Brothers' fight ends in stabbing

Photo by Howard Reed

Photo by Howard Reed

COVINGTON — A fight between two brothers ended with one of them hospitalized after being severely stabbed Monday night, according to the Covington Police Department.

CPD spokesman Ken Malcom said both brothers Ricky Jeff, 42, and Milton Jeff, 44, face charges of aggravated assault in connection with the incident.

Malcom said the incident occurred around 10:45 p.m. in the front yard of a residence on Morris Drive.

"Milton, the victim of the stabbing, struck the perpetrator, Ricky, several times and after being struck several times, Ricky Jeff pulled out a knife and stabbed (Milton) in the shoulder area and in the neck and then cut an area of his neck around his Adam's apple," Malcom said.

Milton Jeff was transported to Atlanta Medical Center and is expected to fully recover from his wounds, Malcom said.

He said detectives are still seeking Ricky Jeff and they expect he will turn himself in.

"Several witnesses were interviewed and the statements were pretty consistent that it was a family fight that escalated into a very violent altercation," Malcom said.

In other crime news, the Newton County Sheriff's Office is seeking at least four suspects believed to be connected to two armed robberies that took place Friday in the early morning hours at the Somerset apartment complex near Bruster's ice cream store on Salem Road.

NCSO Public Information Officer Deputy Courtney Morrison said a friend of one of the victims called in the report of an armed robbery and when deputies arrived on the scene and began interviewing witnesses, discovered there were actually two incidents that took place near the same time.

In the first incident, a 19-year-old man reported he was leaving a party at the complex around 3 a.m. and was in the parking lot when he was approached from behind by four young men.

"He was struck with what he believes to have been a handgun and then the men came around in front of him and one of them pointed a gun at him," Morrison said. "They demanded he empty his pockets and give them cash."

The thieves took a cell phone and an undisclosed amount of cash from the young man. Before fleeing on foot, they threatened that if he told anybody they would come back and shoot up the apartment complex, Morrison said.

The only description he gave of the culprits was that they were black men. He does not live in the area and did not recognize them.

The second incident happened nearby while another 19-year-old victim was sitting on the playground of the same complex. However, this time he was approached by only one black male.

"The one subject approached him and asked if he had change. The victim was going to give him change, but then the perpetrator pulled out a gun and said, ‘Never mind. Just give me all of it,'" Morrison said, adding that the victim gave the perpetrator all of his money and the suspect took off running.

Investigators believed the two incidents are connected and are in the process of interviewing residents of the complex. If anyone has any information on either of the incidents, they should phone the NCSO at 678-625-1400. Tips can be given to the NCSO anonymously at 678-625-5007 or through their website at www.newtonsheriffga.org and clicking on "anonymous tips." Those who want a response from NCSO personnel should leave contact information.

A man was arrested Tuesday afternoon after he allegedly tried to choke a 66-year-old woman who crashed into his vehicle, according to a CPD incident report.

Shakeem Himself Allah, 42, who received a ticket for failure to yield right of way in connection with the traffic accident, was also arrested and charged with simple battery and cruelty to children in the third degree.

The crash occurred on U.S. Highway 278 near TitleMax around 3:30 p.m. When the officer arrived on the scene, witnesses told him the driver of a burgundy Jeep had exited his vehicle following the crash, yelling, "You hit my car," and then he pushed the woman driver of a Kia and put his hands around the woman's throat and started choking her.

One of the witnesses intervened and stopped the man from choking the woman.

The man told the officer, "that she got in his face, so he pushed her away."

The officer noted that the woman, who had her three grandchildren and a 2-year-old with her, did not have any visible marks on her, but "was favoring her left arm."