Monday, October 10, 2011
© Copyright 2013
COVINGTON -- Classes were briefly delayed at the Newton County Theme School at Ficquett on Monday morning after an air conditioning unit caught fire.
When school Principal Ruth Anne Smith arrived at the school on Monday morning, she discovered smoke in the hallways, according to Sherri Davis-Viniard, director of Public Relations at the Newton County School System.
"She called 911, and the fire department responded," Viniard said.
Viniard said the fire department found that a small fire resulted when the wiring shorted in an older HVAC unit in a classroom on the fifth-grade hallway.
"The HVAC unit is actually on the outside of the building but the smoke came into the building," Viniard said. "Once the fire department got there and found the problem, the students were allowed into the building. Maintenance had the smoke odor resolved relatively quickly."