Friday, August 19, 2011
© Copyright 2014
COVINGTON -- The Newton County Fire Service answered a call for help Wednesday afternoon on Oak Hill Road and found a kitchen fire, according to NCFS Chief Mike Satterfield.
Thre chief said firefighters were dispatched at 3:02 p.m. to the 1,200-square-foot frame home at 1438 Oak Hill Road.
"The fire was contained to the kitchen and an adjoining laundry room," he said. "But there was heat and smoke damage throughout the house."
He said the cause of the fire was grease left on the stove unattended.
He said the home was uninhabitable after the fire and firefighters disconnected utility services to the home as a safety precaution. He did not have an estimate of the amount of damages.
"The lady's insurance company already had someone there before we even left," Satterfield said, adding that the resident had also been put in touch with the American Red Cross.