Henderson serving jail time for contempt of court

COVINGTON - District 4 Commissioner J.C. Henderson has been serving a jail sentence for a contempt of court charge related to non-compliance with a court-ordered juvenile program for his son.

Henderson has been serving an 80-hour jail sentence in 10-hour increments for "quite a while," he said. Henderson along with his wife, Sandy, was sentenced for contempt of court by Rockdale County Juvenile Court Judge William Schneider, who was called in to handle the case due to Henderson's status in the community as an elected official.

The contempt of court charge stems from Henderson not taking one of his sons to a court-mandated juvenile program. The matter dates back to 2010, according to Henderson. He said he has been serving his time for in 10-hour increments about every two months.

"If I'm going to jail over something I had no control over and I know I didn't do anything wrong, I don't mind going to jail," he said.

Henderson said he could not make his son attend the juvenile program as ordered. At the time a student at Eastside High School, Henderson said his son would leave school and would not be present after school when he was picked up to attend the program.

"We couldn't get him there on time because we didn't know where he was at," Henderson said.

"I, like most parents, don't have control of my children. I can tell him and he can stop and listen for a minute, but he will do exactly what he wants to do. You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink," he added.

Henderson said he is nearly finished serving his jail time. He said he did not know his wife's sentence. At the jail, "I specifically requested that I didn't want special treatment and I don't," he said. "I'm no better than anybody else."

Authorities with Newton County Juvenile Court would not release documents regarding the contempt of court charge against Henderson, citing an exemption of juvenile court proceedings under the Open Records Act.

Henderson said he has five sons. Henderson said the child in question is not his stepson, Quintarious Henderson, who has been arrested multiple times. In January 2010 Quintarious Henderson was arrested and charged with aggravated stalking after he violated a court order to stay away from the residence of the then-12-year-old girl. Those charges were reduced to criminal trespass. Quintarious Henderson was also arrested in March 2011 and charged with terroristic threats and acts in connection with threats he made against the family of the young girl.

J.C. Henderson was arrested in October 2009 and charged with battery under the Family Violence Act, a misdemeanor, after an alleged family fight. The charge was later dropped because there was insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Henderson struck his wife, according to Marsha Cole, senior assistant district attorney for the Piedmont Judicial Circuit, who handled the case. Cole said Henderson's wife refused to pursue the case.

"The state is not convinced that the injury to Mrs. Henderson was merely an accident and is not convinced J.C. Henderson had no part in striking his wife or otherwise directly causing injury to her mouth," Cole said in October 2011. But, she noted, "In a case such as this, the cooperation of the victim is essential."

Henderson said this time, he was taking a stand against a juvenile court system that isn't working.

"The bottom line is I was just so tired of the system that has a glitch in it. They lock up our children instead of providing services they really need for them to do better, to be more successful in life, and I just decided to take a stand," he said. "I said I'd rather go to jail and sit in jail in order to bring attention to a very serious problem we have concerning our kids. I said, 'I'll go to jail and whatever they want to say about me, it's fine.'"

Comments

John 2 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like J.C. is just making up stuff to cover up his lack of parenting skills and responsibilities. We have 4 children, all over the age of 25 now, and we had control over them, knew where they were, what they were doing, when they will be home - of course, this freedom was not allowed until any & all home work/studying was done and when they stretched the boundaries of our rules there were consequences - simply privileges were taken away. Maybe we are not like "most" parents but our kids turned out just fine and they still respect us. Oh! We didn't look to others to help us with our responsibilities.

KimberlyD 2 years, 4 months ago

What a pitiful excuse for a parent. Well we couldn't make him go. Puh-lease.

LE4LIFE 2 years, 4 months ago

You would think that Henderson could atleast place blame where blame is due. First its his child out roaming the streets and then it is the "glitch" in the juvenile court. Then he has taken several months to serve an 80 hour sentence when most people have to serve their weekends every weekend until done. You say treat me the same well go on up to Rockdale and check yourself in and finish it. Oh I forgot You are a county commissioner and expect to be treated different.

