Carpenter up for Mississippi superintendent position

COVINGTON — One of the Newton County School System’s deputy superintendents is up for a lead superintendent position in Mississippi.

Dr. Dennis Carpenter, deputy superintendent for Operations at NCSS, is one of two finalists for the superintendent position at Jackson Public Schools in Jackson, Miss., according to the JPS website.

The JPS Board of Trustees announced the finalists Tuesday. The other finalist is Dr. Cedrick Gray, superintendent of schools for the Fayette County, Tenn., school system.

The two finalists were chosen from a pool of 71 applicants using a national search firm, Ray and Associates. William Newman, the national executive director, said Carpenter came highly recommended by NCSS Superintendent Gary Mathews and his background investigation was clear, allowing him to be suggested to the board in Jackson for interviews.

The school system is looking for “a strong communicator … committed to a ‘student first’ philosophy … and models high standards of integrity … (with) knowledge of emerging research and best practice … (and) able to delegate authority appropriately while maintaining accountability (and) is able to identify and select building and central office administrators who are capable of advancing the district vision,” according to the search flyer.

Carpenter and Gray are expected to be in Jackson on April 11 for additional interviews and two community events, including a meeting with the superintendent search community advisory committee and a forum with the general public, according to the JPS website.

The interim superintendent for JPS is Dr. Jayne Sargent, who came out of her retirement in July after working as superintendent in the system from 1997 to 2002. The board did not renew the contact of the previous superintendent, Lonnie Edwards, after three years, and the system set up a 26-member search committee in October.

JPS representatives did not announce a timeline to select a superintendent, but according to the search firm, the chosen candidate would begin July 1, 2012.

JPS has 30,000 students, compared to about 19,000 in NCSS. It’s made up of eight high schools, 12 middle schools, 39 elementary schools and two special schools.

Carpenter declined to comment Tuesday.

Carpenter was hired as associate superintendent for Human Resources at NCSS in February 2008 after working as assistant superintendent for Support Services for Appling County Schools and a fourth-grade teacher, assistant principal and principal before that. He was named deputy superintendent for Operations in July 2009, when Deborah Robertson retired as associate superintendent of business and administration; he oversees the directors of Operational Services, Human Resources and Support Services, as well as the business manager, maintenance coordinator and School Nutrition Program coordinator.

In October 2009, Carpenter completed the Georgia School Superintendents Association’s Superintendent Professional Development Program, a two-year course of study to prepare individuals for local superintendent positions.

In July 2010, the national Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development selected Carpenter as one of 30 educators in the nation for its 2010 class of Emerging Leaders. The program prepares young, ambitious educators to fulfill ASCD leadership roles and empower each cohort to make an impact on education policy and practice on a local and national level.

Carpenter is the husband of Dr. LaQuanda Carpenter, the principal at Alcovy High School.

Comments

amp72 2 years, 6 months ago

This dude can't wait to get out of here! And we can't wait either.

Satan69 2 years, 6 months ago

So this guy wants out well let's roll out the red carpet and give him a first class ticket to freedom. Then we can have a big party to say farewell we will all miss you so much. Don't forget to write.

Blueeyeddevil 2 years, 6 months ago

There is HOPE at the end of the tunnel. Please hire him.

We can take back NCSS.

mgh1966 2 years, 6 months ago

hey guys stop writing negitive things about him. They may be looking at the local paper to see what he is like. I am going to miss himm. LOL

mgh1966 2 years, 6 months ago

You think he will need a bus driver. May be he will hire King Eddie.

John 2 years, 6 months ago

Don't get your hopes up just yet - last year he was one of the 3 finalist for the Superintendent job in Peach County, GA & didn't make it. But this time he has a 50/50 chance vs a 1 in 3 unless he won't accept the position unless his spouse gets a "good" job too!.

amp72 2 years, 6 months ago

Nah, he'll just get the job and then she'll suddenly get a job in the county.

Littlemissmuffett 2 years, 6 months ago

I live across the skreet from Juvenile High. It has been so nice to have spring break there is no chicken in my yard and no pizza thrown at my house this week.

Wildwomanoftigertown 2 years, 6 months ago

I am a teacher and I am tired of being told who I can and cannot talk to. The CONFLICT OF INTEREST that DOES exist central office hash hurt teachers and staff. When they have grievances against the VERY unfair practices and violations of district policy at the Alcovy High they are not treated the same or hidden under the rug. We have lost high quality teachers staff and counselors since she came on board by the droves.

SilentOne 2 years, 6 months ago

Let's hope he gets the job & takes his wife with him. Maybe then a competent & supportive principal will be hired.

Satan69 2 years, 6 months ago

I will clean every board members house and landscape they yard if they will write him a WONDERFUL letter of recommendation.

