Oxford man charged in deer killing

Photo by Michael Buckelew

Photo by Michael Buckelew

COVINGTON -- A Gwinnett County case involving the mutilation of an 8-month-old deer took place in the garage of an Oxford man living in Stone Lea subdivision off Macedonia Church Road in Newton County, the Citizen has learned.

The killing of the deer was revealed when Stanley Hugh Ivy, 42, of Lawrenceville sent four postcards to his fiancee, an inmate in the Gwinnett County Jail, which graphically depicted the crime.

"We confiscated the pictures when they came through the mail," said Gwinnett County Sheriff's Department spokesperson Stacey Bourbonnais.

A press release from Bourbonnais stated the photos showed the deer "being led on a leash, then with what appeared to be some type of stab wounds and next mutilated and decapitated.

"Mr. Ivy wrote on each postcard about how he stabbed and choked the young animal to death and went on to describe himself as a 'predator' in the cards," the release states.

Gwinnett authorities contacted the Georgia Department of Natural Resources concerning the case. DNR Ranger Eric Sanders assisted in the investigation.

Deputies approached Ivy at the probation office where he was meeting with his probation officer on Wednesday, Bourbonnais said. "He told deputies that he sent the cards, but he wasn't the one who hurt the deer," she said.

Sanders said he also questioned Ivy, who told him he sent the pictures, but his cousin actually killed the deer in Newton County.

"I asked him where I could find his cousin, and he said, "He's outside in the car," Sanders said.

The cousin, Orvie B. Crawford, 39, of Oxford was found waiting in a vehicle outside the Gwinnett County probation office. He was discovered to be in possession of methamphetamine with a .45-caliber handgun sitting on the seat beside him, Sanders said.

According to Sanders, Crawford readily admitted to killing the deer.

"He said there was a lady in the neighborhood who had a deer in her yard and it was following her around," Sanders said. "Orvie took a rope and wrapped it around the neck of the deer and took it inside his garage. He said he was going to give the deer to the Yellow River Game Ranch, but the deer went ballistic and started tearing up his garage so he took a pistol and shot him and killed him."

Sanders said he then apparently sent the photos to his cousin, who sent them to his fiancee, giving graphic descriptions of killing and mutilating the deer.

Both men face charges in Gwinnett County.

Ivy was charged with possession of illegally taken wildlife, hunting big game without a license, probation violation, animal cruelty and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He is being held in the Gwinnett County Jail without bond.

Crawford was charged with possession of methamphetamine and possession of a weapon during the commission of a felony in Gwinnett County. Sanders charged him in Newton County with cruelty to animals/wildlife, hunting without a license, hunting without a big game license and possession of illegally taken wildlife.

"I charged him with cruelty because he put a rope around the deer's neck, held it and shot it," Sanders said, adding that the crime took place sometime during the week of Thanksgiving, based on the postmark on the postcards sent to the jail.