Bank robbery suspect struck by Conyers police car, dies

Photo by Kavontae Smalls

Photo by Kavontae Smalls

CONYERS -- The bank robbery suspect injured in a police chase Thursday died at Grady Memorial Hospital. Georgia State Patrol said the man was struck by a police car driven by Conyers Police Chief Gene Wilson.

According to the GSP, Arthur Hayse, 40, of Lithonia, died from his injuries following the police chase that ended at the Iris Glen Apartment complex in Conyers.

GSP spokesman Gordy Wright said Hayse was the passenger of the Infiniti sedan being chased. Hayse and the driver, Rickey Brown, Jr., 32, of Decatur, attempted to jump out of their moving vehicle when the accident occurred.

"He attempted to flee on foot by jumping from the moving vehicle," said Wright. "He stumbled, hit Chief Wilson's bumper and went under the vehicle."

The men were suspects in the robbery of the Bank of North Georgia branch, located at 3207 Salem Road in Newton County. Conyers Police spotted the car and gave chase.

The Newton County Sheriff's Office said investigators were unsure if a weapon was used in the bank robbery and Brown currently faces a charge of robbery by intimidation. Brown also has charges from the city of Conyers filed against him.

Brown was transported to the Newton County Detention Center, according to Wright.

David Spann, city of Conyers chief operating officer, said Friday the city will put Wilson on administrative leave. He explained Wilson was having a surgical procedure done that was planned in advance and it will keep him out of the office for about two weeks.

Spann said he expects the GSP to complete their investigation by that time. The city will determine what action it will take based on the investigation.

"He won't be able to actively run the department because of the surgery, so he'll be on a prearranged medical leave and his two majors will run the day-to-day operations of the department," Spann said. "I'm sure when he's healthy enough to come back and run things, we will be far enough along with the investigation for them to know whether or not any further action will need to be taken."