sheriff Ezell Brown warned that his office is taking the matter of synthetic marijuana very seriously.

"Illegal manufactured synthetic marijuana is becoming a very serious concern to law enforcement and citizens alike," he said. "The Sheriff's Office is taking a zero tolerance stance against this criminal activity in an effort to better the quality of life for the citizens of Newton County."

Comments

dennistay53 2 years, 1 month ago

Way to go Ezell- Get these drugs out of our county

KimberlyD 2 years, 1 month ago

Am I the only one that finds humor in this? You gone catch a case for making fake drugs? Here's ur sign...

sabrinadawson806 2 years, 1 month ago

ok, first off its not way to go Ezell, it is way to go to the deputies that were actually there when it took place. Just because he is the sheriff doesnt mean that he actually goes on calls like this. Please quit taking credit from the deputies that put their life on the line to protect and serve this count and giving it to the sheriff that sits in his office most of the day! Second, fake drugs are just as dangerous as the real thing. People still die from overdoses and people will still rob/shoot/stab/kill others for drug money. Thanks to the deputies who went out and took care of the scum bags that were making drugs around other peoples families.

insanidee 2 years, 1 month ago

This is wrong. Quit spending resources on harmless crap like this and focus on the increase in violence, gangs, and serious drugs like meth. Marijuana is legal in almost half the country now. Stop overcrowding our jails and increasing our taxes to pay for this kind of menial stuff!!

Frustrated 2 years, 1 month ago

Evidently you havent seen the stories in the news about people using synthetic or fake marijuana and then dieing. They dont know what goes into it and what the effects are. Harmless? Ask the families of the people that have died after using it if its harmless.

John 2 years, 1 month ago

FYI "medical cannabis" is only legal in 17 United States & the D.C.- that is not close to half of the US.

will 2 years, 1 month ago

It should be legal in all 50 states. Its natural and its not near as bad as alcohol. I would rather deal with a person thats high on pot than drunk on alcohol. Pot should be legal but then the politicians would loose a source of income. All you oldtimers need to open your minds alittle bit, its not that big of a deal.

John 2 years, 1 month ago

will, your vote to legalize "the weed" is still in the minority.
For me I say no, as I would not rather be driving with someone high on weed or booze - neither one has a clear vision of what they are doing while driving a 3500+ lb. vehicle. By the way booze comes from "natural" ingredients too - malt, hops, grapes, barley, rice, potatoes, etc. etc. But there are 17 states you can go to for "medical" weed or Denmark. But it's also true that when you're young and your body is still growing, marijuana actually has the potential of inflicting a long-lasting, negative impact on your developing brain. By the way here are some negative effects of "weed" Using marijuana at a young age can result in structural and functional deficits of the brain. This could cause you to develop weakened verbal and communication skills, lowered learning capabilities and a shortened attention span. In addition to the possible effects on your brain, smoking marijuana may also be hazardous to your developing lungs. Marijuana smoke contains 50% to 70% more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke.

insanidee 2 years, 1 month ago

OMG, you're right. Synthetic is really bad. Thank you, Frustrated, for kindly correcting me and not being a jerk about it. I'm glad they caught it before it was sold to someone.

I stand by my belief in the natural, god-given plant though. If it weren't outlawed, people would not have been looking for an alternative in the first place. That's the story so often, isn't it? That when it comes to things we put in our body: Natural = good; Synthetic = bad.

I agree w/the comment above about it being congrats to the deputies, and not Ezell. The sheriff, well, I'm just not impressed at all. I've spoken to him personally several times about things in my neighborhood and he was like a deer in headlights, and it didn't require him recalling any information. All he had to do was listen, make me feel heard, and then follow-up on what he said he was going to do. He didn't. I'm not voting for him in the general election. The point of this post isn't political though, so "that's all I have to say about that."

insanidee 2 years, 1 month ago

You're right! My bad. I can't reply. We'll see if this get there. I'm tired of re-writing this over and over.....

dennistay53 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes, good job deputies. But i stand by my statement of good job Ezell as well. He convinced me during his last campaign that he would be serious about getting drugs off the street in Newton County. who they hurtYou have to have a sheriff who goes after drug dealers and he has shown me that he has and will. You also have to have a sheriff who will go after the resourses needed to get this job done. I believe he has. You have to have a sheriff who knows how to work with other drug enforcement agencies. I believe he is well respected by these. I am a republican voter most of the time. But if i have to call for help i am not going to ask if he is a republican or democrat before i let him help me. Drugs kill. Why would ANYONE want to put something in their body made by people who are after one thing- to make money and care nothing about who they hurt. They kill people and society.

Blog entries