Attorney attempts to settle with former AHS employee

COVINGTON -- Kevin Dockery, a former teacher at Alcovy High School, said he received an email on his personal email account Monday from attorney Stephanie Lindsey's email address informing him that he could be named in the defamation lawsuit of LaQuanda Carpenter v. Jeff Meadors, unless he settles beforehand.

"Based upon information we have obtained thus far, we anticipate naming you in this lawsuit," the email to Dockery reads. "As a courtesy, I would like to extend to you an opportunity to discuss a confidential settlement of this matter."

If Dockery or his attorney did not contact her office by noon Tuesday, the email said Lindsey would schedule a deposition for him at 2 p.m. Aug. 28 in her office in Covington.

Dockery, who taught at Alcovy for four years and now lives five hours away in Tennessee, said he didn't respond by the deadline because of the short notice and his business with the new school year beginning for him.

"I don't yet know how I will respond to all of this. I am disappointed that they waited until school started to begin pulling people away from their jobs as educators to address this nonsense, when they had all summer to deal with it," Dockery said. "I don't exactly have time to be dealing with something that, quite frankly, is an unfortunate annoyance."

He would be deposed for the suit, which involves Alcovy High School LaQuanda Carpenter claiming defamation against Newton County Board of Education Vice Chair Jeff Meadors. Carpenter claims that Meadors has made false statements about her on the Newton Citizen website under pseudonyms or gave information obtained through his capacity as a board member to others who made the comments.

Meadors, who previously was sent a cease and desist letter, has denied these claims and has yet to be deposed.

In June, Lindsey also sent Dockery a cease and desist letter via his email to stop posting defamatory and slanderous comments referencing Carpenter and her husband Dennis, who is deputy superintendent of Operations at NCSS.

"I remain adamant that I did nothing wrong and would ask that Mrs. Lindsey send me evidence of wrongdoing, clear evidence of any libel and subsequent damages that she claims has resulted from it, and how or why she believes I am involved," Dockery said. "I would rather not deal with hearsay and emailed threats of litigation and would instead prefer to deal with facts."

In the suit, Carpenter is seeking to recover punitive damages, court costs and attorney fees, as well as "special damages" suffered as a result of "malicious injuries" to her profession and general damages she has incurred as a result of the defendants' "malicious acts and omissions," both in an amount to be determined by a jury, according to the suit.

Originally, 11 "John Does" were named in the suit,, alleging that they made defamatory statements on the Citizen website, and on Thursday, Lindsey filed a motion to dismiss all "John Does," leaving Meadors in the suit.

Lindsey did not return an email inquiry seeking comment as of presstime Tuesday.

Comments

UGAFan 1 year, 11 months ago

Lord have mercy!!!!! Stephanie Lindsey and LaQuanda Carpenter....ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!! GET OVER IT! You both are now looking like money hungry people.

Funbags78 1 year, 11 months ago

You know what I don't understand about the whole thing if LC is wanting to recover punitive damages from the get go then why let the bloggers off so easy I mean the claim Shannon black is nothing but a liar so why was she never party to the suit. Also is merely the fact that she wanted ms black to rat out meadors and Dockery to beable to recovery the money for damages. There is something definatley strange here.

Mr Dockery and Mr Meadors I think it is a wise idea to just counter sue and get on with it. You all have done nothing wrong. What this boils down to is this she doesn't like the fact both of you will fight and she seems to be a person that takes things to heart even if it is opinion and fact. Don't stop fighting it prove your points and move on but Mr Dockery I agree with you she needs to show you proof of wrong doing not he said she said.

OnToday 1 year, 11 months ago

This county suffers from a serious lack of leadership. He is right, why wait until now? School has started and Alcovy has serious needs. She waited because Lindsey was running for judge all summer. This is sad. A judge needs to toss this, which is what NCSS should have done.

SharonBlock 1 year, 11 months ago

This man did nothing wrong.  He can say what he wants no matter who likes it.  He can cuss about her and dis her.  She is a principal so GROW UP LADY or get the heck out of the kichen.  Alcovy High School has fights that go unreported.  A very very bad situation took place last year in the  woods and teachers were told a lie.  They were told that the arrests were made and later learned they were not.  Alcovy High has the highest number of fights, food fights, taser issues, gangs, break ins to student cars and arrests.  You have to be in our building to know how many go UNREPORTED.  Teachers overheard someone in the building say "Tear up those referrrals or just ignore them."

Satan69 1 year, 11 months ago

I do not get it.  Why does the Newton Superior Court allow this lawyer who thank the Lord lost her election - how do they let her just run wild like a banchee on this stuff.  She was not supposed to invite the Covington News and she coerced and intimidated Black.  The whole deposition should be found in contempt of court it was  nothing but theatrics and no paper of any quality would have engaged in this.  The Covington News has devolved to garbage and filth.   The Citizen is party to the suit so they had a right to be there but you did not see MIchelle Floyd writing a bunch of garbage. . I cannot STAND the Covington News especiall after how they treated the ford dealership.

Frustrated 1 year, 11 months ago

and who allowed them to video the deposition? I said it before and I will say it again..Lindsey was just grandstanding and bullying Ms Black. Its not about money its all about bullying people.

Iknowddatsright 1 year, 11 months ago

If Alcovy High School under the leadership of LaQuanda  Brown Carpenter who never  ever led a high school or a middle school before her current husband hired her to run Alcovy would pay attention to her graduation rate maybe that would be better than bothering this teacher.  Mr. Dockery may have had a falling out with her - who hasn't?  But he is one of the top teachers I have ever met.  The very best.  If LaQuanda's graduation rates dips 4% points for the next 2 years then Alcovy High will become a priority school.  Pathetic.