Frustrated 2 years, 4 months ago

He cant control his juvenile aged son but he thinks he can run the county? No wonder he had Mort thinking for him...you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him think...errr drink.

maxieboy0797 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh my goodness. We have a commissioner deciding he disagrees with the law so he just won't follow it. Just down the street, we have school board chairman holding illegal meetings to try to railroad one of their own. This county is in such big trouble. We need law abiding leaders elected to serve the people of Newton County.

HonestAbe 2 years, 4 months ago

Bet the former Gov of illinois wished he lived in Newton County ga so he could serve his sentence as he wished to. Wonder how many normal citizens would be allowed to serve their time in this matter? Bet Bobby Sigman wouldn't be allowed this luxary. What an embarresment to the citzens of this county this person and this this court system has to be.

Billy 2 years, 4 months ago

Why is this person in elected office? If you can't properly run your household, who are you to be in authority over an entire county??? The ultra low standards that pass for acceptable parenting these days are the reasons for criminal activity. Someone needs to control children; either you do it via a proper upbringing or the criminal justice system will do it for you... You're not going to do anything you want in life without consequences. It's hard to learn that once you're grown. That's why the jails are jammed full of people like the son of this commissioner, who either has no shame or worse, no common sense. What a world!

Covingtonian 2 years, 4 months ago

My God man, were you really serious with your comment " I, like most parents, don't have control of my children. I can tell him and he can stop and listen for a minute, but he will do exactly what he wants to do. You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink," Obviously you have lost control of your household and you are supoosedly a man of God, two scriptures readily come to mind, Proverbs 22:6 and Ephesians 6:4. Besides that, I am a parent and will acknowledge that children sometimes want to assert themselves but, if they are raised with principles and sometimes tough love which includes punishment or corporal punishment "from infancy" much of the problems in later years can be averted. Even then some will want to do their own thing, that's when they can be asked to do it in their own place along with clothing and feeding themselves. Mr.Commissioner you need to resign from office so that you can get your house in order because God will hold you accountable. I'm praying for you, I think all Christians in the county should and your constituents need to take notice.

Calisweetheart 2 years, 4 months ago

Dear JC, Ima send sister BOE prayer girl flower mama down to the jailhouse to rock a little prayer your way.

Beautifulblueeyes 2 years, 4 months ago

All's I can say is if you don't have control of your children there is problem a big one. Since when did it become a world of MY CHILDREN CONTROL ME? I have never in my life heard such a crock of bull. I myself am a parent as well and I don't have to beat my child to get the point across to them that they will respect people and not talk back but if they do decide to take that route Mama don't play that. Whoop that tail.

I call it laziness when you don't discipline your children and I call it sorry when you just don't try. If you don't want children you shouldn't have them. It is a shame because when they grow up acting out then go to jail for little nit picky things and it all stems from no structure and not being a parent and PARENTING. What a Shame

imjustsayin 2 years, 4 months ago

Shame on you folks..here is a man that is trying to be a father to 5 children and you think he is capable of "controlling" what a young teen does ALL of the time? I read that he was and is actively trying to do what is expected and go a little beyond that, but when a defiant teen fights you the entire way, how can that be accomplished? JC is a man that is not afraid to stand up for what he believes and will speak his opinion whether it is received by others or not. Personally, I admire someone that will do that and is not a puppet being controlled by others... KUDOS JC !!!!!!!!

Frustrated 2 years, 4 months ago

when I was a teen my parents contolled me and if I acted out and didnt do what I was supposed to I paid the price not them.

KimberlyD 2 years, 4 months ago

Your rationale is why we have teens out in the wee hours, drinking and driving and killing people. Excuses don't raise children but good hard discipline does. I knew better than to pull some crap like his sons have because I didn't want to get in trouble with my parents and god forbid the police but ol' poor ol' JC can't control his children. Poor poor pitiful me. Yes, you can control teens and noone made the choice to have 5 kids but him and his children's mother...

