0

Covington Walmart evacuated in fire scare Friday afternoon

COVINGTON -- A fire scare sent customers and employees scurrying from the Covington Walmart store Friday afternoon in the midst of the Black Friday shopping frenzy.

It turned out to be an electrical short in one of the deli cabinets which produced a small amount of smoke, according to Covington Fire Department Capt. Tony Smith.

"The store was only closed down for about 30 minutes and we're going to isolate the issue and maintenance is going to come in and fix it," Smith said.

The call to the fire department came in about 1:24 p.m. and by 2, the store was reopening.