NCFS: Roof catches on fire from chimney

COVINGTON -- The Newton County Fire Service responded to a call for help at a residence at 3306 Covington Highway Thursday morning.

"We arrived and found fire on the roof and in the attic area of the house," Deputy Chief Tim Smith said. "It was a chimney fire that spilled over onto the roof of the house."

Smith said the two-story, frame house sustained damage to the roof, smoke damage on the second floor and extensive water damage on the first and second floors.

"It had a prefab metal fireplace. The fire originated in that pipe," Smith said. "It's hard to tell now with what's left if it had creosote or soot build-up that may have contributed to the cause."

Smith said the family, who was at home at the time of the fire, reported it at 9:39 a.m. and had a fire burning in the fireplace at the time. They escaped without injuries.

The deputy chief estimated between $100,000 to $115,000 in damages occurred to the dwelling and the contents. He said the total value of the home was around $300,000.

He said NCFS firefighters were able to quickly contain the fire and extinguish it, but remained at the scene for quite some time covering the remaining contents with tarpaulins and plastic.