Mississippi school board to make superintendent decision Tuesday

COVINGTON -- A Mississippi school board is expected to decide Tuesday if a Newton County School System's deputy superintendent will be its next lead superintendent.

The Jackson Public Schools' Board of Trustees expects to visit Newton County on Monday to interview individuals about Dr. Dennis Carpenter, deputy superintendent for Operations at NCSS.

Peggy Hampton, director of Media Relations at JPS, said Wednesday that the board isn't expected to release the names of individuals they plan to question next week.

Originally, the board had planned to visit Georgia earlier this month, but some board members' schedules conflicted until now, Hampton had said. They visited the home school system of fellow finalist Cedrick Gray, superintendent of schools for Fayette County, Tenn., earlier this week.

Hampton said the school board is expected to make a decision on the candidates Tuesday. The board hasn't set a time yet for the meeting, but usually they meet at 5:30 p.m. CST, she said.

She said the decision may be yay or nay on the candidates.

"Of course, there's always the possibility that they decide neither," Hampton added. "I have heard no indication of that, but it's certainly an option."

The two finalists were chosen from a pool of 71 applicants using a national search firm, Ray and Associates. Earlier this month, the two finalists visited Jackson to meet with the board and community members.

JPS has 30,000 students, compared to about 19,000 in NCSS. It's made up of eight high schools, 12 middle schools, 39 elementary schools and two special schools.

Carpenter was hired as associate superintendent for Human Resources at NCSS in February 2008 after working as assistant superintendent for Support Services for Appling County Schools and a fourth-grade teacher, assistant principal and principal before that. He was named deputy superintendent for Operations in July 2009, when Deborah Robertson retired as associate superintendent of business and administration; he oversees the directors of Operational Services, Human Resources and Support Services, as well as the business manager, maintenance coordinator and School Nutrition Program coordinator.

Carpenter is the husband of Dr. LaQuanda Carpenter, the principal at Alcovy High School.

Comments

Satan69 2 years, 7 months ago

Given The Reputation of this guy right now. All I have to say sure good luck my friend. It is too ad that they must ponder this so long. Anybody say second thoughts? I do.

amp72 2 years, 7 months ago

I think his rep is exactly why they are taking so long. I agree, good luck. And God help us.

Megirl 2 years, 7 months ago

Looks like we are stuck with him a while longer. Jackson has decided he hasn't turned around a struggling system. Uh duh. Jackson paper reports parents did like, past board members do not like, community does not like. Can we handle this one more year?

Littlemissmuffett 2 years, 7 months ago

Well ya know Megirl when you have a school that has riots every other day and food fights, kids being arressted and the system going to crap and you haven't done anything to turn it around I take it that I wouldn't expect to be top choice. I know I would be very upset as a parent if was in fact choosen because looking at the background if that doesn't speak for itself, then bring it to another district and corrupt them as well. OH NO WAY. You hadn't done a thing to help AHS and they are in need but wifey works there and she is such a great ADMIN that she needs an award. Sure he needs to correct the problem. To answer your question we absolutley cannot stand this another year. This is horrible.

Serious help is needed.

amp72 2 years, 7 months ago

Three fights at Alcovy just this week.

spdracer90 2 years, 7 months ago

I seriously doubt Mr. Carpenter will be chosen by Mississippi--too bad for us! Given his lack of performance with NCSS, I cannot fathom another school system wanting him. Regardless, I will say another prayer and keep my fingers crossed that the Carpenters are heading west. NCSS cannot take much more-we need some serious leadership with real results. If this doesn't happen soon it may just be too late.

amp72 2 years, 7 months ago

Too many negative things said on here. I think we need an illegal secret meeting with all of you to urge you to stop writing. Signed, The Newton Co Board of Education.

Funbags78 2 years, 7 months ago

I think your right amp we need to have an illegal secret meeting. However all the things that are being said are unfortunatley the truth, and I know sometimes the truth hurts. Oh do you think we can get someone to pray for us before the meeting to? Cause we need praise for this school system to get better.

JoanD 2 years, 7 months ago

I think that 3 fights a week is too much come on really? I just can't understand it. spdracer it is already to late for somethings. However if we could get on of our fearless leaders to get some help and possibly get the ball rolling. I mean one person to can start it but everyone needs help. Again maybe we need a secret meeting for that too. So we can talk secretly about how to fix AHS amongst many many other things. Well its not to late for everything but it has gotten seriously out of control.

Beautifulblueeyes 2 years, 7 months ago

i just love board members who micromanage my buildilng - hey vote someone NEW in on the west side of town will ya why is no one running against the village crazies

Calisweetheart 2 years, 7 months ago

If we had real leadership at Alcovy High we would not be spending taxpayer dollars on all of the security and protection required and the SROs. They are breaking into cars, getting arrested, texting in class and teachers are leaving faster than the buses at bus call. No one is doing anything about it and it is now the worst performing school in the county so how does a top leader in any other business keep his or her job with those results.