Jugsapoppin 1 year, 11 months ago

Dang this principal must be a nightmare.  Falling outs with one after the next.  Teachers subs secretaries bd members parents one falling out after the next.  Why does no one have a clue? Oh I forgot look at your school board.  The downfall of NCSS is the top leadership who won't remove her  but wait she is married to one.

sunshine 1 year, 11 months ago

Whew! i barely have time to read this story anymore since i am having to relocate, packing and house hunting, because of all the issues at Alcovy. I have a choice to pay for private school for the next 4 years or move out of the county so that my kid can get an education and participate in the sports and all the good things that highschool has to offer! he absolutely refuses to go to Alcovy. The sacrifices that i am having to make because no one can get a grib on this highschool! Thanks for nothing and making my life harder!

HonestAbe 1 year, 11 months ago

No suit yet filed on Dockery. She asks for money from him and threats if he doesn't pay. I heard the word for this on Perry Mason but can't think what it is. But it ain't good

OnToday 1 year, 11 months ago

Extortion? Ransom? Bribery? I don't know, I can think of a few choice words.

dennistay53 1 year, 11 months ago

This is quite simple. She,they, them, want Meadors off the BOE. He is the only one on the board who want go along with their crazy spending and who brings up problems within the school system. They don't like the fact that he writes for this paper thus having an avenue that might bring out their bad habits. They want to belittle him by using anyone and anything they can. If they had a mission statement it would be- We want Jeff Meadors off the school board and will use anything or anybody to get that done.Now if there was a way to dispostion Lindsey where she would have to tell the truth under oath, you would learn a lot. Most of the time no comment means that if i speak i will have to lie.

dennistay53 1 year, 11 months ago

Go read Meadors latest article in this paper. I think you will see why they want him off the school board. He speaks the truth so they can't attack that. The truth hurts

dennistay53 1 year, 11 months ago

If they are successful in pushing Meadors off the BOE this is what happens. The 4 board members will choose who takes his seat until the 2014 election. (not the voters). District 1 is a conservative district and is the only district they can't get who they want by the vote of the people. For two years they will have total control of the BOE to do as they please. If i was a conservative voter in the 1st district i would be standing with him right now or you will have your BOE representative picked for you for the next two years.

CLM72 1 year, 11 months ago

This may sound crazy (I am no lawyer...), but is email from an attorney considered an appropriate or acceptable method of communication for this type of legal concern? Seems illegitimate to me...Where is E Wendell Clamp when you need him??? This business needs to be nipped in the bud!

BonitaAlma7 1 year, 11 months ago

Just wondering if Ms Lindsey is a fantastic lawyer...since most days lawyers devote little time to cases...or is this the only case she is handling now because no one wants her services....hmm?

Satan69 1 year, 11 months ago

@ Dennis

Your absolutely right that's why they want meadors off the board cause the truth does hurt. The thing is he is the only one telling the truth and they can't stand that but what do you expect from people who take everything as a personal attack. It is a shame that this suit has gone on this long and all the things happening in between just sorry.

I ask this question if their is nothing going on and there is nothing to hide why are they fighting this so hard or is it that the lies are now surfacing and they can't stand it?

Silverbullet 1 year, 11 months ago

Meadows deserves an award for his efforts. Seems to me it is the other school board members who should be pushed off for taking no action on this issue. I dont know him but he must be quite a guy to buck the system and be a whistle blower. I read Mr. Carpenter was looking for work elsewhere. It may be tough for us to get rid of him by his own volition when the word gets out about him hiring his wife who has created a situation which would most likely not be tolerated by any other school system. A question for the Newton County School Board; Why are they allowed to continue to be employed here?

Wildwomanoftigertown 1 year, 11 months ago

@bonitaAlma

No she is a horrible she doesn't know the difference between trial or a hearing. I will tell you not some one I would recommend to anyone.

Talk about shady. Well that's it her law firm. What they are doing and did to Ms Black, Mr Dockery and Jeff Meadors is just horrible they all three need to countersue for bullying and intimidation. Especially Ms Black about her deposition.

So in answer to your question. HORRIBLE !!!!

But that's my opinion let me make that clear.

ontomorrow 1 year, 11 months ago

Silver bullet

I would like to know why they are able to still be employed there as well. I mean I don't really think like you said that no other school system would tolerate this kind of thing, it is a shame. Also it looks to me like we either have a super who is scared of DC or just doesn't care how he makes this school system look, we are the laughing stock of georgia and this law suit is making it worse blaming board members and pointing fingers here and there. To be perfectly honest they have pointed in so many directions I think they are confused. Poor Mr Dockery lives in Tennessee and they are trying to make deals with him and he is trying to do the right thing where it matters most and they shut the door in his face. This whole thing has gotten so far out of hand if I were either one of the carpenters I would be embarrassed at my behaviors.

Mrs Lindsey should be embarrassed as well.

LOVINGLIFE 1 year, 11 months ago

It sure would be nice if Alcovy Highschool had a leader that would focus on the job at hand. The parents of the children of this school are growing very weary of all of this. It is a total embarassment !!!!

BrentLuNae 1 year, 11 months ago

Yall are just fussing so much about this. From where I sit, I don't think the people hurt by this can do anything else. Just ride it out and pray. God will handle all wrongdoings.

SharonBlock 1 year, 11 months ago

Well well well.  All I can say is this:  Would you hire him or anyone who sues everyone?  No.  Read the update from Jacksonville.  Not picked for Butts, Jackson, Peach, Duval, Leeds . . . . . any ideas?   http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2012-08-16/story/5-semifinalists-selected-duval-superintendent

OnToday 1 year, 11 months ago

He needs to stop going for the big jobs and just start over somewhere else as an assistant super. But that is just my opinion! At this point everyone is going to know about the lawsuit and the baggage that is coming along with it so he is better off just aiming lower for now.