Victim filed court order against boyfriend

COVINGTON — Reports have come to light that show the 19-year-old victim who was shot dead at a convenience store Sunday night by her estranged boyfriend had done all the law allows in an effort to protect herself after he forced their infant son to kiss the bullet he vowed he would use to kill her.

Audrey Savon Atkinson had filed a temporary protective order, or TPO, against Anthony Michael Barrow, 22, when he had threatened to shoot and kill her on Feb. 27.

In Georgia, a TPO is a court order to help protect a victim from someone who is abusing, threatening or harassing them. The order requires the abuser to stay away from the victim, their home and their place of employment or from contacting the person in any way. Getting a TPO does not mean the abuser goes to jail, but makes it easier for the police to arrest the abuser for coming near the victim later.

According to the Newton County Sheriff's Office, the order was served on Barrow at 7:30 p.m. March 3, four days before he made good on his threat.

Atkinson had also filed a report with the Conyers Police Department earlier in the day on March 3, advising them Barrow had threatened her once again over the phone and that she had word from a friend that he had been "calling around asking all his friends to give him a ride to (the Conyers) Chili's," where Atkinson was employed.

According to the incident report, Atkinson told Conyers officers that Barrow had called her cell phone while she was on her way to take the couple's 8-month-old son to a babysitter and they had gotten into an argument.

"Atkinson said during the course of the argument, (Barrow) made several threatening statements such as ‘your days are numbered' and ‘we will meet again very soon.'" the report stated. "Atkinson said at this point she informed him she had taken a temporary protection order out against him. She said (Barrow) replied saying ‘you don't keep me from anything.' When Atkinson asked what he meant by that statement, he responded saying ‘don't worry about it, just know I will see you again very soon.'"

About 8:30 p.m., which according to NCSO records would have been an hour after Barrow was served with the TPO, Atkinson told officers she received a text from Barrow, asking if she'd be at work "tomorrow."

Atkinson told the CPD officer that on Feb. 27 she and Barrow had gotten into an argument which ended with her telling him she was moving out of the home at 55 Wellington Trail in Covington where they had lived with Barrow's grandparents.

"Atkinson said while packing some of her belongings (Barrow) pushed her to the ground and then kicked her ... and (he) made several threats telling her he was going to kill her and made their son kiss one of the bullets to his handgun. Atkinson said (Barrow) told her he was going to kill her with the bullet (their son) had kissed," the incident report states.

Monday morning, after shooting and killing Atkinson about 10 p.m. Sunday at Liberty Food Mart at 2080 Crowell Road, Barrow took his own life after a four-hour standoff with Covington/Newton County S.W.A.T. at his home in the Wellington Ridge subdivision.