Frustrated 2 years, 6 months ago

I have nothing against someone trying to better themselves but if he puts himself out there time and time again..let him go!!

mgh1966 2 years, 6 months ago

I will rent a uhall any body got any extra boxes

kiwanisauditor 2 years, 6 months ago

I hear ya mgh 1966 i will go in half with you if we can this clown out of here.

Jugsapoppin 2 years, 6 months ago

Frustrated we all feel your pain and we all agree that this guy needs a one way ticket out of dodge. You are right there is nothing at all wrong with someone wanting to better themselves but he is a joke and if Mississippi wants him we won't fight to much. It is to bad he made a fool out of NCSS. A real shame.

spdracer90 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh please, please, pretty please Mississippi hire him! It is apparent he wants out--can't handle all the negative feedback eh?? Let him and his wifey become someone's else problem! You know what they say-don't let the door hit you in the ___ on the way out!!!!

Kodaanddylansmom 2 years, 6 months ago

I have to second that motion spdracer. I hope that good ole MIssissippi wants to take on his so many great qualities so be it. I think they might be oh so thrilled with his performance. Yes, let's let him and the wifey becme someone else's headache. I'm sure the BOE would love him and welcome him with open arms.

Calisweetheart 2 years, 6 months ago

Let's hope the CLARION LEDGER does not read any of this.

Megirl 2 years, 6 months ago

Well the Clarion Ledger is reporting that the Jackson Public Schools board of education wants to visit Newton County. This should be fun

gomab1 2 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if his 90 day plan is the same one he had for opening the career academy- that turned into a 780 day plan.

amp72 2 years, 6 months ago

"Yes, we would like to visit some schools in the county, especially the high school where your wife is the principal."

"Ummm, yeah, well the thing of it is......I tell you what, they are doing some really great things over at Eastside High School.... why don't we go check that school out instead!"

Truckermother 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh Amp I hear that loud and clear. So is your wife doing good things over there? Well at the the moment everyone refers to it as Prison 36 and they have daily food fights, oh and not to mention taser training instead of PE. So if you consider that educational then yes absolutley.

Moving on.

Kodaanddylansmom 2 years, 6 months ago

Rascoe asked me is the school board attorney sposed to be meeting with a board member in the parking lot outside the boe who is late to the prayer meeting? I thought the school board atty meets with the whole board on litigation and legal. Why the parking lot stuff who is hiding what from us?

Megirl 2 years, 6 months ago

He stole that work on work from me. Show us how it works. Bah hah hah instructional leader bah hah hah

Satan69 2 years, 6 months ago

Ha they are laughing too in JPS. It's harder to lose it than to get it back. We have to work on the work. It is startling. Needs a PR remake

Satan69 2 years, 6 months ago

I am an instructional leader first? Huh? In what lifetime has this ever been true. In 4th grade?

man1930 2 years, 6 months ago

for you who find it stressful to work @ ALCOVY HIGH SCHOOL transfers are available. Surely if there was " SUBSTANCE" to your complaints you would officially file on, if not YOU TOO are part of the problem. This kind of WHINING comes from **SLACKERS ! !"

amp72 2 years, 6 months ago

Filing for a transfer is not that easy. First of all, there has to be a destination for the person wanting to transfer. Second of all, the transfer has to be approved. I know several teachers who have filed multiple times and were denied for whatever reason. Trust me, there is "substance" to their complaints. Heck, read about it in the paper! The place is a zoo and that lack of control makes it impossible for those people to properly do their jobs. That's it, blame the teachers for being part of the problem when they have NO control to fix things. Get a clue man1930. Enough people have left AHS in the past three years to indicate there is a real problem.

Satan69 2 years, 6 months ago

Yep sounds like conflict of interest is the real problem from Alcovy to central - all systems down while students are not even able to meet with counselors at this school everyone is looking for jobs or gone on trips - I hope Boardwatch is looking at this school when graduation times come around.

amp72 2 years, 6 months ago

Bad news from Jackson. Word is they are not happy with either candidate, but especially Carpenter. Apparently people were upset before, and now even more after they read articles and comments in this newspaper. Apparently they were not impressed with his public forum or the fact that people here are ready to move him on.

Wildwomanoftigertown 2 years, 6 months ago

Did they both take their own leave time and pay their own way to Jackson Mississippi or did taxpayers in Newton pay any of this or lose any daytime work hours of labor due to these constant job searches?

man1930 2 years, 6 months ago

The culture of what you complain about is applicable to every school in the county. You speak so highly of Jeff Meadors....why not ask him to resolve these issues. Before I came to this community, I visited it and got a good impression. My grad school friends from Emory sold me on this community. I have kids in another HIGH SCHOOL.....I am involved, I will not allow an Administrator mistreat my child no me, as I have a say in their future. I am up to date i my taxes. These inuendos of trash talking is very juvenile as in ithe WENDY'S commercial "WHERE'S THE BEEF??" YOU NEED TO JOIN "CELEBRATING OUR COMMUNITY" I have written my representative and received a positive response. I encourage you to do the same. Were you in attendence at the Ground Breaking for the CAREER ACADEMY?.....did you listen to Mr. Cagle? or his politics blocked our ears! ! We have much to do in this community....I AM A COMMITEE OF ONE! !

