CONYERS — Officials at Rockdale County Public Schools soon will start preparing the budget for the 2011-12 school year.
The Rockdale County Board of Education recently approved a budget calendar as recommended by RCPS Superintendent Samuel King that has staff scheduled to present the first parts of the budget next month.
"This budget calendar provides the system and community with a budget time line for critical budget processes and is needed to ensure we complete the budget process in a timely fashion," King said. "This calendar and the processes presented are very similar to past budget calendars. As we have done in past years, we will use a budget committee that will be responsible for the preparation of the system budget."
At A Glance
Rockdale County Public Schools 2011-12 School Year Budget Calendar
• Jan. 13 - Present preliminary staffing
• Jan. 14 - Put budget suggestion forms on the Web site
• Jan. 20 - Approval of preliminary staffing
• Jan. 24-Feb. 25 - Budget proposals prepared, reviews, consolidated and approved by administrators
• February-April - Preparation of system budget by budget committee
• Feb. 24 - Public meeting for the purpose of speaking on the budget
• March 10 - Present budget suggestions analysis to board
• April 14* - Present final staffing and proposed salary schedules
• April 21* - Approval of final staffing and salary schedules
• May 12 - Present proposed budget to the board
• May 19 - Board approval of tentative budget
• June 9 - Public hearing for purpose of speaking on the budget
• June 16 - Approval of final budget
• July 21 - Approval of millage rate
Source: Rockdale County Public Schools
*These dates are subject to change.
Although some RCPS officials already are preparing for the next budget cycle, in January they are expected to present and approve a preliminary staffing plan. They also plan to place a budget suggestion form on the website, www.rockdale.k12.ga.us, to gain input from the public.
From February until April, school and system administrators will prepare and review budget proposals at schools and for central office departments, and the budget committee will prepare a system budget.
The first public meeting to discuss the budget is scheduled to be held at 6:45 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 24, in the board room at the RCPS central complex, which is located at 954 N. Main St. in Olde Town Conyers. The next public meeting for budget discussions will be at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, June 9, in the same location.
Staffing and salary schedules will be determined in April, and the school board is expected to adopt a tentative budget on May 19.
The board is expected to approve a final budget on June 16 and a millage rate on July 21.