Two fires fought by Covington Fire Dept. Friday and Saturday

COVINGTON -- The Covington Fire Department was busy over the weekend with house fire calls on Friday and Saturday.

Friday afternoon about 12:30, firefighters were called to 9316 Tara Drive after a fire was spotted coming from the second floor of a home.

"Our guys found a kitchen fire that had extended into the attic," said Assistant Fire Marshal Capt. Tony Smith.

An investigation into the incident determined that a nephew of the home owner had skipped school and he and his friend cooked French fries and then left the house and left the stove on.

Smith estimated damages to property and contents would be approximately $150,000.

During the early morning hours Saturday, CFD firefighters received a report of a fire at 4221 Robinson St., behind OHCO fabrics. A Covington Police Department officer spotted the blaze, which was already producing heavy smoke and flames.

"When we arrived, we saw it was a fully-involved structure fire and we went into a defensive mode and extinguished the fire. The home was a total loss," Smith said.

No one was living in the house at the time of the fire as the homeowner was in the process of renovating the old, 800 to 1,000-square-foot frame house.

"He had been burning construction debris in his fireplace -- paneling and other wood products," Smith said. "He had actually dismantled a portion of the fireplace during the renovation which, therefore, led to air gaps which allowed the heat and flames from inside the fireplace to extend to other combustibles in the area and caught the house on fire."

Smith said the homeowner said he had left the home about 5 p.m. Friday and that he had been burning debris all day.

Smith said it was a 100 percent loss and probably amounted to about $60,000.