Kodaanddylansmom 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes shame on us.. I really don't think anyone is saying that he can control a defiant teen all the time but maybe you should watch how you word things if you don't want them perceived that way. Yes teens in general will fight you all the way not just his everyone's so does that mean???????? That's wonderful he is not afraid to stand up for what he believes in Awesome. What does that have to do with the raising of his children?

Let's face it no one is a perfect parent no one but that doesn't mean let your children grow up to be heathens. You see you can speak on what you believe in but trying to do it in court isn't going to work.

imjustsayin 2 years, 4 months ago

Tell me....is the issue here parental ability or county commissioner ability? Why should he run the county? No wonder Mort is thinking for him?

No one is a perfect parent, but for someone that is trying, why all the judgement?

maxieboy0797 2 years, 4 months ago

Imjustsayin....I don't even know how to respond to your "logic". Let's summarize..First JC himself is arrested and charged with battery. Now there is an example for his 5 sons to follow. Then his son is arrest ONE time for aggravated stalking and just a little of a year later he is arrest AGAIN for making terroristic threats. How does JC handle this? He decides the system let his son down, not that his son did something wrong. TERRORISTIC THREATS. They should have provided services to help him do better. MAN that's JC's job! So what does he do. This is where it all goes the wrong direction. He decides rather than encouraging his son to suffer the consequences of his action as the law requires like a man and put his life in order... he will just go to jail to protest mistreatment of his son. As a father and an elected public official, he made a conscious decision to break the law. That's where he disgraced his son, himself, and his elected office. Now that's really going to help his son learn right from wrong. Our schools are "providing services" every day to children just like JC Henderson's. Children that are taught by their parents if you don’t want to do what your teacher asks of you just refuse. Wouldn't it have been wiser to teach him how to make better decisions or try to change the system in the proper way. Did that ever cross his mind? What does this have to do with his commissioner job. EVERYTHING. This man has proven over the last 3 years that he makes poor decisions. He is not going to make that many poor decisions at home and then go to his commissioner job and become the seat of wisdom. Nobody is that amazing.

HickoryHill 2 years, 4 months ago

The sad thing ihe has been in office MORE than 3 years. There has been some sort of controversy with him for as long as I can remember. Yet, his constituents keep re-electing him. Reminds me of Marion Berry, former mayor of DC. He was arrested & served time on drug charges. Then, later on, was re-elected! Unbelievable!!! Logic in its purist form!

spdracer90 2 years, 4 months ago

It sounds like someone needs to get their house in order. When I was a teen I knew what the boundaries were with my parents and I knew what would happen if I crossed those boundaries. It is called parenting. To say you are not in control of your teenager is pure laziness or just a pathetic excuse. Yes teenagers will test you but it is a parent's job to draw the line. Sounds like someone needed some good old fashioned military school. But no, instead let him get out of his court ordered punishment--brilliant. This shows there is no consequences. Bottom line-if you can't run your own household then you definitely can't help run the county!

jwm1955 2 years, 4 months ago

This is why the younger generation depends on the government to give them a hand out, parents do not want to be resposible for raising their children right, and the parents lazy. Now we know why Newton County is in the shape it is finacialy, a commissior who wants to give money away. When are we as citizens in Newton County going to elect people that are resposible. This is why we have the problems we have in school because the parents are not taking the kids to the wood shed to give them the board of education. My opionion J.C. needs to grow up as does his children.

Insdiejob2012 2 years, 4 months ago

is this the henderson that the boe woman henderson said YOU LIE at the meeting - is this the same peeps?

momofone 2 years, 4 months ago

There has got to be more to the story than he is telling. I mean come on-seriously? If he was calling and reporting that his son was not where he was supposed to be and he was doing everything in his power to make sure that court orders were followed, why would they lock both he and his wife up? And he does not think that he is getting special treatment? Name one person (other than his wife I would bet) that is being allowed to only serve 10 hour increments about every two months? WTF? He needs to serve his time and get it over with. If this is a contempt from 2010, why is he just now talking about it? And why on God's green Earth would you call the papers and tell them about it?