Special to the Citizen: Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith
J.C. Henderson, second from left, celebrates his victory in the District 4 commissioner’s race Tuesday night alongside his sons Anthony and Jaquan Henderson and Gwen Hubert, his campaign manager. The happy quartet left the Newton County Administration Building shortly after results were posted.
COVINGTON — J.C. Henderson won a fourth term as District 4 commissioner in Tuesday night's primary election.
Henderson took 56.63 percent of the vote, leaving opponent Kenneth Hardeman with 43.37 percent. A total of 1,049 votes were cast, with Henderson getting 594 and Hardeman 455. There is no Republican challenger, meaning the primary decided the race.
"It meant a whole lot to me and my wife and my family," said a celebratory Henderson, who was congratulated with bear hugs from his sons and wife Sandy.
Hardeman said he'll stay active in the community despite his loss.
"I just say the people have spoken. I put forth a good effort. I ran a clean race and an honorable race. I wanted to give the people a choice. I'm still a part of this community, and I'm still going to work as hard as I've always worked to make this community a good place for people to live," he said.
In the District 2 Board of Commissioners race, political newcomer Lanier Sims won the Democratic nomination over incumbent Earnest Simmons.
Sims took 55.54 percent of the vote, with Simmons garnering 44.46 percent. A total of 839 votes were cast — 466 for Sims and 373 for Simmons.
"I want to thank all my supporters, my wife, my parents, my sister and all my close friends," Sims said. "I'm happy, but we're only halfway there. Now we've got to get to work."
Sims will face Republican Ricky Corley in November.
Simmons, who has served one term on the Board of Commissioners, could not immediately be reached for comment.
The results of the election remain incomplete and unofficial until they are certified on Friday, according to an official with the Board of Elections Office.