John 2 years, 6 months ago

I always thought a Committee was made up of more than 1 person - unless your committee is made up of Me, Myself & I (as in Irene).

amp72 2 years, 6 months ago

The culture of what you complain about is applicable to every school in the county. * Wrong, Eastside, Heard-Mixon, East Newton, just to name a few have a handle on discipline, dress code, teacher morale, etc. No they are not perfect but they also don't have fist fights, rampant drugs, smoking IN the school, or food fights like Alcovy. Even Newton HS has gotten better.

You speak so highly of Jeff Meadors....why not ask him to resolve these issues. * News Flash- He is TRYING. The problem is people who fear change and reform are trying to stop him. Trust me, he is not the problem.

Before I came to this community, I visited it and got a good impression. My grad school friends from Emory sold me on this community. * Same here. The problem is not the community, it is a handful of bad apples.

I have kids in another HIGH SCHOOL.....I am involved, I will not allow an Administrator mistreat my child no me, as I have a say in their future. * Again, same here. I am involved too, and the problem is not administrators harming children but administrators and others who are ill-equipped for the jobs they were given. The stakes are too high to look away.

I am up to date i my taxes. * OK. Good job. Not sure what you mean by this but anyway.

These inuendos of trash talking is very juvenile as in ithe WENDY'S commercial "WHERE'S THE BEEF??" * There is no "innuendo." We have identified the problems in this county and are waiting on those in leadership positions to do their jobs. Since you quote Wendy's, I'll quote Burger King. We are tired of a select few living by the "Have it Your Way" mentality.

YOU NEED TO JOIN "CELEBRATING OUR COMMUNITY" * I do celebrate my community, and I also do a lot to speak out and change the things that are hurting my community. You need to pull your head out of the sand and do the same.

I have written my representative and received a positive response. I encourage you to do the same. * Done and done. Numerous times.

Were you in attendence at the Ground Breaking for the CAREER ACADEMY?.....did you listen to Mr. Cagle? or his politics blocked our ears! ! * No I was not. But I fail to see what that has to do with this current situation. I am not the one being investigated by the AG because of an illegal meeting designed to silence a critic of the current system.

We have much to do in this community....I AM A COMMITEE OF ONE! ! * I am a committee of one as well. We DO have much to do and we are trying to do it.

kiwanisauditor 2 years, 6 months ago

Parents who addressed the board Tuesday night noted neither Gray nor Carpenter is from a district with a makeup similar to JPS. Both men are in smaller school districts.

Neither has experience with turning around troubled districts and crisis management, Larkin said.

Amy Forbes, who has two children in JPS, asked the board "not to settle for anything less than what they (students) deserve, what they need."

Monica Cannon, Jennifer West and others from the Midtown community met Sunday to discuss the candidates and raised questions about both men Tuesday night.

"What we heard and what we wanted, it didn't match," Cannon said of Gray and Carpenter.

The district needs someone equipped to immediately handle the problems in JPS, West said.

"What they're doing is the same old thing, just with a new shirt on," she said of Gray and Carpenter.

Satan69 2 years, 6 months ago

Four JPS board members - President Monica Gilmore-Love, Vice President Linda Rush, Secretary Tim Collins and Ivory Phillips - have volunteered to travel to Newton County - they's a coming tomorrow Thursday April 19th.

Henrycounselor 2 years, 6 months ago

ON TODAY please stop getting arrested in my buildin.

Watermelonlover 2 years, 6 months ago

more arrests at the high school it never ends - hey Man 1930 it is not Meadors job to fix anything. How can he fix anything with Johnson attacking his every move. It is Matthews job to fix this and it is long overdue.

Calisweetheart 2 years, 6 months ago

My husband said every teacher at Alcovy was "given" a 20.00 book by Keith L. Brown. Is this man related to LaQuanda Brown Carpenter and how were these books paid for?

Calisweetheart 2 years, 6 months ago

actually there were 3 more arrests at Prison 36 today

Beautifulblueeyes 2 years, 6 months ago

Teachers at Social Circle up in arms over Newton Operations guy wanting in our system. Call your board members in Social Circle. DON"T LET THIS HAPPEN

Megirl 2 years, 6 months ago

Jackson MS schools is here. Spread the joy. So what is the choice - Social Circle Schools or Jackson Schools or is it just any which way and loose.