Couple sitting in car robbed at gunpoint

COVINGTON -- A man flagged down a deputy Monday night and told him he and his girlfriend had just been robbed at gunpoint, according to the Newton County Sheriff's Office.

NCSO spokesman Lt. Mark Mitchell said the couple was at a service station at the intersection of Ga. Highway 81 and Oak Hill Road when the deputy encountered them. The man took the deputy to the location where the robbery reportedly took place at a cul-de-sac off Paladin Drive in the southwestern section of Newton County.

"The victims advised deputies they were sitting in a vehicle talking when three black males approached them and started banging on the windows and the roof of their vehicle with guns," Mitchell said, adding that the incident was said to have occurred about 11:30 p.m.

The couple was robbed of cash, two cell phones, a GPS system and radio speakers from the rear of the automobile. They were not hurt, Mitchell said.

NCSO deputies notified the K-9 Unit and their dogs were brought to the location, but were unsuccessful in tracking the suspects. The couple said they last saw the three men run toward the woodline backing up to Livingston Elementary School. They were unable to give facial or clothing descriptions of the suspects.

Anyone with information on this incident is asked to call the NCSO at 678-625-1400. Tips can be given to the NCSO anonymously at 678-625-5007 or through the Web site at www.newtonsheriffga.org and clicking on "anonymous tips." Those who want a response from NCSO personnel should leave contact information.

In other crime news, a man was arrested after he ignored repeated requests to turn down music that deputies said was so loud it was "vibrating the siding on the house."

Brandon Rishard Grimes, 22, of 290 Lakeside Point, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct about 7:30 p.m. Monday.

Deputies were dispatched to a neighbor's house after a complaint had come in about the music. The woman told deputies she had gone to Grimes' house and requested that he turn down the music, but instead he turned it up after she suggested he needed to do something with his life. She said Grimes told her he didn't have a job and he didn't pay rent. She told deputies that the man lived with his aunt, who had promised to do something about the music, but it has been an ongoing problem. She said music blared every night until about 11 p.m.

According to an NCSO incident report, deputies followed the noise and came to 290 Lakeside Point. "I knocked on the door but the music was so loud that I could barely hear the knocking myself. I knocked several times and rang the door bell," the report states, adding that a second deputy arrived and began knocking on the window of the room the music was coming from, but to no avail.

"About five or 10 minutes later the music turned down just long enough for (the second deputy) to be heard. A subject came to the door. As the subject opened the door he was saying cuss words. I asked the subject to go turn down the music and bring his license back," the report states. "He started to shut the door and I asked him to keep it open. I placed my hand on the door. He slammed the door shut anyway."

Meanwhile, the music was still blaring and the individual did not return, the report states. Deputies began knocking again and Grimes reappeared; however, he did not have his license, nor was the music turned down.

At this point, deputies told him to step outside, he was handcuffed and told he was under arrest for disorderly conduct, according to the report.

They went back in the house to the bedroom where the music was coming from to retrieve Grimes' wallet. "Also, in plain view was a handgun in a holster on his bed," the report states. "We turned off the radio and the house was locked."