COVINGTON -- Little ghouls and goblins won't have any trouble finding a place to have fun this Halloween, as both Newton and Rockdale churches and organizations are offering plenty of activities.
Halloween falls on Sunday this year, and while some organizations are hosting events on Saturday, and it's always up to individual families when to celebrate, trick-or-treating will likely take place on the official holiday, according to Josephine Kelly, director of Main Street Covington and Jennifer Edwards, director of public relations and tourism for the city of Conyers.
Edwards said that "while we're not holding an official Halloween event, we are erring on the side of tradition and advising that trick-or-treaters will likely be out on Sunday evening."
A portion of north Main Street, from Rosser Street to College Avenue, will be closed from 6 to 9 p.m. Sunday for trick-or-treating in the Olde Town area.
Prior to heading out on the town in Covington, families are invited to the Square for First Baptist Church of Covington's Harvest for the Hungry Fall Festival. The event takes place from 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday and aims to raise awareness about hunger and generate donations for the local food pantry. Canned food donations are requested in lieu of an admission fee. The event is being done in partnership with the Community Food Pantry and Main Street Covington.
Kids can play games to earn candy and other prizes, and there will be free hot chocolate, apple cider and cotton candy, music and other family-friendly activities.
"I wanted it to be more about, 'How can we help each other out?'" said Kristin Sorensen, children's minister at First Baptist Church of Covington. "October on the Southern Baptist calendar is World Hunger Awareness Month, and I wanted to make the community aware of the need and how to give back ... We're really counting on the good will of people."
Below is a list of other events in the area:
* Costumes in the Corn -- Colonel Cob's Corn Maze is offering a free mini pumpkin for those donning a costume on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A haunted house will take place from 6:30-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday for an additional $5 charge. Regular admission to the maze is $8 per person. Children 3 and under are free. Hayrides are an additional $4 or tickets to the maze and hayride can be purchased for $10. The location is 797 Macedonia Church Road in Oxford. Call 770-786-8805 or visit www.colcobscornmaze.com.
* Trunk of Treats, 5 to 7 p.m., Highland Park Baptist Church, 1381 Irwin Bridge Road, Conyers. Candy, free hot dogs, popcorn and activities. Call 770-483-7473.
* Halloween Party, 1 to 3 p.m., Rockdale County Government Complex, 1400 Parker Road, Conyers. For citizens with developmental disabilities, age middle school to 100. Reservations required. Call 770-922-7272.
* Hallelujah Night, 6 p.m., World Covenant Christian Center, 3777 Troupe Smith Road, Conyers. Fun, games and candy. Call 678-565-0378 or visit www.worldcovenant.org.
* Trunk or Treat, 6 to 8 p.m., Trinity Baptist Church, 301 Honey Creek Road, Conyers. Candy, contests, bounce houses, games and refreshments. Call 770-922-8944.
* Halloween Extravaganza, 6:30 p.m., Tech-Able, 1114 Brett Drive, Conyers. For individuals with disabilities, ages 14 and under. Ghoulish games, freaky fun and frightening food. Call 770-922-6768.
* Boo Bash, 7 p.m., Living Way Worship Center, 4051 Ga. Highway 81 S., Covington. A "not so scary" Halloween event featuring a costume contest, karaoke, food, candy and more. Call 770-380-9787.
* Hallelujah Festival, 5 to 7 p.m., Zion Baptist Church, 7037 Ga. Highway 212, Covington. Games, hayrides, treats, scarecrow contest and more. Call 770-786-6767.
* Fall Festival, 4 to 8 p.m., Church 213, located at 1675 Ga. Highway 213, Covington. Fall festival, inflatables, carnival games, crafts, face painting, photos, candy and more. Call 770-385-6304 or visit www.church213.com.
* Ebenezer's Fall Festival, 2 to 4 p.m., Ebenezer United M Methodist Church Activities Center, 2533 Stanton Road, Conyers. Costume contest, hay rides, family photos, inflatables and more. Canned food donations accepted. Call 770-922-8447 or visit www.ebenezerconyers.com.
* Hallelujah Festival, 2:30 to 6:30 p.m., Bethesda Church of Deliverance, 812 Commerce Drive, Conyers. Food, outdoor activities, moonwalks, music, trunk of treats and more. Costumes welcome. Call 770-897-5131.
* Family Fun Night, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Smyrna Campgrounds and Presbyterian Church, 2920 Ga. Highway 212, Conyers. Games, prizes, candy and more.
* Harvest Festival, 2 to 4 p.m., East Newton Baptist Church, 11290 U.S. Highway 278, Covington. Free food, games, bingo, door prizes, candy and more. Call 770-786-6627 or visit www.enchurch.org.