3rd suspect arrested in fatal robbery

Markus Seymore 

Markus Seymore 

CONYERS — Spending the night in a cold, wet storm drain was not enough for one suspect to elude arrest in Thursday's armed robbery of a Conyers video game store and the shooting death of a customer.

Conyers Police arrested Markus Isiah Seymore, 17, of 1572 Hardee St., Atlanta, Friday morning after he was seen by motorists climbing out of a manhole along the westbound lanes of Interstate 20 and crossing traffic toward Iris Drive.

Seymore was identified as the third suspect police were looking for Thursday after they arrested two men following the armed robbery of the Conyers GameStop Store, at 1360 Dogwood Drive. The robbery ended in the death of a man, who police said was a customer who walked into an armed robbery in progress.

"We felt like the third suspect was in the sewer and water system under the shopping center. In fact, that's where he was. He spent the night there," said Conyers Police Chief Gene Wilson. "He told us he was bitten by rats and spiders and all other kinds of animals. He said our dog team got fairly close to him, but he's a fairly small guy and he was able to get into the smaller pipes than our dogs and officers could."

As the calls came in Friday morning, CPD and Rockdale County Sheriff's Office patrol cars were stationed at the Salem Road and Ga. Highway 138 exits at around 8 a.m. as the search began. Seymore led law enforcement on a foot chase across Iris Drive and Old Salem Road before he was captured behind a car wash and the old Billy Bob's skating rink, according to Wilson.

"He ran and it was a heck of a chase down there, but it got to the point that there was just more of us than him," Wilson said.

Friday's foot chase came as a result of one of the more violent crimes reported locally this year.

According to police, two of the three suspects entered the store, locked the front door, and brandished a semi-automatic weapon and a revolver. They tied up a male employee in the back room and were in the process of robbing the store when the customer came in.

The customer, Adrian Tyrone Snow, 40, of Stone Mountain, was let into the store and the robbers attempted to rob him. Snow resisted and was shot in the hand and the shoulder and airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital, where he later died from his injuries.

Police arrested Giovannte Maddox, 27, of 1200 Glenwood Ave., and Tron Lamar Hill, 25, of 1448 Hardee St., both from Atlanta. Hill had given police the fake name Demarkus Lamar Williams when he was arrested, Wilson said.

Also, Wilson confirmed Gwinnett County police had interviewed Maddox and Williams in their investigation of armed robberies of two GameStop stores there.

"They were looking at the likeness between those two robberies and this one, but the difference is that no one was shot," Wilson said.

The vehicle allegedly used in the Conyers armed robbery, a green 1997 Chevy Blazer, was determined to have been carjacked in Atlanta Wednesday, Wilson said.

There was some discussion among detectives after the armed robbery of whether they were looking for a third suspect. Wilson said he thought he saw movement in a storm drain pipe near the Don Tello's restaurant when he arrived at the scene. Also, clothing and one of the weapons used in the robbery were found at the drain.

"At first, we thought there was (another suspect) from what I had seen. Secondly, we thought there wasn't as we put some other things together — there were only two people involved in the carjacking in Atlanta," Wilson said. "But then as we went on through the night we became more convinced there was a third suspect, and then this morning he popped up on I-20 like a little gopher."

All three men have been charged with two counts of armed robbery, one count of kidnapping for tying up the store employee, two counts of aggravated assault and one count each of obstruction of law enforcement officers and weapon charges.

Wilson said murder charges were pending further investigation to determine who fired the gun that killed Snow.

"We're still trying to determine who did what, but the picture is becoming a little more clearer now," he said.

All three were being held Friday at the Rockdale County Jail awaiting their first appearance in Magistrate Court scheduled for Monday.

Click here to play the 911 Call to Conyers PD