Students can transfer under state law

Photo by Howard Reed

Photo by Howard Reed

COVINGTON -- Parents who wish to have their Newton County children transferred to a different school than where they are assigned next school year have less than a month to submit a request.

Under House Bill 251, the Quality Basic Education Act, which was signed into law in May 2009, Georgia parents can request to transfer their students to other schools in the district as long as there is classroom space available at the school after its assigned students have been enrolled.

The Newton County School System last week identified eight schools as potentially eligible to receive students whose parents wish to transfer their child under the provisions of HB 251. The schools are East Newton Elementary School, Flint Hill Elementary School, Middle Ridge Elementary School, Oak Hill Elementary School, Porterdale Elementary School, South Salem Elementary School, Clements Middle School and Veterans Memorial Middle School.

Based on enrollment projections for next school year, NCSS will have 385 available slots.

East Newton Elementary School has 25 slots -- 10 in kindergarten and five each in first, third and fourth grades. Flint Hill Elementary has 150 slots, or 25 each in kindergarten through fifth grade. Middle Ridge has 45 slots -- six in kindergarten, five in second grade, eight in third grade, 10 in fourth grade and 16 in fifth grade. Oak Hill has 35 slots -- six in kindergarten, four in first grade, five in third grade and 10 each in second and fifth grades. Porterdale has 20 slots -- five each in third and fourth grades and 10 in fifth grade. South Salem has 30 slots, or five each in grade level from kindergarten through fifth grade.

Clements and Veterans Memorial middle schools have 40 slots each -- 10 each in sixth grade and 15 each in seventh and eighth grade.

No slots are available at any high school.

A student who transfers to another school may continue to attend that school until the student completes all grades of the school.

Parents who transfer their child under HB 251 will assume all costs and responsibilities associated with transporting the child to and from the selected school, if the request is granted.

Interested parents must complete a transfer request form, which is available for download at www.newtoncountyschools.org, and return it by faxing it to 770-784-4969 or hand delivering it to the receptionist at the Newton County Board of Education, which is located at 2109 Newton Drive N.E. in Covington.

The deadline for submission is by 5 p.m. July 18.

Should the number of transfer requests for a school exceed the available capacity, a public lottery will be held to determine which students receive slots.

Letters will be mailed to parents regarding acceptance or denial of HB 251 transfer requests no later than July 20.

More information is available by contacting the NCSS department of Student Services at 770-787-1330, ext. 1205.