Newton couple robbed at gunpoint in home

COVINGTON -- A man and wife were robbed in their home Wednesday morning by two suspects who may have intended to burglarize the house.

Newton County Sheriff's Office Lt. Tyrone Oliver said the Sheriff's Office was notified of the incident in the Lake Charles subdivision off Smith Store Road at about 9:45 a.m.

"The two victims were home at the time," Oliver said. "Two black males entered the garage area and entered the home demanding money."

Oliver said the suspects ordered the couple to lie face down on the floor, which prevented the victims from getting a good description of the suspects. One of the suspects is believed to have been armed with a handgun.

The suspects demanded money, but when the couple said they didn't have any, they took the husband's wallet and ran away on foot.

The victims were not physically harmed in the incident.

"We believe they were probably there to burglarize the house and didn't believe anyone was home," Oliver said. "Once they were confronted by the homeowners they demanded money, but they didn't have any money so (the suspects) took the husband's wallet and fled."

Comments

billyp66 3 years ago

I hate to say it more of this thug crime in Covington. If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck its a duck.

Folks crime as become s bad in Newton County, and I will be glad when I retire so I can move to somewhere alot more decent. I know crime can happen anywhere but Newton County used not have this kind of crime until a certain majority of people move in.

UGAFan 3 years ago

It appears that MRknowITall lives in the county of Da'nile!

John 3 years ago

Just a note & comment - today I saw a work detail of people in detention working around the Square today. There were an even number wearing those orange vests. Half wear dark skinned prisoners & the other were Caucasian (with shaved heads). Thugs, thieves, murderers, rapist etc are dispersed in all people groups. Within the last year, I caught three Caucasian young adult age 18-20 males trying to break into my car. I ran them off (didn't have my S&W only my dog on leash) & called the Sheriffs Dept. and it only took them 25-30 minutes to respond - those "thugs" had time to get to Alabama! I & others know who the 3 are but the Sheriff's Deputies can't do anything unless they catch them in the act". Two of them were caught recently - good thing! These "thugs" know about law enforcement slow reaction time & that the deputies are handcuffed thanks to "liberal" policies & regulations.

For the record I am a conservative WASP & live in a decent neighborhood near the Hub.

pt3000 3 years ago

The majority is still white, don't count us out yet, what we need are leaders who aren't scared of offending anyone and increasing the minimum square footage of new houses so that they will be more expensive and push the riff raff back to Rockdale and DeKalb counties.

John 3 years ago

The people of Newton County need to support the need to increase the size of of our sheriff department so they can have sufficient number of deputies to patrol this rather large in size county. The "bad guys" know the sheriffs department is short handed due to the budget cuts & take full advantage of the opportunity of low risk "easy pickins". Oh, this might mean a tax increase but it does take $$ to add staff to "protect & serve".
The people of Newton County need to let the Board of Commissioners know - it's easy to do - they all have e-mail addresses. I have how about you & the other residence of NC? Posting on this site won't get the job done. The same goes for the various city police departments. New building codes won't help at this time, the building boom is over and a rebound is "somewhere off in the distant future - some project 10 years away - way too many empty existing homes".

anonymous 3 years ago

Has anyone thought about that Newton County has done away with the Aternative Learning School(Sharp), basically puting quite a few kids out of school. So I would expect a quite a few more burgularies and robberies during the day. Just saying..........

johndoemo 3 years ago

Why should the taxpayers put money out for delinquents? If they can't act civilized in a regular classroom then lock them up in a bootcamp. An alternative school is an idea put in place by bleeding heart liberals.

nc_citizen64 3 years ago

Thank goodness the comment section is back. I have back my entertainment. No realty show can compete with the circus of ignorance in this county!

John 3 years ago

Sorry, Sharp is still being used but is under the control of Ombudsman - last mentioned on August 16, 2011 in the Newton Citizen

conyersgirl 3 years ago

okay i know my username is conyersgirl but i live in newton county. with the new website making us sign up to post i was reading rockdale's citizen at the time. ANYWAYS.......ARMED CITIZENS PEOPLE!! & alarms on yours houses. it is sad however that we have to keep our houses locked up tight even while we are in them but that is what it has come to. even when i am outside in my yard i am "CARRYING" so bad guys beware because i live right around the corner down the road from smith store.